49ers could tell what the routes were

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm curious as to weather or not Jackson would have had his offense tampered with under Fisher.

That's a fair question.

My guess is that he hired Schotty over Jackson so that he wouldn't have to tamp down. I think he's risk averse to the extreme on offense, although the fact that such an approach is rapidly becoming the biggest risk to his continued employment hasn't dawned on him yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jim Fassel fired his OC mid season and took the reigns himself.
He boldly moved all his chips to the center of the table, said playoffs or bust!!
Now its not like we have a Fassel on staff who would remember that.
Oh wait a minute....
Of course they made the playoffs, fired Fassel a year or two later and that OC that he fired? Yeah well they turned out to be Asshole Face....
Yes, I'm delirious right now

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Fisher and Boras need to be fired. How can an offense with Todd Gurley, Tavon, and the #1 overall draft pick look completely inept and predictable? And this was week 1! This is when other teams have the least amount of footage on each other. I used to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt but I'm done. He's going to ruin the career of an incredible running back because he's an absolute imbecile when it comes to offense.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm curious as to weather or not Jackson would have had his offense tampered with under Fisher.
Indeed, I'm almost positive it's why Hue didn't come here. Fisher has his thumb print all over this Offense. I'm sure most self respecting OC's don't want the HC interfering with their craft

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The Niners reading the routes is a huge problem. The Niner D looked like it knew exactly what was coming. The Rams better figure out exactly how this happened, and stop it right now. It's the same result as the Patriots reading the signals.

The blandness and predictability of the offense in general is also a big problem-- we looked like we were playing a preseason game with no scheme--but these are not necessarily the same thing. Even with a limited passing attack the Rams need more creativity in terms of play calling, formations, and routes. This stuff about "you're good when they know what your running but can't stop it" is complete nonsense in my opinion. No offense can succeed without some degree of deception (the indirect approach, as a famous military historian called it) and some degree of boldness. It is always essential to keep the other side off balance (see Belichek and Chip Kelly for examples.) Especially for a team with such a limited passing game.

Maybe Goff can provide some of this with his ability to make quicker throws into narrow windows and to go downfield. Of course, getting hit in the hands with the ball may surprise our receivers as much as the D.

And maybe someone can explain to me why we are ever taking our best player, Gurley, off the field on third down? This is an automatic default to a pass. No offense to Benny, he's outstanding, but Gurley is a threat to run the ball even on third and 5 or 6, and he can certainly catch the ball. I thought they pulled him on thirds last year because he missed training camp passing reps, and they were overall limiting his downs. But why now? Surely this would help our third down conversion approach?

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Just a few weeks ago, myself and a few others were bashing the VANILLA offense and overall approach to the preseason games. "Its just preseason, they're gonna take the wraps off in the regular season." Same thing as the year before and the year before that. When are we going to learn?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just a few weeks ago, myself and a few others were bashing the VANILLA offense and overall approach to the preseason games. "Its just preseason, they're gonna take the wraps off in the regular season." Same thing as the year before and the year before that. When are we going to learn?

If by "we" you mean the head coach and offensive staff, there is a possibility they will get it once they are on the unemployment line, if they engage in a little honest self-reflection.

The rest of us paying attention seem to have already gotten it.

Athos

Legend
The Rams better figure out exactly how this happened, and stop it right now. It's the same result as the Patriots reading the signals.

Rams run like 3 routes. Screen, bubble screen, and a million yards behind the line screen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You could tell that they knew the plays because several times the play looked like it should have been a handoff to Gurley, because despite the fake, he had a clear hole with nobody fooled, moving toward him. Not one Niner would be frozen by the fake. They all moved right for the intended target.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, the question is, is the Rams pre snap formations so basic, is Kelly that good at figuring out an offense, or did they have spies at camp?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well first off part of our predictability is that Case cannot make every throw. Teams keep stats on opponents and what their tendencies are for down/distance not to mention formation and in that way I think the Rams probably fell right in line with what the 9ers expected, because the Rams figured they could go in there and dictate the run and dominate them.

Problem of course is that they weren't smart enough to adjust. Well, that and they don't have a QB who can adjust to a more pass-centric, comeback-from-two-TDs-down type of approach.

But beyond all that the Rams do have an OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL assistant in Barrett Trotter. Now I realize these guys do all manner of stuff from fetching coffee and gopher work, to ensuring opponents' tendencies are provided to the staff for awareness. A nice excerpt on this here from John Fox (taken from Mile High Report):

Denver Broncos Head Coach John Fox knows just what to do more with the data from his QC Coaches. In addition to being able to call up any game on video, he can pull up any statistic to match that play. "What you do is chart the tendency of that (opposing) coach, so that you can tell your team that 'in this situation it'll always be a run or always be a pass,'" says Fox. "So your team knows what to expect."

So my question here is do the Rams have anyone on staff whose responsibility it is to ensure their predictability is looked at from an outside perspective? I have always thought that falls to the OQC coach, but not sure the Rams have him doing that.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The play calling was very linear. This kind of style will not fly in the NFL. I saw it, it was 1 dimensional. How do you expect to get passed the LOS if the other team is honed onto the person about to make the play. And Keenum would be a crappy poker player his eye movement gave away everything. Quite sad.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vanilla is Fisher's favorite flavor.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Broken scheme is predictable...

Was an issue before the draft...

STILL AN ISSUE.

This is THE issue. I mean, if the defense KNOWS the routes, no QB is going to be successful throwing to covered receivers and no RB is going to be successful running through or around stacked boxes.

This is a dumpster fire until the scheme is fully and completely thrown out.

Anyone who thinks Jared Goff makes any difference to this issue really doesn't get the magnitude of this issue....

And I think ONE off-season with David Shaw or Jim Bob Cooter and we'd really see what we had in young Jared (which I think is a lot)

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Conspiracy theory:

WE HAVE A MOLE! Somebody's been leaking information!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Fisher and Boras need to be fired. How can an offense with Todd Gurley, Tavon, and the #1 overall draft pick look completely inept and predictable? And this was week 1! This is when other teams have the least amount of footage on each other. I used to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt but I'm done. He's going to ruin the career of an incredible running back because he's an absolute imbecile when it comes to offense.

Todd is going to be great but cant say it doesn't remind me of Steven Jackson. Jackson was supposed to lead our team to the playoffs and he was stuck in a horrible offense his whole career. The guy could of easily been a hall of famer but we never built a team around him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Todd is going to be great but cant say it doesn't remind me of Steven Jackson. Jackson was supposed to lead our team to the playoffs and he was stuck in a horrible offense his whole career. The guy could of easily been a hall of famer but we never built a team around him.

Actually, the offense was pretty good during Jackson's first few years, and they had a great year in 2006, Jackson included. After that though the team started to fall apart around him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Didn't we have this same issue last year?

Cracking the other teams playbook isn't a new thing - you look for tendencies and you gamble. Seattle saw Peyton's tendencies and turned it into a superbowl win.

Its not surprising to me at all that a professional coaching staff could watch the Rams and see from their pre snap movement what was coming. It means that the Rams don't do a good enough job running counters with the same looks.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Do we ever see our QBs audible out of a play at the line?? Not sure I remember seeing much of that if any. Are they discouraged from checking to another play if they see that the (crappy) play called by the (crappy) OC will not work against a particular defense??

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Broken scheme is predictable...

Was an issue before the draft...

STILL AN ISSUE.

This is THE issue. I mean, if the defense KNOWS the routes, no QB is going to be successful throwing to covered receivers and no RB is going to be successful running through or around stacked boxes.

This is a dumpster fire until the scheme is fully and completely thrown out.

Anyone who thinks Jared Goff makes any difference to this issue really doesn't get the magnitude of this issue....

And I think ONE off-season with David Shaw or Jim Bob Cooter and we'd really see what we had in young Jared (which I think is a lot)

Can you be our new coach? Seriously.