49er media declares Goff won't start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The terrible Bay Area, California media has long been guilty of turning 49ers fans into the least knowledgeable football fans so this article is no surprise, but it was enough to make me chuckle and post. Bad enough to twist his words into a misleading headline, but the "Kevin" Fisher puts it over the top...

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_30028156/jared-goff-wont-be-los-angeles-rams-starting
Jared Goff won't be Los Angeles Rams' starting quarterback
From Mercury News
POSTED: 06/17/2016 01:16:01 PM PDT | UPDATED: 101 MIN. AGO

Cal's Jared Goff was the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL draft, but he's not the No. 1 quarterback on his football team.

Los Angeles Rams coach Kevin Fisher said Goff's going to have to beat out Case Keenum.

"Case is our starter right now," Fisher said in response to a question about whether Goff will get first-team reps in training camp. "Case needs the first-team reps."

Fisher did indicate that Goff and Sean Mannion also would get opportunities to take snaps with the starters. And Fisher said Goff will eventually start.

"We'll start him when he's ready," Fisher said. "I didn't say that to imply that he was going to start the opener. I said, we have options. He can start anywhere from the opener to whenever, and we haven't changed our philosophy on that."

The Rams paid a huge price to get the No. 1 pick so they could draft Goff. They sent two No. 1 picks, and two picks each in the second and third rounds to the Tennessee Titans. Four of the picks were this year, and the Titans get an additional first- and third-round pick in the 2017 draft.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
We call that paper the Murky News. Newspapers in general are in deep trouble. Our Sacramento Bee has gotten so thin we now call it the Sacramento Brochure.

I wonder why they didn't quote Jeff Demoff?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What used to be an honorable profession....A Journalist
tumblr_inline_nuweq7QJtK1qb847a_500.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the story is different than the headline. Somebody else writes the headline, and it is supposed to be sensationalistic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Los Angeles Rams coach Kevin Fisher said Goff's going to have to beat out Case Keenum.
And that about sums it up. Nice effort stooge. Although I will say that unlike ESPN, at least this guy knows Sean Mannion exists.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
And that about sums it up. Nice effort stooge. Although I will say that unlike ESPN, at least this guy knows Sean Mannion exists.
Don't be too impressed, Stu. San Jose is about 10 miles from Pleasanton.....where Sean Mannion grew up.:rolleyes:

:rant:You mean we have "2" bay area quarterbacks?!!!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They're parlaying the INTs he threw in that last session, 5 overall I think. For press members to make a prediction now is idiotic, there's an ENTIRE camp to go through.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
These guys are taking Fisher's words out of context. Fisher speak should not always be taken at face value. When he says Keenum is still the starter he is trying to push Goff. "Nowhere near ready to start" is Wyche trying to be sensational.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some of Goffs struggles could be from lack of familiarity with his WRs. No need for the press to be making things out to be something they aren't.

…..

Legend
Tom Glavine lost 17 games as a rookie....yet they kept marching him out there with 34 starts.

Even though its baseball, worth noting that He's now in the Hall of Fame.

just sayin....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's so true, the profession has been destroyed by the "lowest common denominator" mentality that is our nation these days.

Keeping in mind that historically the press has often been much worse than now - the Hearst papers for instance and the Spanish-American war. Heck, it used to be common for major cities to have a Republican newspaper and a Democratic paper, slanting the news far more than all but the paranoid thinks happens now.

The big issue now imo is the 24 hour newscycle and the huge constant competition. Reporting the news without an interesting or controversial slant gets you ignored. Fact checking to be sure you're correct so you're second reporting the news gets you ignored. Report anything that one political side disagrees with, and a hundred bloggers and talk radio types immediately rail about how you're biased and wrong, without any facts to support their disagreement. Just give the facts in a sports story and headline, and you're soon unemployed, since people who care can just watch the video of the news conference or read the score in a hundred different places.