$7.2 billion was distributed to NFL teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ds-show-nfl-distributed-7-2-billion-to-teams/

Packers’ financial records show NFL distributed $7.2 billion to teams
Posted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2015

dollars.jpg
Getty Images

Only one NFL team must disclose financial information, because only one NFL team is owned by the public. The Packers are that team, and they released their latest annual report on Monday.

Via Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the team reported $226.4 million in so-called “national” revenues, which means that the NFL distributed that much to each team.

Which means that more than $7.2 billion was distributed by the league office via TV deals and other shared revenue streams.

The Packers also reported record revenues of $375.7 million, with local revenues of $149.3 million.

The ever-increasing numbers mean that teams keep getting more and more valuable. And that continues to be one of the great disparities between owners and players. Yes, both sides are sharing the money that’s being made. But only one side has equity — and that equity keeps getting more and more valuable.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And yet owners continue to ask for more tax payer $ for stadiums. It is borderline insanity.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And they won't pay the cheerleaders and for goal line and sideline cameras.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And yet owners continue to ask for more tax payer $ for stadiums. It is borderline insanity.
whats up with that?!? Greed is something isn't it? Damn...why the hell do they charge so much for food, drinks & parking?!? Hell, they should be giving some shit away...Jersey's all $100+....mugs, cups, stuffed animals....got me thinking, I wonder what Disneyland makes out here?!?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Don't worry guys, once the owners have enough money, they will totally spend more more of it on giving us a better product. Once they are rich enough, they will drop prices and pay for their own stadiums. I mean, why wouldn't they?
/sarcasm

Seriously though, there is money to be made, even in small markets. Owners only have to build a consistently competitive team and not fuck with your fanbase.

Last edited:

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Not to mention that all major sports franchises are pretty much guaranteed to increase in value every year. Just look at the Clippers - Donald Sterling paid $12 million for them in 1981, and sold them for $2 billion last year.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
So, each team is seeing approx $375M in top line revenues, less approx $135M in player salaries, less another $15M in coaches salaries, and probably another $5M in staff salaries, netting them $220M. But then we have stadium lease fees, travel costs, operational expenses. I betcha they net approximately $75M after all expenses are paid. That's a nice payday for the owners, but it's not ridiculous either.

The league is not as rich as it makes it self out to be, but lots of people do get a nice living from pro football.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It doesn't bother me that the teams are making money. I mean, it's a business. I'd expect to make a good return, as an owner.

But... It's the spiraling upward that troubles me. The price of tickets. Concessions. Gear. All of it.

You can argue that it's a supply and demand thing. Fans are willing to pay the prices. But... Can most? How many fans are being shutout from games because their family can't afford it?

When your stadiums are full of business-purchased tickets and/or the most wealthy, it might be good for the bottom line... but is it good for your fan base?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It doesn't bother me that the teams are making money. I mean, it's a business. I'd expect to make a good return, as an owner.

But... It's the spiraling upward that troubles me. The price of tickets. Concessions. Gear. All of it.

You can argue that it's a supply and demand thing. Fans are willing to pay the prices. But... Can most? How many fans are being shutout from games because their family can't afford it?

When your stadiums are full of business-purchased tickets and/or the most wealthy, it might be good for the bottom line... but is it good for your fan base?

Exactly. They charge as much as they can. It is too expensive. If I ever get to a Rams a game with my son it is going to cost me around $500.00 until I am done. It seems quite apparent that it isn't necessary. Hell, with what they are making they could make attending the games free and it wouldn't hurt any of them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/29/tom-brady-appeal-packers-financial-report-nfl-prosperity

NFL Business is Booming

The Packers' annual financial report is the only public peek into the NFL's books, and this year's summary revealed some eye-popping numbers for a league battling crises at every turn.
by Andrew Brandt

Business is booming

The Green Bay Packers Annual Report, released earlier this month, represents not only the financial statement on the condition of the Packers but also presents a much more impactful financial statement about the NFL as a whole. Based on a single line item in the statement, the NFL has never been more prosperous and the brand only seems to be getting stronger.

Despite a year of crises in integrity, domestic violence scandals, questions of leadership at the highest levels, the interminable Deflategate saga and even musings about whether the game can/will survive, business is booming. All of the above were just fender-benders at the side of the road in the NFL’s highway to opulence. Move along, nothing to see here.

