5 NFL quarterbacks under the most pressure in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
5 NFL QUARTERBACKS UNDER THE MOST PRESSURE IN 2020

The quarterback position is the most analyzed position in all of the NFL. Quarterbacks are constantly carrying the brunt of the criticism, and they are the one to blame if their team does poorly. Every offseason, there are a handful of quarterbacks who are facing make-or-break seasons.

Here are the five NFL quarterbacks under the most pressure in 2020.

5. Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns

In 2019, the Browns were considered to be pre-season Super Bowl contenders. They acquired Odell Beckham, and they had young stars in Nick Chubb and Baker Mayfield. Mayfield was coming off a solid rookie season, and his above-average play at quarterback was something Browns fans had not seen in years.

The Browns got off to a rough start, and they started the season 2-6. A lot of people looked at Baker Mayfield, and cast blame on him for the Browns’ struggles. During his rookie season, he finished with 27 touchdowns playing 13 games. In 2019, he played three more games and finished with five fewer touchdowns.

Mayfield had more weapons at his disposal but still could not find consistency. He played behind a porous offensive line, and turnovers were an issue for the second-year quarterback.

Going into the 2020 season, Mayfield has the same weapons, and then some. The Browns also beefed up the offensive line with the additions of free-agent offensive tackle, Jack Conklin, and first-round pick offensive tackle, Jedrick Wills. The Browns recognized their young quarterback needs more time in the pocket, and this addressed those needs. They also added tight end Austin Hooper to give Mayfield even more weapons.

The Browns are making sure that their young quarterback has no more excuses, and they can see what his true potential is. The 2020 season will determine if Baker Mayfield is the Brown’s future under center.

4. Drew Lock, Denver Broncos

The Broncos made it obvious they were going to stack up their offensive weapons. In free agency, they built up their offensive line and added two-time Pro-Bowl running back, Melvin Gordon. In the draft, they added one of the best receivers in Jerry Jeudy, and they drafted second-round pick K.J. Hamler.

They already had weapons on the offense such as Philip Lindsay and Noah Fant. The Broncos are making it very hard for Lock to have any excuses and is truly trying to see if he can be their franchise play-caller.

Many people in the NFL community recognize the offseason the Broncos had. The pressure will be on Lock to bring them back to being a playoff contender. Lock does not have to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league to have a successful season. But he needs to be good enough to help them win games.

3. Gardner Minshew, Jacksonville Jaguars

In 2019, Gardner Minshew was thrown into the starting quarterback position when Nick Foles went down with a collarbone injury. The rookie out of Washington State finished with over 3,000 yards passing with 21 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

He seemed to prove his worth as a starting quarterback, but the Jaguars do not seem to think the same. Throughout the entire offseason, they have been linked to almost every free-agent quarterback. As Cam Newton remains on the market, they are one of the favorites to sign him.

If Minshew keeps his job as the starting quarterback for the Jaguars, he will face the constant speculation about whether the Jaguars will tank for star Clemson quarterback, Trevor Lawrence. Minshew will have to prove he is the future for the Jaguars or play well enough that he will be a hot commodity on the trade market.

The Jaguars are not helping him to succeed either. Rumors have been constantly flying about them looking to trade their star running back, Leonard Fournette. They also traded away key defensive pieces, as their full tank mode seems underway. If Minshew overcomes all these obstacles, he should prove his worth as a legitimate starting quarterback in the NFL.

2. Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago Bears

History will forever remember the Bears trading up to select Trubisky. They passed up future MVP and Super Bowl champion Patrick Mahomes, and one of the best quarterbacks in the league, Deshaun Watson.

The trade will forever haunt Bears fans because Trubisky has not met expectations. In 2019, the Bears finished 29th in total offense, only averaging around 205 passing years a game. Trubisky’s poor play and head coach Matt Nagy’s calling has been at the core of all criticism.

The Bears traded for Nick Foles to either put pressure on Trubisky or to take his starting job. The Bears declined Trubisky’s fifth-year option, and this may be the sign of the beginning of the end.

Chicago has one of the best defenses in all of football, and it is looking to win now. If Trubisky can’t help the team do that, then the end may be sooner rather than later.

1. Tom Brady, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

It seems almost insane to say the greatest quarterback of all time has the most pressure in 2020. It is like saying winning six Super Bowls is not enough to prove your worth. However, Brady put himself in a very interesting situation.

He left the only team he has ever known in his NFL career to join a team that has struggled to find any sort of consistent success. Brady left the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Bruce Arians. Arians is a quarterback whisperer, but he does not need to do much whispering here.

