7 Rams standouts from first week of padded practices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Kinda surprised Wolford was not mentioned. Especially considering it is such a need position

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We all have to make our evals based upon best available information, Elmgrove.

And based upon that info so far this looks like a very good draft.

re-read my first comment. I did not say this was a bad class. I said I was disappointed with them not getting a LB or a Center for the future.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

So, are you still preferring that mock draft, Elmgrove?

Namely,

2. I have no way of telling of I could pull it off but I would have been trying to move up and take Robert Hunt G I'm sure it would cost one of the seconds and one third. Likely 52 and 84. Ruiz was off the board and unreachable.

Pick 57 I'd try to move back a little
2. Logan Wilson lb.

Then in Round 3 trade up from 104 with the extra pick trading back pick 57 and take 3. Cushenberry

I am not a fan of picking injury prone players. Johnston and Lewis are big risks. In round

4 Alton Robinson edge rusher.

5. Eno Benjamin RB.

7. Tyler Davidson TE.

Recap
2. Robert Hunt g
2. Logan Wilson lb
3. Lloyd Cushenberry c
4. Alton Robinson edge
5. Eno Benjamin rb
7. Tyler Davidson te

Now, I want to get this straight, man. You would still trade up in the 2nd for an OG and a LB even though it would cost you Akers and Jefferson? Even with the benefit of hindsight? Seriously?

You would still trade up for Cushenberry in the 3rd while forfeiting both Lewis and Burgess in the process?

Hell, I doubt that Cushenberry could beat out the healthy vet Blythe to start this year.

I can kinda understand your burning love for a C and OG predraft. But now? Not so much. Hindsight tells me that Snead/McVay made 4 brilliant picks to start this draft. And it also tells me that they didn’t share your concern about OL needs. Sorry.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, are you still preferring that mock draft, Elmgrove?

Namely,

2. I have no way of telling of I could pull it off but I would have been trying to move up and take Robert Hunt G I'm sure it would cost one of the seconds and one third. Likely 52 and 84. Ruiz was off the board and unreachable.

Pick 57 I'd try to move back a little
2. Logan Wilson lb.

Then in Round 3 trade up from 104 with the extra pick trading back pick 57 and take 3. Cushenberry

I am not a fan of picking injury prone players. Johnston and Lewis are big risks. In round

4 Alton Robinson edge rusher.

5. Eno Benjamin RB.

7. Tyler Davidson TE.

Recap
2. Robert Hunt g
2. Logan Wilson lb
3. Lloyd Cushenberry c
4. Alton Robinson edge
5. Eno Benjamin rb
7. Tyler Davidson te

Now, I want to get this straight, man. You would still trade up in the 2nd for an OG and a LB even though it would cost you Akers and Jefferson? Even with the benefit of hindsight? Seriously?

You would still trade up for Cushenberry in the 3rd while forfeiting both Lewis and Burgess in the process?

Hell, I doubt that Cushenberry could beat out the healthy vet Blythe to start this year.

I can kinda understand your burning love for a C and OG predraft. But now? Not so much. Hindsight tells me that Snead/McVay made 4 brilliant picks to start this draft. And it also tells me that they didn’t share your concern about OL needs. Sorry.

I followed it up with a second no trade draft.

The thing I find humorous is that you already are certain Akers, Jefferson, Burgess, and Lewis are better than the guys I would have selected. You seem to think they were the best possible picks. GMs get 50% of first rounders wrong, 75% of second rounders and it goes down for each round, every year. You have no idea who will be better than who. I recall Nelson Spruce getting good reviews in camp. Look where he is?

I’d bet Cushenberry will be a Center in the league longer than one year contract Blythe. And again I am not saying the Rams chose bad players. I’d just prefer more needs addressed in different ways. None of us are privileged to be in coaches meetings so there is always a mystery predraft. We also don’t have access to as much predraft info. So I don’t get too uppity about other people’s opinions like you do. But what I can tell you from watching games is that Blythe would not be hard to improve upon. Kiser didn’t wow in the short term when healthy. No linebacker did on the team. . The Oline needs help in the near future. That’s why I have an OT in the second draft and a Center in the first draft. I look at the biggest problems from last year and prefer they get addressed if possible. You don’t. You like anyone Snead picks until they prove not to be good.

I get it you are a giddy kool aid drinking fanboy. But I’m not I see GMs failing every year. So getting all offended by comments and trying to show me up and prove me wrong is a waste of time. You may as well give it up until a few years from now when we have some actual proof.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I followed it up with a second no trade draft.

