49er fan sues NFL for $50M over playoff tickets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
http://t.foxsports.msn.com/nfl/49er-fan-sues-nfl-for-dollar50m-over-playoff-tickets

RENO, Nev. (AP) John E. Williams III has been a San Francisco 49ers fan since John Brodie was throwing touchdown passes at Candlestick Park in the 1970s. So he was excited about the prospects of scoring a ticket to make the trip to Seattle in January to watch the rivals battle in the NFC Championship Game.
But the Las Vegas man says in a $50 million lawsuit against the NFL that his hopes were dashed by the league and others he accuses of engaging in ''economic discrimination'' with an illegal ticket policy limiting credit-card sales to selected pro-Seattle markets. His lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas says it was part of an effort to keep 49er fans away and further promote the Seahawks' boisterous home-field advantage at CenturyLink Field.

''They're always boasting up there about their 12th player and everything else,'' Williams told The Associated Press on Friday. ''But by allowing the NFL to decide who can or cannot attend the games, you make it an unfair game. Seattle fixed it.''

Williams, who works as a promoter in the entertainment industry, said that because the NFL relies heavily on public subsidies and money from taxpayers to build stadiums. it should not be allowed to deny ticket sales to individuals on the basis they are ''not from an area determined by the team - or the NFL - to be fan of that team.''

''`The practice of withholding the sale of tickets from the public at large and allowing only credit card holders limited to certain areas is a violation of the Federal Consumer Fraud Act and/or common law,'' according to the lawsuit filed April 15.

In the case of January's game, the Seahawks limited ticket sales only to credit cards with addresses in the states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii, as well as the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta.

As a result, he said, he suffered ''economic discrimination and violation of public accommodation solely'' because his credit card was not issued in the restrictive states or Canada - ''which is not even part of the United States.''

''This selected process is contrary to the spirit of the NFL and contrary to public accommodation,'' said Williams, who is seeking $10 million in punitive damages on top of $40 million in real damages.
Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of communications, said the league has no comment on the lawsuit.

Officials for California-based Ticketmaster, which is now part of Live Nation Entertainment Inc., and the Seattle Seahawks did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Williams said he had made up his mind that if San Francisco beat the Carolina Panthers in a semifinal game, he was going to buy tickets to the NFC title game in Seattle for himself, his roommate, a girlfriend who lives in Canada and her daughter.

San Francisco beat Carolina 23-10, then lost at Seattle 23-17.
''I live in Las Vegas, but I'm originally from San Francisco. I've seen John Brodie back in the day, and Joe Montana. I really wanted to go up there to see the Niners,'' Williams said. ''I think the tickets should be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, not based on who they want in the crowd.''

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This happens all over the league, not just in seattle. Does this guy think the whiners don't do the same thing? Dude needs to take off the rose colored glasses.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At first I thought this would be a bunch of whooey but it sounds like a legit gripe. I want some of this action too. I would have gone to that game if I had a credit card with an addressed deemed alright to by tickets.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
At first I thought this would be a bunch of whooey but it sounds like a legit gripe. I want some of this action too. I would have gone to that game if I had a credit card with an addressed deemed alright to by tickets.

If legit, this opens a huge issue around the entire league. Either way, I can't get included in the lawsuit since I live in one of the states the seachickens included in the ticket sales. Damn!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has a legitimate argument IMO...but he doesn't have the money or lawyers to win a suit like this against the nfl

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There is legitimacy to the argument... but he'd be lucky to get $50 out of this. $50 million is laughable.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I hope he gets his money, because he's right. Unfortunately it won't happen.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
So, his girlfriend is from Canada, right? Why couldn't she have purchased the tickets? He could then repay her and still attend the game.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So, his girlfriend is from Canada, right? Why couldn't she have purchased the tickets? He could then repay her and still attend the game.
But then he wouldn't get money... I mean, it's the principle!

I do feel the guy has a point, but the supposed damages are so ludicrously high that it might actually hurt his case. I think his lawyer is aiming for a settlement and thinks starting high will help him get a higher settlement.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
$40M in real damages? Did he lose both tear ducts permanently by incessantly crying over this?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He has a legitimate argument IMO...but he doesn't have the money or lawyers to win a suit like this against the nfl

Plaintiff lawyers tend to take a cut of the winnings rather than work an hourly wage. So the problem would be finding someone who thinks they could win this case. It would be a nice payday for the law firm.