49ers announce nine more coaching hires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
49ers announce nine more coaching hires

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/17/49ers-announce-nine-more-coaching-hires/

Posted by Zac Jackson on February 17, 2017, 6:07 PM EST
SAN FRANCISCO – DECEMBER 14: A San Francisco 49ers helmet sits on the field prior to their game against the Arizona Cardinals at Candlestick Park on December 14, 2009 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptkwodg3n2zjmgm2ogi3mtjhm2qzogq3otu5nze1nja4-e1400948168388.jpeg

The 49ers on Friday announced nine more coaching hires, most notably the hiring of Robert Saleh as defensive coordinator.

Richard Hightower was announced as special teams coordinator, and former NFL defensive lineman Jeff Zgonina was announced as defensive line coach.

Some of the announced hires had been previously reported. The team has not officially announced the hiring of an offensive line coach, though News 9 in Denver reported Friday that John Benton is expected to be the team’s offensive line coach. Last month he was announced as assistant offensive line coach with the Broncos.

Saleh was most recently the linebackers coach in Jacksonville for the last three seasons. Hightower was the assistant special teams coach with the Bears last season, while Zgonina joins the 49ers after serving as assistant defensive line coach last season with the Giants.

Former Raiders defensive coordinator Jason Tarver was announced as senior defensive assistant. He was with the 49ers the last two seasons in different roles under two different head coaches.

The team also announced Jeff Hafley as defensive backs coach, Johnny Holland as linebackers coach and Bobby Slowik as defensive quality control coach. Marquis Johnson and Dustin Perry have been named strength and conditioning assistants.
****************************************************************************************************
I know.I know. It's the 49er's. Who cares? Right?
But I wanted to post this only to say..........

Na Na Na Boo Boo
Stick your head in Doo Doo
We have a better staff than you.:neener:
Suck It Whiner's!!!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not only do I love the McVay hiring but getting him early allowed us to build a great staff around him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not only do I love the McVay hiring but getting him early allowed us to build a great staff around him.

You only have to look at the defensive coordinators as an example and taking nothing away from Robert Saleh who was the linebackers coach at Jacksonville, but I'm sure Robert Saleh hopes he can be a high profile top NFL defensive coordinator like maybe Wade Phillips? Well, the Rams have Wade Phillips.

Really sets up a great rivalry again with McVay vs. Shanahan, hopefully, the Miami of Ohio alum can be added to the school renown for being the cradle of coaches!

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/
Several members of the organization said Kyle Shanahan was a cause of internal strife, surrounding himself with young coaches with inferior experience, and allowing for no checks and balances of outside voices in the offensive coaching rooms.

“This is the NFL, it’s not supposed to be a training ground for coaches,” said someone who has worked with Kyle Shanahan in Washington. “It’s ridiculous. Look at this staff. It sucks. Mike’s best buddy is (longtime Shanahan assistant and current linebackers coach Bob Slowik), and Slowik’s son is in his second year out of college and he’s on the staff. Everyone on the staff is in his first or second year except for Mike and Kyle and Haslett (defensive coordinator Jim Haslett) and Raheem (Morris, the secondary coach), and everyone knows Raheem is there because he is close with Kyle. Those two go way back.

“Kyle’s not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It’s like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he’s got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that’s it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son’s buddies?

“What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?’ How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you’d expect on that staff?”

The Redskins have had a succession of first-time wide receivers coaches on this staff, and the offensive staff has generally been devoid of experience other than Turner. Most of the offensive staff had less than two years of NFL experience before coming to Washington and even in those cases the two years weren’t as actual position coaches, but as offensive assistants and low-level help.

Quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston and had only two years experience as an “offensive assistant” with the Texans prior to becoming the Redskins QB coach. Similarly, receivers coach Mike McDaniel was a lower-level assistant on the Texans staff before coming to Washington. Tight ends coach Sean McVay’s only prior NFL experience to joining Washington came in 2008 as an offensive assistant in Tampa.

“McVay is really the only one of those kids qualified to do what he’s doing,” said one member of the organization.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
“What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?’ How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you’d expect on that staff?”

Did the subject change to a different team here? Who is Mike? Thanks in advance.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did the subject change to a different team here? Who is Mike? Thanks in advance.....

The article was published after Mike Shanahan was fired from the Redskins. I posted it because Kyle's hires make it seem pretty darn accurate.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Can't wait to run up the score on them Whiners!!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good to keep tabs on the competition. Eff the 9ers!
You broke my heart Jeff Zgonina....you broke my heart...
I was gonna say that name looks familiar.

Kyle sounds JUST LIKE JEFF FISHER! Mike Shanahan will be proud!

It's funny cause Mike Shanahan was a good coach with Elway.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am so glad more and more each day that it was McVay we hired. I know I can be proven wrong with this possibly at some point in the future, but as of right now I truly believe we made the right and better choice.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Does anyone frequent a 9er board to see how they feel about the hires?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack