5 Players Firmly on the Roster Bubble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687475-st-louis-rams-5-players-firmly-on-the-roster-bubble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687 ... ter-bubble</a>

St. Louis Rams: 5 Players Firmly on the Roster Bubble

Several St. Louis Rams players will spend the summer navigating the depth chart, looking to secure a place for their name in the regular season. Fifty-three guys do that on each NFL team every year—and the Rams have a recent history of high turnover.

That gives hope to undrafted rookies in 2013.

Austin Davis set the example in 2012 by holding down a roster spot at the expense of 30-year-old quarterback Kellen Clemens. Clemens is back for camp this time around, and the two will continue to compete with and push one another for a second consecutive summer.

Unless or until St. Louis signs another outside linebacker, Jonathan Stewart is presumptively included. Here are five more undrafted rooks with questionable but still legitimate chances to make the roster.

Benny Cunningham

Terrance Ganaway never got a carry with the St. Louis Rams in 2012. Now he’s got company vying for the team’s fourth running back slot.

That company comes in the form of 5’10”, 210-pound former Middle Tennessee State rusher Benny Cunningham. Both players have more bulk to them than 2012 holdovers Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead, but with the arrival of Zac Stacy, whoever takes the fourth spot might not get much work.

Terrell Brown

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports
Terrell Brown would be one of the most fearsome players to get off the bus if he ends up on an NFL squad this season. You don’t often see 6’10” 400-pounders in life.

There’s room for three or four backup offensive linemen with the St. Louis Rams. Jake Long, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold are presumptive starters. We don’t yet know who’s going to start at left guard, but either Shelley Smith, Rokevious Watkins (after Week 1) or Barrett Jones is going to do it.

The fact that two more are in the conversation speaks well of their ability to make the roster as backup interior linemen.

That leaves one or two tackle spots to be filled. Brown would be competing with the likes of Braden Brown, Chris Williams and a handful of other players for that depth chart position.

Ray-Ray Armstrong
Ray-Ray Armstrong changed positions to fit into St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher’s scheme in hopes of finding a spot in the NFL. Because James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Alec Ogletree are scheduled to man the linebacker spots, Armstrong isn’t likely to start.

Seven linebackers made the 53-man roster last season—sort of a high number for a team that starts fewer than half of that in a passing league where the ‘backers are the guys who get subbed out. In addition to his size and speed, Armstrong’s experience as a defensive back helps in that regard.

He’d have to be able to make an impact as a special-teamer to avoid the practice squad in 2013.

Cody Davis

David Welker/Getty Images
Before the St. Louis Rams signed a veteran safety (former Oakland Raider Matt Giordano), Cody Davis—or some other rookie—looked like a lock to make the roster despite going undrafted.

But the signing changes things.

Disregard the St. Louis safeties’ inexperience: The Rams didn’t even have numbers back there after the NFL draft. Eleven defensive backs made the 53-man roster. Five were primarily safeties: Quintin Mikell, Darian Stewart, Craig Dahl, Rodney McLeod and Matthew Daniels.

Two (Mikell and Dahl) are already gone via free agency. The Rams only drafted one.

Darren Woodard
Six cornerbacks were on the August 31 iteration of the 2012 St. Louis Rams roster. Bradley Fletcher and Jerome Murphy—who didn’t play a game for St. Louis that year—are no longer there.

Brandon McGee was the only corner St. Louis drafted in 2013, and the Rams haven’t brought in a free agent at the position. Darren Woodard is one of a handful of undrafted corners set to compete in camp this year.

He’s currently listed as the third right cornerback (behind Janoris Jenkins and Brandon McGee) on Ourlads.com’s depth chart.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In likely to keep order;

Cody Davis
Benny Cunningham
Ray-Ray Armstrong
Darren Woodard
Terrell Brown

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is it just coincidence that Albe is posting in 4th of July colors?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

pics_patriotic-34.jpg

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been looking at my high school yearbook I see. She had an inner beauty and removable dentures. :lol:

I still have that rug BTW.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

pics_patriotic-34.jpg

Can I be the first to say - FU CGI - That's just nasty! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We are supposed to CELEBRATE the 4th - not bastardize it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Been looking at my high school yearbook I see. She had an inner beauty and removable dentures. :lol:

I still have that rug BTW.