Brady took the gigantic risk of showing the world that he does not need Belichick to be successful. It is a calculated gamble, but it is still a gamble. He joins Pro-Bowl receivers Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. One of his favorite targets in New England, Rob Gronkowski, came out of retirement and just adds to a plethora of weapons.

The Bucs also secured the pocket for Brady through the draft, and the stars seem to be aligning for Brady to prove his gamble was well worth it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove. His attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I thought he was way too immature when he came out of Oklahoma. Right now, he hasn't done anything to disprove my assertions; he needs to grow the fuck up and get his head out of his ass in order to really be great.

I think that Drew Lock will dominate with the Broncos. He's not like Gabbert was with Mizzou; he actually has a great feel for the game, and I thought that Lock should've gone in the first round (whereas I thought that Gabbert was - at best - a late second round pick). He has a great arm, and any offense with Lindsay, Gordon, Sutton, Fant, and now Jeudy, Hamler, and Okwuegbunam should have an opportunity to succeed. And they improved the offensive line, not only in free agency, but with Cushenberry and Muti in the draft.

Gardner Minshew deserves to start. I don't care that he's a sixth round pick; if the Jaguars trade him, they'll regret it. He's not going to be a great quarterback like Goff, but he's good enough to win with, and that's all that matters. I wonder how he'd do with the Cheatriots, actually; he's a sharp mind, and Belicheat would probably love to have him. That's why I want him to stay with the Jaguars; if he went to the Cheatriots, they'd still take the AFC East every - fucking - year.

Mitchell Trubisky will never get a starting job again. Not that Foles is the answer, but you have to think that Trubisky is a flat-out bust. The fact that the Bears traded up merely one spot to take him and gave up all those picks when they could've taken Mahomes or Watson is just the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

Tom Bitchy better succeed with that starting cast. Unlike the others, though (Trubisky aside), he's not young enough to improve his game; he is what he is. He had better hope that his offensive line can protect him from Donald when we meet, although, personally, I'd love to see him get sacked at least three times by AD, and several more sacks from our supporting cast...along with a Rams win, of course.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree about Mayfield. He has to drop the crap and become a serious professional dedicated to being the best QB that he can. I don't know if he has the right staff to help him do it though. I've always loved his potential and it looked like he was on the right track in his first year. I

Lock is really set up nicely. I really like what Elway has done this year. That offense should be good for several years, if Drew can deliver. I haven't watched him much in college or with Denver so I don't know much about his skills. Denver will be an interesting team to watch.

I'm a big Minshew fan. I know he doesn't have the best physical tools but he has the personality. He seems to have a great attitude and it's easy to root for him. It sucks that he's mired in Jacksonville though.

Trubiskey looks like a full on bust. I'd like to see him go to the Patriots! I was shocked when Chicago picked him. Too bad for him too. It's a terrible position to be placed in. Being picked so early in the draft and being christened as the starter and leader of the team is a lot of pressure to deal with. Its not like he's a flake and not trying. At least he got first round money.

Then we have the marriage of Tom and Bruce. I don't know if there was ever a duo that I'm hoping to fail as much as these two. Some of Aryans antics in Arizona have caused many Ram fans to dislike him. I am rooting for a flash of this and a complete implosion of that relationship.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And a couple of really high profile Quarterbacks in Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields that could be available in the 2021 draft, so what team will Tank for Trevor & Fail For Fields?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Lock is really set up nicely. I really like what Elway has done this year. That offense should be good for several years, if Drew can deliver. I haven't watched him much in college or with Denver so I don't know much about his skills. Denver will be an interesting team to watch.

My brother's a Broncos fan, so I caught a few games, plus watched Lock in college at Mizzou. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, and it's quite accurate as well. He's got nice touch on the deep balls, and while he's not perfect, his footwork is decent. He could probably improve more on going through his progressions, and he's not the in-your-face leader that teams covet. But he's a hell of a quarterback, and unlike his comparison (Jay Cutler, if you're curious), his teammates absolutely love him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Drew Lock is my breakout player this year. I think he makes a huge leap and that Broncos offense is a top 10 unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still feel like Brady's a bad mix with Arians due to his preference for stretching the field deep. Brady's game is accuracy and short to intermediate throws IMO. Gonna be funny when him and Brucey go at it on the sidelines.

Memento

Name
Jemma
And a couple of really high profile Quarterbacks in Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields that could be available in the 2021 draft, so what team will Tank for Trevor & Fail For Fields?

Guarantee you that Belicheat is going to tank like hell; that's why he didn't bring in someone to challenge Stidham. The Jaguars or the Bears are going to be the other team. Colts are a dark horse, but I see them making the playoffs with Rivers.

