49ers' Jim Harbaugh a fan of Rams QB Austin Davis--ESPN.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not seeing any back-to-back 300 yard/3 TD performances...

He had back-to-back 300 yard performances and multiple 3 TD performances but no 300/3 games back-to-back.

Bradford had back-to-back 3 TD games last year but not enough yards.
Ah. I missed the "3 TD" caveat. That's my bad.

jap

Legend
But if that were true, why wasn't Davis the #2 qb all along?

A guy can show a lot of upside---meaning, he has shown the goods in practice/preseason yet not in a real game. However, that doesn't mean he will show up under the pressure of live regular season game. Austin Davis' current performance may just be his Game Day play finally catching up with his training camp/preseason balling. Coaches tend to be conservative and go with veteran guys who has already proven they can handle Game Day pressure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hate the 49ers but I tend to believe Harbaugh is a good coach.

He might step on the toes of players, but he's been a pretty consistent winner in his career.

And unlike Pete Carroll, he seems to have a sliver of integrity.

I'll say this, he does seem to know what he is doing.

But as far as being a good coach he is one of those than burn everyone out on him. If he tempered his personality and wasn't such an edgy douche he could end up being in the conversation as one of the best of this era. The problem it seems is that he's a dick to everyone and so won't ever have a long term future. He'll wear out his welcome too soon.

But he does know talent and he does know the game.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Poor Bulger. The best QB in the NFC West for years while playing with the worst offensive lines and taking a beating combined with bad coaching and still can't get any respect. "But, but, but he's not Warner!!"

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I would never trade a proven starter for a single draft choice. Way too many BUSTs in the draft.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I would never trade a proven starter for a single draft choice. Way too many BUSTs in the draft.
I wouldn't say Austin is proven yet... though he is well on the road to getting there, and I hope he does.

We have seen the guy play some seriously bad football before.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
No doubt some good praise for AD, probably thinking "I want this guy over Kaepernick... :huh:"
:snicker:

It's still soon, but if he keeps performing like he has, I'd take him over Kaep every day of the week......and TWICE on Sunday. :LOL:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We had a probowl QB after that, and a great prospect #1 overall pick that never got anyone to throw the ball to, but I guess those guys don't count.

Bulger wasn't voted into the pro bowl he was the coach's alternate selection which the coach is allowed to do because a couple of guys opted not to play

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Bulger wasn't voted into the pro bowl he was the coach's alternate selection which the coach is allowed to do because a couple of guys opted not to play
It wasn't the coach's alternate selection, it's where he finished in the voting.

But still, the voted in vs. injury replacement distinction is one I've never seen for any player except Bulger.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It happens.......... sometimes guys don't want to play due to the risk of injury or whatever.

I would have to look to be sure but I'm pretty much certain he was the coaches alternate selection

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We had a probowl QB after that, and a great prospect #1 overall pick that never got anyone to throw the ball to, but I guess those guys don't count.

Yeah, you're right; Bulger had a good year or two. But Bradford? For whatever reason, he didn't work out. I'd say Davis is far better QB prospect than either of those two. But time will tell.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Some weird comments in this thread. Davis is a "far better prospect" than Bulger and Bradford after 3 games?? Again, I love AD and would love to see him continue to progress throughout the season, but Bulger is the #2 passer in Rams history IIRC. Let's not go crazy here. If Davis has a game like Bradford did against this team last year, what will some of you be saying then? Hopefully you don't go too far overboard in the other direction, because this is a very good defense we are facing tonight. I won't get too high or low on Davis based on this game. Gotta judge him at the end of the season.

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute: Could it be that Harjaw is loving Davis' film because he sees a QB that isn't (yet) afraid to test a defense deep?? Would he not see that as an opportunity to take advantage of a young QB in his first Monday night game?? Far better than to pay lip service and to then gameplan accordingly than to provide bulletin board material. Harjaw knows this. Davis should pick his spots wisely against these guys. They will be waiting for the long ball. Need the WRs to step up big.

Alan

Legend
I don't think he's even close to as good as SB but I'd rather have him as our #2 instead of Hill if only because he's cheaper and has upside.