5 who will generate the most buzz at the combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ll-generate-most-buzz-at-nfl-scouting-combine

Every year, the NFL's top draft prospects gather in Indianapolis to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine (March 3-6 on NFL Network). This is a great opportunity for these players to impress decision makers for all 32 teams, by either testing well on the field during the day or interviewing well in the evenings.

Some players put up eye-popping testing numbers, while others blow away coaches/executives with their football knowledge and personality. Without fail, we will start hearing the buzz build on a handful of players immediately following the event. I reached out to five NFL team executives to get their prediction: Which player will generate the most buzz at this year's combine? Here are their answers:

Executive 1: Ashland TE Adam Shaheen
"He's clearly the third-best tight end in this year's class and I think you'll start to hear first-round buzz about him by the time his workout is finished. It's hard to find tight ends with his combination of size, speed and toughness. He's a unique talent."

Executive 2: Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes
"He will check every box in Indy. Tech was terrible (in 2016) and he didn't get much attention, but everyone will be talking about him after the combine."

Executive 3: Stanford DL Solomon Thomas
"I'm tempted to say Tak McKinley, but I'll go with Solomon Thomas. He's going to have an Aaron Donald-type workout. He's a freak show."

Executive 4: Stanford DL Solomon Thomas
"Solomon Thomas is going to put on a show. He's incredibly explosive and he'll destroy the change-of-direction drills. I wouldn't be shocked if he ran (the 40-yard dash) in the 4.6s and jumped in the high 30s (inches)."

Executive 5: Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham
"We're split on Cunningham in the draft room but we all agree he's going to test really well. He can really run and he's going to impress teams in the interview room as well."

Summary: That's two votes for Thomas and one apiece for Shaheen, Mahomes and Cunningham.

Conclusion: This is a great group of players to keep an eye on during the combine. Thomas is building a lot of momentum and I've been told by sources at Stanford to expect some incredible testing numbers from him. Shaheen is a personal favorite of mine. I just recently gained access to his 2016 tape and it was extremely impressive. If he were playing at a Power 5 school, he would be in the discussion to be the top tight end in the draft class. Mahomes definitely has his supporters around the league. He has rare arm talent and his upside is sky high. I'm not as high on him as others, but I recognize his potential. Cunningham is one of the toughest players for me to evaluate in this class. I love his size/speed combination, but I thought he was a little tight and a little late to key/diagnose in the run game. I need to do more homework on him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Liked the Input!!(y)

Johnny%205.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ashland TE Adam Shaheen
"He's clearly the third-best tight end in this year's class and I think you'll start to hear first-round buzz about him by the time his workout is finished. It's hard to find tight ends with his combination of size, speed and toughness. He's a unique talent."

Shaheen is a personal favorite of mine. I just recently gained access to his 2016 tape and it was extremely impressive.

Liked the Input!!(y)
You should see his video....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You should see his video....

Now I'm even more impressed!!(y)(y) At 6 ft 6 and 277 and looks FAST he has a grade of 5.75 @ NFL.com. He should be around a 2nd or 3rd round pick is my guess! Definitely worth a really good look!!

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well .... Cunningham is an OLB and Davis is an ILB. and I like the fact Cunningham is 3 inches Taller than Davis!(y);):D
Not so...Cunningham projects as a ILB...He just has some talent that may also allow him to play OLB. I like height too, but it's not as necessary in the middle...In a few days, we'll see who can run...Look at the videos...Cunningham is a wrapper/grabber....Davis..he's....something else....

I can almost guarantee you Dave....put this guy next to Tree...and forget about ILB spots for 10 years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not so...Cunningham projects as a ILB...He just has some talent that may also allow him to play OLB. I like height too, but it's not as necessary in the middle...In a few days, we'll see who can run...Look at the videos...Cunningham is a wrapper/grabber....Davis..he's....something else....

I can almost guarantee you Dave....put this guy next to Tree...and forget about ILB spots for 10 years.

All I know is what I read at NFL.com they have Zach Cunningham Listed as a OLB, and Jarred Davis Listed as a ILB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All I know is what I read at NFL.com they have Zach Cunningham Listed as a OLB
I believe it's a combination of things....primarily that OLB's make considerably more than ILB.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-zach-cunningham-ilb-vanderbilt/
Name: Zach Cunningham

School: Vanderbilt

Position fit: Inside linebacker

Stats to know: Finished fourth in run stop percentage among all FBS inside linebackers in 2016

What he does best:

• Outstanding thumper that loves taking on and destroying blocks from linemen, tight ends and lead blockers.
  • His size, physicality allow him to be effective in man coverage against tight ends/
  • Has the athleticism to play the run from sideline to sideline as well as get effective depth in coverage; should not come off the field.
  • Broke up seven passes on 86 targets over the last three years.
  • Doesn’t vacate gap assignments by running around blocks; willing to take on, stack and shed to the ball.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...-is-the-best-linebacker-youve-never-heard-of/

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/3/1/1...dskins-2017-draft-profiles-zach-cunningham-lb
The two obvious things about Cunningham that stand out are his size and athleticism. At 6-4 he would be one of the taller inside linebackers in the NFL. He has great length which is normally coveted in outside linebackers but works well in tandem with his outstanding athleticism with him patrolling the middle. Cunnigham is a sideline to sideline type of player but aside from his range what I came away most impressed with was his read and react ability and vision. He can consistently diagnose where the play is going and get himself into position to make a stop.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...cunningham-potential-cowboys-first-round-pick

http://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/examining-vanderbilt-linebacker-zach-cunninghams-valuable-skill-set/
Today’s linebackers may not be the burly guys who once roamed the second level because of the necessity to run, chase and cover. So much so that we are seeing safeties like Mark Barron (6-foot-2, 213 pounds) of the Rams and Deone Bucannon (6-foot-1, 211 pounds) of the Cardinals transition from safety to playing full-time on the second level to provide the range and skills required to match up against the spacing and personnel today’s game presents.

Vanderbilt linebacker Zach Cunningham is a unique player in this draft because he offers the athletic profile and length that can fulfill the demands required to play off-ball linebacker and be the chess piece to counter today’s wide-open attacks.
He's actually compared to Mark Barron...a role I could see him filling.
The main difference to me is the ability to rush the passer up the middle, as opposed to being primarily a blitzer off the edge. If you can rush off the edge, consistently...you're a OLB.
http://kckingdom.com/2017/02/26/2017-nfl-draft-kansas-city-chiefs-scouting-report-zach-cunningham/
The only concern I have with Zach Cunningham is in his size. Cunningham is a bit underweight to play up the middle. His lack of size also resulted in some missed tackles as bigger backs were able to shake him. However, he possesses the frame to add plenty more weight. The question there though is how that will affect his athleticism.