3k from Turf Show Times (Hit piece)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I spoke with 3k from Turf Show Times to get some insights into the Los Angeles Rams and the Denver Broncos upcoming preseason game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Saturday.

1) What's the general state of the fans of the Rams now that they have relocated to L.A.?
There's always been a schism. When the franchise relocated in 1994, they left behind a huge audience in Los Angeles that still followed the team. Having been a fan since the late 1980s, I remember that relocation pretty well. The difference is the penetration of media and the pervasiveness of social media.

There's been plenty of vitriol between certain LA and St. Louis fans which is to be expected. This is the internet. Several, perhaps many, people are horrible. You might have noticed. That's not specific to football.

But in terms of the general state, I think it's tough to get a sincere, accurate sense of the base right now. St. Louis is yet to deal with its first season watching the Rams from afar and recalibrating their NFL allegiances the way LA did 21 years ago. Los Angeles has yet to adjust to regular season home football and the impact of #Rams #Fisherball #7and9bullshit.

Suffice to say, it's been fascinating as hell to watch it go down, but I'd just say it's still in the middle of the process of relocating. With the Rams long-term home stadium not even opening until 2019, it's a chapter of Rams history that's still being written.

2) Tell us about two players that are standing out so far in the preseason but people outside of your fan base probably don't know very much.
So the big two are TE Tyler Higbee and WR Nelson Spruce. Both have shone in training camp practices. Both had big performances in the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. Both missed the second game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Both are giving Rams fans hope that the passing game won't be as anemic as it was in 2015. Both are likely being forced to carry expectations far too high for a fourth-round tight end and a UDFA WR both yet to play a single regular season game in the NFL.

3) What is the story on Jared Goff so far? Are your fans liking what they see?
Whew. It's probably an encapsulation of everything that's really wrong with the Rams under Jeff Fisher. The Rams traded quite a bit of draft capital, both in the 2016 NFL Draft as well as next year's draft, to move up to the #1 overall pick. To do so after putting up the 32nd-ranked offense in the NFL in yards gained in 2015 implies that Jared Goff alone would be able to resuscitate a limp offensive unit. To this point, he's been unable to beat out Case Keenum for the starting gig (and that's by and large fair given Goff's performances in the two games and in practice to this point).

The quarterback who couldn't beat out Austin Davis or Shaun Hill in 2014 and was a backup to Nick Foles who led the NFL's worst offense for most of last year is now clearly beating out the rookie #1 overall pick the Rams mortgaged most of their future to select.
That's scary in terms what that says not only about Goff but about how Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who has the ultimate authority in personnel moves, and General Manager Les Snead have guided the depth chart at the most important position in sports in the last few years.

In 2014, the Rams brought Case Keenum in after the 2014 preseason but ahead of Week 1 of the regular season. Having joined the team so late in the process, he was unable to make the active roster as the Rams opted instead to roll with the duo of Shaun Hill and Austin Davis. Last year, we traded a seventh-round draft pick to get Keenum back from the Houston Texans who had scooped him off of our practice squad. With Nick Foles the unquestioned starter to open the season, the only question was if Keenum would outpace Sean Mannion, the Rams' 2015 NFL Draft third-round pick, for the backup spot. He did and after Foles' performances became less and less acceptable, Keenum took over the starting job late in the year.

Just to recap: the QB who couldn't beat out Austin Davis or Shaun Hill in 2014 and was a backup to Nick Foles who led the NFL's worst offense for most of last year is now clearly beating out the rookie #1 overall pick the Rams mortgaged most of their future to select. That is a sad, sad, sad sentence.

4) What does your fan base think of Jeff Fisher or as many of us like to call him, "Mr. 7-9"? Is he taking the players in the right direction?
Here's the scary thing. There are people who have paid attention to the Rams since 2012 who aren't calling for Jeff Fisher to be fired after four losing seasons and transforming the Rams from a 7-win team in 2012 to a 7-win team in 2015. I sincerely believe there's a segment of Rams fans for whom Jeff Fisher will never be bad enough to condemn. For a franchise that hasn't produced a winning season since 2003, I think there's just so much tolerance and acceptance among the fans for failure that Jeff Fisher has found perhaps the only environment that doesn't excoriate him for his output since taking the job in 2012.

5) In a dream world, what two players would you take from the Broncos team to help improve yours?
WR Demaryius Thomas for sure. The Rams haven't had a plus split end since the Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce days. After him, it's a bit tough. It's easy to turn to the defense, but that's been the strength of the Rams' roster as well. The need to upgrade the offense is so overwhelming I'm tempted to double-dip in spite of the quality of the defense. Tempted. I can't though. I'll tab Chris Harris to help us out in the secondary.

http://www.milehighreport.com

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
No surprise, 3k with his negative ram bashing ways. I never expected Goff to start day 1 and felt he could learn something by playing behind Keenum. Brady and Rodgers both developed into the QBs they are from not starting right away.

The negativity on that site is why I stopped visiting it.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
635505655298298309360337144_tumblr_m833s8rDFP1qkp8z8o1_500.gif
:

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
No surprise, 3k with his negative ram bashing ways. I never expected Goff to start day 1 and felt he could learn something by playing behind Keenum. Brady and Rodgers both developed into the QBs they are from not starting right away.

The negativity on that site is why I stopped visiting it.

I could almost respect the negativity if he had a clue about the game of football.
But he doesn't,so I don't
Tomas you could have gotten better insight interviewing a10yo from a 3rd world country

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was led to believe Goff would start since he was deemed "more Pro ready"....Was I misled?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
3k? Seems like a good annual salary for a journalist of your skill level.

That's scary

Sure are a scared little bitch, 3k.
To do so after putting up the 32nd-ranked offense in the NFL in yards gained in 2015 implies that Jared Goff alone would be able to resuscitate a limp offensive unit.
Yeah. Most great quarterbacks in history have lit up the skies by the half way point of their first camp. I'm still shocked the whiners didn't dump that bum Montana in 1979 when he couldn't beat out Steve Deberg. Steve Deberg! Kind of like Keenum, huh, 3k? :rolleyes:
Edit: by the way, way to ignore Higbee, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce....
Here's the scary thing
Hey, scared bitch 3k. The Senior editor wants to see you. Bring your laptop and name badge with you. You may need to change your name to 'Zero k' after today. You suck, my friend.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I spoke with 3k from Turf Show Times to get some insights into the Los Angeles Rams and the Denver Broncos upcoming preseason game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Saturday.

1) What's the general state of the fans of the Rams now that they have relocated to L.A.?
There's always been a schism. When the franchise relocated in 1994, they left behind a huge audience in Los Angeles that still followed the team. Having been a fan since the late 1980s, I remember that relocation pretty well. The difference is the penetration of media and the pervasiveness of social media.

There's been plenty of vitriol between certain LA and St. Louis fans which is to be expected. This is the internet. Several, perhaps many, people are horrible. You might have noticed. That's not specific to football.

But in terms of the general state, I think it's tough to get a sincere, accurate sense of the base right now. St. Louis is yet to deal with its first season watching the Rams from afar and recalibrating their NFL allegiances the way LA did 21 years ago. Los Angeles has yet to adjust to regular season home football and the impact of #Rams #Fisherball #7and9bullshit.

Suffice to say, it's been fascinating as hell to watch it go down, but I'd just say it's still in the middle of the process of relocating. With the Rams long-term home stadium not even opening until 2019, it's a chapter of Rams history that's still being written.

2) Tell us about two players that are standing out so far in the preseason but people outside of your fan base probably don't know very much.
So the big two are TE Tyler Higbee and WR Nelson Spruce. Both have shone in training camp practices. Both had big performances in the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. Both missed the second game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Both are giving Rams fans hope that the passing game won't be as anemic as it was in 2015. Both are likely being forced to carry expectations far too high for a fourth-round tight end and a UDFA WR both yet to play a single regular season game in the NFL.

3) What is the story on Jared Goff so far? Are your fans liking what they see?
Whew. It's probably an encapsulation of everything that's really wrong with the Rams under Jeff Fisher. The Rams traded quite a bit of draft capital, both in the 2016 NFL Draft as well as next year's draft, to move up to the #1 overall pick. To do so after putting up the 32nd-ranked offense in the NFL in yards gained in 2015 implies that Jared Goff alone would be able to resuscitate a limp offensive unit. To this point, he's been unable to beat out Case Keenum for the starting gig (and that's by and large fair given Goff's performances in the two games and in practice to this point).

The quarterback who couldn't beat out Austin Davis or Shaun Hill in 2014 and was a backup to Nick Foles who led the NFL's worst offense for most of last year is now clearly beating out the rookie #1 overall pick the Rams mortgaged most of their future to select.
That's scary in terms what that says not only about Goff but about how Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who has the ultimate authority in personnel moves, and General Manager Les Snead have guided the depth chart at the most important position in sports in the last few years.

In 2014, the Rams brought Case Keenum in after the 2014 preseason but ahead of Week 1 of the regular season. Having joined the team so late in the process, he was unable to make the active roster as the Rams opted instead to roll with the duo of Shaun Hill and Austin Davis. Last year, we traded a seventh-round draft pick to get Keenum back from the Houston Texans who had scooped him off of our practice squad. With Nick Foles the unquestioned starter to open the season, the only question was if Keenum would outpace Sean Mannion, the Rams' 2015 NFL Draft third-round pick, for the backup spot. He did and after Foles' performances became less and less acceptable, Keenum took over the starting job late in the year.

