5 Article Post Dispatch Rams Preview Extravaganza

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Longtime NFL coach breaks down the Rams' receivers
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_61a572cd-6843-5475-ac49-6bc8234fe09e.html

The Coach’s take: A really good addition for the Rams. What Britt brings along with physicality, he brings an NFL presence. Guys who have established themselves in the NFL tend to get respect. He’s like a power forward, extremely good on the skinny post, in the seams and in the possession areas. He’s a guy who’s a big target, who can separate with his body. He can be a go-to guy on third down and certainly in the red zone.

The Coach’s take: When I see Pettis, what I see is reliability. He’s a guy who can basically finish a game for you at any spot. He’s smart, he can play multiple positions. Pettis has really good body control and good hands. He’s not a guy who can create offense, but he’s a guy who can take advantage of zone defenses, particularly in the slot. In the slot, he’s a guy who is smart. He can run the pivots and the drive stuff and if he isn’t pressed, he’s a guy who can catch a lot of balls for you.

The Coach’s take: Givens is the guy to me who really has to find it. He’s a guy who was terrific as a rookie. He’s a guy who is a potential playmaker. He lacked refinement, like a lot of young receivers; as a rookie, it was either go-route or catch and run. What I thought he had to do was really develop in the intermediate areas. You would’ve had a hard time differentiating from Givens and T.Y. Hilton of the Colts as rookies. But Hilton has gone on and has been developed to become an elite player while Givens is almost hanging on. There’s too much talent there to not be more productive.

The Coach’s take: Quick is a guy I thought, when they brought him in, at least from a skill set, could be kind of a Kenny Britt-type guy. He’s a guy with that same kind of power forward ability and maybe a even a little bit better stretch speed than Britt. He’s a guy I always thought would make a good red-zone guy, third and short, using that big body to separate. He’s just been, for one reason or another, he’s a guy who’s never connected the dots in competition, never developed that consistency. He has solid hands, not great hands. Now that he’s had all these reps and time to develop, it’s really now or never for him.

The Coach’s take: Austin is a very unique guy. You almost consider him a separate entity from your other receivers because he’s a guy who’s a playmaker that has to be used in creative ways. He’s a wrinkle player, a guy you have to use in a lot of different ways. He’s explosive and you have to find ways to get him the ball so he can catch and run — quick screens, bubble screens, hitches. At times, you want to get him in the backfield and hand him the ball. In the passing game, he plays best in the slot or from tight splits. He’s a guy who should be outstanding inside on pivots and options, a guy who can run away from people.

The Coach’s take: Bailey is an interesting guy. Bailey is one of those guys who really looks to be productive. We haven’t seen him enough, he’s not flashy, he’s kind of a one-speed guy. Doesn’t look like he’ll run away from people, like he may struggle at times on the press. But the one thing about Bailey is he tends to separate from defenders and he really tends to go get the football. And there’s always a spot for somebody like that. I don’t think he’s a creator, but I think he plays a little faster off the break and I think he can make the acrobatic catch and he will make the consistent catch. It’s always good to have guys you can count on like that.

==========

After stellar rookie season, Stacy leads a balanced backfield

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2a279c0f-64ac-54ab-990d-b5c57add6aff.html

Rams running back Zac Stacy doesn’t mind a little friendly competition. In fact, he encourages it.

“Football is a business built on competition,’’ Stacy said following a recent practice at Rams Park. “You’re constantly working to be better than the guy lined up across from you. It’s about being consistent and productive and about making the most of your opportunities.

“The competition in training camp has been the best I’ve seen since I started playing football. We have some great backs here, and we’re all working and pushing each other to get better. Every day, we’re challenging one another. And in the long run that’s something that will help this football team.’’

Although running backs coach Ben Sirmans said that final depth chart is still to be determined, he said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Stacy took the first snaps when the Rams open the season Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings at the Edward Jones Dome.

Then again, Stacy has earned it.

A fifth-round draft choice from Vanderbilt, the 5-foot-9, 224-pound Stacy patiently waited for his chance a year ago as the team opened the season with Daryl Richardson starting as part of a spread attack. But the spread was scrapped after a humbling 35-11 Thursday loss to visiting San Francisco, and when the team returned to action 10 days later, Stacy was in the backfield.

