5 Reasons The Rams Wont Make The Playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reasons-the-rams-wont-make-the-playoffs-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reas ... s-in-2013/</a>
5 Reasons The Rams Wont Make The Playoffs In 2013
Here at Ramblin’ Fan we recently wrote an article on five reasons the Rams would make the playoffs. With fans expecting the Rams to get over the hump and make the playoffs it will be disappointing if the team once again fails to make it, because they have gotten close 2 of the last three years. However, now its time to look at the other side of the fence. Here are five reasons why the Rams will NOT make the playoffs in 2013.

Young Player Mistakes
Last season the Rams were already one of the youngest teams in the NFL and they got even younger this offseason. The young players for the Rams made plenty of mistakes last season i.e. illegal formation and delay of game against the 49ers. The Rams also led the NFL in penalties with 8.1 penalties per game. Scoring has been hard enough for the offense, it doesn’t help when they have to get the same first down more than once. With little NFL experience and little veteran leadership, young players are bound to make mistakes. If the Rams can stay away from stupid mental errors they may be fine, however if they don’t…

Less Dominant In The Division
The Rams surprised everyone last season by going 4-1-1 in the division last season. More than half the Rams wins came from within the division. Its hard to expect that the Rams will do the same this season. If they do, that’s great and they will be in good shape. However, with Kaepernick and Wilson having a year under their belt, and the Cardinals getting better in the offseason, it is likely the Rams could at best split with each team within the division and possible even do worse. The Rams went to overtime twice with the 49ers, tying one and winning the other. Both teams missed out on opportunities in each game. If the 49ers capitalize on their opportunities to win the game, the Rams season could have gone differently. The Rams managed to only score two touchdowns in two games against the Seahawks. Had the Rams not played the Seahawks until later in the season when they were in their groove, the Seahawks could have swept the Rams. The Rams didn’t dominate the Cardinals as much as the scores say they did. The Cardinals failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities in the first meeting and the Rams finally pulled away in the 4th quarter. The Rams also got off to a slow start in the second meeting and finally pulled away in the second half, plus that was with Ryan Lindley and QB. I wouldn’t expect the Rams to do as well as they did in the division last year. However how well the Rams play against teams in their division could be the difference of making or missing the playoffs.

Rams Running Game Fails To Find A Groove
Fans are probably tired of hearing about it now, but in case you didn’t know the Rams did lose Steven Jackson in the offseason. Jackson carried the Rams on his shoulders for the past 8 years where he rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of those season and breaking many team rushing records in the process. The Rams did not go out and get anybody in free agency and did not go after one of the top running backs in the draft. The Rams will rely on Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy to get the job done. Richardson showed starting ability last season, and it isn’t really known what the other two are going to be able to do at the NFL level. The Rams play in a division where running the ball is tough and if Bradford is forced to throw the ball 40+ times per game and is forced into many 3rd and longs, the Rams chances are not good. If the Rams cannot find a rhythm in the running game, their chances aren’t good because unfortunately Sam Bradford isn’t Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees at this point in his career.

Safety Struggle
The Rams lost both of their 2012 starting safeties in the offseason and have replaced them with T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart, both have little to no NFL experience. With the Rams playing in a division that has quarterbacks who are willing and able to throw the ball deep, stopping the deep ball will be very important this season. The Rams gave up the 9th most big plays last season with 88. With both of the safeties from last year gone, it will be difficult for that stat to improve. However of Darian Stewart steps up and plays like the coaches think he will, the Rams will be just fine. If Fisher didn’t have confidence in Stewart, he could have drafted Vaccaro or Elam in the first round, however he chose not to. Fisher will have a plan, and they should be just fine. But if the safeties do struggle and the Rams cornerbacks get beat, the Rams could be in for a long season.

Rams Falter Late In Season
The Rams bye week comes at a perfect time in week 11 for them to make the perfect playoff run. However, after the bye the Rams play teams that will also be contending for a playoff spot. The Rams play the Bears, 49ers, Cardinals, Saints, Buccaneers, and Seahawks after the bye. If the Rams cant win 4 out of the 5 games it may end up costing them when it comes to playoff seeding with tiebreakers. In do or die “playoff games” the Rams are 0-2 in the Bradford ere losing in 2010 in Seattle and last season against the Vikings. The Rams may have to win all of these games to make the playoffs especially if they struggle early on. After the bye will be a very key part in the Rams season.

Nobody expected the Rams to do what they did last season going 7-8-1 and going 4-1-1 in a tough NFC West. With good performances come high expectations. Fans and experts are expecting the Rams to make another sh0t the playoffs and possibly make it, however if they follow last season like they did following the 2010 season, the Rams will be looked at as a fluke team last year, and will not be seen as being relevant for a while.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Most years it takes 10 wins to make the playoffs and I don't see 10 on the schedule this year. It's a tough year and that'll be good for this roster and this staff because they will enter the following season battle tested and in better position to win the tough games. I see them losing some close ones this year to teams like ATL and HOU and the like.

I can see 7-9 wins this year and then seeing a big leap to 12 wins the next year though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker successfully having clawed his way out of The Pit of Optimism:
Most years it takes 10 wins to make the playoffs and I don't see 10 on the schedule this year. It's a tough year and that'll be good for this roster and this staff because they will enter the following season battle tested and in better position to win the tough games. I see them losing some close ones this year to teams like ATL and HOU and the like.

I can see 7-9 wins this year and then seeing a big leap to 12 wins the next year though.

While I'm slightly pessimistic about some solutions we're going to have to live with at certain positions this year, I'm fairly bullish about the team as a hole. I see 10-11 wins as very doable providing two things happen:
1) A normal amount of injuries
2) A normal distribution of the "breaks".

If the injuries aren't to bad and the ball bounces our way about half the time we'll have a good year and our record will reflect that IMO.

Ram_of_Old

I am most worried about the running game, or lack thereof, and the secondary. They could surprise us all and make the POs, but I doubt it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reasons-the-rams-wont-make-the-playoffs-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reas ... s-in-2013/</a>
Young Player Mistakes
Last season the Rams were already one of the youngest teams in the NFL and they got even younger this offseason. The young players for the Rams made plenty of mistakes last season i.e. illegal formation and delay of game against the 49ers. The Rams also led the NFL in penalties with 8.1 penalties per game. Scoring has been hard enough for the offense, it doesn’t help when they have to get the same first down more than once. With little NFL experience and little veteran leadership, young players are bound to make mistakes. If the Rams can stay away from stupid mental errors they may be fine, however if they don’t…

I prefer this youth myself but In two key areas the Rams are not young. Our DL's & OL's are the foundation where all things start. DE Chris Long, DT Kendall Langford & DL William Hayes are far from being young. Cudjo, Sims & Quinn are entering their 3rd & 4th seasons???? If the OL is what it was in the OT's you have 28,27,32 32 & 25 yr olds starting! top reserves OT Barksdale, OG Smith, OC Barnes have been in the NFL now on their third yrs! Looks to me to be just about perfect in these two critical areas!

The Rams surprised everyone last season by going 4-1-1 in the division last season. More than half the Rams wins came from within the division. Its hard to expect that the Rams will do the same this season.....

I disagree with all that this fan said..Rams have greatly improved this team from 2012 where I see no great overhauling taking place with the other teams in this division, I see the Seahawks & 9ers as being top teams too but with these three teams beating on each other will create looses. Rams will be much better much stronger and we have top tier coaching that no others in our division have. This youthful Ram team becomes even better when we beat the best teams!

Fans are probably tired of hearing about it now, but in case you didn’t know the Rams did lose Steven Jackson in the offseason. The Rams did not go out and get anybody in free agency and did not go after one of the top running backs in the draft. The Rams will rely on Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy to get the job done......

Rams running attack may have been hampered by the use of Jackson so much. Rams drafted two RB's one was a top RB high in 2012 draft and then drafted a very good RB in Stacy and have two excellent UDFA's in Cunningham & Stevens in 2013. Green youthful RB's have been making headlines & breaking records for many decades now I can not see where having your top five RB's under the age of 24 being anything close to an issue.

Safety Struggle
The Rams lost both of their 2012 starting safeties in the offseason and have replaced them with T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart, both have little to no NFL experience.

Ok loosing Dahl & Mikell was a big leap forward! not a loss! Stewart in entering his 4th NFL season he has played in 37 NFL games and started 13 of them this is not what I call Inexperienced! Rams selected a 3 yr starter in college who has an excellent record of health and played many positions i.e.deep safety,rover LB and in the box safety! If any part of this other forums poster is correct it would be in this safety area. But it looks to me that we may have a starting rookie @ safety in 2013 does that really bother me?

I see nothing in his argument that merits this statement.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'll give the author of this article my five reasons...

520x455px-LL-282fdc28_FIST-websmall.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
While I'm slightly pessimistic about some solutions we're going to have to live with at certain positions this year, I'm fairly bullish about the team as a hole. I see 10-11 wins as very doable providing two things happen:
1) A normal amount of injuries
2) A normal distribution of the "breaks".

If the injuries aren't to bad and the ball bounces our way about half the time we'll have a good year and our record will reflect that IMO.
I agree with this. 10-11 is very doable. I'm not as daunted by the rest of the division as some others may be. We're being built to beat them, so that's secondary (to me, anyway) to winning on the road outside of the division.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I get the impression the author of this article had to work hard to find 5 reasons against the Rams making the playoffs. 3 of the 5 are fairly specious, at best. The other 2 are merely speculative, though I'll admit there isn't much hard fact to go on as yet.

iced

IMO, it all hinges on the offense. If they make that jump like we did last year on D, we're in the playoffs.

Additionally, we're going to be running a bit of a different offense - the only players other teams have tape at the skill positions is pettis, richardson, givens (the most), and quick... most of these guys hardly even played.

We have an offense with tons of speed and a completely new look. Advantage, us.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
albefree69 said:
http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reasons-the-rams-wont-make-the-playoffs-in-2013/
Here at Ramblin’ Fan we recently wrote an article on five reasons the Rams would make the playoffs. With fans expecting the Rams to get over the hump and make the playoffs it will be disappointing if the team once again fails to make it, because they have gotten close 2 of the last three years. However, now its time to look at the other side of the fence. Here are five reasons why the Rams will NOT make the playoffs in 2013.

Young Player Mistakes

The Rams surprised everyone last season by going 4-1-1 in the division last season. More than half the Rams wins came from within the division. Its hard to expect that the Rams will do the same this season. If they do, that’s great and they will be in good shape. However, with Kaepernick and Wilson having a year under their belt, and the Cardinals getting better in the offseason, it is likely the Rams could at best split with each team within the division and possible even do worse. The Rams went to overtime twice with the 49ers, tying one and winning the other. Both teams missed out on opportunities in each game. If the 49ers capitalize on their opportunities to win the game, the Rams season could have gone differently. The Rams managed to only score two touchdowns in two games against the Seahawks. Had the Rams not played the Seahawks until later in the season when they were in their groove, the Seahawks could have swept the Rams. The Rams didn’t dominate the Cardinals as much as the scores say they did. The Cardinals failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities in the first meeting and the Rams finally pulled away in the 4th quarter. The Rams also got off to a slow start in the second meeting and finally pulled away in the second half, plus that was with Ryan Lindley and QB. I wouldn’t expect the Rams to do as well as they did in the division last year. However how well the Rams play against teams in their division could be the difference of making or missing the playoffs.

Fans are probably tired of hearing about it now, but in case you didn’t know the Rams did lose Steven Jackson in the offseason. Jackson carried the Rams on his shoulders for the past 8 years where he rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of those season and breaking many team rushing records in the process. The Rams did not go out and get anybody in free agency and did not go after one of the top running backs in the draft. The Rams will rely on Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy to get the job done. Richardson showed starting ability last season, and it isn’t really known what the other two are going to be able to do at the NFL level. The Rams play in a division where running the ball is tough and if Bradford is forced to throw the ball 40+ times per game and is forced into many 3rd and longs, the Rams chances are not good. If the Rams cannot find a rhythm in the running game, their chances aren’t good because unfortunately Sam Bradford isn’t Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees at this point in his career.

Safety Struggle
The Rams lost both of their 2012 starting safeties in the offseason and have replaced them with T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart, both have little to no NFL experience. With the Rams playing in a division that has quarterbacks who are willing and able to throw the ball deep, stopping the deep ball will be very important this season. The Rams gave up the 9th most big plays last season with 88. With both of the safeties from last year gone, it will be difficult for that stat to improve. However of Darian Stewart steps up and plays like the coaches think he will, the Rams will be just fine. If Fisher didn’t have confidence in Stewart, he could have drafted Vaccaro or Elam in the first round, however he chose not to. Fisher will have a plan, and they should be just fine. But if the safeties do struggle and the Rams cornerbacks get beat, the Rams could be in for a long season.

The Rams bye week comes at a perfect time in week 11 for them to make the perfect playoff run. However, after the bye the Rams play teams that will also be contending for a playoff spot. The Rams play the Bears, 49ers, Cardinals, Saints, Buccaneers, and Seahawks after the bye. If the Rams cant win 4 out of the 5 games it may end up costing them when it comes to playoff seeding with tiebreakers. In do or die “playoff games” the Rams are 0-2 in the Bradford ere losing in 2010 in Seattle and last season against the Vikings. The Rams may have to win all of these games to make the playoffs especially if they struggle early on. After the bye will be a very key part in the Rams season.

Nobody expected the Rams to do what they did last season going 7-8-1 and going 4-1-1 in a tough NFC West. With good performances come high expectations. Fans and experts are expecting the Rams to make another sh0t the playoffs and possibly make it, however if they follow last season like they did following the 2010 season, the Rams will be looked at as a fluke team last year, and will not be seen as being relevant for a while.
Just so much Bullshit.
16-0, baby!!

GO RAMS!!!!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
They are young but they are an experienced young team. Last years rookie class saw significant playing time. IMO they should be ahead of the usual rookie curve.

I don't know why the Rams would be less dominant in there division with a better team than they had when they went 4-1-1. Kaepernik and Wilson are a year more experienced but that is going to be offset by the fact every team now has game tape on these guys. K and W will be facing defenses that are prepared for them. Within the first 5 games one of their opponents will present the rest of the league with a blueprint on how to best defend against them.

I'm not worried about the running game. If OL and TE's do their jobs the RB's will be fine. SJ being gone has been over stated. He may have been the heart of the team in years past but last year wasn't one of those years. He wasn't the best RB on the roster last season. He was out played by a 7th round rookie for most of the year.

I don't see safety as a problem as long as guys stay healthy. Stewart was good before he was injured last preseason. I'll take Mcdonald or Stewart over Dahl any day.

Faltering at the end will only happen if there are injuries. They have a bye week at the perfect time. They have a solid experienced coaching staff that has been thru the home stretch many times before. This young team will be more experienced and in tune by then. They should be playing at their best by week 11 and reaching a peak. If anything the Rams will be a force in the last month of the season and teams are not going to want to face them.

iced

First off - I don't know what this crap is about "if we had played seattle while they were hot" - uhh we put the fire out!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/SEAHAWKS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/SEAHAWKS</a>
week 14 - Sea 58, AZ 0
week 15 - Sea 50, Buff 17
week 16 - Sea 42, SF 13
week 17 - Sea 20, STL 13

I don't know why the Rams would be less dominant in there division with a better team than they had when they went 4-1-1. Kaepernik and Wilson are a year more experienced but that is going to be offset by the fact every team now has game tape on these guys. K and W will be facing defenses that are prepared for them. Within the first 5 games one of their opponents will present the rest of the league with a blueprint on how to best defend against them.

i'd argue we have the blueprint on SF, and possibly SEA. And we just got a stronger Front 7 to deal with lychn, while adding receivers that both seattle and Sf struggle with (the smaller,quicker guys)

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced with some cold hard observations:
First off - I don't know what this crap is about "if we had played seattle while they were hot" - uhh we put the fire out!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/SEAHAWKS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/SEAHAWKS</a>
week 14 - Sea 58, AZ 0
week 15 - Sea 50, Buff 17
week 16 - Sea 42, SF 13
week 17 - Sea 20, STL 13

i'd argue we have the blueprint on SF, and possibly SEA. And we just got a stronger Front 7 to deal with lychn, while adding receivers that both seattle and Sf struggle with (the smaller,quicker guys)

Your first point was right on. Not only did we stop their incredible run of offensive onslaught, we did it in their own house where their offense has a huge advantage because of the crowd noise.

Your second point leaves out the fact that the Seahags got Harvin which is huge IMO. I agree with you about the Whiners though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BonifayRam said:
http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/08/5-reasons-the-rams-wont-make-the-playoffs-in-2013/
Young Player Mistakes

I prefer this youth myself but In two key areas the Rams are not young. Our DL's & OL's are the foundation where all things start. DE Chris Long, DT Kendall Langford & DL William Hayes are far from being young. Cudjo, Sims & Quinn are entering their 3rd & 4th seasons???? If the OL is what it was in the OT's you have 28,27,32 32 & 25 yr olds starting! top reserves OT Barksdale, OG Smith, OC Barnes have been in the NFL now on their third yrs! Looks to me to be just about perfect in these two critical areas!

The Rams surprised everyone last season by going 4-1-1 in the division last season. More than half the Rams wins came from within the division. Its hard to expect that the Rams will do the same this season.....

I disagree with all that this fan said..Rams have greatly improved this team from 2012 where I see no great overhauling taking place with the other teams in this division, I see the Seahawks & 9ers as being top teams too but with these three teams beating on each other will create looses. Rams will be much better much stronger and we have top tier coaching that no others in our division have. This youthful Ram team becomes even better when we beat the best teams!

Fans are probably tired of hearing about it now, but in case you didn’t know the Rams did lose Steven Jackson in the offseason. The Rams did not go out and get anybody in free agency and did not go after one of the top running backs in the draft. The Rams will rely on Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy to get the job done......

Rams running attack may have been hampered by the use of Jackson so much. Rams drafted two RB's one was a top RB high in 2012 draft and then drafted a very good RB in Stacy and have two excellent UDFA's in Cunningham & Stevens in 2013. Green youthful RB's have been making headlines & breaking records for many decades now I can not see where having your top five RB's under the age of 24 being anything close to an issue.

Safety Struggle
The Rams lost both of their 2012 starting safeties in the offseason and have replaced them with T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart, both have little to no NFL experience.

Ok loosing Dahl & Mikell was a big leap forward! not a loss! Stewart in entering his 4th NFL season he has played in 37 NFL games and started 13 of them this is not what I call Inexperienced! Rams selected a 3 yr starter in college who has an excellent record of health and played many positions i.e.deep safety,rover LB and in the box safety! If any part of this other forums poster is correct it would be in this safety area. But it looks to me that we may have a starting rookie @ safety in 2013 does that really bother me?

I see nothing in his argument that merits this statement.

way to absolutely demolish that lacklustre piece of crap.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
VCRam said:
They are young but they are an experienced young team. Last years rookie class saw significant playing time. IMO they should be ahead of the usual rookie curve.

I'm not worried about the running game. If OL and TE's do their jobs the RB's will be fine. SJ being gone has been over stated. He may have been the heart of the team in years past but last year wasn't one of those years. He wasn't the best RB on the roster last season. He was out played by a 7th round rookie for most of the year.

I don't see safety as a problem as long as guys stay healthy. Stewart was good before he was injured last preseason. I'll take Mcdonald or Stewart over Dahl any day.

Faltering at the end will only happen if there are injuries. They have a bye week at the perfect time. They have a solid experienced coaching staff that has been thru the home stretch many times before. This young team will be more experienced and in tune by then. They should be playing at their best by week 11 and reaching a peak. If anything the Rams will be a force in the last month of the season and teams are not going to want to face them.

I agree with everything you said except sjax. He was great last season.

But the rams wanted to go a different way with the younger guys, which means they will run the ball how they really want to now.