49ers planning to go hard after Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Kyle is who I think he is...the mastermind of offensive football...No reason he can't turn

Mitch Trubisky
DeShone Kizer
DeShawn Watson
into a better version of Kurt Cousins....build through the draft.

Kirk Cousins didn't breakout until he was playing under Sean McVay was the OC. He actually performed quite poorly during Shanahan's last year in Washington.

I hope it's Cutler. IMO he stinks. Maybe he's in a similar situation as the rams having no players around him but last time I watched him he was baaaaddd. Plus, if we have Kromer as our O-line coach, it's going to be so fun.

Cutler is more than what they have now. He's a starting caliber QB. I'd rather they not get him.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kirk Cousins didn't breakout until he was playing under Sean McVay was the OC. He actually performed quite poorly during Shanahan's last year in Washington.

Cutler is more than what they have now. He's a starting caliber QB. I'd rather they not get him.

Well I do wish they would keep kap and gabbert as their qbs, but I feel like that's wishful thinking :D
Curious as to who theyre going to draft in the 1st round or if theyre going to move down in the draft. They're probably going to pick up a qb either way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

To be fair tho, McVay also got him with a little more experience. That helped.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair tho, McVay also got him with a little more experience. That helped.

I'm not aiming to insult Kyle Shanahan as an offensive mind or QB developer. I was just making the point that Kyle didn't turn Kirk into anything. I'd rather he not be in San Francisco, but that ship has sailed.

I'm not aiming to insult Kyle Shanahan as an offensive mind or QB developer. I was just making the point that Kyle didn't turn Kirk into anything. I'd rather he not be in San Francisco, but that ship has sailed.

Kyle worked with Cousins for two years while he was a backup. They had a good relationship. While it didn't manifest into anything for Cousins until later, I wouldn't discount Kyle's impact on Cousins growth as a QB. The fact is Cousins wasn't ready early on and there was little playing time to improve until after the RG3 debacle ended.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ds-like-hed-be-interested-in-jimmy-garoppolo/

Kyle Shanahan sounds like he’d be interested in Jimmy Garoppolo
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2017

633593578.jpg
Getty Images

On Sunday, Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will be on opposite sidelines in Super Bowl LI. Next season, could they be on the same team in San Francisco?

Shanahan, the next head coach of the 49ers, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he liked Garoppolo heading into the 2014 NFL draft, when Shanahan was the Browns’ offensive coordinator and they chose Johnny Manziel in the first round. The Patriots took Garoppolo in the second round that year.

Of course, it’s easy for Shanahan to say now that he liked Garoppolo better than Manziel. When a draft pick fails as spectacularly as Manziel, everyone in an organization is quick to deflect the blame. But Shanahan says he thought heading into the draft that Garoppolo was the real deal.

“He was a very good thrower,” Shanahan said of Garoppolo. “Tough guy, kept his eyes down the field, could get rid of the ball fast. Really liked the person. Had a chance to go out to dinner with him and stuff. He played at Eastern Illinois, and it was a different type of offense where you can’t always evaluate with how quick they get rid of the ball. But I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion.”

How much would the 49ers be willing to give up in a trade to acquire Garoppolo from the Patriots? That remains to be seen. But the Patriots will undoubtedly field many offers for Garoppolo in the offseason. And one may come from the 49ers.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ds-like-hed-be-interested-in-jimmy-garoppolo/

Kyle Shanahan sounds like he’d be interested in Jimmy Garoppolo
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2017

633593578.jpg
Getty Images

On Sunday, Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will be on opposite sidelines in Super Bowl LI. Next season, could they be on the same team in San Francisco?

Shanahan, the next head coach of the 49ers, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he liked Garoppolo heading into the 2014 NFL draft, when Shanahan was the Browns’ offensive coordinator and they chose Johnny Manziel in the first round. The Patriots took Garoppolo in the second round that year.

Of course, it’s easy for Shanahan to say now that he liked Garoppolo better than Manziel. When a draft pick fails as spectacularly as Manziel, everyone in an organization is quick to deflect the blame. But Shanahan says he thought heading into the draft that Garoppolo was the real deal.

“He was a very good thrower,” Shanahan said of Garoppolo. “Tough guy, kept his eyes down the field, could get rid of the ball fast. Really liked the person. Had a chance to go out to dinner with him and stuff. He played at Eastern Illinois, and it was a different type of offense where you can’t always evaluate with how quick they get rid of the ball. But I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion.”