“It was definitely frustrating from the standpoint of knowing you can play at this level and wanting to prove it,’’ he recalled. “But you wait your turn and you keep working to get better. When the opportunity came, I took advantage of it.’’

Sirmans added: “Zac was a little nicked up in camp and we had some other guys doing well. But when Daryl hurt his toe, we decided it was time to give Zac a shot, to let him rock and roll.’’

Stacy, who had just one 4-yard carry through the first four games of the season, became the workhorse in the Rams’ ground game, finishing with 250 carries for 973 yards while catching 26 passes for 141 yards. He also had a team-leading eight touchdowns.

When asked about falling short of 1,000 yards, Stacy quickly dismisses it.

“Honestly, I’ve never been a guy who gets too caught up in numbers. The only number I care about is wins and losses,’’ the 23-year-old said. “I’m a big preparation guy; I take pride in Wednesday through Saturday, preparing and doing everything I need to do physically and mentally. That way, when Sunday rolls around, I can play fast and play smart. If I can do that, everything else will take care of itself.’’

Stacy’s production in the preseason was unspectacular — he ran 15 times for 39 yards and had a 10-yard pass reception — but it is not something he is worried about. He knows, and the Rams know, what he can do.

So instead of overworking Stacy, the Rams spread the preseason carries, giving plenty of work to third-round draft pick Tre Mason (43 carries, 124 yards), rookie free agent Trey Watts (25 carries, 106 yards, TD), second-year back Benny Cunningham (15 carries, 80 yards) and core special teams player Chase Reynolds (10 carries, 65 yards), who picked up 38 of those yards on a fake punt.

Consider, too, that the Rams’ starting offensive line was together for just a handful of preseason plays.

“We have guys who can complement Zac. And push him,” said Sirmans, who is in his third season with the club. “It’s as talented and competitive a bunch as I’ve coached, and each guy seems to bring a little something different to the table. So depending on the situation, any one of these guys could be called on.

“In this business, the bottom line is production. I don’t care if you’re getting 25 carries or five; when you get your chance, you have to make the most of it.’’

Cunningham, an undrafted free agent from Middle Tennessee, joined the Rams after seeing his college career cut short by a knee injury. Back at 100 percent, he is ready to take that next step.

“I just feel so much more comfortable now,’’ he said. “Last year, with the injury and all, I was stressing every day. But having a full year with the playbook, I’m a lot more confident on the field. And I don’t think I’ve ever felt better physically.

“If you’re not going to be the No. 1, you find some other way to get on the field — for me, it’s special teams. You keep working hard and you stay ready because you never know when your chance will come.’’

And that’s the attitude that “veterans’’ Stacy and Cunningham have tried to instill in rookies Mason and Watts.

Mason, a Heisman Trophy candidate last year, showcased his skill and durability as a junior last fall, rushing for 1,816 yards to break Bo Jackson’s single-season Auburn rushing record and scoring 25 touchdowns. He has struggled a bit in pass protection — something that is not uncommon for rookie backs — but will definitely add a different look to the Rams’ backfield.

“At this point, I’m just trying to work hard every day to become a better football player,’’ he said. “Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I’m trying to do the very best I can.’’

Watts is taking the same approach. At Tulsa, he did a little of everything, and he hopes to fill a similar role here.

“I think I can provide some different things,” he said. “We’re working every day to help and push each other because you’re only as good as your weakest link.’’

Reynolds’ focus will be on special teams; he didn’t have a single carry from scrimmage last season.

==========

Robinson battles through growing pains as Saffold shifts again

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_40ed7a62-f2f3-5bf7-b589-7e91bf03922c.html

Rams offensive lineman Greg Robinson has experienced some growing pains in preparation for his first NFL season. Or, as fourth-year pro Rodger Saffold calls it, “mental gymnastics.’’

“Physically, there’s no question he can handle it,’’ Saffold said. “But right now, he’s having a tough time with understanding the offense and the big picture of the defense. It’s something most guys go through. It takes time. It takes experience.

“He’s got the tools and he’s working hard. Believe me, once he gets it, he’ll be fine.’’

