4 Day camp report by OCRamRef68...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is a composite camp report after he watched 4 practices through 8/2.

Here's OCRamRef68...

I live in the OC, so I'm going to try and make as many practices as possible. I went to 10 last year. Bummed I won't be there this weekend, I have a mini vacation planned. I will be back for Monday's practice and Wednesday's Scrimmage. Here are a few random observations:

Practices have a much different pace. Players hustle in and out of drills. Very little wasted time. They are shorter than last years as well.

Goff looks better. More confident. He's been a little inconsistent. He's missed some throws, but made his fair share of plays as well. Good today in the Hurry up. They put .50 seconds on the clock to simulate an end of half/game scenario. He was 4-4 and hit R. Woods for about 20 yards on the last play which would've put them in FG range. I like what I see. Still a work in progress.

Tight ends will defintely be a big part of the offense. Plenty of 12 personnel. As reported, Goff developing a rapport with both of them. Everett is really athletic. Looks like they are going to try and get him the ball in space and let him make plays.

Austin was participating in Running Back drills yesterday taking handoffs and pitches from the QB's. Could he be used as a RB in certain situations, especially with Dunbar's injury status? Thought that was interesting. I think they're going to find different ways to get him the ball.

Defense is way ahead of the offense at this point. The secondary has been really impressive!! I agree with Wade about our secondary being better than most people think. Tru has been great, Joyner is totally prospering from his new role, Webster looks to be solid, and Robey-Coleman has been all over the field making plays.

Ebukam has a burst. Can't wait to see him in game action.

Gurley's going to be used in the passing game. Caught a long pass yesterday and caught a TD from Goff today in a red zone drill. I like what I see from him. As reported, he's in great shape and looks to have that explosiveness back.

Kupp is the real deal. Great route runner with great hands. Doesn't have 4.4 speed but makes up for it with his precise routes. He's going to be a dependable target for Goff.

Whitworth may be the largest man I've seen in person.

Hard to Judge the offensive line. Only 2 padded practices, not a lot of one on one drills in pads.

Haven't seen a lot from Josh Reynolds. I had to ask my son after we got home if he practiced today.

Spruce and P. Cooper getting plenty of reps bouncing back and forth between the 1's and 2's

Don't tell Eric Dickerson, but Mannion's been very average. Strong arm but hasn't been very accurate.

Josh Forrest could have a tough time making this team. Consistently running with the 3rd team.

Hager stayed after practice and was working as a long snapper.

Troy Hill has had a good camp so far IMO.

M. Thomas was in shorts running sprints on his own today. Not sure what the deal with him is. I asked JB Long about it and he said he was "injured".

That's all I can remember for now. If anyone has a question, I'd be happy to answer it.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Great report.
What else is there to talk about? It would suck w/o the efforts of people like you who go to camp and then share their eyewitness accounts. Bravo!

Forrest is in trouble? What about Littleton? He was pretty good on STs last year and finished for Forrest at LB. Did you happen to notice him out there?
Who's getting reps returning KOs?
Great to hear yet another person gush about Kupp.

Thanks again.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The surprising part for me, was the Josh Forrest comment. I would assume that means, our new rookies are ahead of him?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is a composite camp report after he watched 4 practices through 8/2.

Here's OCRamRef68...

I live in the OC, so I'm going to try and make as many practices as possible. I went to 10 last year. Bummed I won't be there this weekend, I have a mini vacation planned. I will be back for Monday's practice and Wednesday's Scrimmage. Here are a few random observations:

Practices have a much different pace. Players hustle in and out of drills. Very little wasted time. They are shorter than last years as well.

Goff looks better. More confident. He's been a little inconsistent. He's missed some throws, but made his fair share of plays as well. Good today in the Hurry up. They put .50 seconds on the clock to simulate an end of half/game scenario. He was 4-4 and hit R. Woods for about 20 yards on the last play which would've put them in FG range. I like what I see. Still a work in progress.

Tight ends will defintely be a big part of the offense. Plenty of 12 personnel. As reported, Goff developing a rapport with both of them. Everett is really athletic. Looks like they are going to try and get him the ball in space and let him make plays.

Austin was participating in Running Back drills yesterday taking handoffs and pitches from the QB's. Could he be used as a RB in certain situations, especially with Dunbar's injury status? Thought that was interesting. I think they're going to find different ways to get him the ball.

Defense is way ahead of the offense at this point. The secondary has been really impressive!! I agree with Wade about our secondary being better than most people think. Tru has been great, Joyner is totally prospering from his new role, Webster looks to be solid, and Robey-Coleman has been all over the field making plays.