How much would the 49ers be willing to give up in a trade to acquire Garoppolo from the Patriots? That remains to be seen. But the Patriots will undoubtedly field many offers for Garoppolo in the offseason. And one may come from the 49ers.

Hopefully the Pats ask for a first, second and third round pick. Oh wait, I hate the pats too. Damnit no win scenario.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kirk Cousins played dam well as a rookie and won 2 games for them to get them in the playoffs. RGIII got the glory but Cousins in his brief time was every bit as effective

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyle worked with Cousins for two years while he was a backup. They had a good relationship. While it didn't manifest into anything for Cousins until later, I wouldn't discount Kyle's impact on Cousins growth as a QB. The fact is Cousins wasn't ready early on and there was little playing time to improve until after the RG3 debacle ended.

Cousins started a few games during the Shanahans' final year there (after playing well over a couple games as a rookie). He stunk up the field. It wasn't until McVay became the play-caller that Cousins broke out (second year of Gruden's tenure). I'm not trying to give McVay all the credit. I think Gruden deserves a ton of credit. But I'm certainly not buying that Kyle Shanahan developed Cousins.

Cousins started a few games during the Shanahans' final year there (after playing well over a couple games as a rookie). He stunk up the field. It wasn't until McVay became the play-caller that Cousins broke out (second year of Gruden's tenure). I'm not trying to give McVay all the credit. I think Gruden deserves a ton of credit. But I'm certainly not buying that Kyle Shanahan developed Cousins.

No doubt Cousins has had his ups and downs, especially early on. I've seen every one of his games up to this year. I not sure McVay would have done anything different to speed up that development if he was there from the beginning. With all the statistical accomplishments Cousins has had in recent years it is the timing of the turnovers that has repeatedly killed them in games (and of course a lack of a defense). Possibly a reason the Redskins didn't get a deal done sooner is because some in the organization may still have doubts based on the financial commitment it will take to keep him.

I base my comments about Cousins and Shanahan based on those early years and what Cousins and Shanahan were both saying and doing while RG3 was the starter. Cousins had some good moments back then but was both inconsistent and not ready for prime time (he forced things), but he was evolving. I just think a case can just as easily be made that McVay and Gruden may have inherited a QB that was ready to break out when given the right opportunity. I give all three credit, Shananhan for his part in the early development, Gruden for sticking his neck out to give Cousins his chance, and McVay for refining his skills. I'm all for Cousins as a Redskin and hope they get a deal done so they can move on to other needs.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt Cousins has had his ups and downs, especially early on. I've seen every one of his games up to this year. I not sure McVay would have done anything different to speed up that development if he was there from the beginning. With all the statistical accomplishments Cousins has had in recent years it is the timing of the turnovers that has repeatedly killed them in games (and of course a lack of a defense). Possibly a reason the Redskins didn't get a deal done sooner is because some in the organization may still have doubts based on the financial commitment it will take to keep him.

I base my comments about Cousins and Shanahan based on those early years and what Cousins and Shanahan were both saying and doing while RG3 was the starter. Cousins had some good moments back then but was both inconsistent and not ready for prime time (he forced things), but he was evolving. I just think a case can just as easily be made that McVay and Gruden may have inherited a QB that was ready to break out when given the right opportunity. I give all three credit, Shananhan for his part in the early development, Gruden for sticking his neck out to give Cousins his chance, and McVay for refining his skills. I'm all for Cousins as a Redskin and hope they get a deal done so they can move on to other needs.

But he didn't break out for McVay and Gruden until their second year there. It's not like he broke out immediately after Kyle left. That would make it much more believable.

I don't believe that playing for Kyle Shanahan set him back, but I'm not giving Kyle the credit (or even most of it) for Cousins's development.

But he didn't break out for McVay and Gruden until their second year there. It's not like he broke out immediately after Kyle left. That would make it much more believable.

I don't believe that playing for Kyle Shanahan set him back, but I'm not giving Kyle the credit (or even most of it) for Cousins's development.