Even as the Rams selected Robinson, a 6-foot-5, 332-pound road-grader from Auburn, with the No. 2 overall draft pick in May, some critics viewed Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews as a better choice because of his bloodlines and experience in the pro-style game.

Matthews, the son of Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, went sixth overall to the Atlanta Falcons.

But the Rams’ choice of Robinson was not just about finding a starter for the season-opening game in 2014; it was about adding a player who can dominate for years to come.

And that’s why the Rams opted for Robinson, who provides a unique combination of size, skill and athletic ability.

Robinson, who will celebrate his 22nd birthday in October, worked at left tackle and left guard through training camp and started three of four preseason games. He’s had some issues with pass protection, which isn’t all that surprising when you consider that Auburn ran the ball 729 times while passing just 285 — that’s nearly 72 percent of the time — last year while advancing to the BCS title game.

Robinson was replaced by Saffold to start the third preseason game but still ended up leading the team in offensive snaps.

“They said I’ve been making too many mistakes and that the real bullets were about to start flying,’’ Robinson explained about not starting. “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. I feel like I’m making progress and if I continue to keep getting better, I’ll be fine.

“When the opportunity presents itself, I pray I’ll be ready.’’

Fortunately the Rams don’t have to force-feed Robinson. As long as they’re healthy, the probable starting combination of Jake Long at left tackle, Saffold at left guard, Scott Wells at center, Davin Joseph at right guard and Joe Barksdale at right tackle is strong, talented and experienced.

“I’d feel a little better if the No. 1’s had gotten a little more game time together, but overall I like what we have here,’’ Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said, noting the depth provided by Robinson, Tim Barnes, Mike Person and Barrett Jones. “Because of the injuries, we’ve been forced to use a bunch of different combinations, so now we don’t have to spend time cross-training them.

“But what I really like about this group is the way it communicates.’’

Saffold said communication within the line is crucial.

“You need to have a feel for each other, especially when you’re bouncing off blocks and trying to adjust to stunts,’’ he said. “Knowing how the guy on your right and your left is going to react makes all the difference in the world.’’

Saffold, 26, can relate to the struggles that Robinson is experiencing. Drafted with the initial pick of the second round in 2010, he started out at left tackle, shifted to right tackle and was ticketed for right guard this fall before being shifted again.

“I’ve got it all down now, except center. Please, no center,’’ he joked. “The move from tackle to guard was tricky because you’re using different footwork, different techniques. But between Jake and Scottie, we’ll be fine.’’

Saffold’s challenge has more to do with health than anything else. He played in all 16 games just once, as a rookie, and has lost time in previous seasons with shoulder, pectoral, knee and neck issues. This preseason, he was slowed by a shoulder stinger and then a sprained ankle.

“I can’t seem to catch a break. I’m just minding my own business, blocking, and — BAM — I get hit,’’ he said, referring to the ankle injury that forced an early exit from a preseason win in the Cleveland game. “But I came right back.’’

Ironically, it was a supposed injury that kept Saffold in St. Louis. In the offseason, he agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal with Oakland, only to have it voided when the Raiders said he failed the physical because of a torn labrum.

When the deal fell through, his agents made a quick call to the Rams, who were confident enough about Saffold’s health to come to an agreement on a five-year, $31.7 million contract.

The Rams stuck with Saffold and will do the same with Robinson, their projected left tackle of the future.

“We’ve asked a lot” of Robinson, Boudreau said. “He’s trying to learn two positions while also trying to figure out the NFL, the defenses, the terminology and the verbiage. The first couple of weeks, he was thinking too much, but now that he’s starting to settle in he’s able to just focus on playing the game.

“When he knows what to do and he’s doing it fast, he’s shown the ability to make some really freakish plays.’’

Robinson said the experience has been “up and down,’’ but he is trying to move forward.

“I’m not going to get down about anything,’’ he said. “It’s just a matter of mastering the techniques and developing that muscle memory. It’s all about knowing your alignment and your assignment.

“My focus is on learning every day and to just keep working to get better. I know if stick with it, I’ll eventually start playing football the way I know I can.’’

