5 Players the St. Louis Rams Should Cut Ties with

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1485 ... -offseason

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead are embarking on their second offseason together. During the duo's first season at the helm, they managed to gobble up extra draft picks, draft 10 players in total and turn an aging roster into the youngest in the NFL.

Being the youngest team in the league obviously had its advantages and disadvantages just like anything else. Depending on the week, the Rams would sometimes have five rookies in the starting lineup. By season's end, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Michael Brockers had all made starts on the defensive side of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball, wide receiver Chris Givens made 13 starts and guard Shelley Smith made six starts at both guard positions. Expect the youth movement to continue as the Rams have a slew of picks in this years draft as well.

However, the addition of a new rookie class ultimately spells trouble for some veteran players. Let's take a look at which players could find themselves on the chopping blocking during the offseason.

It only seems fitting that we start this list off with everyone's favorite villain in the defensive backfield, Craig Dahl. Since being signed by the Rams in 2009, Dahl has managed to start 40 games for St. Louis at both free and strong safety.

Which is amazing considering many fans and media members alike would argue that his play hasn't ever warranted him the opportunity to start that many games. In four seasons of play, he has 39 missed tackles, surrendered six touchdown passes and opposing quarterbacks have a quarterback rating of 95.5 when throwing into his coverage area.

Not to mention Dahl is often late with his help defense in coverage. Every week a major flaw in his game seems to crop up somewhere. Sure, he may come on the cheap as he makes just over a million dollars a year, but his up and down play doesn't warrant another shot as the Rams starting free safety.

He's currently scheduled to hit the free-agent market in the coming months. For the sake of the Rams' defense, let's hope they don't make the mistake of re-signing of him. Keep him cut loose—let another team gamble on his inconsistent play.

Brian Bahr/Getty Images
With St. Louis being strapped for cash, another Dahl may find himself on the chopping block during the offseason. The Rams are currently just below the $10 million threshold in terms of cap space, so an aging veteran like Harvey Dahl could be on his way out before the start of the 2013 season.

Since coming to St. Louis in 2011, he has done everything that has been asked of him. He's played two different positions on the offensive line, he's been a leader for a particularly young group of guys up front and he's gone out and done his job every week.

The only problem is, he hasn't been as effective as he was in Atlanta. To be fair, he hasn't had the same supporting cast around him, but that shouldn't stop him from doing his job to the best of his ability. If the Rams were to cut Dahl before the season started they would save $4 million in cap space.

A good chunk of change for a team that is strapped for cash. The Rams have plenty of low-dollar options on their roster that could serve as potential replacements. Rokevious Watkins, Shelley Smith and Robert Turner are just a few of the names that come to mind.

Moreover, they could also save money by drafting a right guard as well. Dahl's play may not warrant his release, but in the salary cap era, it happens more often than not when a team needs money.

If the Rams want to save another $4 million, they would be wise to cut the under-performing-overpaid right tackle Wayne Hunter. Hunter was originally acquired in a trade for former first-round bust Jason Smith. A change of scenery didn't help either player as both failed to meet expectations in 2012.

Hunter was delegated to mostly backup duty, but he did find his way onto the field in 11 games. He made four starts at left tackle in Rodger Saffold's absence, but found his way back to the bench after Saffold was deemed healthy to return.

In those four starts at left tackle, he surrendered four quarterback sacks, four quarterback hits and 11 quarterback hurries. Moreover, he was penalized three times during that four-game stretch. Unimpressive numbers to say the least considering Hunter is the highest paid tackle on the Rams' roster.

His high cap number will make him an easy cap casualty before the start of the 2013 season.

It has been long acknowledged that 2012 could possibly be the last season running back Steven Jackson would don the blue and gold. He is set to make $7 million in 2013, which prompted the Rams to approach him about a possible restructure.

Ultimately they ended up settling on voiding the final year of his deal, making him a free agent this offseason. Jackson has expressed interest in rejoining the club and working on a quote, unquote retirement contract, but nothing has been openly discussed for some time.

I would have to see Jackson in another team's uniform before I choose to believe it, yet the possibility is real. If the numbers don't work out, it wouldn't be surprising to see him go to a playoff contender. A Super Bowl has always been a desire of his, so you couldn't blame him if he chose to leave St. Louis.

He just surpassed his eighth straight 1,000-yard season, so it's safe to say there is something left in the tank. But is the tank half full, or will he be running on fumes in 2013?

nother player's contract that has brought about endless discussion. Starting strong safety Quintin Mikell is due to make $9 million in 2013 and some argue that his play doesn't warrant him to be paid like a top-10 safety.

The people who make that argument definitely have a valid point based on the 2011 season, but if you look at his numbers from 2012, you will see he excelled in coach Fisher's defense. By season's end, he was the fifth best safety in the league according to the analysts at Pro Football Focus.

He excelled as a pass-rusher by tallying three quarterback sacks, two quarterback hits and nine quarterback hurries. No other safety in the league finished with a better pass rushing grade and no other safety finished with more sacks either.

It would be hard to cut a player of his caliber, but like others you have to ask the question, does his pay outweigh his play? Or does his play outweigh his pay? When you can answer that question successfully, the decision becomes that much easier.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That damn elusive cap space #. I think you will find that KD will somehow seemingly pull cap room out of thin air when he needs to.

Yeah, some players will be let go or have their contracts restructured. One key difference this year I feel is that it may be a bit easier to convince the players you want to sign or keep that they can be a part of something real going on in Ramland and therefore they will also be "incentivized" to make themselves cap friendly.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure hope so. Crazy how Rams have holes and still have cap issues.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Put me in the minority, but of the big 4 people are considering to cut (Mikell, Jack, Hunter, H. Dahl) I only really agree with cutting Dahl. Of course the 3 I don't want cut would have to restructure.

Mikell: Has played very solid in his time in STL, 2011-12. Asked to do different things in 11 and 12. Does his play warrant top dollar? No. But has he been very good? Yes. I say bring him back, in the role he was asked to play this season: box Strong Safety. He was great blitzing and in run support. And still can cover well when asked to. Remember he had 4 forced fumbles in 2012. I'd bring him back around $3-$4 mill range.

Jack: Heart and soal of the Rams since 2007. Has sacrificed everything. Here's the thing, I still think he's a top 15 back in this league. He may not have the 4.4 speed he had in his prime, but still can grind yards out and like Fish said, "He's getting tackled, not hit." People often overlook Jack's value in the pass game where he's among the league best, the receiving game, and NOT FUMBLING (SJ was the ONLY back in 2012 w/200+ carries w/o a fumble). Bring back SJ for a 2 year deal, let him finish out in STL and enjoy the playoffs in 2013-14. $3-$4 mill a year w/incentives.

Hunter: Very good backup, and play at LT didn't drop off much when Saffold came out. Would be key to bring back, since we can;t bank on Saffold being healthy for 16 in 2013. Obviously he'd need to be at less than $4 mill. I'd say vet minimum or a little more in 2013.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Do not re-sign C. Dahl.
Cut H. Dahl.
Cut Hunter.
Contract Extend Jackson.
Restructure Mikell.

IMO.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im not a big fan of cutting Dahl. His contract is hefty, but he is a dependable piece of the Oline. Cutting him would not be addition through subtraction. Maybe we can work out a restructuring.

Hunter should pack his bags and Mikell should take a pay cut.

SJ is invaluable to this team. He is the leader. I dont like cutting the head off and hoping another will grow back in its place. Especially when the team is poised to be competitive for the first time in a while.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Young Ram said:
Do not re-sign C. Dahl.
Cut H. Dahl.
Cut Hunter.
Contract Extend Jackson.
Restructure Mikell.

IMO.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. In priority order:

No Brainers:
Cut Hunter
Cut Craig Dahl

Work to do:
Restructure or cut Mikell (can't stay at $9M per, just can't)
Extend Jackson
Harvey Dahl (I'm not sure if restructure is possible, so cut if you have to, but for some reason I don't think the Rams want to lose Harvey.)

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
CGI_Ram said:
Young Ram said:
Do not re-sign C. Dahl.
Cut H. Dahl.
Cut Hunter.
Contract Extend Jackson.
Restructure Mikell.

IMO.

No Brainers:
Cut Hunter
Cut Craig Dahl

Work to do:
Extend Jackson
Harvey Dahl (I'm not sure if restructure is possible, so cut if you have to, but for some reason I don't think the Rams want to lose Harvey.)

Craig Dahl isn't under contract :nana: :yahoo: :cheers: :woooot: :wootwoot:

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rams24/7 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Young Ram said:
Do not re-sign C. Dahl.
Cut H. Dahl.
Cut Hunter.
Contract Extend Jackson.
Restructure Mikell.

IMO.

No Brainers:
Cut Hunter
Cut Craig Dahl

Work to do:
Extend Jackson

If S Jax wants some top dollar like a top 10 back it might be time to cut ties.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
GreeneCounty said:
I sure hope so. Crazy how Rams have holes and still have cap issues.
Sam, just sayin'
I'm with 24/7 if we can cut and re-sign Hunter I would ,definately want Jax back and Harvey if he'll take backup money.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I understand needing cap space but cutting Harvey dahl or mikkell makes no sense. You already have holes at those positions-now you have craters. Get the lg and fs positions solidified with new players than re-vistit this discussion next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
rams24/7 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Young Ram said:
Do not re-sign C. Dahl.
Cut H. Dahl.
Cut Hunter.
Contract Extend Jackson.
Restructure Mikell.

IMO.

No Brainers:
Cut Hunter
Cut Craig Dahl

Work to do:
Extend Jackson

I don't care; cut him anyway.

:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
SaneRamsFan said:
I understand needing cap space but cutting Harvey dahl or mikkell makes no sense. You already have holes at those positions-now you have craters. Get the lg and fs positions solidified with new players than re-vistit this discussion next year.

I will be surprised if H Dahl is cut.

Mikell might create a hole, but nothing 9M can't fill ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't see the point in creating a hold by cutting H. Dahl to save money that you'd have to spend on a replacement of his caliber...just seems like you are working yourself in circles there. I'm sure if really needed you could restructure.

Mikells contract definitely needs to be restructured. Wayne Hunter looks like someone that gets cut but could be brought back at a reduced salary, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is here or if he isn't.

We know the story with Jackson, no need to state the obvious....again...and again.

C. Dahl :beating:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Remember H. Dahl will be coming off a biceps tear. Also the Rams gave up 0 sacks after Dahl got hurt. I like Dahl and if we don't cut him I wont be upset.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I don't know about creating a hole by cutting Harvey. We have better depth at Guard than we've had in many years, and a line coach that can get them coached up. I don't think we need to covet a FA guard as a replacement for Dahl.

Which doesn't mean that I think we should cut Dahl. Only that I don't think it's an unnecessary move.