49ers likely to cut Colin Kaepernick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't even think about polluting this thread with non-football comments!

giphy.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-jettison-kaepernick-for-football-reasons/

Report: 49ers likely to jettison Kaepernick, for football reasons
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 28, 2016

ap_162401917755671.jpg
AP

Colin Kaepernick has suddenly become the most controversial player in the NFL because of his refusal to stand for the national anthem. But there may be another issue that could cost him his job in San Francisco: He’s not a very good quarterback.

Jay Glazer said on FOX that the 49ers are deeply concerned with Kaepernick’s decline as a player, which started last season when he struggled before getting benched, then got even worse this offseason when he lost significant muscle mass when he couldn’t work out following multiple surgeries.

“Regardless of politics or not, he has a very, very big uphill battle to make this team,” Glazer said. “I’d be shocked if he’s on the 49ers by the time this season ends. It has nothing to do with political views whatsoever. He lost a ton of weight this offseason, had three surgeries, couldn’t work out, lost that double threat, that size-speed ratio. No political views, he just hasn’t been effective. He’s regressing as a player. I’d be shocked if he’s on this roster by the end of this year. He may not be on it in the next two weeks.”

Kaepernick’s contract guarantees him an $11.9 million salary this season, and ordinarily a player with an $11.9 million guaranteed salary isn’t going to get cut. But if the 49ers really think Kaepernick has regressed to the point where they’d be better off with Blaine Gabbert starting and Christian Ponder and Jeff Driskel backing Gabbert up, then they can save a little money by cutting Kaepernick and hoping he signs with another team, as they would be able to reduce that $11.9 million by the amount of Kaepernick’s salary with a new team.

So there are football reasons that the 49ers might want to get rid of Kaepernick. At this point, they probably wish they had done so before this weekend’s non-football controversy.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Would any other team touch krapondick? It appears his body has shrunk and his head has grown. He was never a good QB, just a threat to run the ball and the arm strength to throw deep, but not accurate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
He's struggled with injuries and hasn't been on the field, practice or game, much of late. When he has been out there he's not been good. Couple that with a large contract that's easy for the team to get out of that he wanted and the fact they have other healthier options this really isn't a surprise.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Chip Kelly was supposed to revitalize this dude's career.
If he can't make it in Chip's QB friendly, no need to think offense, he SHOULD be cut.
Regardless of his political views, the guy is just a shell of his former self.
I never liked him as a QB but even I can see that his play hasn't been good...definitely not starting QB good.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NFL unemployment line here soon.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Do we really deserve this kind of drama in the NFL? This won't be about football.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Makes one wonder whether Kapernick engineered this whole episode himself. I believe he's only received about $30.mil of his guaranteed $61.mil. jmo.

Last edited:

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I wonder if the Cowboys give him a shot--even with Prescott looking good.

Other than that--maybe the Jets?

Ram65

Legend
He’s not a very good quarterback.
Never liked him. Fisher figured him out. Keep him in the pocket with pressure.

Kaepernick’s contract guarantees him an $11.9 million salary this season, and ordinarily a player with an $11.9 million guaranteed salary isn’t going to get cut. But if the 49ers really think Kaepernick has regressed to the point where they’d be better off with Blaine Gabbert starting and Christian Ponder and Jeff Driskel backing Gabbert up, then they can save a little money by cutting Kaepernick and hoping he signs with another team, as they would be able to reduce that $11.9 million by the amount of Kaepernick’s salary with a new team.

Makes sense to do it now.

Chip Kelly was supposed to revitalize this dude's career.
If he can't make it in Chip's QB friendly, no need to think offense, he SHOULD be cut.

I was thinking he was Chip friendly too. If Chip can't help no one can!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
SporTrac :
2015 -
Colin Kaepernick signed a 6 year, $114,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $12,328,766 signing bonus, $61,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,000,000.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Makes one wonder whether Kapernick engineered this whole episode himself. I believe he's only received about $18.mil of his guaranteed $61.mil. jmo.

DING DING DING DING DING ... we have a winner!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
DING DING DING DING DING ... we have a winner!

It may be closer to $30.mil. received, but about $10mil of that (signing Bonus) is spread over the remaining 5 years of his contract, so while the guarantee is $61.mil, he may only be owed something nearer $31.mil. jmo.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It may be closer to $30.mil. received, but about $10mil of that (signing Bonus) is spread over the remaining 5 years of his contract, so while the guarantee is $61.mil, he may only be owed something nearer $31.mil. jmo.

Numbers aside, I think the cynical view that this was engineered given that Kap could be cut has some merit to it. It's not like he's doing anything else to help the oppressed he allegedly cares about so much.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I made the comment after the whiner's last super bowl appearance he is a flash in the pan. I watched him play a bunch on TV when he played for Nevada and I was never impressed. How embarrassing for the league, fox, espn, and other pundits claiming, he was going to be the next great qb in the league after basically one-half season in the NFL. The guy might be an athletic talent but he doesn't have what it takes to play in this league from a mental standpoint. Someone will take the chance to pick him up as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.