49ers shopping RB LaMichael James

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
LaMichael James hints that he sees a trade coming
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2014

350x-28.jpg
AP

When news broke that the 49ers are shopping running back LaMichael James, it may have come as a surprise to some. But not to James.

Shortly after the reports surfaced of the 49ers trying to trade him, James hinted in a series of messages on Twitter that he saw it coming. His first tweet after the news broke was, “When old news become new news.” He then retweeted a series of tweets from fans saying that James would benefit from a fresh start.

So it sure sounds like James will spend 2014 somewhere other than San Francisco. That’s not a big surprise, as the 49ers gave James just 12 carries last year behind Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter, and this year they’re adding Marcus Lattimore to the mix.

The only question is where James will end up. Philadelphia is an obvious connection because Chip Kelly was James’s college coach at Oregon, but the Eagles don’t much need James, considering that they already have LeSean McCoy, Darren Sproles and Bryce Brown at running back.

Perhaps some team will like James enough as a return man to give up a late-round pick for him, but it’s also possible that the 49ers won’t be able to find anyone willing to give up anything for James.

Alan

Legend
I'd give him an unguaranteed vet minimum contract and see how he does in TC.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
man he is fast

Might be a good return man as the article says. It's tough to get much playing time behind Frank Gore. I'm really not comfortable with the RB's we have behind Zac Stacy and if we don't get one in the draft we might be wise to kick the tires on this guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Watched him in college a bunch. He will play for someone in 2014. I just don't know that we need him but I believe he'd be an upgrade over DR. Very good hands and has been fairly durable for his size. He runs lower to the ground than DRich as well and knows how to pick up the blitz. He can also return kicks in a pinch.

I would probably wait until he is released but maybe that is just me not wanting to give the Whiners ANYTHING.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Damnit I realliy wanted him couple years ago. Now there's a chance to and the Rams won't even get to fuckin do it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Damnit I realliy wanted him couple years ago. Now there's a chance to and the Rams won't even get to freakin do it.
I remember that. Guess we'll see how it plays out. If he's released, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams bring him in. At minimum he'd be a better Dahl reversal.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I'm a big Ducks fan so I watched LMJ's whole college career. The fact that Harbaugh pulled the trigger on him is a head scratcher. Harbaugh simply doesn't run the type of offense to utilize his talents. I don't think Fisher does either, or at least the end of last season Fisher. Denver would be a good fit for LMJ. Manning would use him properly by getting him out in space.

Alan

Legend
Tailback taking big chances with incoming:
I'm a big Ducks fan so I watched LMJ's whole college career. The fact that Harbaugh pulled the trigger on him is a head scratcher. Harbaugh simply doesn't run the type of offense to utilize his talents. I don't think Fisher does either, or at least the end of last season Fisher. Denver would be a good fit for LMJ. Manning would use him properly by getting him out in space.
Be careful out there Taco and for Bhudda's sake keep your eyes open!
2010-08-06-Bird-Watching.png

Here's a nice avatar if you want it:
images

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed. James has nice hands and speed, but his cuts aren't very good for a 3rd down back IMO. Slow feet when making quick decisions for a guy his size. He'll definitely get a job somewhere.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agreed. James has nice hands and speed, but his cuts aren't very good for a 3rd down back IMO. Slow feet when making quick decisions for a guy his size. He'll definitely get a job somewhere.
Slow feet? Are you sure you're thinking of James? This is a kid who made Pac 12 defensive players look downright silly at times. If there is a knock it's that he can be brought down or knocked off his feet a little easier than I'd like. But James has patience and the quicks to pop the second the hole opens up. He's one of the few small backs that has both the patience to let blocks happen and the decisiveness to hit the hole immediately.

I think we have his skill set fairly well covered but like I said, I could see us switching him out for DR and think it would be a pretty good upgrade. His willingness to mix it up on pass blocking alone would be an upgrade.

But I've actually never heard anyone say he has slow feet. I watched most of his college games and while I never viewed him as a feature back, I think he is a weapon in the right situation.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Slow feet? Are you sure you're thinking of James? This is a kid who made Pac 12 defensive players look downright silly at times. If there is a knock it's that he can be brought down or knocked off his feet a little easier than I'd like. But James has patience and the quicks to pop the second the hole opens up. He's one of the few small backs that has both the patience to let blocks happen and the decisiveness to hit the hole immediately.

I think we have his skill set fairly well covered but like I said, I could see us switching him out for DR and think it would be a pretty good upgrade. His willingness to mix it up on pass blocking alone would be an upgrade.

But I've actually never heard anyone say he has slow feet. I watched most of his college games and while I never viewed him as a feature back, I think he is a weapon in the right situation.
Not when running and juking, but watch his feet before he makes sharp cuts. Thats what i've seen as unusually sloppy for a back like him. Maybe i'm nitpicking but fuck it he's a Niner.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I loved him in college but he wouldn't have the chance to reach his full potential on any NFC West team. Schottenheimer wouldn't know how to use him anymore than he knows how to use D. Rich. Plus, I would never negotiate with the 9ers anyway. Screw them!

Alan

Legend
Tailback trying to find out my secrets:
Who are you and how do you know my middle school nickname?
If I answered either of those questions I'd have to kill you so let's just pretend I'm an old classmate of yours. You know, that cool guy who used to steal your girl friends.

Sorry about that. :(

You should think about getting an avatar before one of our more playful mods pick one for you. :LOL:

Good to see you jumping into the conversations! We need more participation.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might be a good return man as the article says. It's tough to get much playing time behind Frank Gore. I'm really not comfortable with the RB's we have behind Zac Stacy and if we don't get one in the draft we might be wise to kick the tires on this guy.

I agree, although I think we're set with kick returners between Tavon Ausin and Greg Reid (whom im expecting big things from). James however, would be a good change of pace back, a better Daryl Richardson imo