49ers could tell what the routes were

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I used to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt but I'm done. He's going to ruin the career of an incredible running back because he's an absolute imbecile when it comes to offense.

It could go down that way, its happened before, and not all that long ago. Linehan & Spagnuolo pretty much ruined Steven Jackson's opportunity for post season play. He got his yards, even with pretty bad OL's, but other than drafting Bradford, SJ wasn't given anything else to work with on the offense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some nice gifs here and article showing how badly the 9ers were jumping our plays and the failure of the defense.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/9...film-room-review-week-one-san-francisco-49ers

I hate the line-up with Saffold at LG. Move him to RG where he played so well a couple seasons ago, and put Wichmann back at LG, he was never RG material anyway. Brown needs to go to the bench, or just sub in on rush plays. With the still partially slowed down RT Havenstein and the mess at RG, no wonder the right side of the line looked so awful.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, the question is, is the Rams pre snap formations so basic, is Kelly that good at figuring out an offense, or did they have spies at camp?
You mean Jim O'Neil. And yes, he probably is that good at figuring out an offense. The reason being, they had all year to study our tendencies and prepare for game one. The Rams, on the other hand, had absolutely no idea what Chip Kelly was gonna do with his offense, because there was nothing on tape. So if there's anyone to blame here, it's Boras for not changing a thing about what they did last year and making no adjustments once it became clear they were jumping our routes. Like @DR RAM and I had discussed, that offensive gameplan was the most boring, insipid, predictable, and uninspiring display of offense we had ever seen as fans. Even 2009 had more creativity than that bore-fest.

On another note, maybe the 49ers aren't as shitty as people think they *should be*. It took Harbaugh one off-season to correct what Singletary had created the previous 3 years, so why wouldn't Chip Kelly be able to make a similar turnaround? And yes, I do realize that's a glaring indictment of Jeff Fisher's inability to stake his claim and make his mark after 4 years.

Fucking Blaine Gabbert and Jeremy Kerley. SMFH. Still can't get over that.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Broken scheme is predictable...

Was an issue before the draft...

STILL AN ISSUE.

This is THE issue. I mean, if the defense KNOWS the routes, no QB is going to be successful throwing to covered receivers and no RB is going to be successful running through or around stacked boxes.

This is a dumpster fire until the scheme is fully and completely thrown out.

Anyone who thinks Jared Goff makes any difference to this issue really doesn't get the magnitude of this issue....

And I think ONE off-season with David Shaw or Jim Bob Cooter and we'd really see what we had in young Jared (which I think is a lot)

I would hire Jim Bob Cooter as Head Coach on the spot if given the chance. That is a guy who knows what he's doing when it comes to offenses. We could keep Greg Williams to coach the defense and let Cooter take care of the rest.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't surprise me one bit, if true.

Same. I was saying in the GDT and live chat that it was incredibly predictable. I make a habit of looking for repeated traits or "tells". You sometimes see offensive linemen sitting on their heels for example when they're going to drop into pass-pro - so I'm sure a team as well coached as they are would have been well on top of the route tree.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yep.

Fisher started off on the wrong foot with the Rams when he hired Schotty over Hue Jackson. We've been paying for it ever since.

And then he had a chance to interview guys like Gase or Koetter. You can't blame a guy for taking another job somewhere else as a HC - but still its pretty painful that we've never had an offensive mastermind.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Lul, Fisher surrounds himself with his buddies so they don't have to travel far for poker games, and this is what the fans get out of the Nepotism. Turd sandwich.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And then he had a chance to interview guys like Gase or Koetter. You can't blame a guy for taking another job somewhere else as a HC - but still its pretty painful that we've never had an offensive mastermind.

I really hope there's an alternate universe where Fish fell off his toilet and hit his head, resulting in the random thought of hiring Martz entering his mind much like Doc Brown and the flux capacitor. And if there is, I am sure Goff was more than ready to start the season, Gurley finished that whiner game with a couple passing TD receptions, and our offense hung at least 30 on the whiners to kick this thing off.

I'm serious. The differential between what we have now in gameplanning and offensive expertise and what Mike Martz could have given us is that profound. I'm sure right now Martz's attitude and primadonna nature would seem like a minor thing with this offense lighting up the scoreboard and our home opener looming this weekend.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They had the off season to game plan against it.
They watched hard knocks.
And lastly the Rams publicly state they want to make TA the focal point in the passing game so other teams keep a spy in TA's back pocket limiting him. And with the lack of time to throw and Keenum's noodle arm the the other receivers carn no longer be valid targets.

Focus success on Britt and the TE's and TA will be open all day.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Some nice gifs here and article showing how badly the 9ers were jumping our plays and the failure of the defense.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/9...film-room-review-week-one-san-francisco-49ers

That is just inexcusably bad. I could actually cut them a (very, very( tiny bit of slack on the passing game given Keenum's limitations, but they get no slack at all for the way they telegraphed the running game. They'd better fix this, because if this is what we are going to see for 15 more weeks, this team is going to be really bad.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If they even tried to do things a little differently it could pay dividends. Why not TRY and stretch the defense and create some room for Gurley? That way you use our best offensive weapon - instead of running him repeatedly into a brick wall. Like I said pre-season I worried about Gurley. We could get a guy off the street to run what we're doing with him now - a bellcow. Get Zac Stacy back. He's a sports car, not a pickup truck.

I mean that play in the second quarter I think it was - where they motioned the full back across and the ran Gurley through behind him into the "hole" - that Bowman read like a book - it doesn't take a pro-bowl linebacker to see that was the play. I was sat watching it going "this is going to get blown up" and I know nothing! If they ran play-action off of it - after getting the passing game going - then went back to that play it might work - but as it is, just running the same damn stuff over and over...it was like watching someone who didn't know football call a professional game.

For me the offensive "thinking" is just inside out. It is noticeable that our routes look nothing like any of the other teams when you watch on TV - you normally don't see all the receivers routes on other teams because they run out of the picture because the cameras on the QB - not so with the Rams - everythings inside the first down marker...

TexasRam

Legend
The mor
Jim Fassel fired his OC mid season and took the reigns himself.
He boldly moved all his chips to the center of the table, said playoffs or bust!!
Now its not like we have a Fassel on staff who would remember that.
Oh wait a minute....
Of course they made the playoffs, fired Fassel a year or two later and that OC that he fired? Yeah well they turned out to be Asshole Face....
Yes, I'm delirious right now

The lesson to be learned is a great QB like Brees can make even an inept OC like Sean Peyton a super bowl winning Genius.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The mor

The lesson to be learned is a great QB like Brees can make even an inept OC like Sean Peyton a super bowl winning Genius.
He did a great job in Dallas before New Orleans btw

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
49ers could tell what the routes were

Why can't our receivers do this?:rimshot:

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
How is our offense this bad in 2016? there are offensive genius's out there and we are throwing slants, come backs and fades. Other teams are running double and triple routes, that's why they get open and make big plays. Chip Kelly's offense has a lot less talent and they looked pretty damn good. I just don't know anymore ! I always supported our coaches but I cant take another year being the worst offense when we have 30 and 11 on the field.

I totally agree with everything you said except #11 hasn't done anything to help this offense in the preseason or game 1. He's dropping everything.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I totally agree with everything you said except #11 hasn't done anything to help this offense in the preseason or game 1. He's dropping everything.

I agree I love Tavon but he did not deserve number 1 receiver money, either he is incapable of learning routes or they are not having him run them. I cant remember the last time I seen him get open, which is ridiculous because Brandon cooks is his size and seems to be able to run any route on the tree.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I feel your pain. I've been following the Rams since the 80's and we've only had 4 good seasons. People make fun of the Browns but we're right there with them. Maybe worse.

You also bring up a good point. in 2016 offenses are flourishing because of all the rules the front office has set up to make the league more entertaining. It's mind boggling to say the least.

IMO the Rams ARE worse when we examine the last 30 years. Other than the lightning in a bottle from 99-01 (which that staff managed to fuck up) this team has been awful. The Browns never had a 5 year stretch that was the worst in the NFL like the Rams did.

Remember how fans of every team used to laugh at Lions fans..........that's about where Rams fans are now.