The thing I find humorous is that you already are certain Akers, Jefferson, Burgess, and Lewis are better than the guys I would have selected. You seem to think they were the best possible picks. GMs get 50% of first rounders wrong, 75% of second rounders and it goes down for each round, every year. You have no idea who will be better than who. I recall Nelson Spruce getting good reviews in camp. Look where he is?

I’d bet Cushenberry will be a Center in the league longer than one year contract Blythe. And again I am not saying the Rams chose bad players. I’d just prefer more needs addressed in different ways. None of us are privileged to be in coaches meetings so there is always a mystery predraft. We also don’t have access to as much predraft info. So I don’t get too uppity about other people’s opinions like you do. But what I can tell you from watching games is that Blythe would not be hard to improve upon. Kiser didn’t wow in the short term when healthy. No linebacker did on the team. . The Oline needs help in the near future. That’s why I have an OT in the second draft and a Center in the first draft. I look at the biggest problems from last year and prefer they get addressed if possible. You don’t. You like anyone Snead picks until they prove not to be good.

I get it you are a giddy kool aid drinking fanboy. But I’m not I see GMs failing every year. So getting all offended by comments and trying to show me up and prove me wrong is a waste of time. You may as well give it up until a few years from now when we have some actual proof.

“Uppity”? ‘Kool aid drinking fan boy’? Why make this personal, Elmgrove?

I thought we were having a friendly back and forth about your mock. Mocks are challenging and I admire anyone who does them.

What was (and still is) puzzling to me is that you sound like you still prefer your mock to the actual Snead draft even after all the raves about those top 4 drafted rookies. That just puzzles the hell outta me. But it’s cool. Lol.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think it was a very strategic draft, not only from the standpoint of addressing immediate needs, but also with an eye towards the future.

Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds are FAs in 2021 and Robert Woods will eventually want a new contract. Van Jefferson is insurance against a possible loss.
Leonard Floyd is a FA in 2021. Terrell Lewis could make him expendable.
Gerald Everett is a FA in 2021. Brycen Hopkins is a potential replacement.
John Johnson is a FA in 2021. The addition of Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller could allow the Rams to absorb the loss if he can't be re-signed.

As for the OL, I don't think this was a particularly deep draft and, by the third round, its highly questionable that the players still on the board were better prospects than guys already on our roster.

As for the early reviews, they are favorable... perhaps more favorable than usual... but I'm waiting for real games before I adopt any opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
“Uppity”? ‘Kool aid drinking fan boy’? Why make this personal, Elmgrove?

I thought we were having a friendly back and forth about your mock. Mocks are challenging and I admire anyone who does them.

What was (and still is) puzzling to me is that you sound like you still prefer your mock to the actual Snead draft even after all the raves about those top 4 drafted rookies. That just puzzles the hell outta me. But it’s cool. Lol.

Your incredulous disbelief that someone can have a differing opinion about this draft leads me to believe that you just can’t stand that someone may not agree with the staff. Why would that be? There are some fans that can not tolerate anyone questioning the staff. I get that impression from you. I used to talk myself into picks being good every year despite being disappointed in other players being passed over, most often to see those Rams picks flop. So I stick to my guns and stand by what I originally thought these days. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, maybe I’ll be proven right. I don’t care either way. You shouldn’t either though. But your defiance that I could possibly come up with another draft that I liked then your little “I’ll wait” comment was mockery. So I made some assumptions regarding your stance. Forgive me if I’m wrong but your the one who originally took issue with me being disappointed in not addressing what I feel are two major needs. I’m not the only one btw.

The fact that you seem to find it absurd that I still have not changed my stance further reinforces my opinion of the type of fan you are. This is training camp. I recall many players excelling in camp that got cut. We’ve heard great things about Van Jefferson but nothing outside the usual draft pick hype on the others. I am also a firm believer that it takes a very rare Runningback to be successful without good run blocking. So how great will Akers possibly be? Is he Steven Jackson? Even Dickerson needed holes.

Now if this class ends up being as great and impossible to dislike as you now think it is. I’ll admit I was wrong, but only if the Oline doesn’t hold the Rams back from the playoffs or if the linebackers don’t let the defense get gouged by long runs all season. Maybe Snead and Company are playing for the long haul, but since Olinemen take longer to develop and skill position players usually less time, then drafting skill position players is like putting the cart before the horse. I really like the Burgess pick. Lewis is a bit high for an injury prone player. The rest is a crapshoot. If they come out of this in a few years with a great receiver, good runningback, and good safety are you going to call it a smashing success, especially if they are still struggling with the offensive line and ilb position along with the decline or departure of other key pieces?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Reference the future center issue....I would strongly suggest that Snead first start looking in this area other than drafting a OC in the draft. Snead's past resume on drafting & finding good starting OL'ers is poor. I would suggest a PIP {Performance Improvement Plan} in this one area be done. I would take aim @ Colts Center Ryan Kelly.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Reference the future center issue....I would strongly suggest that Snead first start looking in this area other than drafting a OC in the draft. Snead's past resume on drafting & finding good starting OL'ers is poor. I would suggest a PIP {Performance Improvement Plan} in this one area be done. I would take aim @ Colts Center Ryan Kelly.
I agree, not only because Snead's OL drafting is suspect, but we wouldn't have to red shirt a 2021 draft pick C.
Good call, and nice reference.
I do agree @Rams43 , the draft wasn't deep at OL / C anyway, and the picks we made are looking golden right now, both from a contract standpoint + they just downright rock! I can see our first 5 draft picks starting in 2020. All were "need" picks too. RB, WR, OLB, S/CB, all were positions we needed help with + the picks met the value -- actually I think we got steals at each pick.

I just wish we were able to upgrade from Blythe. IMO He wouldn't start on any other team. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree, not only because Snead's OL drafting is suspect, but we wouldn't have to red shirt a 2021 draft pick C.
Good call, and nice reference.
I do agree @Rams43 , the draft wasn't deep at OL / C anyway, and the picks we made are looking golden right now, both from a contract standpoint + they just downright rock! I can see our first 5 draft picks starting in 2020. All were "need" picks too. RB, WR, OLB, S/CB, all were positions we needed help with + the picks met the value -- actually I think we got steals at each pick.

I just wish we were able to upgrade from Blythe. IMO He wouldn't start on any other team. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

I agree with your Blythe comment. I do not think there is a center on the roster that could start on another team. I wish they would have been able to get a center this year or last. Iirc McCoy was available two years ago when the Rams picked. He may not be pro bowl material right now but Id bet he has a better career going forward than Blythe. Plus he’d be on year two already.

I really think Snead has that old school mentality that Olinemen can be found anywhere in the draft and be successful. With so many college teams running the spread offense that is not so anymore. Too many come in with no pro blocking experience and they have much to learn plus they are much harder to evaluate without NFL blocking techniques on tape. So if there are some good ones the value goes up because later picks come with more questions and more of a gamble. So it’s more difficult to hit on these late round Oline picks.

Throw in that the much better athletes are on the defensive lines in college and high school because the short three second blocking time of a Spread offense Olinemen does not require the same amount of skill and athleticism as the DLine requires. There are simply fewer top athletes to be found playing college Oline than there was before the spread. So waiting until after round 2 to pick them each year has gotten much more difficult.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Your incredulous disbelief that someone can have a differing opinion about this draft leads me to believe that you just can’t stand that someone may not agree with the staff. Why would that be? There are some fans that can not tolerate anyone questioning the staff. I get that impression from you. I used to talk myself into picks being good every year despite being disappointed in other players being passed over, most often to see those Rams picks flop. So I stick to my guns and stand by what I originally thought these days. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, maybe I’ll be proven right. I don’t care either way. You shouldn’t either though. But your defiance that I could possibly come up with another draft that I liked then your little “I’ll wait” comment was mockery. So I made some assumptions regarding your stance. Forgive me if I’m wrong but your the one who originally took issue with me being disappointed in not addressing what I feel are two major needs. I’m not the only one btw.

The fact that you seem to find it absurd that I still have not changed my stance further reinforces my opinion of the type of fan you are. This is training camp. I recall many players excelling in camp that got cut. We’ve heard great things about Van Jefferson but nothing outside the usual draft pick hype on the others. I am also a firm believer that it takes a very rare Runningback to be successful without good run blocking. So how great will Akers possibly be? Is he Steven Jackson? Even Dickerson needed holes.

Now if this class ends up being as great and impossible to dislike as you now think it is. I’ll admit I was wrong, but only if the Oline doesn’t hold the Rams back from the playoffs or if the linebackers don’t let the defense get gouged by long runs all season. Maybe Snead and Company are playing for the long haul, but since Olinemen take longer to develop and skill position players usually less time, then drafting skill position players is like putting the cart before the horse. I really like the Burgess pick. Lewis is a bit high for an injury prone player. The rest is a crapshoot. If they come out of this in a few years with a great receiver, good runningback, and good safety are you going to call it a smashing success, especially if they are still struggling with the offensive line and ilb position along with the decline or departure of other key pieces?

I’m practically speechless, Elmgrove. I just don’t get the hostility, man.

But you are certainly entitled to your opinions. I’m done.