========

Welcome to Sack City, home of Quinn, Long and more

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8a83dc46-f32e-5b6e-8d28-8b51a526ec49.html

While driving home from his son’s baseball hitting session three days before Christmas, Kevin Carter was bombarded with text messages from former Rams teammate D’Marco Farr.

“You’ve got to watch this game! You’ve got to watch this! He’s about to break your sack record.”

Robert Quinn did just that. With three sacks against Tampa Bay last Dec. 22, Quinn had 18 sacks — he’d get No. 19 the following week in Seattle — breaking Carter’s St. Louis Rams record of 17 set in 1999.

Was Carter sad? Mad? Disappointed?

None of the above.

“I was proud. Proud to be a Ram,” Carter said. “I didn’t even know that the record was still there. It has been a lot of years.”

Carter, who lives in Tampa and works as a college football analyst for ESPN (mainly ESPNU), was surprised when he watched Quinn play. Oh, Carter knew Quinn could rush the passer. But it was his all-around play, use of hands, leverage against the run that was eye-opening.

“He’s got a great motor as well,” Carter said. “A pass rusher’s always hunting. You look at his demeanor and you look at his production on the field.”

He then paused for a moment, and added, “They’ve got two really good ends.”

He was referring of course to Quinn, who finished with an NFC-leading 19 sacks in 2013, and Chris Long.

Some national pundits are calling Quinn and Long the best defensive end tandem in the NFL. After Quinn’s breakout season he was named the NFL’s defensive player of the year by the Pro Football Writers Association. Nineteen sacks in one season is rarefied air; it’s not far off from Michael Strahan’s single-season mark of 22½, set in 2001.

Then there’s Long. The former No. 2 overall draft pick from Virginia had some doubters early in his pro career. But Long has silenced almost all of that group with consistency and productivity. Over the past four seasons he has 41½ sacks, an average of 10-plus per season and more than all but nine players in the NFL.

But that dynamic duo is only the start of it for the Rams’ defensive line. Just ask new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“This is the best front I’ve had a chance to be a part of,” Williams said. “Not only the first front; it’s the second front.”

The Rams have pedigree, with four first-round draft picks on their defensive line. They obviously have talent. Good coaching in the ex-Marine, Mike Waufle. And they have depth.

Beyond starters Quinn, Long, Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford, the Rams have a pair of backup ends in William Hayes and Eugene Sims who could start for a lot of teams.

With all that firepower, teams would be foolish to pay too much attention to Quinn.

“If you focus on me, your offense is gonna be getting pretty messed up,” Quinn said. “I think that’s what makes this defense so much fun. There’s so many moving parts you never know what’s really going on and it can be your big-play moment at any given time.”

But there’s more. The team was very excited to add unsung Alex Carrington in free agency from Buffalo, adding quality depth to their defensive line rotation. And finally, the cherry on top: 2014 first-round pick Aaron Donald of Pittsburgh.

In his work with ESPNU, Carter couldn’t help but be impressed watching Donald.

“When I come across a defensive lineman that has it figured out, so to speak, I tend to take notice,” Carter said.

The most impressive thing about Donald in Carter’s mind was how developed he was technique-wise as a college player. His get-off, his use of hands, and just his overall understanding of defensive line play were rare on the college level.

“Someone got a hold of him,” Carter said. “He must have had a great defensive line coach that really helped him along. He must have been watching NFL film.

“When you watch college games, you earmark the guys that either A.) have talent to go on to the next level, or B.) they have a profound understanding of the game. And for him it was both.”

After reviewing game film from the 2013 season, Rams coaches were pleased with what they saw from starting D-tackles Brockers and Langford. But they wanted more of an inside pass-rush presence.

Over the course of the ’13 campaign, they figured they lost 10 sacks on plays in which Quinn or Long steamed around the end, but the quarterback scrambled up the middle on a run or pass.

With the ultra-quick Donald rotating in on passing downs, quarterbacks will have no place to run, no place to hide, when that happens. At least that’s the theory.

With strong edge rushers in Quinn and Long, coupled with the interior rush of Donald, the 2014 Rams defensive front brings back memories of Carter and Grant Wistrom on the edge with Farr in the middle on the Rams’ Super Bowl XXXIV championship team. Farr sees the similarity.

“Yeah, I do,” he said. “I do. The only difference is Donald just got here. I knew what Grant could give you. I knew what Kevin was gonna give you. So we had a good feel for what the other two could do.”

Not only did the ’99 Rams have the single-season sack leader in Carter (17), they tied for the overall league lead with Jacksonville (57). The current Rams are in similar company, tying for first with Denver in sacks (52) in 2012 and finishing third in sacks (53) last season. Quinn was the NFC sack leader in 2013, and just half a sack shy of Robert Mathis of Indianapolis for the overall league lead.

With another year of maturity across the board, plus the addition of Donald, who knows what kind of pass-rushing these 2014 Rams can produce?

“I think the sky’s the limit,” Farr said. “But let’s start with sack No. 1. I hate putting it like how many sacks are they gonna get or how good can they be? To me, they’re the envy of the league, defensive line-wise. Now you just have to play like it.”

The hype has been consistent, to the point where nicknames for the front four have begun to spring up. Yes, some have suggested Fearsome Foursome II. But in these days of social media, the one that seems to have stuck is #SackCity.

Welcome to St. Louis, home of the Gateway Arch, toasted ravioli and quarterback sacks. Sack City.

“There’s a lot of talk out there about our unit and all this stuff,” Long said. “We take pride in that, but at the same time we tell the guys don’t believe that hype. You gotta go make it happen.”

So is he, or is he not a resident of #SackCity?

“I’m not big on nicknames,” Long said. “You know, you might have fun with a nickname, but really we have to go and earn stuff like that. We’re confident we can play it out on the field and be one off those well-known units. But you have to do it year in, year out.”

With that in mind, there’s no place to start but the present.

=============

Inside the Roster

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2c275d51-a4aa-5220-9efc-4a2289595433.html

QUARTERBACKS

Does NFL life begin at 34 for Shaun Hill? The avid fisherman who calls the Lake of the Ozarks home has a chance to start throughout an entire 16-game schedule for the first time in his career. He has opened a season as the starter only once in his previous 12 NFL seasons, and does so Sunday against a Minnesota team that he entered the league with in 2002. Sam Bradford’s replacement needs to pose enough of a threat in the passing game, especially by completing a deep ball every now and then, to keep opposing defenses from stacking the box against the run. Coming off an impressive preseason, Austin Davis enters 2014 as the No. 2 quarterback. But he remains pretty much an unknown since he has yet to play in a regular-season game. It will take weeks for No. 3 Case Keenum, claimed off waivers from Houston, to be a factor as he learns the offense.

RUNNING BACKS

What can Zac Stacy do for an encore? He helped salvage the 2013 season, coming off the bench in Game 5 and gaining 969 yards rushing over the final 12 contests. Stacy looked a little leg-weary as the preseason progressed, and his rushing totals were underwhelming (15 carries, 39 yards). Stacy’s strength is inside running, and he has a knack for burrowing into a group of defenders and moving the pile. It will be interesting to see how much playing time Benny Cunningham gets behind Stacy. Cunningham was the most impressive RB in exhibition play. He has a little more wiggle and a little more speed than Stacy. Third-round draft pick Tre Mason had issues with pass protection in the preseason, so he may see very limited playing time early in the season. Undrafted Trey Watts was a preseason surprise; now he’ll try to carve out a role in the regular season.

WIDE RECEIVERS

There is cause for optimism based on the play of Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey during the June OTAs, training camp and the preseason. Unfortunately for the Rams, Bailey will miss the first four games for violating NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs. He has looked very much like a go-to receiver, so his presence will be missed. Britt has been a pleasant surprise, emerging as the veteran leader of the unit. He and Quick are a pair of big targets with big-play potential. Quick looks like a different player this year; he’s more confident and is doing a better job coming down with contested balls. But seeing will be believing in the regular season. If the Rams get Quick and Britt going, that will make Tavon Austin much more effective working underneath. Chris Givens brings speed; Austin Pettis is a red zone threat.

TIGHT ENDS/FULLBACKS

Back for his second season here, Jared Cook has big-play potential and has shown good run-after-catch ability. But drops remain a concern, so maintaining focus and consistency in that area is a must. Lance Kendricks continues to grow as an all-around tight end who can block on the line or in the backfield and catch passes. He doesn’t have Cook’s speed but can get down the seam. Cory Harkey is a blocking specialist who does most of his work lined up in the backfield in a fullback role. He has improved as a pass-catcher in his time with the Rams and can’t be overlooked coming out of the backfield occasionally. Undrafted rookie Alex Bayer made the roster based on his pass-catching. He’s a willing blocker but still needs to polish up there. The Rams used plenty of two- and three-tight end sets a year ago, and that doesn’t figure to change.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Once again, there is a feast-or-famine nature to this unit. If left tackle Jake Long, left guard Rodger Saffold and center Scott Wells can stay healthy, this could be one of the league’s better units. But recent history shows that’s probably wishful thinking. We’ll see. Wells is smart, tough, and gets off the line and into the second level quickly. Saffold was a revelation last year after switching to guard, showing power and athleticism pulling on running plays. Underrated as a run blocker, Long could be rusty early coming off knee surgery. At right guard, former Tampa Bay Pro Bowler Davin Joseph is a crafty veteran who plays with a mean streak. Joe Barksdale has developed into Mr. Reliable at right tackle and is kind of an unsung hero. No. 2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson begins the year on the bench and needs work on his pass blocking.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The glamour unit of this roster, the D-line needs to live up to the hype. Right end Robert Quinn emerged last season as one of the game’s elite pass rushers. Undoubtedly he will get more attention, so the sacks may not come as easily. Chris Long is more than just an effort player. He looked a little quicker off the ball in camp this summer and should be right in his prime at age 29. Tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford were slowed by ankle issues during the preseason but should be at or close to full strength. Both are lighter this year, which in theory means they’ll be quicker. Talented backups at end, William Hayes and Eugene Sims have been slowed by injuries. It’s uncertain how much they can contribute early. The D-tackle rotation features rookie Aaron Donald, a pass-rush threat, and free-agent pickup Alex Carrington.

LINEBACKERS

After missing all of the preseason with an ankle injury, highly-productive middle ’backer James Laurinaitis is ready to go. He has quickly gained new coordinator Gregg Williams’ trust as someone who understands the scheme and can serve as a quarterback of the defense. Laurinaitis has developed into a “glue” player who holds things together on this side of the ball. On the weakside, Alec Ogletree needs to pick up where he left off in his strong rookie season. Quiet in camp, Ogletree can run sideline to sideline and has big-play potential. Look for a bit of a resurgence from Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who’s a collision defender, especially against the run. He played in Williams’ system in New Orleans, so he’s very comfortable with the scheme. Ray Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates are the only backups. Look for Armstrong to be used in some defensive packages.

SECONDARY

This is easily the most questionable unit on defense, in large part because of its inexperience. Look for teams to go right at the Rams’ corners in the passing game, particularly with Trumaine Johnson out at least a month with a knee injury. The other “veteran,” Janoris Jenkins, needs to cut down on penalties and do a better job tracking deep balls. He has the tools to be a very good corner. Rookie nickel back Lamarcus Joyner is smart, instinctive and hard-nosed. But he had some coverage issues during the preseason, so there may be an adjustment period. Rookie E.J. Gaines from Mizzou and/or Brandon McGee will man the corner spot opposite Jenkins until Johnson returns. Gaines doesn’t looked overwhelmed in any way so far by the NFL. At safety, T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod had good preseasons and have been quick studies in the scheme.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The kicking chores are in good hands — make that legs — in punter Johnny Hekker and place-kicker Greg Zuerlein. Hekker is coming off a Pro Bowl 2013 season in which, with the help of the coverage unit, he set an NFL record for net punting. When it comes to field goals, Zuerlein’s kicks haven’t had the “wow” factor of his rookie season — when for a while he was kicking one bomb after another. But he has become more consistent and remains a threat from 50-plus. Long snapper Jake McQuaide is very dependable. It’s a safe bet Tavon Austin will make something happen returning punts, assuming the return team minimizes penalties. Either Benny Cunningham or Chris Givens will handle kickoff returns. Givens has the long-distance speed. Perhaps because of his big-back frame, Cunningham looks unorthodox. But he usually puts together a good return.