49ers before and after Garoppolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll admit that Garoppolo is my biggest fear. He's incredibly accurate and has a super fast release and handles pressure well. I'm super nervous for when he has some time to work within the system with a great coach. I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this, but I think he's possibly better than Goff and I'm not looking forward to playing against him upcoming years. Hopefully I'm way wrong. Prove me wrong... please!

He's three years older than Goff, and yet, Goff is still better than him right now. I'm not worried about Garoppolo. We have a #1 pick who just had one of the best sophomore QB seasons of all-time. The only thing Garoppolo has on Goff is a quicker release, and Goff is no slouch in that area.

I think Goff has far more potential. Jimmy fell to the second round in part because he doesn't have a strong arm. He'll kill you in the short passing game, but he struggles when you force him to throw down the field. He doesn't have the arm to drive the ball. He has to rely on touch and placement. His passes in the deeper ranges will flutter a bit. It doesn't give him a lot of margin for error. Goff has a lot more arm talent, and he's a more composed QB in the pocket.

I gotta disagree with that opinion on Goff. Regardless, I saw the same issues with him dealing with pressure in college. Jimmy felt phantom pressure in college. He saw ghosts in the pocket. Here's an example of it:
InsidiousInformalCorydorascatfish-size_restricted.gif

He has a clean pocket, but you see him visibly brace for a hit and then run himself into a sack. He wasn't under pressure. He could have stood in, waited, and found a man. That was an issue I noticed on his film. He struggled when you took his first few reads away and forced him to stand in the pocket and throw down the field.

Last edited:

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Some of you guys need to get off Galopagos( my name for him) jock. He faced 2nd and 3rd stringers. Can not wait for the #1 Rams defense to beat him into a Russel Wilson heap.
Its not like the Rams defense will not be that much better next year. Dont think Mcvay liked them throwing deep late on the Rams.
They will pay.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
He's three years older than Goff, and yet, Goff is still better than him right now. I'm not worried about Garoppolo. We have a #1 pick who just had one of the best sophomore QB seasons of all-time. The only thing Garoppolo has on Goff is a quicker release, and Goff is no slouch in that area.

I think Goff has far more potential. Jimmy fell to the second round in part because he doesn't have a strong arm. He'll kill you in the short passing game, but he struggles when you force him to throw down the field. He doesn't have the arm to drive the ball. He has to rely on touch and placement. His passes in the deeper ranges will flutter a bit. It doesn't give him a lot of margin for error. Goff has a lot more arm talent, and he's a more composed QB in the pocket.

I gotta disagree with that opinion on Goff. Regardless, I saw the same issues with him dealing with pressure in college. Jimmy felt phantom pressure in college. He saw ghosts in the pocket. Here's an example of it:
InsidiousInformalCorydorascatfish-size_restricted.gif

He has a clean pocket, but you see him visibly brace for a hit and then run himself into a sack. He wasn't under pressure. He could have stood in, waited, and found a man. That was an issue I noticed on his film. He struggled when you took his first few reads away and forced him to stand in the pocket and throw down the field.

jrry32,
I so hope you are correct, sir. I watched a lot of SF games with Garoppolo on the Red Zone and was duly impressed if not rather scared by what I saw. He looked cool, calm and collected. Plus he's extremely mobile and throws well on the run with excellent accuracy. I know that Jared has a ways to go to reach of all of his potential and all and what I'm getting from your astute analysis is that what we've seen from Jimmy G is pretty much what we'll be seeing in the future.
I can live with that.....especially if Mr. Goff continues to develop as he did this year and become an elite QB going forward.

~ArkyRamsFan~