Gurley's going to be used in the passing game. Caught a long pass yesterday and caught a TD from Goff today in a red zone drill. I like what I see from him. As reported, he's in great shape and looks to have that explosiveness back.

Kupp is the real deal. Great route runner with great hands. Doesn't have 4.4 speed but makes up for it with his precise routes. He's going to be a dependable target for Goff.

Whitworth may be the largest man I've seen in person.

Hard to Judge the offensive line. Only 2 padded practices, not a lot of one on one drills in pads.

Haven't seen a lot from Josh Reynolds. I had to ask my son after we got home if he practiced today.

Spruce and P. Cooper getting plenty of reps bouncing back and forth between the 1's and 2's

Don't tell Eric Dickerson, but Mannion's been very average. Strong arm but hasn't been very accurate.

Josh Forrest could have a tough time making this team. Consistently running with the 3rd team.

M. Thomas was in shorts running sprints on his own today. Not sure what the deal with him is. I asked JB Long about it and he said he was "injured".

That's all I can remember for now. If anyone has a question, I'd be happy to answer it.
Great report from OCRamRef68, Keep-um coming, like his style of writing!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The surprising part for me, was the Josh Forrest comment. I would assume that means, our new rookies are ahead of him?
It will be interesting to see who Phillips / McVay decide to keep!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have always thought this. Will be interesting how the Hemingway vs Harkey battle ends up. Hemingway is still PS eligible, Harkey is not. Talent level @ WR vs TE this yr WR wins. Thus we may only see 3 TE's on this roster.
(y):yess: Utilizing TA in backfield will give D's issues. It also ups the speed factor with Gurley/Brown/Rogers/Dunbar cadre.
Joyner is totally prospering from his new role, Webster looks to be solid, and Robey-Coleman has been all over the field making plays.
I think most of us knew LJ has not been playing the last 3 yrs @ his best NFL position. I been begging for this change for a long time.
Serious need for him to burst upon the NFL fast due to Barwin UFA status when season ends & Quinn's injury history & high cost salary with AD demanding most of it in 2018.
You know Goff is sleeping so much better now with this addition along with Woods.
Guess they are working @ the Slot position? Anyone?
Coming off IR & late 2016 knee injury. Was a natural standard 43 D strong side Lb'er...that post does not exist any longer with Rams. What position is Wade working Josh @? inside or outside? Anyone? Best fit IMO is Inside Strong side LB'er behind Ogletree.
Smart move for a reserve LB'er playing behind Tree & Barron.
News like this will make me sleep better due to my concerns :notsure:with outside CB's talent.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Is @OCRamRef68 a ROD member?
Excellent stuff 43, thanx!

He didn't appear to be a physical player in 2016...I like Hagar and Littleton a lot better as ILB's.
I thought Forrest was playing real well until he got hurt last year. Am I confused?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Am I confused?
Possibly....LOL

Check out how Littleton runs to the ball...Compare Hagar....a very fast player.....I don't see Forrest in that same light. Plus, I'd also put Cassanova McKinzy in at ILB too....very good run defender in college...that's 3 guys I'd put in the game b4 Forrest....based on his play...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Austin's best game in college came when they used him heavily out of the backfield (against Oklahoma. Something like 500+ all purpose yards). He was recruited out of high school as a running back, but due to his size converted to wide receiver.

I love getting him the ball out of the backfield. Doesn't he average like 5 yards a carry over his career?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just an FYI, fellas...

The OP is OCRamRef68 and he is from another board, not a ROD member, IOW.

But I liked his style and his report and wanted to share with y'all.

For the record, I've been known to share posts, especially camp reports, from ROD members with that other board. Again, because I think they're damned good and know that Ram fans over there would love to read them

And trust me, they DO! Some of you are semi famous over there, I think. Lol.

Just think of me as a honeybee. Constantly cross pollinating.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Just an FYI, fellas...

For the record, I've been known to share posts, especially camp reports, from ROD members with that other board. Again, because I think they're damned good and know that Ram fans over there would love to read them

Invite him on over.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just an FYI, fellas...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH29RLi6IQ

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Possibly....LOL

Check out how Littleton runs to the ball...Compare Hagar....a very fast player.....I don't see Forrest in that same light. Plus, I'd also put Cassanova McKinzy in at ILB too....very good run defender in college...that's 3 guys I'd put in the game b4 Forrest....based on his play...
Nice scouting report Champ.