49ers vs. Rams: An Early Look at QB Austin Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams2050

Starter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ams-austin-davis-quarterback-pff-grades-stats

The San Francisco 49ers travel to face the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football, and PFF's Jeff Deeney was kind enough to provide an early preview of the Rams. For this first article, I wanted to focus on Austin Davis. We'll likely have a scouting report on Davis later this week, but for now, here is a rundown of some of his numbers.

Davis will be making his third straight start for the Rams. The second year quarterback opened the season backing up Shaun Hill, but took over the job in Week 1. Hill suffered an injury, and Davis took the job and ran with it. After an ugly Week 1 for the entire team, the Rams have started to turn things around on offense. After scoring six points in Week 1, the Rams have averaged 26 points per game the last three games.

Davis is currently averaging, 7.9 yards per attempt, which is tied for seventh in the NFL. He has completed 50 percent of his attempts of 20+ yards downfield. On such throws, he is 11 of 22 for 346 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, and a 107.2 passer rating. PFF runs a stat called Accuracy Percentage, which is the completion percentage, factoring in dropped passes. Davis has an accuracy percentage of 59.1, which is second among quarterbacks with double digit attempts over 20 yards.

Davis has been pressured on 40.4 percent of his dropbacks, which is tops among any quarterback with 100+ dropbacks. When Davis faces a blitz, he has a 67.4 passer rating, and -1.8 PFF grade. When he is not blitzed, he has a 109.0 passer rating this season and +4.7 PFF grade. PFF ranks St. Louis 30th in pass blocking efficiency. This combines sacks, hits, and hurries relative to how many times a line is in pass protection. Football Outsiders ranks the Rams line 25th in their own adjusted sack rate metric. Adjusted sack rate gives sacks plus intentional grounding penalties per pass attempt, adjusted for down, distance, and opponent.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ams-austin-davis-quarterback-pff-grades-stats
It's safe to say the 49ers might want to send a little extra pressure. The 49ers don't blitz nearly as much as other teams, so we'll see if they mix it up a bit this week given Davis's struggles against blitzes.

rams2050

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...e-ward-austin-davis-brian-quick-defending-the

San Francisco 49ers
defensive coordinator Vic Fangio had his weekly press conference Friday afternoon. Fangio primarily spoke about the 49ers secondary and the Rams wide receiver, but he provided some interesting details about Jimmie Ward and Perrish Cox, as well as Rams QB Austin Davis and WR Brian Quick. Here's the transcript.

What have you seen from Rams QB Austin Davis?

"I see a guy that's playing very well. Since he's come into the starting lineup, these guys have averaged 26 points a game and well over 400 yards a game. He's thrown the ball extremely well with accuracy. He's got a high quarterback rating that shows that. Throws the deep ball well. These guys like to throw it deep. So, we're going to have to be good on the deep balls during the game. And he's done a nice job moving this offense."

Did you know anything about him before this week?

"I did not personally."

So, what's it like when you go from zero to 60 on a guy not knowing anything about him and trying to learn as much as you can in a short amount of time?

"Well, fortunately, he's played the last three games for them. And he came in the first game, too, at some point. So, really we've got as much tape on him as we would have if the other guy had still been the quarterback. So, it's really not a whole lot different than any other week."

Is that an advantage for a quarterback? It seems like in the league whenever there's a new quarterback, he's has immediate success and then the rest of the league eventually catches up with him?

"Sometimes. They never caught up with [Patriots QB] Tom Brady."

Have you seen Davis struggle against the blitz?

"Not particularly, no. No more no less than other quarterbacks."

You guys have the best road record since you guys arrived in 2011. What do you think is the biggest reason for that success?

"We have good players."

When you say that, is it quality players, or players who aren't put off by all the distractions on the road? Veteran players? What is the key aspect of that?

"Well, that's part of being defined as a good player. You're probably not a good player if you're put off by distractions, if you get flustered when you go on the road. That's all part of being a good player."

Have you seen the Rams WR Brian Quick making strides this season? And if so, what are they?

"Well, he's a size receiver, number one. He's got 4.5 speed. And to me, he's just playing with a lot more confidence and knowledge of the game. Just playing with more confidence, more aggressiveness. Going to get the ball, feeling comfortable knowing the routes he's running, being in the same system now since he's been there. I see a damn good receiver. The whole receiving corps is very impressive and a versatile group. They've got two really fast guys in [Rams WR Chris] Givens and [Rams WR Tavon] Austin. And then you've got Quick and [Rams WR Kenny] Britt, who are size guys. They've got good receiving tight ends. It's a good receiving group."

Speaking to some of your defensive players, they say what they see on film isn't always what they get. How much of the Rams, or how different are the Rams than others that you've faced, that they'll throw more new things out that you haven't seen?

"Well, there'll be new things every week from everybody. Some people, it becomes more dramatic than others. The Rams have the mentality, they want to run the ball. They have good running backs that they're running with. They've got a good line. They've got good running schemes. And they're committed to the run. So, we've got to be ready both from a technique and physical standpoint and a mindset standpoint to go play their run game."

Some quarterbacks can be flash in the pan types. When you look at Davis, does he have certain qualities and traits where you say, OK, that's an NFL starter material?

"I do. Like I said, he throws the deep ball very well. Throws the intermediate stuff very well. And to me, he's got good command of his emotions and the offense. The game doesn't seem too big for him, for a guy that's never played until three weeks ago. He's come in and done a really nice job. And to me, that's indicative of a guy that the game's not too big for him. It's also indicative of a guy who's preparing all along like he knew he was one play away from playing. And he was ready for them."

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
PFF ranks St. Louis 30th in pass blocking efficiency.

There's the problem! Justin Smith will have a field day against our line if they don't take it to the 49ers with the run from the git go. Of course our line can't run block right now either.:mad: