3rd down WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Was Amendola the last guy the Rams had that you could count on to catch almost every ball throw his way?
I'm having trouble remembering anybody you could really count on to make the catch, take a hit and hang onto the ball. He kept the chains moving and that is what is missing now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would definitely say Bruce and Holt were clutch guys like that...

But if I go off the grid and pick another Proehl was a guy that seemed to have those catches too.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree CGI, but since DA, I can't think of anybody that had great hands.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
Since Amendola, probably Bailey. I trust his hands a lot.

I'd love to see Bailey used more in this role! He has the hands, plus a little more speed than DA.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll make it 3 in-a-row! I think Bailey is definitely 'The man for the Job!' I think I have only seen him Drop one pass lately!! He as good as it gets!(y)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Bailey's got the best hands on the team. But if he can't get open what good does it do? I thought he's be a better version of Austin Pettis but I ain't seeing it yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not even a question. Bailey. Why they continue to not involve him earlier in reads, particularly on key down/distances, is beyond me.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Tavon has way skills than Danny. I'm so confused on why he's not eclipsing Danny's reduction here.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes, Amendola was although Pettis did do a fair job of it. We have had no one in that roll since though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DA was our last go to guy, but we had that one guy, for one year, after Danny. Remember his name?

I hope Quick, becomes that guy. Cook is probably the guy right now.

maximus

Rookie
Welker is available. Not converting 3rd downs has been killing the offense last 2 weeks.

Quick is better as an outside WR.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Tavon should be able to chew up anybody on a short route. It has to be the coaching or D's take him out of the equation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Austi
Tavon should be able to chew up anybody on a short route. It has to be the coaching or D's take him out of the equation.
Austin has all the straight line speed. He has the change of direction when he is moving forward. But his start and stops just aren't what you might think the are. Teams neutralize hi by playing zone and forcing him t settle in the soft spots of the zone, making him come to a complete stop to make the catch. He just doesn't have the same burst that Amendola has.

He also doesn't understand the principles of a route tree. It was perfectly displayed last week on the 3rd and 6 they tried to run with him. On the same "arrow" route that Amendola thrived on here, Austin just doesn't understand how to effectively run it.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Austi

Austin has all the straight line speed. He has the change of direction when he is moving forward. But his start and stops just aren't what you might think the are. Teams neutralize hi by playing zone and forcing him t settle in the soft spots of the zone, making him come to a complete stop to make the catch. He just doesn't have the same burst that Amendola has.

He also doesn't understand the principles of a route tree. It was perfectly displayed last week on the 3rd and 6 they tried to run with him. On the same "arrow" route that Amendola thrived on here, Austin just doesn't understand how to effectively run it.

Very interesting. Find it so hard to believe Danny has better burst because Tavon is a far superior athlete. They just gotta pop in tape of Danny and make Tavon watch it for five straight hours. That's who we need him to be.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Very interesting. Find it so hard to believe Danny has better burst because Tavon is a far superior athlete. They just gotta pop in tape of Danny and make Tavon watch it for five straight hours. That's who we need him to be.
I have watched them try to make Austin into Amendola for the past 3 training camps. He just doesn't have the skill set to make it work. When TJ Moe runs these routes BETTER than Austin, it's time to just stop trying to force a square peg into the round hole. Austin can be a playmaker and a valuable piece of this team. Just seems to me that there a lot of people who still considers him a WR first and foremost and think he is something more than he actually is.

Even going back to all of his success at WVU. It wasn't as a pure WR. It was as a multidimensional "weapon". He had monster days as a RB, returner, and yes as a receiver. But he was never the primary threat as a WR.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Was Amendola the last guy the Rams had that you could count on to catch almost every ball throw his way?
I'm having trouble remembering anybody you could really count on to make the catch, take a hit and hang onto the ball. He kept the chains moving and that is what is missing now.

StedmanFlexArticle.jpg

However, we won't need to worry about 3rd down when Quick and Gurley are full speed.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have got to be able to run a route, and run it effectively. Starts and stops and changing direction are just as important as blazing speed. Bruce, Holt, and Amendola understood this very well. No one ran a route like Isaac. I'm not saying that Tavon doesn't understand it. I'm sure he does. Those guys were good route runners.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I have watched them try to make Austin into Amendola for the past 3 training camps. He just doesn't have the skill set to make it work. When TJ Moe runs these routes BETTER than Austin, it's time to just stop trying to force a square peg into the round hole. Austin can be a playmaker and a valuable piece of this team. Just seems to me that there a lot of people who still considers him a WR first and foremost and think he is something more than he actually is.

Even going back to all of his success at WVU. It wasn't as a pure WR. It was as a multidimensional "weapon". He had monster days as a RB, returner, and yes as a receiver. But he was never the primary threat as a WR.

Well said. Thank you for your insight. You've eased my courosity to a large degree.

BTW, always enjoyed your camp reports. Thanks for that.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We definitely need a TE to make crucial 3rd down plays. I'm thinking like a Ernie Conwell good hands, take hits and make plays.