5-2 defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And Clowney.

QUINN - CLOWNEY - BROCKERS - LANGFORD - LONG
QUINN - LANGFORD - BROCKERS - LONG - CLOWNEY
Jeez what a formidable line.

The issues are obvious though. You'd need Laurinaitis and Ogletree (I suppose) as the two LB's, and I think that would work out okay, as they both have good (borderline great) lateral movement. The problem is obviously the defensive backfield and the gaping holes at LCB and FS at the moment. If the Rams had corners who excelled at press coverage, there would be zero chance that a QB would have more than a nanosecond to make a decision with the ball in passing situations.

And like a La Canfora article, this will never happen. Just thought it would be beastly anyway.

Actuallly it might even work better with:

SLB MACK - LONG - LANGFORD - BROCKERS - QUINN

As Mack could switch back and forth off the line of scrimmage.

RamzFanz

Damnit
When? On 3rd and long only? Who do you sit? Just asking questions...:)

Why would you sit Clowney? He has played from both sides and inside. He's excellent against the run. He can drop back in pass coverage when needed. I don't get why you keep saying he would have to be part time.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why would you sit Clowney? He has played from both sides and inside. He's excellent against the run. He can drop back in pass coverage when needed. I don't get why you keep saying he would have to be part time.
Because our DLine currently has a rotation of
Quinn
Long
Brockers
Langford
Hayes
Carrington
Sims
Cudjo
Conrath

Quinn is never going to sit unless he's gassed, same with Long(enter Hayes or Sims). Brockers is a 1st rd pick DT who's still developing and will rarely be taken out unless it's an obvious passing situation. Willy Hayes is already probably the highest paid 3rd DE in the league. Fisher loves Langford. Sims has made the most of his small PT.

The way i see it Clowney just isn't going to get many opportunities unless we're blowing a team out by 30 points. I'm not saying it isn't possible to find snaps for Clowney. It is...but a #2 overall pick for a DLine that is already stacked?
IIRC we finished 2nd in sacks last year. I'd rather have Mack(over JD) who wouldn't have to leave the field as often, and who could compete with Jo Lon for a starting position.

Just my take.

EDIT: thanks Rammer

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Because our DLine currently has a rotation of
Quinn
Long
Brockers
Langford
Hayes
Sims
Cudjo
Conrath

Quinn is never going to sit unless he's gassed, same with Long(enter Hayes or Sims). Brockers is a 1st rd pick DT who's still developing and will rarely be taken out unless it's an obvious passing situation. Willy Hayes is already probably the highest paid 3rd DE in the league. Fisher loves Langford. Sims has made the most of his small PT.

The way i see it Clowney just isn't going to get many opportunities unless we're blowing a team out by 30 points. I'm not saying it isn't possible to find snaps for Clowney. It is...but a #2 overall pick for a DLine that is already stacked?
IIRC we finished 2nd in sacks last year. I'd rather have Mack(over JD) who wouldn't have to leave the field as often, and who could compete with Jo Lon for a starting position.

Just my take.
You forgot Carrington Brah! I actually think he is going to be a Hayes type of rotation guy when it comes to production.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
p.s think we are going OL with first pick even if Clowney is available.... we need to secure our biggest weaknesses and that's hands down the OL and our secondary...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You forgot Carrington Brah! I actually think he is going to be a Hayes type of rotation guy when it comes to production.
I did!
:doh: Well it only adds to my case i suppose. Man i hope Snead finds a way to trade that pick.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I did!
:doh: Well it only adds to my case i suppose. Man i hope Snead finds a way to trade that pick.
Amen brother! I honestly think there is a 80% chance he trades that pick and gives us a one up this draft to get the last maximized value of that RG3 trade. It might not be the same deal obviously but chances are when we come up to bat and espcially if Clowney is there at #2 we are I don't know if 5 minutes or however the time limit is is enough time to take and evaluate all the calls we'd be getting!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Amen brother! I honestly think there is a 80% chance he trades that pick and gives us a one up this draft to get the last maximized value of that RG3 trade. It might not be the same deal obviously but chances are when we come up to bat and espcially if Clowney is there at #2 we are I don't know if 5 minutes or however the time limit is is enough time to take and evaluate all the calls we'd be getting!
All i want is a high end 2nd rounder...at least.

Hell, if anyone can invent a 5-2 defense its Fisher/Williams but i'd rather not F with a good thing. Like you said, this is the last bounty courtesy of WASH...maximize it.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
All i want is a high end 2nd rounder...at least.

Hell, if anyone can invent a 5-2 defense its Fisher/Williams but i'd rather not F with a good thing. Like you said, this is the last bounty courtesy of WASH...maximize it.
Amen, I think we are very like minded on our direction and views of our team.

Alan

Legend
With a high second rounder I see 4 holes filled before the third round. That would give us quite a bit of latitude to go in lots of different directions in the third round.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Mack is the more versatile piece of this paradigm of Williams' ?Mad Scientist philosophy. Cover, rush, stop the run... Let's bring the noise

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
With a high second rounder I see 4 holes filled before the third round. That would give us quite a bit of latitude to go in lots of different directions in the third round.
Hell yes! It's about time we are finally getting to the point we are starting to be able to draft with BPA than just need. Think our higher picks will be a combo the of the two but our other draft picks will be BPA which increases your chances of getting some diamonds in the rough.

fearsomefour

Legend
I put this out there a couple weeks ago. Haha. If you draft Clowney you have to run a 5-2 defense.
He'd be our 3rd DE in rotation otherwise... i'm not cool with that.
A 5/2 but Clowney can shift back to LB and run a 4/3. If he is all he is cracked up to be (a bigger LT) he can play all over.