5 things to watch for in Sunday's Rams vs. Cowboys game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(KSDK Sports) -- The Rams are at the Cowboys on Sunday. So before you sit down to watch, here are our five things to watch for.

[5]2682820466001[/5]

Number 1: Pass Defense
One of the "keys" to the game will be the Rams pass defense.

Dallas quarterback Tony Romo is completing a league best "72%" of his passes and he has a big target in 6-foot-2, 220-pound receiver Dez Bryant. The Rams secondary has given up some big plays so a strong pass "rush" would "certainly" help.

Number 2: Success in the no-huddle
The "No Huddle or not to No Huddle" was the 64,000 question at Rams Park this week. We all saw what the Rams did in that second half last week against the Falcons. Sam Bradford is built for this type of spread offense and he now has the weapons to make it work. Head Coach Jeff Fisher is a defensive coach and he's old school, but he says he's beginning to like this style of football, so we'll see what happens.

3. Handling the atmosphere as really young team
Depending on who ask, AT&T Stadium in Dallas is either an intimidating 12th man that benefits the Cowboys, or just the world's largest sports bar with its 73-foot-by-160-foot hi-definition monitor, which also has a live football game playing. Either way, the place is a factor, especially with young players who may be more enamoured of the venue then the game on the field. Focus will be key.

4. Alec Ogletree must be a force all over the field.
The last time these two teams played, Cowboy's running back Demarco Murry must have felt like he was playing inside a video game. He ran for a ridiculous 253 yards against a Rams defense that had no answers. Now they have Ogletree, and it will be his job to stuff Murray and the Cowboys ground assault. Watch for him to be like Visa Card, "everywhere you want him to be."

5. Reduce Penalties
The Rams have just got to play smarter. Penalties are going to happen, but bad penalties are the mark of an undisciplined, non-thinking team, and the Rams are neither. Once again, the Rams rank as the league's most penalized team, and it must stop. Watch for more disciplined leadership coming from team leaders on both sides of the ball, and quick benching's of anyone not playing smart football.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/398754/30/5-things-to-watch-for-in-Sundays-Rams-vs-Cowboys-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... wboys-game</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
5. Reduce Penalties
The Rams have just got to play smarter. Penalties are going to happen, but bad penalties are the mark of an undisciplined, non-thinking team, and the Rams are neither. Once again, the Rams rank as the league's most penalized team, and it must stop. Watch for more disciplined leadership coming from team leaders on both sides of the ball, and quick benching's of anyone not playing smart football.

I've seen no evidence that they're a disciplined, thinking team. I know we've gotten some bad calls but they are what they are until they show something different.

I'm really hoping for an improvement in this area.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brockers beard... AWESOME! :sly:

albefree69 said:
5. Reduce Penalties

I've seen no evidence that they're a disciplined, thinking team. I know we've gotten some bad calls but they are what they are until they show something different.

I'm really hoping for an improvement in this area.

This.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - We're 18th most penalized. Other than that, we were allowing an average of 184 yards rushing per game through that Dallas game - worst in the league(IIRR by quite a bit) - and finished 31st in rushing yards allowed.

So while limiting the run will be a key, in 2011, we had no Brockers and we were a mess in run defense. I think we will be ok there, we just have shown NO ability or inclination to stop the pass. THAT has to end and Sunday is the perfect day to start. So that is my ONE key to the game against Dallas.

jjab360

Legend
X said:
Dallas quarterback Tony Romo is completing a league best "72%" of his passes and he has a big target in 6-foot-2, 220-pound receiver Dez Bryant. The Rams secondary has given up some big plays so a strong pass "rush" would "certainly" help.
Interesting use of quotation "marks". :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sweet Jones adding (barely) to the conversation:
This.
Pithy. :lol:

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Stop by the members map and pin your location. :bg:

had

Rookie
I was just thinking, I'll be looking for Finnegan on a corner blitz. I mean, he's not covering anyone anyway, right? hahahahahahahaheeeeeeeh

Also, looking for the Rams to start a lot stronger than the last 2 games. To do that, I think the Rams have to get to Romo early. Thus my Finnegan corner blitz thought.

I'll also be looking at Chris Long, see how effective he looks. Kind of a bummer to think he's handicapped.

I'll be looking for Bradford and his young RBs/WRs to manufacture early first downs and find an early rhythm. If the Rams struggle to make first downs in the first quarter, well, that would suck. Certainly it's not all on Bradford, but for me that's the next step for him, to get more automatic in manufacturing first downs, moving the chains, creating.

I'll be looking for Dez Bryant to get hit, hard, early. And for Stewart to look at what he's tackling.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 earning a 15 yard penalty for piling on:
I think we will be ok there, we just have shown NO ability or inclination to stop the pass. THAT has to end and Sunday is the perfect day to start. So that is my ONE key to the game against Dallas.
I think that's pretty much everyone's ONE key against the Cowgirls. :neh: