49ers planning to go hard after Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean, just watch all his plays against Miami... this is not a highlights reel, it's every pass:

Figure the Browns will trade their second #1 (10th) for him.

I'm still not buying Garoppolo. WRs running open and all day to throw. I think he's going to end up being more Kevin Kolb than Tony Romo. But it'll depend on where he ends up. If he ends up on a team with a ton of offensive talent and the right system (like Asshole Face's system), he'll probably be a capable starter.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The 49ers aren't going to offer that deal. They're not going to pay that much money upfront.(in the unexpected event that he gets the non-exclusive tag)
If the 49ers were serious about getting Cousins, those are the kind of cap numbers that would be required to sign him. The difference would be front loading the guaranteed money into the first year. If they have the cap space, and the overall contract parameters are similar in regards to guaranteed and total money, it would be better than the scenario involving giving up the #2 pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the 49ers were serious about getting Cousins, those are the kind of cap numbers that would be required to sign him. The difference would be front loading the guaranteed money into the first year. If they have the cap space, and the overall contract parameters are similar in regards to guaranteed and total money, it would be better than the scenario involving giving up the #2 pick.

They're not paying him $50 million to $60 million Year 1. It's simply not going to happen.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
They're not paying him $50 million to $60 million Year 1. It's simply not going to happen.
We've already established it's not going to happen. I'm curious what your reasoning is that it's impossible? They have an insane amount of 2017 cap room.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've already established it's not going to happen. I'm curious what your reasoning is that it's impossible? They have an insane amount of 2017 cap room.

It's not that it's impossible, it's that it's highly improbable. Even with all of their cap room, dedicating that much cap space to one guy is highly problematic. It restricts their ability to put a team around him. And it's not the sort of precedent that the NFL will want to see set.(plus, there's the fact that they'd be having to hand over $50 million to $60 million in cash to one player that year)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The whiners last 3 wins all came against the Rams, they havent beaten a team other than the Rams in almost a yr and a half. Time for this to end.

The 49ers only won 2 games all 2016 ??
It cost me 40 g or k or whatever. Talk about a dumb Rams fan. Seriously sucks
Fisher would loss to a division team like that & win most of the rest.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It's not that it's impossible, it's that it's highly improbable. Even with all of their cap room, dedicating that much cap space to one guy is highly problematic. It restricts their ability to put a team around him. And it's not the sort of precedent that the NFL will want to see set.(plus, there's the fact that they'd be having to hand over $50 million to $60 million in cash to one player that year)

Actually, front-loading a deal with a roster bonus payable in the first year is not problematic at all. If you have the cap space It frees up future cap space to allow the flexibility to add players later.

If Cousins signs a long term deal he's going to get that much cash. In most situations teams use signing bonuses to spread the cap hit out over several years, but the majority is still paid up front. The 49ers cap situation makes that unnecessary. With their 2016 carryover they are looking at potentially $80-90 million is cap space. If there was ever a year to pull this move off, this would be it.

As far as the NFL is concerned, teams have front loaded contracts in the past to try keep other teams from matching, this is just a bigger scale due to Cousins being a franchise QB. We all know it isn't happening, but in my opinion this scenario is better for the 49ers than the ESPN article's trade and sign, which isn't happening either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, front-loading a deal with a roster bonus payable in the first year is not problematic at all. If you have the cap space It frees up future cap space to allow the flexibility to add players later.

I am aware. But you're talking about having Cousins eat up $50 million to $60 million in cap room.

If Cousins signs a long term deal he's going to get that much cash. In most situations teams use signing bonuses to spread the cap hit out over several years, but the majority is still paid up front. The 49ers cap situation makes that unnecessary. With their 2016 carryover they are looking at potentially $80-90 million is cap space. If there was ever a year to pull this move off, this would be it.

Again, I am aware. But that has Cousins eating up about 60% of their available cap space. The 49ers have a ton of holes to fill.

As far as the NFL is concerned, teams have front loaded contracts in the past to try keep other teams from matching, this is just a bigger scale due to Cousins being a franchise QB. We all know it isn't happening, but in my opinion this scenario is better for the 49ers than the ESPN article's trade and sign, which isn't happening either.

Personally, I think giving up the #2 pick for Cousins on a less crazy deal is better for the 49ers. Losing two first round picks and the majority of your cap space would hurt a lot more. It would prevent you from using FA to build around Cousins this year and cost you picks in the future.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Why not draft a rookie to groom behind Tony Homo (after making a trade for him, of course)?

They wouldn't need to give up as much.

Also, their receivers are bad, but Torrey Smith in that offense would be pretty dangerous.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not draft a rookie to groom behind Tony Homo (after making a trade for him, of course)?

They wouldn't need to give up as much.

Also, their receivers are bad, but Torrey Smith in that offense would be pretty dangerous.

Romo has one or two years left before his body is completely done. The 49ers aren't a contender. It doesn't make sense to sign him (or trade for him). I think a guy like Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor, or Mike Glennon would make some sense as a stop-gap.

The key is not looking like you're mailing the season in...while also accepting that you're likely mailing the season in.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I am aware. But you're talking about having Cousins eat up $50 million to $60 million in cap room.

Again, I am aware. But that has Cousins eating up about 60% of their available cap space. The 49ers have a ton of holes to fill.

Well, certainly 2017 would be a challenge to sign a lot of big money free agents, but they'd still have some room and would be in great shape to add FAs in 2018 and beyond.

