3rd QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At this point, do you keep a 3rd QB (probably Gilbert) on the roster, or do you try to slip him through to the practice squad?

Keeping him means your developmental guy stays guaranteed a Ram.

Squadding him means you can keep an extra CB (Roberson? Reid? Jarrid Bryant?) or DL (Sam? Westbrooks?)

I vote the latter; I feel that our DL prospects will be harder to get through to the PS, and having an extra guy who can cover kicks/punts is more valuable this season.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Agreed @DCH . If we ever get to QB3 the season is pretty much shot anyway and I don't know (I'm sure the coaching staff may however) if Gilbert is worthy of that "developmental" role just yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They'll probably only carry two QBs, but it's a risk trying to get Gilbert to clear waivers. He hasn't exactly murdered it out there, so the chances are decent that he'd make it through. They'll probably cut Davis outright and sign him later (again) if need be. That's a tough one, because I would hope they don't want to lose Gilbert.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Tough one but my votes for 3QB's Gilbert is gonna be a good backup in this league for a long time

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any end of the roster guy is somebody who is not really likely to help this season, QB or not - he's somebody who you want to develop further. IF they think Gilbert has a real chance to develop, then I'd hope they'd keep him on the 53 - the team found out last season it's hard to find a real 3rd QB after the season begins after all. And I don't want Gilbert to go to the 9ers, with their QB situation.

What if SB has a nagging injury, one where he needs a week without playing? I'd want a real QB who knows the team's system to be available to back up Hill in that case, rather than a hack that no team had wanted - and certainly would want Gilbert far more than Davis.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They'll probably only carry two QBs, but it's a risk trying to get Gilbert to clear waivers. He hasn't exactly murdered it out there, so the chances are decent that he'd make it through. They'll probably cut Davis outright and sign him later (again) if need be. That's a tough one, because I would hope they don't want to lose Gilbert.
Any thoughts as to % chance Gilbert makes it through waivers to the PS?

Me (pulling numbers out of my arse): 70% Gilbert makes it through, 20% Sam makes it, 0% Westbrooks makes it, maybe 50% on Roberson, 65-70% on Reid

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Just a guess, but I have seen teams do this. Gilbert will get Baileys roster spot more or less for the first 4 games. Then when Bailey is activated they will cut Gilbert. They do this on a saturday and if unclaimed he's resigned to PS on tuesday.
Gilbert has shown a little something in the preseason, but I don't think it's enough for another team to make a roster spot for him a quarter way through the season and keep him there considering he wouldn't know the playbook and be able to get very few practice reps.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We have a lot of tough choices but I think it's clear that our secondary could use the most reinforcement this season. After Jenkins and Johnson, it's a shaky, unproven, young bunch. I vote to keep Roberson or Reid to bolster the pass defense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd take my chances leaving him (Gilbert) for the PS. Keep Westbrooks and Sam since I don't think either will clear.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm going to go with Gilbert. He has the arm to be a franchise QB. It will take him some time to develop but I think he could become at least a serviceable qb.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think you look at it from a worst case scenario viewpoint - none of them (Roberson, Westbrooks, Sam, Gilbert - add whoever you want) are going to clear waivers - so who do you really want more?

I agree with BigRamFan and X - if you have to play him (or even suit up a no 3) you're screwed anyway - and another good thing is we can cut Austin Davis and probably resign him again later. No one picked him up last time. Gilbert would be claimed off waivers I believe because he looks like he's going to be good enough to develop as a good backup in this league and they are in short supply.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So far I've 9 lyrics seen two qbs worth keeping on the 53.
Gilbert needs time. I think he would be safe on the practice squad.
The biggest thing to remember, is that teams that take practice squad players must place them on there 53.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Honestly if they feel Gilbert will pass waivers, put him on the PS. We have Hekker able to be the emergency 3rd QB if needed, which I don't see happening. However I wouldn't be shocked if they kept 3.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ultimately it will matter how he looks the last two preseason games. If he looks good, he'll need to be kept on the roster or some team will pick him up. Many teams are always looking for a promising young QB.

If he sucks in the games, then he should be able to make it onto the practice squad. Keep in mind that he does not have to sign with the Rams, though - if another team wants him on their squad, he does have that option.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
With Bradford's injury history, I don't see us only keeping two QBs. But if we did have to play a rookie QB, it's season over.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Bradford's injury history, I don't see us only keeping two QBs. But if we did have to play a rookie QB, it's season over.

If he started a large number of games, yes. If he has to come in because the starter is banged up, and manage the team to maintain a lead, for instance - he could be saving the season. And as raw as he is - he does have a nice arm, and is learning the Ram's system - and will know it better as the season goes along. Whereas the crappy vets likely to be available if need be would not know the system and likely would not have a very good arm.

I just think after last season the Rams are not going to want to keep only two QBs as you said. And IF Gilbert performs decently in the last two games it would be risky to expose him to waivers. Remember, Gilbert was a top recruit. He failed initially in college - but frankly that program wasn't developing anybody at that point. Then he went elsewhere with a QB expert and looked better and better as the year went along. Now enough questions about whether he can go to the next level are being answered that QB hungry teams would likely love the chance to snag him. After all, the Rams already took the risk with him, and he looks promising.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Remember, if...they do try and stash him on the practice squad, someone can grab him off waivers but they have to keep him on the main roster and I just do not see where he's shown that this year, he can bring that much to the dance. And just in case he's signed off the practice squad.....a team will have to keep them on their active roster for 3 weeks. I think he sits this year unless there is an injury.......
There is too many players that will be right on the edge as is. (Westbrooks/ Sams, extra OLine depth, Reid/Robertson/Bryant, T. J. Moe/ Velung for slot/returner, Cunningham/Bayer....) There's just too many guys who are here w/ us now that can help.......And a rook QB who hasn't played that good......shouldn't be prioritized before those listed....

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
In 2012, when Bradford was also coming off an injury, did the Rams keep 3 QBs? Wasn't Austin Davis too promising to waive back then?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm putting him(Gilbert) on the PS. He'll stay untouched there IMO. Worst case scenario Hekker has to come in and hand off to our RB's and stay in the game to run fake punts the rest of the game :cool: