5 "surprise" players that could crack the Ram 53...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By: Blaine Grisak | 2 hours ago
Training camp will be coming up shortly and with that said, the Los Angeles Rams have quite a few intense camp battles and exciting players that will be sure to catch the eye of fans and media. Here are five players to keep an eye on who could surprisingly crack the 53-man roster.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

5. Malcolm Brown, running back
Aug 1, 2015; Earth City, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams running back Malcolm Brown (39) and St. Louis Rams running back Benny Cunningham (36) at Rams Park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

While the Rams do have depth at the running back position with Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham, the situation with Tre Mason leaves him most likely out of the picture. This opens up the door for someone like Brown to make the roster.

The Rams have Chase Reynolds, but he hasn’t shown much ability as a runner and can take bad penalties on special teams. If Brown can play smart on special teams and show ability as a running back, he could take Reynolds’ spot.

4. Aaron Green, running back
Sep 19, 2015; Fort Worth, TX, USA; TCU Horned Frogs running back Aaron Green (22) against the Southern Methodist Mustangs at Amon G. Carter Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

The same about Brown can be said for Green. Mason being a huge question mark opens up a spot at running back. All he has to do is take advantage of the opportunity.

Both Gurley and Cunningham are seen as downhill runners, while Green would give the Rams a change-of-pace player who could break plays to the outside. He’s not going to be an every-down back in the NFL, but the Rams don’t need him to be. If there’s one undrafted player who is going to make the roster, it will be Green.

RELATED:

Buddy battle: RBs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green remain friends while competing
3. Nelson Spruce, wide receiver
Nov 28, 2015; Salt Lake City, UT, USA; Colorado Buffaloes wide receiver Nelson Spruce (22) runs for a touchdown after a reception during the first half against the Utah Utes at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Russ Isabella-USA TODAY Sports

As much as Rams fans seem to like Nelson Spruce, it’s going to be very difficult for him to make the roster. In order for that to happen, he’s going to have to beat out a guy like Bradley Marquez or Mike Thomas.

Spruce had a good showing at OTAs, while proving that he has the hands to be a good receiver. However, Marquez is good when it comes to special teams and in order for Spruce to make the roster, he will have to do the same. This is an undrafted player who has some very good potential. If he has a good training camp, he could make the final 53.

2. Josh Forrest, linebacker
Oct 11, 2014; Lexington, KY, USA; Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Josh Forrest (45) runs or a touchdown after intercepting the ball against the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks in the first half at Commonwealth Stadium. Kentucky defeated Louisiana-Monroe 48-14. Mandatory Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Many questioned this pick when the Rams made it late in the 2016 NFL draft, however it was a solid pick. The team needed depth at that position and they got an athletic guy who can make plays.

The Rams need to be able to replace Darren Bates. Forrest had 202 tackles in his two years as a starter at Kentucky and has great speed and ability to make difficult open-field tackles. He’s also going to be a decent player on special teams replacing the void that Bates left.

1. Brian Randolph, safety
Oct 24, 2015; Tuscaloosa, AL, USA; Tennessee Volunteers defensive back Brian Randolph (37) celebrates his interception against the Alabama Crimson Tide during the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Randolph’s chances of making the roster are 50/50. It’s all going to depend on what the team does at other positions. However, with T.J. McDonald’s legal situation, Randolph could initially make the roster. He’s a player who’s going to have to impress coaches still.

He’s not fast, but he is very athletic and can make open-field tackles. That in itself, is an attractive asset to a defense or special teams unit. Randolph proved to be more than just a box safety as he led Tennessee with four interceptions. The bottom line is, he’s a playmaker who will do what it takes to make the roster, or at the very least leave the coaching staff with a very difficult decision.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forrest IMO is a lock to make the 53 and Randolph won't just make the team he'll start!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Doesn't Randolph run a recorded 4.5....per an article a while back?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
interesting, I wouldnt think brown or green making the team would really be a surprise to anyone considering the mason drama. Now if they both made it, then id be surprised. Also not really sure Forrest is a surprise either considering they lack LBs and he was a draft pick

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
By: Blaine Grisak | 2 hours ago
Training camp will be coming up shortly and with that said, the Los Angeles Rams have quite a few intense camp battles and exciting players that will be sure to catch the eye of fans and media. Here are five players to keep an eye on who could surprisingly crack the 53-man roster.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

5. Malcolm Brown, running back
Aug 1, 2015; Earth City, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams running back Malcolm Brown (39) and St. Louis Rams running back Benny Cunningham (36) at Rams Park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

While the Rams do have depth at the running back position with Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham, the situation with Tre Mason leaves him most likely out of the picture. This opens up the door for someone like Brown to make the roster.

The Rams have Chase Reynolds, but he hasn’t shown much ability as a runner and can take bad penalties on special teams. If Brown can play smart on special teams and show ability as a running back, he could take Reynolds’ spot.

4. Aaron Green, running back
Sep 19, 2015; Fort Worth, TX, USA; TCU Horned Frogs running back Aaron Green (22) against the Southern Methodist Mustangs at Amon G. Carter Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

The same about Brown can be said for Green. Mason being a huge question mark opens up a spot at running back. All he has to do is take advantage of the opportunity.

Both Gurley and Cunningham are seen as downhill runners, while Green would give the Rams a change-of-pace player who could break plays to the outside. He’s not going to be an every-down back in the NFL, but the Rams don’t need him to be. If there’s one undrafted player who is going to make the roster, it will be Green.

RELATED:

Buddy battle: RBs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green remain friends while competing
3. Nelson Spruce, wide receiver
Nov 28, 2015; Salt Lake City, UT, USA; Colorado Buffaloes wide receiver Nelson Spruce (22) runs for a touchdown after a reception during the first half against the Utah Utes at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Russ Isabella-USA TODAY Sports

As much as Rams fans seem to like Nelson Spruce, it’s going to be very difficult for him to make the roster. In order for that to happen, he’s going to have to beat out a guy like Bradley Marquez or Mike Thomas.

Spruce had a good showing at OTAs, while proving that he has the hands to be a good receiver. However, Marquez is good when it comes to special teams and in order for Spruce to make the roster, he will have to do the same. This is an undrafted player who has some very good potential. If he has a good training camp, he could make the final 53.

2. Josh Forrest, linebacker
Oct 11, 2014; Lexington, KY, USA; Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Josh Forrest (45) runs or a touchdown after intercepting the ball against the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks in the first half at Commonwealth Stadium. Kentucky defeated Louisiana-Monroe 48-14. Mandatory Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Many questioned this pick when the Rams made it late in the 2016 NFL draft, however it was a solid pick. The team needed depth at that position and they got an athletic guy who can make plays.

The Rams need to be able to replace Darren Bates. Forrest had 202 tackles in his two years as a starter at Kentucky and has great speed and ability to make difficult open-field tackles. He’s also going to be a decent player on special teams replacing the void that Bates left.

1. Brian Randolph, safety
Oct 24, 2015; Tuscaloosa, AL, USA; Tennessee Volunteers defensive back Brian Randolph (37) celebrates his interception against the Alabama Crimson Tide during the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Randolph’s chances of making the roster are 50/50. It’s all going to depend on what the team does at other positions. However, with T.J. McDonald’s legal situation, Randolph could initially make the roster. He’s a player who’s going to have to impress coaches still.

He’s not fast, but he is very athletic and can make open-field tackles. That in itself, is an attractive asset to a defense or special teams unit. Randolph proved to be more than just a box safety as he led Tennessee with four interceptions. The bottom line is, he’s a playmaker who will do what it takes to make the roster, or at the very least leave the coaching staff with a very difficult decision.

What I have read about Randolph is that actually he is fast.
Not sure where the 'slow' moniker came from, but I don't think he deserves it.
I think he will make the team.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gurley, Cunningham, Brown, Green, Reynolds....with Harkey listed as a TE.
I think all five listed in the article make it.

jap

Legend
What I have read about Randolph is that actually he is fast.
Not sure where the 'slow' moniker came from, but I don't think he deserves it.
I think he will make the team.

It all depends on how he looks running in pads. Some guys are fast in track shorts (e.g., Desmond Howard; 4.4/40) and not so fast in pads (4.6/40). Other guys are run almost as fast in pads (Jerry Rice; 4.6/40) as they do in shorts (4.6/40).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
interesting, I wouldnt think brown or green making the team would really be a surprise to anyone considering the mason drama. Now if they both made it, then id be surprised. Also not really sure Forrest is a surprise either considering they lack LBs and he was a draft pick

I could see both Brown and Green making the 53, Picked4td, assuming both have good camps and pre seasons.

Because I think Mason is a goner, hopefully via trade.

And Reynolds is clinging to a roster spot strictly because of his ST abilities. Abilities that can probably be duplicated from one of those WR, RB, CB, or S prospects.

And where does this "Rams lack LB's" come from? Their 3 starters are outstanding and their depth looks at least 6 deep to me. I agree that Forrest is quite likely to make the 53 unless he really disappoints in camp and preseason.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that Forrest is quite likely to make the 53 unless he really disappoints in camp and preseason.

They will keep 6 most likely.
  1. Ogletree
  2. Barron
  3. Ayers
  4. Hager
  5. Lynch
  6. Forrest

