4 players who could make or break Rams' season in 2nd half

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cameron DaSilva
10 hours ago

gettyimages-1177247695.jpg

(Photo by Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)

Football is the ultimate team sport, but as is often the case, a few players have the ability to make or break a season. The Los Angeles Rams have their work cut out for them in the second half of the 2019 season, likely needing to win at least five or six of their final eight games to make the playoffs.

They have one of the most talented rosters in the league, even with a recent rash of injuries and trades, which makes them a legitimate contender in the NFC. These four players will play a major role in the final eight games, potentially determining how far Los Angeles goes.

Jared Goff
usatsi_13579242.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Goff was just OK in the first half of the season despite leading the NFL in passing yards before the Rams’ bye week. He made some spectacular throws, but he also made some maddeningly careless ones that certainly bared questioning. His seven interceptions and six fumbles are most concerning as he’s once again straddling the line of being turnover-prone.

The Rams won’t make a deep run or even reach the postseason if Goff can’t take care of the football in the final eight games. Interceptions are to be expected, but throwing seven in a five-game stretch as he did to begin the year is not going to get the job done.
The offense is more on Goff’s shoulders this season than it was a year ago now that Todd Gurley isn’t a workhorse at running back. His play will determine whether the Rams end their season in December or 2020.

Interior O-line trio

gettyimages-1183820970.jpg

(Photo by Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

This is technically three players, but we’re grouping them into one. Brian Allen and Austin Blythe have been the weakest links on the offensive line this year, leading many fans to call for a switch at either guard or center. David Edwards has been an unexpected upgrade over Joseph Noteboom at left guard, but he’s only played two games and has plenty of developing still to do.

If Edwards, Allen and Blythe can’t put together a good second half of the season, this offense is going to struggle. Goff isn’t going to get enough time in the pocket, big plays down the field won’t be able to develop, and the running backs will continue to have trouble finding running room up the middle.

The offensive line as a whole has really held the Rams back this year but that can’t be the case in the final eight games. This offense is built upon play-action passes and long-developing plays, which can’t happen if Goff has 2 seconds to read the field.

Troy Hill

usatsi_13579249.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Here we are in Week 10, calling Hill a player who could make or break the Rams’ season. Raise your hand if you saw this coming.

Jalen Ramsey and Hill have taken over as the starters at cornerback, replacing Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters – both of whom were traded by the Rams. There’s no doubt Ramsey will have a major impact on the defense, as he already has, but Hill is the greater boom-or-bust player for Los Angeles. The Rams know what they’re going to get from Ramsey on a week-to-week basis. The same can’t be said about Hill.

If Hill plays the way he has since replacing Talib, the Rams secondary is going to be a strength of the defense. He was excellent against the Bengals, allowing just three catches on 11 targets in London. However, as we’ve seen countless times before, he can regress quickly and display troubling inconsistency.

The Rams need him to play at a high level in the final eight games, preventing teams from having a cornerback to pick with Ramsey locking down the other side of the field. It’s been a small sample size this season, but Hill has starting-quality traits that can make a major impact in 2019.

Dante Fowler Jr.

usatsi_13546525.jpg

Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

Fowler has 4.5 sacks in his last two games, really taking his game to another level for the Rams. He’s finally taking advantage of playing on the same defensive front as Aaron Donald, winning one-on-one matchups outside. That makes a huge difference for the Rams defense, and makes Donald’s presence that much more valuable.

Fowler is a streaky player and can go weeks without any sacks, but he seems to have turned a corner this year. His impact against the run has been felt, too, stepping up and setting the edge from his outside linebacker position.

Fowler is the Rams’ most reliable pass rusher not named Aaron Donald. That has to remain the case in the second half of the season, even with Clay Matthews back in the fold this week. Matthews’ six sacks are far more the result of Donald eating up blocks than Fowler’s 6.5 are.

Pressuring quarterbacks is arguably the most important aspect of a defense, and the Rams have done a good job of that this season. Fowler needs to make sure that remains the case in the last eight games.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fowler has always been winning match-ups. he just couldn't get to the qb in time before the ball was out.

enter jalen ramsey and troy hill. hello 4 and a half sacks in two games.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spot on with the interior OL, but add in Havenstien. His play has dropped off and he's made more penalties than last year. He's been sloppy.

Teams know the Rams can't run the ball up the middle, so they can lay off and lean to the edges. It's why Gurley can't get going.