Just to recap: the QB who couldn't beat out Austin Davis or Shaun Hill in 2014 and was a backup to Nick Foles who led the NFL's worst offense for most of last year is now clearly beating out the rookie #1 overall pick the Rams mortgaged most of their future to select. That is a sad, sad, sad sentence.

4) What does your fan base think of Jeff Fisher or as many of us like to call him, "Mr. 7-9"? Is he taking the players in the right direction?
Here's the scary thing. There are people who have paid attention to the Rams since 2012 who aren't calling for Jeff Fisher to be fired after four losing seasons and transforming the Rams from a 7-win team in 2012 to a 7-win team in 2015. I sincerely believe there's a segment of Rams fans for whom Jeff Fisher will never be bad enough to condemn. For a franchise that hasn't produced a winning season since 2003, I think there's just so much tolerance and acceptance among the fans for failure that Jeff Fisher has found perhaps the only environment that doesn't excoriate him for his output since taking the job in 2012.

5) In a dream world, what two players would you take from the Broncos team to help improve yours?
WR Demaryius Thomas for sure. The Rams haven't had a plus split end since the Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce days. After him, it's a bit tough. It's easy to turn to the defense, but that's been the strength of the Rams' roster as well. The need to upgrade the offense is so overwhelming I'm tempted to double-dip in spite of the quality of the defense. Tempted. I can't though. I'll tab Chris Harris to help us out in the secondary.

http://www.milehighreport.com

Why didn't you shut that interview down at question #3? Come on Tomas you should have blasted that guy in the package for those remarks
image.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who the hell is 3K and why should I care anymore for what he thinks than any other? After his Goff bashing take, I quit reading. I do remember hearing when we drafted Goff that he had never taken a snap under center and it would take some coaching/practice for him to become comfortable doing that, which is important in the run game/Todd Gurley. Goff has made strides, but is still a freakin rookie. 3K is an azzhole.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
TST is a good example of how the Internet has shaped sports journalism. These aren't journalists, in that they likely don't have journalism degrees (or in some cases any degrees) - but that part doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me that they are generally negative. Cmon, guys - this is the Rams. Anyone taking a journalistic approach to this team probably ought to be a bit negative - we have played some pretty terrible football the last decade.

What bothers me is the elitist attitude. They have no more access than any of us to the team. They aren't in the locker room, the press box, at press conferences, on media conference calls - they are just some dudes with a blog.

They grab writers off of Twitter - "hey, who wants to be a sportswriter?" And all of that is fine - there are few TST guys I really like - but the ones who act like they are somehow more 'in the know' than others get under my skin. Frankly, anyone who tends to disregard the opinion of others with smug superiority is bothersome anyway.

This isn't just a TST thing either - there are a ton of these kinds of sites out there. And they can be fun if the people behind them are real with it / but when they get a bit full of themselves - and some do - I lose interest.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No worries once the Rams go 11-5 this season and win in post season there is plenty of room on the bandwagon for all future and former fans, whether they are in Los Angeles, St. Louis, Cleveland or Tipperary! Because it's all about the Horns and only the Horns!
addon.php

STL-Rams-logo-blue-01-15-16.jpg

323_NFL_CLEVELAND_RAMS.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is the internet. Several, perhaps many, people are horrible. You might have noticed. That's not specific to football.

I've noticed and commented on what it's done to sports journalism. :)

I was led to believe Goff would start since he was deemed "more Pro ready"....Was I misled?

No, you just don't know shit about football. LOL, sorry I couldn't resist it was too easy and I have so little self control these days. I'm sure it doesn't matter to me if he doesn't start.........there is no hurry IMO. No rush.........take the time to get it right.

TST is a good example of how the Internet has shaped sports journalism. These aren't journalists, in that they likely don't have journalism degrees (or in some cases any degrees) - but that part doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me that they are generally negative. Cmon, guys - this is the Rams. Anyone taking a journalistic approach to this team probably ought to be a bit negative - we have played some pretty terrible football the last decade.

There is a difference between accurately reporting with "a tone" and just slamming away on the easy stuff with zero context. I can't stand that type of writing, it's shallow and cheap and smarmy and snarky (look at the big brain on Les). It adds nothing to anything. It's not even filler or fluff. It's just noise. It doesn't actually bother me, I just think it's lazy and I can't respect it.

@den-the-coach that CLE Rams font is really nice.......I think it would be cool if they add some elements from all three cities into the new materials. Do you know what font it is?