5 Best Offensive lines in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...t-offensive-line-nfl-addition-kelechi-osemele

There's often no quicker way for teams to repair ailing offensive lines than by dipping into the free-agent market and signing a proven commodity rather than rolling the dice in the draft.

That's exactly what the Raiders have done. After finishing the 2015 season as the sixth-ranked line by Pro Football Focus, the Raiders went out and locked up the top free-agent offensive lineman in Kelechi Osemele and retained their solid left tackle, Donald Penn. Now, on paper, Oakland has the league's best unit.

Here are the five best offensive lines in the NFL:

i

1. Oakland Raiders
Average starter rating: 82.7

The Raiders were already in good shape last season, but the addition of Kelechi Osemele moves them to the top spot in the league. Retaining left tackle Donald Penn means Osemele can stay inside at guard, his best position. Oakland is now the only unit in the league to have every starter rate above a PFF rating of 79.0. Osemele has been in the top five of PFF's run-blocking grades in each of the past two seasons.

Despite Penn's age (32), he still holds up well in the most important position on the line. Last season, he allowed just 32 total pressures -- eight more than Joe Thomas, the league's best pass-protecting tackle.

Add in center Rodney Hudson, guard Gabe Jackson and right tackle Austin Howard, the Raiders now have a line capable of being stellar at run-blocking and holding up in pass protection. Expect quarterback Derek Carr and Oakland's offense to keep developing.

i

2. Dallas Cowboys
Average starter rating: 80.7

The Cowboys had the best offensive line in 2015, but they'll have to settle for No. 2 for now. Their best players are better than anything Oakland has, with both left tackle Tyron Smith and center Travis Frederick arguably the best players in the league at their respective positions, but this line has weak links that Oakland no longer has.

Right tackle Doug Free is 32 years old and coming off a down year in which his run-blocking prowess deserted him. He still surrendered just one sack, but he did allow 33 additional hurries and was no longer the road-grading force in the running game that he had been. And for all the crushing highlight-reel blocks that guard La'el Collins had as a rookie, there were a several poor plays that kept his grade down. Collins taking a step forward in his second season could be enough to see this unit leap the Raiders and retake the crown as the league's best offensive line.

i

3. Green Bay Packers
Average starter rating: 80.1

The Packers have the league's best guard pairing with Josh Sitton on the left side and T.J. Lang on the right. Sitton is the best pass-protecting interior lineman, and he has averaged fewer than 10 total pressures per season over the past three years (9.7). He has surrendered just four sacks when playing guard -- two when asked to fill in at left tackle -- over those three seasons. Lang might not be quite as good of a pass protector, but he is a better run blocker.

Center Corey Linsley makes this arguably the league's best interior. Green Bay's issues are at tackle, where David Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga are inconsistent at best and limited at worst.

i

4. Atlanta Falcons
Average starter rating: 78.9

It's hard to believe how recently it was that the Falcons line had become one of the worst in the league, but they have done an admirable job of repairing it. Left tackle Jake Matthews jumped from being one of the worst-rated tackles in football as a rookie through an injury marred campaign to one that finished his second season ranked 19th. He gave up seven sacks as a rookie and was flagged 11 times, but in his second season, he surrendered just one sack and four penalties. Center Alex Mack is their big free-agent addition, and he should raise the average rating of this unit even more if he gets back to his best. Mack has been one of the league's best centers, but he was only average in 2015 after returning from injury.

Right tackle Ryan Schraeder spent the season vying with former Browns tackle Mitchell Schwartz, who just signed with the Chiefs, to be PFF's top-rated right tackle -- just edging ahead by the end of the season.

i

5. Carolina Panthers
Average starter rating: 74.5

Things unraveled in spectacular fashion for the Panthers in the Super Bowl when going up against the the Broncos, the league's most fearsome and diverse pass rush, but this was a strong unit for most of last season. Michael Oher was a near disaster as a run blocker, but in pass protection he allowed only four sacks and 31 total pressures all season.

Ryan Kalil, Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell formed a solid interior, and one that could rival Green Bay's for No. 1 in the NFL, while Mike Remmers played OK until he ran into Von Miller on the big stage and struggled. If you take away that game, Remmers finished the season just below average and had played well in the two playoff games beforehand. He could still prove to be a viable option at right tackle for the Panthers

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow, that doesn't seem to equate, at all.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The author isn't listed, but not sure how much weight I give to someone rating OLs on zero snaps played with zero facts on how the free agents will jell, injuries, etc. What's interesting is there's no cookie cutter absolute way to build these lines; like I cringe at seeing the free agent I really wanted Hudson with Oakland thinking you have to have an experienced vet, but then see how GB's two great guards can help a young center and am reminded it's all about the sum of the five guys, not the individual parts. I think the Rams did it right and will be on this list sooner than later.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
The author isn't listed, but not sure how much weight I give to someone rating OLs on zero snaps played with zero facts on how the free agents will jell, injuries, etc. What's interesting is there's no cookie cutter absolute way to build these lines; like I cringe at seeing the free agent I really wanted Hudson with Oakland thinking you have to have an experienced vet, but then see how GB's two great guards can help a young center and am reminded it's all about the sum of the five guys, not the individual parts. I think the Rams did it right and will be on this list sooner than later.

I'm not sure I want to be on this guys list. :unsure:

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I subscribe to the theory that the o line is a unit. It is useless to stack a line with individual talent if they remain individuals. It all comes down to coaching and scheme. How many times have you seen a stud guard or tackle change teams and look average on his new team?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dallas has far and away the best O-line in the game. They plugged a broken down Darren McFadden in, and he rushed for 1000 yards.
Not surprisingly though, the failure of the team was due to its QB play. The o-line as good as it is, cant pass for you

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with the author that Dallas and Oakland are the best lines in football. It seems obvious. I don't know about the other teams though. Green Bays line is not good, Carolinas line is average, And Atlanta's line is a bit better than average. Are the Olines in the rest of the league really worse than the last three on that list?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with the author that Dallas and Oakland are the best lines in football. It seems obvious. I don't know about the other teams though. Green Bays line is not good, Carolinas line is average, And Atlanta's line is a bit better than average. Are the Olines in the rest of the league really worse than the last three on that list?
Methinks Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton effect make those O-lines look a heck of a lot better....
Man, Atlanta requires some serious short term memory. "All Pro QB" and after they reeled off a 6-1 start, they plummeted to a 2-7 finish, averaging a paltry 16.5 ppg in that 9 game stretch

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Packers OL last year was not very good, ARod was running for his life half the time.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Atlanta in the top five? Nah. They have a quality run blocking line but Matt Ryan is forced to throw early on almost every pass.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Dallas has far and away the best O-line in the game. They plugged a broken down Darren McFadden in, and he rushed for 1000 yards.
Not surprisingly though, the failure of the team was due to its QB play. The o-line as good as it is, cant pass for you
Not only that, he didn't become the starter until week 5 or 6.