Rams have had 2 weeks off and if Blythe and Allen are still stuggling, it might be time to try some of the new guys off the bench. Shelton, Corbett and Evans should get a look.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I've been clinging to the hope that there will be a OL change or two after the bye and that everything will starting working again but my gut tells me that we'll see the same thing that we've been seeing. We'll be going nowhere fast if that's the case.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Everyone questions the interior OL and for good reason. Unless McVay/Komer are sure one or two off the bench replacing Blythe and/or Allen is the right move and won't put us in a bag position I will go with their analysis. Otherwise the safest thing to do is to modify the Offense slightly with more designed roll outs, deeper drops or shot gun.
Lastly the easiest modification is keep a RB and /or a TE in on longer developing routes to pick the extra blocking slack as well help on the longer developing routes from the passing part of our game.

Unfortunately from a run perspective if the interior OL is weak there is very little we can do it is a man on man you got to beat your man. The only change that could help us adding a fullback component to the equation.

By changing the Offense to accommodate a weakness we lose other things - less 11 personnel, need for shorter routes, less wrs flooding the pattern which was a big part of our success the last 2 years. Because the OL held up so we'll McVays 11 personnel was brilliant. You never knew if we were running or passing which brought the LBs closer to the LOS opening up bigger holes in the zone as well as with 5 in the pattern (which included a rb) McVay"s theory is there are 5 great dbs/lbs to cover all these guys and 1 or more will be open all Goff had to do is find him. Now by keeping a TE and/or a rb in that means the defense has 1 or 2 less to cover.

To me overall the defense must step up and pull more of the weight and let the offense do their job just not at a 33 ppg clip like the past.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Matthews’ six sacks are far more the result of Donald eating up blocks than Fowler’s 6.5 are.
But has Samson (zero sacks in 8 games) Ebukam taken advantage of Aaron Donald.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Rams have had 2 weeks off and if Blythe and Allen are still stuggling, it might be time to try some of the new guys off the bench. Shelton, Corbett and Evans should get a look.
I think Brian Allen-(gaining on the job experience) and Blythe (healthy ankle, your mobility depends on them) O-Line becomes a cohesive-solid unit.

fearsomefour

Legend
But has Samson (zero sacks in 8 games) Ebukam taken advantage of Aaron Donald.
He is a limited player.
I like him but he is a “straight line” player. He has great speed and can’t change direction it seems.
I think he is a depth guy at OLB only.
A solid depth guy but a depth guy.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Blythe is the biggest question mark on the Oline at this point. He started out so well in his career as one of the better blockers at guard then it all fell apart. I think defenses started keying in on his smaller size and started gap blitzing him and we all know the story from there on. I think we need a bigger stronger body at RG. I've seen him get turned around all too often and it's really been out biggest issue since then. He's also missing assignments which is huge in our Zone blocking scheme. As Merlin has pointed out multiple times on his weekly Oline post we can all see Blythe is the biggest offender when it comes to misses. I'm not totally sure if he's 100% healthy from his ankle injury but at this point in the season, who is? I'll be keeping a close eye on him the next game, I think if he continues to struggle like he has been he will be replaced after this game. I don't expect McVay to stand by and watch his team drown because someone is getting the job done.

Troy Hill is also a big ??? He's looked pretty good the last couple of weeks. He looked a little turned around a couple of times against the Cincinnati but he settled in and made a couple of outstanding plays. I think with more playing time he'll get better I just hope he's up to the challenge. If he continues to play well that will help out our Dline in the pass and run game.

I'm not worried about Goff. If you give him a little time he will shred you up. He just needs to get off his first read at times, he gets a little locked in on his WR's that he wants to hit and sometimes that cost us turnovers. I expect McVay had some discussions about that after the Bengals game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The OL issue is not limited to just one player it's the combo of Blythe & Allen together that's the issue. Kromer most likely knows he has several future better OL'ers who can play the RG post in the run game much better than Blythe but those Ol'ers are not capable of giving the assistance to first year starting center Brian Allen making line calls & the brainier elements mandated by the way Kromer sets up prepares his OL overall before the snap of the ball.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Some things I think can help make up for an inconsistent interior offensive line:
1. more designed rollout pass plays away from the interior pressure
2. more pitchout running plays also away from the interior pressure
3. more quick slant passes and bubble screens before interior pressure gets to Goff