4 - Steve Walsh days until the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Okay, I'm going to jump the gun a little bit here. I hope no one minds. I was going to go with Steve Fuller. The Rams acquired him from the Chiefs back in the '80's to compete with Jeff Kemp and Vince Ferragamo who were both struggling and having poor preseasons. He wound up never starting a game for the Rams though so I couldn't find a picture of him in a Rams uniform.

So, I decided Steve Walsh was the next best choice. He was terrible for the Rams and pretty much exemplified what it was like for St. Louis fans when they were introduced to the Rams in '95. But I had to post about Walsh because of the couple of little tidbits I found out about him while looking for his picture.

First of all, the Cowboys really knew how to do trades back in the day and in 1990, 3 games into the season(!), they traded Walsh to the Saints for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. I mean, Holy Guacamole! How desperate or bad or both were the Saints to give that much for Walsh?

Second, the Rams chose Walsh and passed on Beurlein, Cunningham and Klinger to replace the marble-rattled Chris Miller. And this was well after Walsh had been playing for Dallas, New Orleans and Chicago. Seriously, I'd have taken a shot with Klinger and especially Beurlein or Cunningham as opposed to Walsh.
110314724-heashot-of-st-louis-rams-quarterback-steve-gettyimages.jpg

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What? No Greg the Leg? :(
My goal wasn't to post EVERY #4 for the Rams, just the one's that pop into my head. You're welcome to bring Legatron(my favorite of his nicknames) into the thread. Which you already did. So yes, there is Greg Zeurlein.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Walsh popped into your head? Oooof.
You have to remember, I'm a child of the Georgia owned Rams. My first year following them was the year AFTER they almost beat the Steelers. 1980-1998 were chock full of SOSAR, a move to St. Louis and many low points. It's sort of been imprinted on my DNA.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind. Sorry, wrong Steve Walsh:)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Walsh was pre-St Lou right? Wasn't Chris concussion Miller the first QB in St Louis?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Walsh was pre-St Lou right? Wasn't Chris concussion Miller the first QB in St Louis?
Nope. 1996.

EDIT: I mean, nope not pre-St. Louis. Miller was the first St. Louis Rams QB.

moklerman

Warner-phile
So it was Miller in '95 and Walsh in '96.
Yeah, such as it is. Walsh started the first 3 games and threw 0 TD's and 5 INT's so they were forced to start Banks. They were "forced" to start Banks. Let that sink in for a minute.

Miller was good when healthy but in addition to chronic knee problems, his brains weren't only scrambled, they were running out of his ears and down his neck by the time he played behind the awful Rams o-lines for a couple of years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, such as it is. Walsh started the first 3 games and threw 0 TD's and 5 INT's so they were forced to start Banks. They were "forced" to start Banks. Let that sink in for a minute.

Miller was good when healthy but in addition to chronic knee problems, his brains weren't only scrambled, they were running out of his ears and down his neck by the time he played behind the awful Rams o-lines for a couple of years.
Oh i think remember Banks' first snap. IIRC it was in Candlestick Park...backed up deep inside our 20 yrd line. NICE.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Oh i think remember Banks' first snap. IIRC it was in Candlestick Park...backed up deep inside our 20 yrd line. NICE.
Yeah, I was so desperate for them to get rid of Walsh I deluded myself into thinking this kid I hadn't heard of from Michigan St. might just be alright...

But, by 1997(and even more so, 1998) as much as I was ready to lead the pitchfork parade to get Banks out of town, he threw the prettiest damn long ball. There are still some rainbows to Bruce that I recall that take my breath away.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yeah, I was so desperate for them to get rid of Walsh I deluded myself into thinking this kid I hadn't heard of from Michigan St. might just be alright...

But, by 1997(and even more so, 1998) as much as I was ready to lead the pitchfork parade to get Banks out of town, he threw the prettiest damn long ball. There are still some rainbows to Bruce that I recall that take my breath away.
God I hated Tony Banks!! I could stand him... his horrible lowlight reel is amazingly bad. Losing the ball mishandleling, loooking like he just threw the ball so he didn't get hit. Hated him. Honestly I had only been a Rams fan for 6-8 years starting in 1989 and was thinking about moving on with TOny Banks giving me the idea. Glad I never did!