49ers owner declares “fresh start” for Colin Kaepernick but he may want out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...er-declares-fresh-start-for-colin-kaepernick/

49ers owner declares “fresh start” for Colin Kaepernick
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 29, 2016

kaepernick.jpg
Getty Images

The future of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was in question from the moment he was benched midseason. But with the hiring of coach Chip Kelly, owner Jed York said he’s leaving the possibility of his former starter reclaiming the job, and potentially flourishing.

During his appearance on “The Rich Eisen Show” yesterday, York said that decision would be up to Kelly and not him, downplaying the economic factors.

“I think the nice thing is we have the third-most salary cap room in the league, and everybody wants to make a big issue of, ‘Well, you need to make a decision on Colin.’ Etcetera, etcetera,” York said, via CSNBayArea.com. “We want Colin to get back healthy as soon as possible. We want to make sure that he’s able to take the field whenever he’s available.

And we’ve all seen what Colin can do. Taking us to a Super Bowl, an NFC Championship game the year after. He’s had a great career here. Obviously last year wasn’t a great year for any of us in red and gold. And I think Chip is going to be a great addition, not just for Kap, but for the rest of the team. I’m excited to see where it goes.”

Asked specifically if Kaepernick could regain the starting job once he’s recovered from thumb and knee surgeries, York was open to the possibility.

“There’s no question in my mind,” he said. “I’ve always had a very, very high opinion of Kap. Kap’s a great kid, he’s done a lot of great things for us. And again, this is a fresh start for everybody.”

Beating out Blaine Gabbert for his old job shouldn’t be difficult, and many think Kaepernick is well-suited to run the kind of offense Kelly will be implementing. And considering the fact he’s not exactly expensive, the “fresh start” might be all Kaepernick needs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think there's any doubt that Kelly/Kaepernick were a package deal when Chip signed with them.
At least not in my mind anyway.

jap

Legend
Warning to Kap: 2016 will be a fresh start for The Mighty Quinn too, along with Aaron, 'Tree, TJ Mac & Co. They will be looking forward to getting your face reacquainted with the turf.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't understand the connection between Kelly and Kaepernick.
Since Kelly has been in NFL he hasn't required a running QB, in fact his offense is more about quick reads and QB getting ball out fast.
Sure, Kaep seems a perfect fit for the Oregon offense, which is nothing like what we've seen in Philly. Was at its best with an immobile Foles, who replaced the ineffective/mobile Vick. And Kelly lauded immobile Bradford as the perfect fit.
If anything Kaep seems a bad fit to me.
I guess we'll see.
Either way I hope its a total train wreck disaster

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 30]Douche-gel-fresh-start-ah- by BatteringRambo posted Jan 29, 2016 at 8:47 AM[/GALLERY]

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think the 49ers will still look hard at QBs in this draft. Chip did too much trying to find the perfect QB for his system to sit tight with a guy who lost his job last year. And the management there isn't pleased as far as I can tell with Kaepernick. Doesn't guarantee they'll draft one - but if a guy they really like falls to them, they could easily figure to give him a year on the bench while giving Colin a last chance.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So many people focus on Kaepernicks mobility and think he is a good fit for the Chip Kelly Experience. Moreso than a running Qb , Kelly likes a passing QB, which Kaepernick has not been so good at. I don't see the match up and believe that there is no way in hell that the Niners don't draft a QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Warning to Kap: 2016 will be a fresh start for The Mighty Quinn too, along with Aaron, 'Tree, TJ Mac & Co. They will be looking forward to getting your face reacquainted with the turf.
Yep!!

QUINN.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually think Kap is a good fit for Kelly. Just because he hasn't run the Oregon offense in the NFL doesn't mean he doesn't think it can work. I do think however that Kap will get broken in that system if used in the NFL.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Since Kelly has been in NFL he hasn't required a running QB, in fact his offense is more about quick reads and QB getting ball out fast.
Sure, Kaep seems a perfect fit for the Oregon offense, which is nothing like what we've seen in Philly. Was at its best with an immobile Foles, who replaced the ineffective/mobile Vick. And Kelly lauded immobile Bradford as the perfect fit.
I guess we'll see.