Personally, I think giving up the #2 pick for Cousins on a less crazy deal is better for the 49ers. Losing two first round picks and the majority of your cap space would hurt a lot more. It would prevent you from using FA to build around Cousins this year and cost you picks in the future.

When you say a "less crazy deal", the only thing changing is the year in which the money is paid. He's not going to accept less money. Really, all this comes down to is whether it's better to have more cap space in 2017 or in the future. (I say future is better) and whether the 2017 #2 is worth more than the 49ers 2018 & 2019 picks. I'm pretty sure if any team offered just their 2018 & 2019 firsts for the #2 pick the 49ers would laugh, even if it was the Browns. So I'm pretty sure that #2 pick is more valuable.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, certainly 2017 would be a challenge to sign a lot of big money free agents, but they'd still have some room and would be in great shape to add FAs in 2018 and beyond.

This is a deal you're making because you want to compete this year.

When you say a "less crazy deal", the only thing changing is the year in which the money is paid. He's not going to accept less money. Really, all this comes down to is whether it's better to have more cap space in 2017 or in the future. (I say future is better) and whether the 2017 #2 is worth more than the 49ers 2018 & 2019 picks. I'm pretty sure if any team offered just their 2018 & 2019 firsts for the #2 pick the 49ers would laugh, even if it was the Browns. So I'm pretty sure that #2 pick is more valuable.

When I say less crazy deal, I mean a deal structured more realistically.

I'm pretty sure if the Browns offered their 2018 and 2019 firsts for the #2 pick, the 49ers would strongly consider it.

The 49ers know that there isn't a franchise QB in this class (if they're making this deal). It makes perfect sense for them to give up #2 for a QB that they think is a franchise QB. Especially when it allows them the flexibility to build a team around him and not have to give up their 2018 and 2019 firsts.

Simple truth is that they'd have used that #2 pick on a franchise QB if there was one in the draft.

FRO

Legend
Ryan, Jones, Freeman... are not on the 49ers roster.
Yeah, but Shanahan got the most out of those guys. He's gotten the most out of Schaub. He's a great OC and if he can get decent offensive talent on the team he will build a good offense. Remains to be seen if he can be a good HC because HC and OC are totally different. But a team with the best OC in the league on it can be something to worry about.

FRO

Legend
Romo has one or two years left before his body is completely done. The 49ers aren't a contender. It doesn't make sense to sign him (or trade for him). I think a guy like Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor, or Mike Glennon would make some sense as a stop-gap.

The key is not looking like you're mailing the season in...while also accepting that you're likely mailing the season in.
Cutler makes a lot of sense for them. He's played in the system before and would be a good stop gap QB. If they can trade down from 2 and add more picks and draft some good offensive talent for their eventual rookie QB that would be great. Always good to line a young QB up with talent before you draft them rather than scrambling for it after you do.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why trade for Cousins when Case Keenum is on the market?
I heard he's a great QB to have when you're grooming your "franchise QB"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/01/jay-cutler-could-be-in-play-for-the-49ers/

Jay Cutler could be in play for the 49ers
Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2017

626147930-e1485946728277.jpg
Getty Images

With Kyle Shanahan destined to become the next coach of the 49ers, Kirk Cousins may not be destined to become the next quarterback. That honor could go to Jay Cutler.

Apart from the fact that Shanahan’s father, Mike, drafted Cutler to Denver, 49ers G.M. John Lynch played with Cutler in Denver and regards Cutler as a friend.

“I like Jay, he’s a friend of mine,” Lynch said during a radio interview in 2009. “He had some growing up to do, probably still has some growing up to do. But in saying that, I think the Broncos erred in letting him go.

“This is a guy, in my mind, that’s a once-in-every-15-year-type talent. He’s got that kind of skill. I think he’ll grow into the other things. I sometimes think during this whole ordeal, they tried to paint him as a bad guy, but he’s not a bad guy at all. He’s got some growing up to do, but hopefully he learned something from this whole ordeal and offseason.”

That said, don’t count on Lynch trading for another former teammate from the Broncos. In the same interview, he offered a “buyer beware” assessment of receiver Brandon Marshall, who was drafted by Mike Shanahan in the same year that Cutler was selected.

“I don’t like saying [buyer beware], but you’ve got to call a spade a spade, and I think it’s a dangerous proposition,” Lynch said. “I don’t think you’ll see the Broncos sign him to a long-term deal, because right now the behavior he’s demonstrated off the field, I don’t think you’d feel comfortable doing anything long term.

“As I said, on the field, he’s very comparable to a guy like Terrell Owens. He’s that good of a player. But being a professional in my mind . . . takes doing it on the field and off the field. You can’t have all choir boys. I believe in first and second chances, but when you’re talking about 13 or 14 . . . I think at a certain point you’ve got to say this guy’s got some issues that he’s got to work out before you can trust him.”

In the eight years since then, Marshall has indeed worked through issues and matured considerably. Cutler, by all appearances, has grown up as well. Given that both are currently under contract with other teams and in light of the fact that Lynch now works for the 49ers, it won’t be known whether his opinion has changed unless and unless he does, or doesn’t, trade for either guy.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a bit iffy on cousins. Them trading picks and signing him to a big deal only to bust would be a dream for me

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutler is a much more realistic option for the Niners than Cousins is. They have enough draft picks to spend their 2nd on a developmental QB if one falls this year.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope it's Cutler. IMO he stinks. Maybe he's in a similar situation as the rams having no players around him but last time I watched him he was baaaaddd. Plus, if we have Kromer as our O-line coach, it's going to be so fun.