Well to be fair, Cousins didn't get the nod as the starter until McVay and Gruden's 2nd year. Prior to that he was sharing time and was caught up in the team turmoil about RG3 and the pressures to make that work. He had a short leash to work from during that period and the owners preference was on RG3 at the time. Cousins has also stated that it made a tremendous difference when he was named the starter at the beginning of that season and had the full backing of Gruden and the coaching staff. So the timing of the breakout year makes perfect sense, regardless of the scenario of who shares in the credit for his development.

Obviously, we just have a difference of opinion on it. I was just sharing my observations based on having seen all the games, listening to the local sports radio, and hearing what the players and coaches were saying while living in the town where it all happened, and when it happened. That said, you'll probably find every opinion imaginable on the subject from fans living in the DC metro based with the same observations. :)

It will be interesting to follow the development of both McVay and Kyle Shanahan as they embark on their first HC jobs, and competing against each other on a regular basis.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
‪Falcons QB Matt Schaub could follow Atlanta OC Kyle Shanahan to SF, per sources. Schaub could be starter, backup or bridge to future SF QB.‬

Hahahaha hahahaha

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
‪Falcons QB Matt Schaub could follow Atlanta OC Kyle Shanahan to SF, per sources. Schaub could be starter, backup or bridge to future SF QB.‬

Hahahaha hahahaha

Is there anyone Shanahan isn't interested in bringing to the 49ers? Tim Tebow maybe? :cool:
*************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-interested-in-bringing-matt-schaub-to-49ers/

Report: Kyle Shanahan interested in bringing Matt Schaub to 49ers

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that current Falcons backup Matt Schaub may be in the mix. He’ll be a free agent in March and Schefter reports that Shanahan, who also coached Schaub with the Texans, is interested in bringing him along.

Schaub could serve as a bridge quarterback if the team drafts another quarterback in April. There are other options for the 49ers to explore on the quarterback front, Schaub’s experience with Shanahan could make him part of the team installing a new offense in Santa Clara this offseason under any circumstances.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Schaub could serve as a bridge quarterback if the team drafts another quarterback in April. There are other options for the 49ers to explore on the quarterback front, Schaub’s experience with Shanahan could make him part of the team installing a new offense in Santa Clara this offseason under any circumstances.

Rams have had great success against Matt Schaub, who was the Quarterback that Mike Martz wanted to draft really bad, but the Falcons swooped in and drafted him just ahead of the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to be fair, Cousins didn't get the nod as the starter until McVay and Gruden's 2nd year.

He got the nod as the starter in their first year in Week 2. He got benched for Colt McCoy during their 7th game. Colt McCoy later got benched for RGIII when he returned from injury. Cousins didn't play well enough to keep the starting job that year.

Prior to that he was sharing time and was caught up in the team turmoil about RG3 and the pressures to make that work. He had a short leash to work from during that period and the owners preference was on RG3 at the time. Cousins has also stated that it made a tremendous difference when he was named the starter at the beginning of that season and had the full backing of Gruden and the coaching staff. So the timing of the breakout year makes perfect sense, regardless of the scenario of who shares in the credit for his development.

If you rationalize it after the fact, it does. But Kirk had every chance to take hold of the starting job in 2014. He failed to do it. RGIII was injured. There was no threat of getting benched for RGIII.

Obviously, we just have a difference of opinion on it. I was just sharing my observations based on having seen all the games, listening to the local sports radio, and hearing what the players and coaches were saying while living in the town where it all happened, and when it happened. That said, you'll probably find every opinion imaginable on the subject from fans living in the DC metro based with the same observations. :)

It will be interesting to follow the development of both McVay and Kyle Shanahan as they embark on their first HC jobs, and competing against each other on a regular basis.

I think highly of both guys. I think Kyle is a very brilliant offensive mind (unsure about his personality, though). We'll see how Kyle does in SF. But I do bristle at the notion that Kyle developed Cousins. He didn't. It would be like crediting Jerry Rhome (Rams OC in 1998) with developing Kurt Warner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there anyone Shanahan isn't interested in bringing to the 49ers? Tim Tebow maybe? :cool:
*************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-interested-in-bringing-matt-schaub-to-49ers/

Report: Kyle Shanahan interested in bringing Matt Schaub to 49ers

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that current Falcons backup Matt Schaub may be in the mix. He’ll be a free agent in March and Schefter reports that Shanahan, who also coached Schaub with the Texans, is interested in bringing him along.

Please do. Schaub was done years ago. His arm is gone.