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Forrest IMO is a lock to make the 53 and Randolph won't just make the team he'll start!
Why would you say such a thing about Randoloh ?? Your just going off the pro day workout & time w/ the Vols ??
--Forrest is a solid pick,but has to embrace special teams.I'm not a Chase Reynolds fan,but he seems to be on the roster year in year out.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It all depends on how he looks running in pads. Some guys are fast in track shorts (e.g., Desmond Howard; 4.4/40) and not so fast in pads (4.6/40). Other guys are run almost as fast in pads (Jerry Rice; 4.6/40) as they do in shorts (4.6/40).
They should should just time all guys running in pads, and call it a day. That's all that counts, anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
They should should just time all guys running in pads, and call it a day. That's all that counts, anyway.
Other than showing general athletism the 40 is overrated.
I am more concerned with drills that show change of direction and balance skills.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would you say such a thing about Randoloh ?? Your just going off the pro day workout & time w/ the Vols ??
--Forrest is a solid pick,but has to embrace special teams.I'm not a Chase Reynolds fan,but he seems to be on the roster year in year out.
He's shown as much as anybody on the roster has to be able to start at FS. TJ should stay at SS and Mo will back him up. I usually do this every year, get behind one guy in a battle to start. With Randolphs game tape and his workouts I've seen enough to want to push for this guy.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.wbir.com/sports/college/...n-randolph-backs-up-talk-at-pro-day/110755391

There is a video at the link. I remember searching this before. One the more exciting rookies to look forward to see compete. The writer messed up. The 4.4 could be a pro day favorable time but, he can run. He also can bench press 225Lbs.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"People think I'm slow, so I'm gonna show 'em tomorrow, I ain't slow. I'll be on the 40, I'm gonna burn it."

And burn it he did.

Former Tennessee safety Brian Randolph backed up Tuesday's talk by running a 4.4 second 40-yard dash at the Vols' Pro Day on Wednesday.

Randolph said he heard scouts expected him to run a 4.7 in the 40.

"You can't be slow and start in the SEC for five years, I don't know. I tried to tell them I don't know where they got the numbers from but it's a bunch of nonsense to be exact," Randolph said.

"I never ran 4.7 in the fifth grade. I didn't have any pressure, I was supposed to run a 4.7 so I don't think it could get much worse than that. I probably could've backpedaled a 4.7, so it was no pressure, it was just fun."

The scouts know better now. Randolph isn't slow.

That 4.4 would've ranked second among safeties at the NFL Combine.

Randolph told reporters on Tuesday he would reach 30 reps on the bench press at Pro Day. He backed that up too. He knocked out 31 reps. One less than 305-pound offensive lineman Kyler Kerbyson. And nine more than any safety put up at the NFL Combine.

"I've always been strong, I've been working out since I was a little kid, so God blessed me with the strength of Samson, that's why I don't cut my hair no more," Randolph joked.

The Georgia native was the Commode of Tennessee's secondary for five years. He played in a school record 53 games and one teammate called him the smartest safety in country.

Randolph hopes to follow in the footsteps of former teammate and roommate Justin Coleman, another defensive back who was overlooked come NFL Draft time last season but ended up signing as a free agent with the New England Patriots and sticking with them through the season.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I could see both Brown and Green making the 53, Picked4td, assuming both have good camps and pre seasons.

Because I think Mason is a goner, hopefully via trade.

And Reynolds is clinging to a roster spot strictly because of his ST abilities. Abilities that can probably be duplicated from one of those WR, RB, CB, or S prospects.

And where does this "Rams lack LB's" come from? Their 3 starters are outstanding and their depth looks at least 6 deep to me. I agree that Forrest is quite likely to make the 53 unless he really disappoints in camp and preseason.

I agree, i think theres a good chance both Brown and Green make the roster, which is exactly why i dont think it would be a surprise if either of them did make it (actually i find it to be a near certainty that one of them makes the roster). And by "Rams lack LBs" i meant the depth behind their starting 3. Forrest's main competition would be a former UDFA and a fellow 6th rd pick, neither of which have shown much if anything. After that I believe is all new guys brought in as UDFA this year, so again I dont see the where the surprise of him making the team comes from

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Doesn't Randolph run a recorded 4.5....per an article a while back?

Yes, I believe his 40 time was a 4.51. He's plenty fast enough and has good make up ground speed.

Former Tennessee safety Brian Randolph backed up Tuesday's talk by running a 4.4 second 40-yard dash at the Vols' Pro Day on Wednesday.
Thank Ram65 for the info....he's pretty athletic...not sure if he'll start day 1, but he'll make the squad, no doubt...after watching some vols tape, there's a bunch of them we need to target in the coming drafts...
Not sure about Forrest oldschool...Chubb, Lynch, and Hagar all can run and play....He's not that physical....I'd be surprised to see him starting on ANY teams....special that is...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's shown as much as anybody on the roster has to be able to start at FS. TJ should stay at SS and Mo will back him up. I usually do this every year, get behind one guy in a battle to start. With Randolphs game tape and his workouts I've seen enough to want to push for this guy.

I think that is totally cool & enjoy the same. I like Pharoh Cooper. I think he is going to be a special player for The Rams. I go by history of Fisher as a Rams HC. He says he will be a house hold name ,also he has had a lot of 1st team reps.(The Rok is an example of a rookie to start). I think Jared Goff is being put into that role. Hav & Brown last season are another example.

-- Right now I see nothing that tells me Randolphs going to start, & in fact Chris Bryant actual was playing very well on special teams the last 2 games of the season.He is a guy to not sleep on for a roster spot.