I think krapondick is a bad fit for any O that requires a proficient passer, which is why I like the idea.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I guess we'll see.

Well, in 2013 Foles played 13 games and had 221 rushing yards and 3 rushing touchdowns. It's no Mobil qb numbers, but they did do the read option quite a bit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, in 2013 Foles played 13 games and had 221 rushing yards and 3 rushing touchdowns. It's no Mobil qb numbers, but they did do the read option quite a bit.
That's 17 yards a game.
He didn't run read option. Kelly also drafted Matt Barkley because of his skill set.
He had opportunity to bring in mobile QB and he chose Bradford. Kelly has more than once said he doesn't run read option

Psycho_X

Legend
This just makes me think of The Office when Michael declares bankruptcy and Oscar lets him know he can't just yell it and make it so.

Qa5dsjQjlCqOY.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good.

One less QB needy team drafting in front of us.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
That's 17 yards a game.
He didn't run read option. Kelly also drafted Matt Barkley because of his skill set.
He had opportunity to bring in mobile QB and he chose Bradford. Kelly has more than once said he doesn't run read option

Cam Newton averaged 39.8 yards a game. Thats just under 23 yards more than foles averaged...which isnt all that much more considering it takes a truck to stop him. Foles is a pocket passer. Do you really think Chip Kelly would have ignored the running skill if Foles actually had one? I mean, I'm pretty sure I could back pedal as fast as Foles can run forward.

The reason it didn't work with Vick was because he just isn't a good thrower. He never was. Factor that in with his injuries and he almost had to stick with Foles.

He simply did not run the read option as a primary source of offense because he didn't have the tools to. Now he has a guy who can throw it better than Foles, and has used the read option to get to two NFC championships and one superbowl. There's no way he doesn't use Kap as a weapon.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes it will be interesting to see his offense with a qb that fits it perfectly. The Rams will just have to hit the krapper no matter where the ball goes. Make him cry like they made rg3 cry to the media.

diggity

Rookie
So...the new Stinkin' 9er HC says kapernut will be dangerous...basically doing the same thing that the 9ers RIPPED him for. Running too much!
Okie dokie then.
GO RAMS!!!!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cam Newton averaged 39.8 yards a game. Thats just under 23 yards more than foles averaged...which isnt all that much more considering it takes a truck to stop him. Foles is a pocket passer. Do you really think Chip Kelly would have ignored the running skill if Foles actually had one? I mean, I'm pretty sure I could back pedal as fast as Foles can run forward.

The reason it didn't work with Vick was because he just isn't a good thrower. He never was. Factor that in with his injuries and he almost had to stick with Foles.

He simply did not run the read option as a primary source of offense because he didn't have the tools to. Now he has a guy who can throw it better than Foles, and has used the read option to get to two NFC championships and one superbowl. There's no way he doesn't use Kap as a weapon.
Actually, he didn't run the read option with Vick or with Foles. Not even close.
Kelly offense in the NFL was nothing like his College offense outside of the up tempo. Time and time again he has spoken how he doesn't believe in designing QB runs. Bradford is his prototype, get rid of ball quick.
Kaep doesn't seem to fit with the offense her has run in the NFL. Kape was most dangerous in read option

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Actually, he didn't run the read option with Vick or with Foles. Not even close.
Kelly offense in the NFL was nothing like his College offense outside of the up tempo. Time and time again he has spoken how he doesn't believe in designing QB runs. Bradford is his prototype, get rid of ball quick.
Kaep doesn't seem to fit with the offense her has run in the NFL. Kape was most dangerous in read option

We'll see how true those words were now that he actually has a read option quarterback. Remember when Fisher said Bradford was our guy?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see how true those words were now that he actually has a read option quarterback. Remember when Fisher said Bradford was our guy?

He was his guy but he wasn't risking another season to injury. So he traded him for the worst qb in the history is the nfl.