Packer Report

Having managed player costs at the Packers for nine years, I vividly remember “Annual Report Day” every year. The public, fans and media could all peer inside the league’s only publicly held franchise and have a glimpse at our revenues, expenses and (inevitable) profit. As the NFL’s only “open book,” that day of the year left us feeling, well, a bit violated.

As to those numbers, total revenue has skyrocketed in the past three years from $300 million to $375 million, a 25% increase. And in the past year, team revenue took a 16% jump alone, up from $324 million. As to this year’s profit number of $39.4 million, that is another 16% jump from the prior year. The Packers are in good shape on and off the field.

packers-camp-rodgers.jpg

Photo by Morry Gash/AP

It was amusing to me that each year on Annual Report Day I would hear from my agent friends with suggestions as to how I could spend some of that profit (on their clients, of course). There were a couple of times where I politely chuckled at that comment and didn’t hear laughter on the other end; the light-hearted conversation turned a bit more conflicted. I would tell them that we certainly had plans for that profit—usually plowing it back into our football operation—but that I appreciated their offer to take that money off our hands.

The conversation about Packer profit and our players was on a micro level. On a more macro level, there is always a deeper conversation between the NFL and the NFLPA about the only team-reported numbers available.

The Books

In 2011, NFL owners came to the collective bargaining negotiations requesting (demanding) a new revenue split due to a changed economic environment since the last CBA in 2006. Thus, the NFLPA’s response—“OK, just to verify: show us your books!”—was a reasonable one, although denied by the owners. Thus, in debating league revenues and profitability, the NFL and NFLPA have often been left to debate the only books available for public viewing—those of the Packers.

Of course, the union and the league have different views on the Packers’ success off the field. From the NFLPA’s view, if the smallest market in all of professional sports can show healthy profits, it is not a stretch to project greater profit margins in larger markets. From the NFL’s point of view, the Packers and their fan base are unique and not representative of all teams. Thus, the negotiation as to “what the Packer books mean” stalemates, with the truth a mystery due to the owners’ unwillingness to show additional data points.

League Distribution

Although the vast majority of the information in the Annual Report is Packer-specific, the key line item indicative of NFL health is the “League Distribution.” This is the amount each of the 32 teams receives annually from the NFL from shared revenue, primarily broadcast and national licensing.

The amount of that check this year was staggering: $226.4 million, an eye-popping 17% increase from last year’s distribution of $187.7 million. In other words, before any team in the NFL turns the lights on, it knows it has $226 million to work with. Putting that number in perspective, the team Salary Cap for 2014 was $133 million meaning that, if teams on average spent to the Cap they have almost $100 million leftover after player costs to use for operations and, of course, profit. And, most importantly, that number is only going up.

As to the Cap, it rose 7% while the League Distribution was rising 17%. And, as for the commensurate rise in team asset values, well, those are skyrocketing. (The Bills, valued at $700 million to $800 million, recently sold for $1.4 billion). In case you haven’t been paying attention, these NFL owners are some diabolical negotiators.

Human Shield

As written often in this space, an unofficial and unsung part of Goodell’s job description is to act as human shield for criticism for the NFL owners. That was no better illustrated than over this past year, when he received loads more criticism about levels of discipline for players involved in domestic violence than the owners of the teams, who applied no discipline.

Owners are thankful to have Goodell as their piñata when necessary. Conversely, when they receive their $226 million check this year from the league, he will get the credit. This is yet another reason why the debate about Goodell losing his job was more an academic discussion than a practical one.

These are truly salad days for NFL owners. The league distribution virtually ensures a profit even from the most mismanaged of teams. Record level broadcast contracts are now kicking in, amplified by the recent manifold increase in the DirecTV deal. The threat of billions of dollars in exposure in a concussion lawsuit has been largely quelled with final approval of a settlement, pending some lingering appeals. A team-friendly CBA is in place another half-decade, ensuring labor costs at a reasonable level. And they are led by a stone-faced commissioner willing to take the hits for them at all turns.

As we open training camps in the NFL, already a time for each team’s fans to look at their squad with rose-colored glasses, the view from an NFL owner’s chair is plenty rosy even without those glasses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe the income from merchandise is separate from this as well. So while the NFL owners don't make all that much in comparison to some other investments it's nice to have the play toy return in the black.

fearsomefour

Legend
It makes me wish that I didnt like football so much.

