3rd QB coach in 3 seasons?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
Heard that the Bengals are going to go hard after Zac Taylor once our season ends. Seems that would be hard on a young QB like Goff.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
McVay is his security blanket. The others are the tutors but at the end of the day it is Sean. I would love to see Jared have more consistency in a QB coach but as long as Sean is there I think Jared will be fine and good coaches will come to work in such an innovative offense leaving Jared the beneficiary

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Jared will be fine, he's not a baby he's got a few years experience now and he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for. He doesn't need anyone to hold his hand and I'm sure McVay will find another good coach

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams have Jedd Fisch and Liam Cohen on staff currently, just like they had Zac Taylor on the staff when Greg Olson left for Oakland...I'm sure one of them will be promoted to QB Coach, so Goff already knows them, but keep in mind the constant is McVay.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rams have Jedd Fisch and Liam Cohen on staff currently, just like they had Zac Taylor on the staff when Greg Olson left for Oakland...I'm sure one of them will be promoted to QB Coach, so Goff already knows them, but keep in mind the constant is McVay.
Everything that matters is in McVay's head already. And if it isn't Kromer knows the answer.

But I actually think McVay and Goff will benefit from continuing to bring in smart, innovative and likely young assistants. The O isn't and should never be static. Ongoing infusion of creativity is a good thing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not when you have your offensive guru tied up in your HC position. Hence the focus on these guys by owners.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I actually think McVay and Goff will benefit from continuing to bring in smart, innovative and likely young assistants.

I think so too, I mean obviously if you're a bright offensive mind working with McVay is a job you want. So yeah have to think he'll bring in some more talent and move on. (y)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Everything that matters is in McVay's head already. And if it isn't Kromer knows the answer.

But I actually think McVay and Goff will benefit from continuing to bring in smart, innovative and likely young assistants. The O isn't and should never be static. Ongoing infusion of creativity is a good thing.
I think McVay calling plays might also be hurting us from a coaching talent acquisition standpoint. It's only been one season, but I could see it being a trend that top offensive coaching talent didn't want to come here because they know McVay calls plays and they won't get the chance.

It takes a serious lack of ego to go into a place strictly to learn and prepare for the future instead of showing your skills out now. I think the best OC candidates and assistant coaches will go elsewhere to prove they're good enough and we'll have to take the middle of the pack guys and rely on McVay for everything.

That's the pessimist in me speaking. Hopefully everything turns out great.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The reason Goff has done so well is because of our offensive coordinator. Our real offensive coordinator. Not the one who carries the title. Fortunately that guy is also our head coach. QB coaches can come and go. Its always gonna be about Sean McVay. We're in good shape for many years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sooo.... it seems that McVay has not only gotten a lot of HCs fired, but he's getting his guys hired as well.

Seems we're going to have to keep hitting on coaches as much as we need to hit on draft picks to keep this going.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay calling plays might also be hurting us from a coaching talent acquisition standpoint. It's only been one season, but I could see it being a trend that top offensive coaching talent didn't want to come here because they know McVay calls plays and they won't get the chance.

Valid point on McVay calling the offense, but the benefits of knowing you'll be targeted for OC and HC jobs by virtue of working for him is a huge benefit. As is getting into that gameplanning process and understanding how he does things.

One underrated aspect of head coaches is that the best ones coach their staff too. Teaching at all levels seems like something McVay does, and he's not an a$$hole about it either. Which, IMO, puts him into rarified air as a HC when you consider how much he wins.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
It will actually be 4 in 4 years.
Who could ever forget Chris Weinke

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Valid point on McVay calling the offense, but the benefits of knowing you'll be targeted for OC and HC jobs by virtue of working for him is a huge benefit. As is getting into that gameplanning process and understanding how he does things.

One underrated aspect of head coaches is that the best ones coach their staff too. Teaching at all levels seems like something McVay does, and he's not an a$$hole about it either. Which, IMO, puts him into rarified air as a HC when you consider how much he wins.
I guess I just know too many short sighted people to have faith that good candidates will be thinking that far ahead.

Ram65

Legend
McVay can't do it all by himself. I do think having the same one could be better. As long as he brings in talented QB coaches Goff should be alright.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

It takes a serious lack of ego to go into a place strictly to learn and prepare for the future instead of showing your skills out now. I think the best OC candidates and assistant coaches will go elsewhere to prove they're good enough and we'll have to take the middle of the pack guys and rely on McVay for everything.

That's the pessimist in me speaking. Hopefully everything turns out great.
Didn't seem to hurt LaFleur or Taylor. Seems like working under McVay on O is the fastest route to being a head coach or coordinator right now.

And it makes sense. The game revolves around the qb, both on the field and in terms of cap space. The entire team strategy is now based on maximizing use of the qb as the team's biggest and most expensive asset or it becomes their biggest liability. McVay has just written the book on turning around a dead in the water offense and helping a talented young qb emerge. Everyone wants a piece of that action.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Didn't seem to hurt LaFleur or Taylor. Seems like working under McVay on O is the fastest route to being a head coach or coordinator right now.

And it makes sense. The game revolves around the qb, both on the field and in terms of cap space. The entire team strategy is now based on maximizing use of the qb as the team's biggest and most expensive asset or it becomes their biggest liability. McVay has just written the book on turning around a dead in the water offense and helping a talented young qb emerge. Everyone wants a piece of that action.
I don't think it will hurt anyone to be in our staff. I think people don't think about their jobs as stepping stones or raining grounds for their next job enough. I didn't see hot coaches line up to be our QB coach or OC last year. We've talked about a few coaches possibly taking positions here, but so far they've all moved on. It's been for HC jobs, but why not strengthen your skills and resume instead of wishing into the next potential failure?

People don't think far enough ahead and that might hurt us.