49ers' Jim Harbaugh a fan of Rams QB Austin Davis--ESPN.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
49ers' Jim Harbaugh a fan of Rams QB Austin Davis
By Paul Gutierrez | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...rs-jim-harbaugh-a-fan-of-rams-qb-austin-davis

St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis has an unlikely fan -- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.

Especially after Davis’ performance last week -- he threw for 375 yards and three TDs on 29-of-49 passing against the Philadelphia Eagles -- and despite the fact that Davis will be facing Harbaugh’s Niners on "Monday Night Football."

“He’d be coming into this game with a lot of confidence I’m sure,” said Harbaugh, himself a 14-year veteran NFL quarterback. “The ball game he played against the Eagles and the fact that he’s gotten better and better every single week, you can see it. It was one of the rare times where I’ve watched coaches’ tape and been excited about the game.”

Davis brought the Rams back from a 34-7 deficit and had St. Louis within 34-28 with more than four minutes to go before eventually falling by that score.

“To watch them come back, sparks were flying,” Harbaugh said. “This was a quarterback that was making throws, an offense that was making plays. And then the last drive, they had a chance to win the game and I’m like, ‘Maybe they got the score wrong. Maybe the Rams really won this game,’ because he made a couple of throws in that drive there that were right on the money and gave his team the chance to win.

“That was a very interesting game to watch on tape … he’s got a knack of throwing the ball in traffic. He can have guys hanging on him, around him, and he’s able to get the ball out at the last second.”

He also did not throw an interception.

“[Davis was] playing with no conscience about throwing the ball down the field and deep, so we’re going to have to do a good job defending the deep ball,” Harbaugh said.

Davis was undrafted coming out of Southern Mississippi in 2012 and had not appeared in an NFL game until this season. Injuries to starter Sam Bradford and backup Shaun Hill opened the door for third-stringer Davis.

And no, Harbaugh was not intrigued by Davis heading into the 2012 draft.

“I wish I would’ve been more aware of him,” Harbaugh said. “He looks like a real nice prospect.”

Then was Harbaugh aware of Davis at all?

“Not that much, no,” Harbaugh said. “I am now, though.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hate the 49ers but I tend to believe Harbaugh is a good coach.

He might step on the toes of players, but he's been a pretty consistent winner in his career.

And unlike Pete Carroll, he seems to have a sliver of integrity.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
No doubt some good praise for AD, probably thinking "I want this guy over Kaepernick... :huh:"
:snicker:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hate the 49ers but I tend to believe Harbaugh is a good coach.

He might step on the toes of players, but he's been a pretty consistent winner in his career.

And unlike Pete Carroll, he seems to have a sliver of integrity.

The fact that he started Ray McDonald shows otherwise. Fuck Harbaugh.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Harbaugh just wants to cozy up to the Rams in case Fisher gets fired. ;)

I'd take him as a DC. His defenses are awesome.

No doubt some good praise for AD, probably thinking "I want this guy over Kaepernick... :huh:"
:snicker:

That's what I was thinking lol

Hmm...according to Schottenheimer, he hasn't seen any improvements from Davis. o_O

What? He say something to warrant that?

V3

Hall of Fame
Harbaugh just wants to cozy up to the Rams in case Fisher gets fired. ;)

That's what I was thinking lol

What? He say something to warrant that?
In the post-practice transcripts the other day, Schotty said this...

"(On what improvements QB Austin Davis has made since his NFL debut in Week 1)
“Again, there hasn’t been a whole that I’ve noticed.""

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

“Again, there hasn’t been a whole that I’ve noticed.""

Yeah, I noticed he didn't give him much praise when Hill was rumored to get his job back.

Holy smokes, I just came to the conclusion that Fisher pulled rank and made Davis the starter! This was not a unanimous decision! Schotty wanted Hill. Wowww... I don't like that. Now Schotty's throwing discrete digs in the media? Now I know why Hill seemed more bummed than I expected. That don't like even that much trouble in paradise.

jjab360

Legend
Harbaugh is a douche, but he does have an eye for QB talent, if nothing else.

jjab360

Legend
Yeah, I noticed he didn't give him much praise when Hill was rumored to get his job back.

Holy smokes, I just came to the conclusion that Fisher pulled rank and made Davis the starter! This was not a unanimous decision! Schotty wanted Hill. Wowww... I don't like that. Now Schotty's throwing discrete digs in the media? Now I know why Hill seemed more bummed than I expected. That don't like even that much trouble in paradise.
You got that from that? Seriously? Without seeing the rest of the interview or hearing the connotation in his voice, it sounds more like one of those "He's played about as well as we expected" coach-speak quotes. Coaches never like to admit they were "surprised" by how well a player played for some reason.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
You got that from that? Seriously? Without seeing the rest of the interview or hearing the connotation in his voice, it sounds more like one of those "He's played about as well as we expected" coach-speak quotes. Coaches never like to admit they were "surprised" by how well a player played for some reason.
I agree, I think he's trying to say that we all expected Davis to be able to put back-to-back 300 yard 3 td games. Give the kid some confidence!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Written in stone, man. I'm convinced! ;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Davis continues as he has, I wouldn't trade him for a 1st, let alone a 3rd.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He has nothing to do with the defenses. That's Vic Fangio. Harbaugh is an offensive minded head coach.

“Again, there hasn’t been a whole [lot] that I’ve noticed.""

I have to agree with the others. I think you're going the wrong direction with this. Think Schotty was saying that Davis has been this good all along rather than him not getting better.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Just saw a tidbit about Davis being the first Rams QB to have back-to-back 300 yard/3 td games since...Kurt Warner. I would have bet money that Bulger did it at some point.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just saw a tidbit about Davis being the first Rams QB to have back-to-back 300 yard/3 td games since...Kurt Warner. I would have bet money that Bulger did it at some point.
Saw that earlier and questioned it myself. Haven't looked it up but although most analysts are dumbass's, they usually for the most part get the stats right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

moklerman

Warner-phile
Of course he did. All I had to do was pull up 2006 and there it was.

Back to back.
Then back to back to back.
Then back to back.

All in the same year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BulgMa00/gamelog/2006/
Not seeing any back-to-back 300 yard/3 TD performances...

He had back-to-back 300 yard performances and multiple 3 TD performances but no 300/3 games back-to-back.

Bradford had back-to-back 3 TD games last year but not enough yards.

V3

Hall of Fame
He has nothing to do with the defenses. That's Vic Fangio. Harbaugh is an offensive minded head coach.

I have to agree with the others. I think you're going the wrong direction with this. Think Schotty was saying that Davis has been this good all along rather than him not getting better.
But if that were true, why wasn't Davis the #2 qb all along?