5 Takeaways from the Week's OTAs/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
5 Takeaways from the Week's OTAs
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/5-Takeaways-from-the-Weeks-OTAs/2021fb61-e7f1-4a49-b56b-b330b39841f6

Between a charity softball game, a community field build project, and three organized team activity sessions, the Rams have had a busy week. But here are five takeaways from head coach Jeff Fisher’s media availability from the second set of OTA sessions.

1) Rotating centers

The Rams have been cycling through three players at center along the offensive line at OTAs: Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes, and Demetreus Rhaney. Fisher said on Tuesday that the team will be patient in making the decision for who will start.

“They’re all getting opportunities to work with Nick, so he’s familiar, not only with the exchanges, but also the communication," Fisher said. "We’ll make that decision when somebody shows us he’s earned the job.”

It's important for whoever fills the role to not only master the physical, but also the mental tasks associated with the center position.

"There’s no indications at this point that there’s going to be limitations from the mental standpoint with the guys that are competing," Fisher said. "They all understand."

2) A trimmed down Fairley

Nick Fairley looked as svelte as ever when he signed with the Rams back in March. And while he's dealt with overweight issues in the past, Fisher said he was actually concerned about the defensive tackle being underweight.

"Nick’s changed his lifestyle, changed his diet," Fisher said. "We’re trying to get some weight back on him right now and he’s done it. He’s worked hard the last couple of weeks. He’s doing fine. His conditioning level is fine. If he’s going to compete with our guys up front, he’s going to have to run and he knows that.”

3) Robinson's looking svelte, too

While Greg Robinson will never be confused for anything other than a massive man, it's clear from standing near him that he looks slimmer this summer. He said last week that he's down to 319 pounds from his high of 339.

"He’s been working here," Fisher said. "He’s been rehabbing and he’s working and he feels good. His strength has increased. If there’s a little bit of weight loss and increase of strength, that’s a good thing.”

4) McLeod’s progression

Safety Rodney McLeod has evolved into a solid player in the St. Louis secondary. He’s started all 16 games the past two seasons, and Fisher said that McLeod is someone who takes a step forward each year.

“He gets the game,” Fisher said. “I thought he played really well last year. He misjudged a couple deep balls, but everybody does that. But I thought he was really active, knew what to do, and run-supported very well.”

5) Two generations of Hager

As the Eagles’ defensive coordinator in the late 1980s, Fisher was part of the coaching staff that drafted Britt Hager. Now, he’s coaching Britt’s son, Bryce. The Rams selected the linebacker in the 7th round of this year’s draft.

“It’s interesting because I got to the combine and I wasn’t interested in everybody there,” Fisher said. “I saw the name of the linebacker [and thought,] ‘I wonder if this is Britt’s kid.’ As it turns out it was. It’s a great story behind how Britt was drafted in Philly. He played a long time. There are similarities. Bryce looks a lot like his dad.”

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He misjudged a couple deep balls

so when jenkins and mcleod were looking at each other we should assume mcleod screwed up?