Dude!!!! That didn't help. Rug? :sick:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 exhibiting an excellent imagination and a weak stomach:

Ah the memories! :love:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 exhibiting an excellent imagination and a weak stomach:

Ah the memories! :love:

Memories? Argh! yeah - weak stomach applies but this goes WAAAAy beyond, :rofl:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Cody Davis is the only player to have a shot to make the team and that could diminish because of a veteran cut at safety by another team.

Benny Cunningham will not be ready because of injury and the Rams want him for the PS and to be ready for 2014.

You can call him Ray-Ray, however, he will be another PS player with hopes of him learning the LB position, but I don't expect much because he has always been overhyped.

Darren Woodard unless others get injured I don't expect to see much of him because I feel much better about UDRFA CB's Robert Steeples & Andre Martin.

As to Terrell Brown in the words of Petula Clark, he'll be sent downtown and I would not be shocked if he's a day one cut based on conditioning.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
IMO Cody Davis is the only player to have a shot to make the team and that could diminish because of a veteran cut at safety by another team.

Benny Cunningham will not be ready because of injury and the Rams want him for the PS and to be ready for 2014.

You can call him Ray-Ray, however, he will be another PS player with hopes of him learning the LB position, but I don't expect much because he has always been overhyped.

Darren Woodard unless others get injured I don't expect to see much of him because I feel much better about UDRFA CB's Robert Steeples & Andre Martin.

As to Terrell Brown in the words of Petula Clark, he'll be sent downtown and I would not be shocked if he's a day one cut based on conditioning.

I think you nailed it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
den-the-coach said:

I think you nailed it.
IaLCe5Z.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
albefree69 said:
Ray-Ray Armstrong
Ray-Ray Armstrong changed positions to fit into St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher’s scheme in hopes of finding a spot in the NFL. Because James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Alec Ogletree are scheduled to man the linebacker spots, Armstrong isn’t likely to start.

Seven linebackers made the 53-man roster last season—sort of a high number for a team that starts fewer than half of that in a passing league where the ‘backers are the guys who get subbed out. In addition to his size and speed, Armstrong’s experience as a defensive back helps in that regard.

He’d have to be able to make an impact as a special-teamer to avoid the practice squad in 2013.

This last directly above sentence carries big weight in fact. Ray Ray will have to be a serious ST'mer to win a roster spot & then win a outside Lb'er reserve spot. He has some experience competition in front of him. Fisher has an past Ram 7th rd pick in Hull has been here now for three years & 28 NFL games and a start under his belt. Then there's another past 7th rd Ram pick in Jabara Williams who has been around the Rams since 2011 he has NFL game experience too. Then there is Sammy Brown who was a UDFA who has some good talent & skill who has a yr of Fisher under his belt too. Along with Ray Ray are three other UDFA's in Steward (MLB) , LeBeau (MLB) & Stewart (OLB). So its a serious heated battle here for these reserve spots. Do not sell Joeseph LeBeau short he is a nasty strong beast in the middle and stands a good chance to impress many if given a chance.

IMO @ this very early stage I would bet, Sammy Brown will back up Dunbar's post, LeBeau will win the spot behind JL & The other vacant spot will be either Ray Ray, Jabara or Jon Stewart behind Tree....Ray Ray could pull it off.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The good thing about Ray Ray is that he has plenty of PS eligibility left if he doesn't make the 53 and no one steals him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BonifayRam said:
IMO @ this very early stage I would bet, Sammy Brown will back up Dunbar's post, LeBeau will win the spot behind JL & The other vacant spot will be either Ray Ray, Jabara or Jon Stewart behind Tree....Ray Ray could pull it off.

