5 questions first-year Rams must answer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/Five-questions-first-year-Rams-must-answ?blockID=912499&feedID=358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... feedID=358</a>

Five questions first-year Rams must answer this season

ST LOUIS -- Not so fast, rookies.

While the St. Louis Rams' most-seasoned players peeled out for their summer vacations last Friday, first-year players are still on the clock. And since it's rookie week — days the freshest faces on the team will spend conditioning and doing off-field work — there might as well be a quiz, too.

No multiple choice.

No cheating.

Here are five pressing questions the baby Rams need to answer.

1) Can Austin take a hit?

Tracking Tavon Austin was the treat of the Rams' organized team activities.

The West Virginia speedster did a little bit of everything. He ran routes and made cuts sharp enough to send defensive backs to the ground. He wrestled passes away from taller defenders for touchdowns. He lined up in the backfield and took handoffs. He even returned kicks and punts, once juking Rams punter Johnny Hekker so severely that Hekker feigned a hamstring pull to save face.

But one thing was missing: contact.

Austin's size (5-foot-9, 174 pounds) creates a whole lot of concern. You can hear he hasn't missed a game in eight years, and it's seriously impressive. But still, the worry is there, and Austin knows it.

"That's definitely never going away," Austin said the night he was drafted. "I just have to keep my heart up, keep my mind right and keep grinding every day in practice."

Austin will get hit. Eventually, he's going to get hit hard. Anxiety about his undersized frame will disappear every time he gets up, dusts himself off and gets back to work.

2) Can Ogletree continue to impress?

Ask football coaches about a rookie at this point in the year and you're likely to get a response that includes a dose of optimism ("He looks good so far.") mixed with uncertainty ("We have to wait until we see him in pads.").

With Alec Ogletree, though, things are different.

"We expect big things out of him," Rams defensive coordinator Tim Walton said last week.

Rams coaches are giddy about the Georgia linebacker whose draft stock took a dive due to off-field trouble.

He was a sure bet to snag at least one interception during every open OTA. By all accounts, he's understanding the Xs and Os. And he's staying out of trouble.

Will this feel-good story last?

3) Will Stacy move ahead of Isaiah Pead?

Fisher has said his backfield could feature as many as four players. And while the plan is to get everyone touches, some backs are surely going to get more than others. The Rams' final draft pick, Vanderbilt running back Zac Stacy, might have a chance to be second in line.

There's no reason to believe Daryl Richardson won't be the starter. He was the most used and most productive out of any of the returning backs. But a strong camp and preseason success might be enough to push Stacy past Isaiah Pead, the second-year back who was sparsely used as a rookie.

Fisher said Pead's one-game suspension to start this season — a reprimand Pead received from the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy — won't hurt Pead's chances in the backfield competition. However, it will mean more touches for Stacy in preparation for that game. If he takes advantage of the opportunity, it could turn into a depth-chart promotion.

4) Where does Jones fit in?

Barrett Jones should be healthy come training camp, and that means the Rams are going to have to figure out what they're going to do with the former Alabama offensive lineman they acquired in the draft.

Jones, who is fresh off a foot surgery, played a little bit of everything — both tackle positions, both guard positions and center — during his college career with the Crimson Tide. And he was pretty good at every single one. That experience will help him patch any offensive-line hole he's asked to fill this season. But he will still need a position to call home.

If he's tabbed as a center, he will compete with current backup Tim Barnes. The current starter at the position, Scott Wells, was limited to just seven starts last season due to injury.

5) Can McGee take advantage?

Brandon McGee was understandably peeved when his draft dreams took a tumble. The speedy Miami cornerback figured he would go in the third round. The Rams picked him in the fifth.

But there is a bright side. Since Bradley Fletcher signed with Philadelphia, the Rams only have four returning cornerbacks on their roster: Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Quinton Pointer.

If McGee can turn his frustration into fuel, like he says he will, he might make a spot for himself as a solid reserve in the St. Louis secondary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a good piece and good questions.

That said; "can Austin take a hit?". He's proved it HIS ENTIRE LIFE AS A FOOTBALL PLAYER! I don't worry about his health any more than any other player on this roster.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

That said; "can Austin take a hit?". He's proved it HIS ENTIRE LIFE AS A FOOTBALL PLAYER! I don't worry about his health any more than any other player on this roster.
Does it really matter that much?

Let's look at this analytically.

Say you're about to get blasted by Adrian Wilson. You're 188 lbs, or you're 210 lbs. Adrian Wilson is coming at you with his 6'3, 230 lb frame and he's running full tilt right at you ready to lay some serious wood. Does it really matter if you're 22 lbs lighter than the other guy? Both of you are going to get the full impact of Wilson's hit, and both of you have around 15% body fat. The additional *cushion* for the 210 lb receiver is negligible. You're both going to get your ribs lit up by Wilson.

Is a 188 lb receiver's knees less durable than another (human) receiver's knees at 210 lbs?
I say absolutely not.

I know history doesn't favor a lighter player, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to physics.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

Say you're about to get blasted by Adrian Wilson. You're 188 lbs, or you're 210 lbs. Adrian Wilson is coming at you with his 6'3, 230 lb frame and he's running full tilt right at you ready to lay some serious wood. Does it really matter if you're 22 lbs lighter than the other guy? Both of you are going to get the full impact of Wilson's hit, and both of you have around 15% body fat. The additional *cushion* for the 210 lb receiver is negligible. You're both going to get your ribs lit up by Wilson.

Is a 188 lb receiver's knees less durable than another (human) receiver's knees at 210 lbs?
I say absolutely not.

I know history doesn't favor a lighter player, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to physics.
X have you ever seen the size slug it take to take down an elephant?
Size matters,no way around it,the same hit a 210 pound player can stalemate will send Austin backwards, yes it's physics that can't be denied, the key for Austin will be not getting hit with solid hits

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

I say absolutely not.

Size matters,no way around it,the same hit a 210 pound player can stalemate will send Austin backwards, yes it's physics that can't be denied, the key for Austin will be not getting hit with solid hits
I don't agree.

22 lbs isn't sufficient weight to make a discernible difference in absorbing hits. I realize it's an arbitrary comparison, but let's take it for what it's worth. Tavon is light, Quick is heavy. Do you really think that an Adrian Wilson (type) could inflict more damage on Austin than he would on Quick? It's wholey dependent upon the angle, and the position of the receiver at the time of the hit. Tavon has continuously demonstrated (in college at least) that he can put his body in position to either avoid a hit, or absorb it. This is nothing against any other receiver, and certainly nothing against Quick, but vision and anticipation skills will absolutely play in the favor of Austin at this level. Sans anything he'd never see coming - like a fumble recovery or a botched play of some sorts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

I say absolutely not.

I agree size matters... but I think it comes down to GENETICS. Look at London Fletcher, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning... all withstand the physical hits of the NFL but keep on going.

Genetics.

Austin seems to have it too.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X posited:
I don't agree.

22 lbs isn't sufficient weight to make a discernible difference in absorbing hits. I realize it's an arbitrary comparison, but let's take it for what it's worth. Tavon is light, Quick is heavy. Do you really think that an Adrian Wilson (type) could inflict more damage on Austin than he would on Quick? It's wholey dependent upon the angle, and the position of the receiver at the time of the hit. Tavon has continuously demonstrated (in college at least) that he can put his body in position to either avoid a hit, or absorb it. This is nothing against any other receiver, and certainly nothing against Quick, but vision and anticipation skills will absolutely play in the favor of Austin at this level. Sans anything he'd never see coming - like a fumble recovery or a botched play of some sorts.

I also think that size matters. You said it yourself X, it's all physics. If I understand your post correctly you are merely putting forth the idea that while the physics aren't on your side, the amount of difference is too negligible to matter in real life. Part of the physics that isn't on your side has to do with velocity. The 22 lbs you mentioned is meaningless without knowing the velocity. Your assertions about Austin being able to avoid direct hits and 22 lbs of extra mass being meaningless might be correct most of the time, the probabilities are not in your favor that it will be true all of the time. Austin isn't perfect. The real question in my mind (and the authors) is whether Austin can take those hits when they do happen. I guess we're gonna find out when it happens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X posited:
I don't agree.

I also think that size matters. You said it yourself X, it's all physics. If I understand your post correctly you are merely putting forth the idea that while the physics aren't on your side, the amount of difference is too negligible to matter in real life. Part of the physics that isn't on your side has to do with velocity. The 22 lbs you mentioned is meaningless without knowing the velocity. Your assertions about Austin being able to avoid direct hits and 22 lbs of extra mass being meaningless might be correct most of the time, the probabilities are not in your favor that it will be true all of the time. Austin isn't perfect. The real question in my mind (and the authors) is whether Austin can take those hits when they do happen. I guess we're gonna find out when it happens.
Well sure, Alan. There are lots of variables that you can plug into the equation. For the purposes of parallel comparisons, I was merely pointing out that a 22 lb differential is virtually meaningless when it comes to being hit by a (identified variable) 233 lb defender. It could be argued that a smaller receiver could tuck and present less of a target than a heavier and taller receiver would.

All I ever wanted to introduce into this thread was a different way of looking at things. It's not as simple as smaller = more easily injured.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X added:
It's not as simple as smaller = more easily injured.

I agree with that for sure and I understood the point you were trying to make. I just didn't want it to get lost in the debate that he was going to get an occasional hard hit by someone much bigger than him and that being as small as he is the worry that he might get injured is legitimate. And that's over and above the worry we would have about Quick getting injured on the same play because Quick is bigger.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes.
Yes.
No-ish (it will remain by committee, Pead will get a majority of carries outside of the redzone, Stacy gets most of the goal line plays).
He'll be a backup rotational guy this year, and slot in as a center/guard as he develops and older guys retire.
Yes.