5 Teams that could spend big in Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14714638/five-nfl-teams-equipped-spend-big-2016

At some point prior to the start of the NFL's new league year on March 9, the owners and the NFL Players Association will mutually agree upon a value for the 2016 salary cap. Shortly thereafter, much of the discussion will turn to how much cap space each of the 32 franchises has at its disposal for this year.

There's a tendency to assume that more cap space -- and in turn the flexibility to spend aggressively -- is better than less space. But there's also a reality rooted in having a ton of cap space: It often means a team either has a roster with several holes (after all, good players are most commonly paid commensurate with their abilities) or a significant number of players on rookie contracts who are soon to be due for raises. There's no magic number of cap space a team wants to have; rather, NFL franchises hope to maintain a healthy cap by having a roster full of talent with flexibility to fine tune (add to it, extend players, trade for players, etc.) as needed.

For the sake of laying out which teams have the resources to spend big this offseason, let's overview the five teams currently projected to have the most rollover space for the 2016 season and assign a primary need. A few notes: These numbers will assume a salary-cap projection of $153 million and do not factor in restricted free-agent tenders, which will be handed out prior to the league year.

These numbers also account for rollover space, as the NFL allows teams to push unused cap space from one year forward to the next. Of course, these numbers are also subject to change at any moment by a team either extending a current player or parting ways with one that creates more space.

i

1. Jacksonville Jaguars
Approximately $78 million in cap space

The primary need for Jacksonville is easy: defense. The Jaguars finished 31st in scoring defense, 29th in pass defense, tied for 26th in interceptions and tied for 20th in sacks. The franchise has taken a patient approach (and wisely so), and good news this offseason includes the healthy return of 2015 first-round pick Dante Fowler Jr. and the bevy of cap space.

So let's narrow the focus of the need: a playmaker in center field. The Jags pushed hard to land safety Devin McCourty last offseason, as he has precisely the range, route recognition and on-ball production the defense lacks. Safety Eric Weddle would represent a bit of a deviation from Jacksonville's path of youth, as he's 31, but here's what Weddle does: He quarterbacks a defense, mans the back end, plays basically every snap (plus contributing on special teams) every week (he has missed just seven games in nine seasons) and would add some veteran leadership to a team that would benefit from it. Yes, there's risk in signing a player who would be close to his mid-30s at the expiration of the deal, but Jacksonville needs stability in the secondary.

i

2. Oakland Raiders
Approximately $72 million in cap space

This team has an arrow that is unquestionably pointing up. Defensively, the roster will take shape around Khalil Mack. However, the secondary needs immediate treatment at both safety and cornerback, and cornerback is a particular area of need. David Amerson -- acquired midseason on waivers -- was a really nice find, but former first-round pick D.J. Hayden has not met expectations.

The prize of the cornerback class in free agency is Josh Norman, though it seems unlikely he'll be leaving Carolina. Janoris Jenkins is a sticky cover corner who played well for the Rams in 2015, as did his teammate and fellow free agent Trumaine Johnson (6-foot-2, 208 pounds). Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara is also likely to be coveted this offseason.

i

3. Chicago Bears
Approximately $58 million in cap space

The defensive theme of this piece continues with the Bears, who desperately need playmakers in the middle of the defense. For a long, long time the Bears' defensive huddle was quarterbacked by a dynamic linebacker (be it Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs or both), though an infusion of speed and reliability would be a boost. The team owns the No. 11 pick in the draft, but a free agent who might make sense is Danny Trevathan, currently of the Broncos. He's only 25 and has familiarity with Bears head coach John Fox, Trevathan's head coach for his first three pro seasons.

Denver has a checklist of free agents to take care of this offseason, led by Von Miller, Malik Jackson and potentially Brock Osweiler. Trevathan will be likely hit the open market, and he'd represent a dependable, affordable and useful addition to Chicago's defense.

i

4. San Francisco 49ers
Approximately $56 million in cap space

I'm of the opinion that San Francisco's top priority this offseason (aside from sorting out the quarterback puzzle) is to address the offensive line. Only the Titans allowed more sacks than San Francisco's 53 this season, and it's not just upgrading the personnel; the 49ers must find the right fits.

Offensive linemen in Chip Kelly's system must be able to play in space with nimble footwork and have the stamina to play at a rapid pace. Although right tackle Anthony Davis might un-retire after a year away from football, there are other positions to still address. If Alex Mack opts out of the final three years of his deal in Cleveland, he'd become an intriguing option to anchor the middle of the line. He's 30, but Mack has been a rock throughout his career, playing all 16 games in six of seven seasons.

i

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Approximately $54 million in cap space

There will be an obvious theme for Tampa Bay this offseason: defense. But let's look at the importance of an edge rusher, as Tampa Bay lacked a true difference-making pressure player at that spot this season. The Bucs would be wise to look at disruptive defensive end Olivier Vernon, an exceptional talent who has 25.5 sacks over the past three seasons in Miami. He's just 25 and will only get better over the next handful of years. Miami may choose to use its franchise or transition tag on the up-and-coming rusher, but if Vernon hits the open market, he's sure to be a sought-after sack artist in free agency.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
With a couple of moves mainly restructuring or cutting CL,JL,and Cook we can have over 55 million in cap available.We will need it to keep our D intact and pickup 1 major upgrade on offence.

Shoman01

Rookie
Based on past performance, I don't have any faith Snead and his scouts know what a quality NFL caliber free agent looks like. They consistently make bad decisions. It's not just this staff, they have only 4 winning seasons in the last 25 years. The front office ineptitude has been going on for decades.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Based on past performance, I don't have any faith Snead and his scouts know what a quality NFL caliber free agent looks like. They consistently make bad decisions. It's not just this staff, they have only 4 winning seasons in the last 25 years. The front office ineptitude has been going on for decades.

This is little doubt that Snead and company need to improve on their pro player personnel evalutaions, however, they done some great things in the draft and especially with UDRFA. Also Fisher has final say in personnel so you can't always hold Snead accountable.

Hopefully they will free up some of their cap room to retain some of their own talent especially CB's Jenkins & Johnson where came via the draft. Need a QB and this team is post season bound, but like you posted the proof is in the pudding and the Rams need to win more games then they lose before enjoy the Kook-Aid again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bummer, I thought for sure this article was going to include the Rams

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Bummer, I thought for sure this article was going to include the Rams

Well, … I believe that is exactly what JUMAVA68 was alluding to, a couple popular cuts and we are right their among the top 5 teams with available free agency dollars. This would certainly allow the re-signing of all our own key players Fisher wishes to bring back as well as a couple outside additions which help make the draft far more about BPA than need. jmo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The problem is that the Raiders have stupid money.

Now, I don't think Tru will be offered that, but JJ will. The Raiders have to spend that money somewhere and they already have a franchise QB and a #1 WR and a franchise RB in Latavius Murray. Not sure of a better way to spend big money than a shut down corner, especially if you already have those AND a DE like Khalil Mack.

I mean, I suppose if an all pro OLT like Joe Thomas or Andrew Whitworth were to become available, or a DT like Aaron Donald, maybe, but otherwise... I don't see it.

Which means, the Rams WILL be paying them both top dollar or hoping that Gaines has fully recovered from his surgery by the start of the season and others can and do step up.

If anyone still thinks that JJ takes LESS than $10M per isn't thinking clearly. The top tier is $14M with the next tier dropping immediately to $10M and it's possible that JJ may try to straddle the $14M and $10M tiers. If that happens, the Rams could face having to either try and juggle $22M+ for them both which might be doable or letting them walk.

Point being, with money like the Raiders have, no way in hell we sign JJ for $8M per and Tru for less than $6M per. Hell, they have the money to sign them both.

That would be a way for Mark Davis to tweak Kroenke... Heh.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Did you copy and paste this from another thread?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
including the Rams on this kinda depends how you look at free agents. if by free agent you mean someone that wasnt on the team last year than id imagine the Rams would be very low, but if you count our own guys, the Rams may very well be top 5 after some cuts/restructures that will almost certainly take place

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You're still here?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Now, I don't think Tru will be offered that, but JJ will. The Raiders have to spend that money somewhere and they already have a franchise QB and a #1 WR and a franchise RB in Latavius Murray. Not sure of a better way to spend big money than a shut down corner, especially if you already have those AND a DE like Khalil Mack.

I mean, I suppose if an all pro OLT like Joe Thomas or Andrew Whitworth were to become available, or a DT like Aaron Donald, maybe, but otherwise... I don't see it.

Which means, the Rams WILL be paying them both top dollar or hoping that Gaines has fully recovered from his surgery by the start of the season and others can and do step up.

If anyone still thinks that JJ takes LESS than $10M per isn't thinking clearly. The top tier is $14M with the next tier dropping immediately to $10M and it's possible that JJ may try to straddle the $14M and $10M tiers. If that happens, the Rams could face having to either try and juggle $22M+ for them both which might be doable or letting them walk.

Point being, with money like the Raiders have, no way in hell we sign JJ for $8M per and Tru for less than $6M per. Hell, they have the money to sign them both.

Stinks when you have to live in REALs'ville does it not....outstanding post Mackeyser! I need to bookmark your post I believe you may be a bona fide fortune teller.:bow:

JerseyRam1

Rookie
To me, its all about keeping the "home grown" talent. Thats what Green Bay, Cincinnati and the Pats have been doing and its worked well. Lets get Tru, Barron and Jenkins locked in and make a couple of smart additions that we most likely cant make in the draft...a player like Jeffries would fit the bill.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

True but it's not like the Rams are cap strapped. They've got their own money to spend. Alot of it. They should be able to keep whoever they want if they feel that player is crucial to their success on the field moving forward.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Draft and Develop..Draft and Develop....resign your own FA's..and..did I say draft and develop?

PS: btw, FA agents have to WANT to be signed, which has been a big problem for this team getting the "wow" FA's..Might be a little different now in LA.