IMO the Rams are going to add a veteran here they've been kicking the tires and would not be shocked if Will Witherspoon does not have a 2nd tenure in St. Louis. Too many variables especially with his former position coach (Frank Bush) now with the Rams and the fact that Witherspoon now makes his home in Missouri.

Also I like UDRFA Jonathan Stewart out of all the LB's just based on size. He's 6"4 245lbs, however, the Rams could opt for more speed when it plays out. Also as fans we are always hoping that Josh Hull gets cut, but I don't see that happening this year...I see them keeping six LB's and it could play out this way.

SLB...Dunbar, Brown
MLB...Laurinaitis, Hull
WLB...Ogletree, Witherspoon

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
den-the-coach said:
IMO the Rams are going to add a veteran here they've been kicking the tires and would not be shocked if Will Witherspoon does not have a 2nd tenure in St. Louis. Too many variables especially with his former position coach (Frank Bush) now with the Rams and the fact that Witherspoon now makes his home in Missouri.
Also I like UDRFA Jonathan Stewart out of all the LB's just based on size. He's 6"4 245lbs, however, the Rams could opt for more speed when it plays out. Also as fans we are always hoping that Josh Hull gets cut, but I don't see that happening this year...I see them keeping six LB's and it could play out this way.

SLB...Dunbar, Brown
MLB...Laurinaitis, Hull
WLB...Ogletree, Witherspoon

Hey den ...Not so sure how much the soon to be 33 yr old Will has in his tank. Ton of wear & tear on him & most of his speed he displayed in his first four yrs with the Panthers and his first season with the Rams in 2006 is gone! The fact that Will could pinch hit @ any of the three starting posts is IMO Will's best skill @ this time that could benefit Fisher. Hull has the ability to play MLB & SSLB post if need be..Dunbar can play all three posts if need be too...Yep Jon Stewart is a load & has talent too but he is a basically a one post player like LeBeau.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BonifayRam said:
Hey den ...Not so sure how much the soon to be 33 yr old Will has in his tank. Ton of wear & tear on him & most of his speed he displayed in his first four yrs with the Panthers and his first season with the Rams in 2006 is gone! The fact that Will could pinch hit @ any of the three starting posts is IMO Will's best skill @ this time that could benefit Fisher. Hull has the ability to play MLB & SSLB post if need be..Dunbar can play all three posts if need be too...Yep Jon Stewart is a load & has talent too but he is a basically a one post player like LeBeau.

Agreed maybe it's best to stay with the youth movement, but I know they felt better last season having McIntosh & Haggan. Philip Steward also intrigues me. Played with Sammy Brown at Houston and Brown stated that Steward enabled him to be more effective as a pass rusher. So I could see this playing out, but I still have a gut feeling there will be a veteran LB signed come September Morn.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
albefree69 said:
Benny Cunningham

Terrance Ganaway never got a carry with the St. Louis Rams in 2012. Now he’s got company vying for the team’s fourth running back slot.

That company comes in the form of 5’10”, 210-pound former Middle Tennessee State rusher Benny Cunningham. Both players have more bulk to them than 2012 holdovers Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead, but with the arrival of Zac Stacy, whoever takes the fourth spot might not get much work.

Snead & Fisher IMO has some good options with Benny. Currently Ram appear to be set going into TC with Pead Stacy-Richardson as the main three RB's. From all that I have read the need for a 4th RB is not all that high on priorities due to the teams desire to get the ball into the hands of Tavon as often as possible. I consider TA Fishers 4th RB on the 53 player master roster. Ganaway as the 5th RB.

Benny's knee most probably could use some additional time to be ready for all the upcoming hard TC & pre season action. Options might be he is #1-IR'd or #2-PUP'd just before the season begins. #3- he makes master roster or released & signed for the PS (highly doubtful). I just do not think Fisher will take any chance on Benny on losing him.