This level of greed is nauseating.
Just business man.
This is why I will always side with players when it comes to salaries. Supply and demand. There are very few guys who can do this work at a very high level. It is silly for a football player to make whatever, lets say $5 million a year, for what they do. But, it is simple supply and demand. But, they are the guys taking the physical punishment for this product. If profits shot up, lets say $20M for a team I would like to see a fair share of that money go to the guys who are dealing with concussions, broken bones and the like instead of just more profit for an owner who looking at a balance sheet. So it goes.
Business is business. Everything is a rip off outside of the local-barter-farmers market.
When I go to a deli and pay $9.75 for a deli sandwich it costs the guy $2.10 to make I know what I am doing....same for the NFL. The "motivation for profit" is no different, just the stage is bigger.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just business man.
This is why I will always side with players when it comes to salaries. Supply and demand. There are very few guys who can do this work at a very high level. It is silly for a football player to make whatever, lets say $5 million a year, for what they do. But, it is simple supply and demand. But, they are the guys taking the physical punishment for this product. If profits shot up, lets say $20M for a team I would like to see a fair share of that money go to the guys who are dealing with concussions, broken bones and the like instead of just more profit for an owner who looking at a balance sheet. So it goes.
Business is business. Everything is a rip off outside of the local-barter-farmers market.
When I go to a deli and pay $9.75 for a deli sandwich it costs the guy $2.10 to make I know what I am doing....same for the NFL. The "motivation for profit" is no different, just the stage is bigger.

It is still excessive. With that kind of profit from TV alone they could lower costs of games so that less fortunate people could afford to go. No fans, no league. They should figure ways to give back a little. It wouldn't hurt any of them one bit.

MrMotes

Starter
It is still excessive. With that kind of profit from TV alone they could lower costs of games so that less fortunate people could afford to go. No fans, no league. They should figure ways to give back a little. It wouldn't hurt any of them one bit.

They'll charge as much as they can to maximize revenue. Virtually every business does that. If prices get so high that they price fans out of the market and revenue starts to fall, then they'll cut prices, but not until then...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They'll charge as much as they can to maximize revenue. Virtually every business does that. If prices get so high that they price fans out of the market and revenue starts to fall, then they'll cut prices, but not until then...

Oh I get it but then there is a whole lot of fans left out. Excess is excess no matter how it is explained. The NFL is pushing me closer and closer out the door every year. These guys are already filthy. How much is enough?

MrMotes

Starter
Oh I get it but then there is a whole lot of fans left out. Excess is excess no matter how it is explained. The NFL is pushing me closer and closer out the door every year. These guys are already filthy. How much is enough?

There's no such thing as enough in these situations.

If they really do start losing fans, they'll correct, but the NFL is more popular and profitable than ever.

Maybe the average fan gets priced out of going to games but the TV experience is pretty great and it's essentially free...

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
whats up with that?!? Greed is something isn't it? Damn...why the hell do they charge so much for food, drinks & parking?!? Hell, they should be giving some crap away...Jersey's all $100+....mugs, cups, stuffed animals....got me thinking, I wonder what Disneyland makes out here?!?
I think in their minds they think they're doing the city a favor because they know how many tourist dollars they bring in during the season. It's quite a bit. But yeah, it's crazy. The only reason Jerryworld isn't in Dallas is because Laura Miller wouldn't approve however much percentage Jerry wanted. I hate that bitch.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hear ya.
I know the Rams had several games last year with promotions for very inexpensive tickets. That was more to get butts in seats than any sense of social outreach though. Actual ticket sales are such a small part of the team revenue it would barely matter.
The other side of the coin of course is why would they? No business exists to do favors. Buying a reduced rate ticket for $40 or something is not the real issue....it is the total of the experience....paying $20-40 to park and God help you if you want a beer or a hot dog.
If an owner was able to actually be sole owner of all things involved....100% owner of the stadium, parking lots, concession company....it would be interesting to see if that owner would bend costs toward a friendly good fan experience or just gobble more money.

MrMotes

Starter
The Packers are a publicly owned non-profit. For everyone else, it's a profit deal...

jerk.jpg