Tano

Legend
Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove. His attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I thought he was way too immature when he came out of Oklahoma. Right now, he hasn't done anything to disprove my assertions; he needs to grow the fuck up and get his head out of his ass in order to really be great.

I think that Drew Lock will dominate with the Broncos. He's not like Gabbert was with Mizzou; he actually has a great feel for the game, and I thought that Lock should've gone in the first round (whereas I thought that Gabbert was - at best - a late second round pick). He has a great arm, and any offense with Lindsay, Gordon, Sutton, Fant, and now Jeudy, Hamler, and Okwuegbunam should have an opportunity to succeed. And they improved the offensive line, not only in free agency, but with Cushenberry and Muti in the draft.

Gardner Minshew deserves to start. I don't care that he's a sixth round pick; if the Jaguars trade him, they'll regret it. He's not going to be a great quarterback like Goff, but he's good enough to win with, and that's all that matters. I wonder how he'd do with the Cheatriots, actually; he's a sharp mind, and Belicheat would probably love to have him. That's why I want him to stay with the Jaguars; if he went to the Cheatriots, they'd still take the AFC East every - fucking - year.

Mitchell Trubisky will never get a starting job again. Not that Foles is the answer, but you have to think that Trubisky is a flat-out bust. The fact that the Bears traded up merely one spot to take him and gave up all those picks when they could've taken Mahomes or Watson is just the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

Tom Bitchy better succeed with that starting cast. Unlike the others, though (Trubisky aside), he's not young enough to improve his game; he is what he is. He had better hope that his offensive line can protect him from Donald when we meet, although, personally, I'd love to see him get sacked at least three times by AD, and several more sacks from our supporting cast...along with a Rams win, of course.
I always felt that Baker Mayfield had the same attitude as "Dollar Sign Dude" (without the drugs - that I know of) and would be a huge bust. Hasn't proven me wrong yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Colts are a contender. They had a really nice draft. Talent around Rivers will be night and day compared to the Chargers and the Colts have a good offensive staff. I'd guess they're a second tier type team because of their defense, get in the playoffs but probably not deep.

IMO the Bills are going to be a force this year though, that defense is real. Also the Jets & Dolphins should be significantly improved.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Guarantee you that Belicheat is going to tank like hell; that's why he didn't bring in someone to challenge Stidham. The Jaguars or the Bears are going to be the other team. Colts are a dark horse, but I see them making the playoffs with Rivers.

i'm not so sure because I believe he's too competitive for that, but if that was his goal all along and he's successful and they land Lawrence, he's more brilliant then I give him credit for.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I still feel like Brady's a bad mix with Arians due to his preference for stretching the field deep. Brady's game is accuracy and short to intermediate throws IMO. Gonna be funny when him and Brucey go at it on the sidelines.
I’ve heard on more than one occasion that Brady’s arm is as good as it ever was, and that he can still go deep. I don’t know if that means he was throwing it the dirt on purpose but this should be interesting.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Other than Minshew I hope the rest suck this year. Trubisky is a given. I can't stand Brady or Mayfield. I can't root for any QB other than Mahomes in the AFC west due to being a Chiefs fan and since Lock went to Denver I hope he doesn't pan out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strange list. Lock and Minneshew are playing with house money, Trubisky wont be a Bear by opening day and Brady isnt under pressure. 6 Rings means he could throw 50 INT and still tell the world to blow him
Carson Wentz is #1 in my book
I'd say
#5 Jared Goff- Its his team 100% now. Got a mulligan for last year but a repeat of that would be bad
#4 Aaron Rodgers- Put in a bad spot, could have gotten him a weapon in 1st round but...
#3 Sam Darnold- no more excuses
#2 Baker Mayfield- Cocky works if he goes Brett Favre, doesnt work if he goes Jonny Manzel
#1 Wentz- Cant help the club from the tub. They miss the playoffs, Peterson gets fired

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Strange list. Lock and Minneshew are playing with house money, Trubisky wont be a Bear by opening day and Brady isnt under pressure. 6 Rings means he could throw 50 INT and still tell the world to blow him
I'd say
#5 Jared Goff- Its his team 100% now. Got a mulligan for last year but a repeat of that would be bad
#4 Aaron Rodgers- Put in a bad spot, could have gotten him a weapon in 1st round but...
#2 Baker Mayfield- Cocky works if he goes Brett Favre, doesnt work if he goes Jonny Manzel
#1 Wentz- Cant help the club from the tub. They miss the playoffs, Peterson gets fired

The only reason they didn't miss the playoffs last year is because their division was terrible.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd say
Your list is better.