3 YEARS LATER: 2016 Rams Draft Grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. QB Jared Goff.
4. TE Tyler Higbee.
4. WR Pharoh Cooper.
6. TE Temarrick Hemingway.
6. LB Josh Forrest.
6. WR Mike Thomas.

Ok so it's almost three years later but still I think with nearly 3 full seasons to evaluate the picks this one has taken shape for the most part.

To start off any draft that solves a perennial QB problem with one of the best young signal callers in the league is an automatic success. Going up and getting Jared Goff was criticized widely due to him & Wentz being perceived as not worthy like the previous draft's 1-2 QBs were. Laughable as that is now, it was indeed something I was irked by after the trade up and damn it feels good to have Jared in horns. Also, the Rams didn't seem to miss those picks they gave up did they? And the Titans haven't exactly racked up Super Bowl wins with all those picks we gave them either so strange how that works eh? Last but not least the Rams were shrewd enough to take the younger QB who was a pocket guy over the bigger guy who would have given Fisher more wins early on with his ability to threaten the edge with his legs. Bravo Les Snead and company on this pick and this grand slam selection has redefined the franchise. GRADE: A+.

Tyler Higbee is finally coming into his own now in the latter half of season three. Wasn't sure he'd ever be more than an inline blocking threat, but he has definitely begun to settle in as a guy who can execute in the run game and shock a defense periodically in the passing game. Which is very valuable. He is a solid starter who is on the cusp of being being a plus guy if he continues to make plays when called on in the passing game. Also of note was that he had a high talent level for his round of selection due to the off field incident that he has since put behind him. GRADE: B+.

Pharoh Cooper during his first three seasons made the Pro Bowl as a punt returner, and has also been high enough on the depth chart to sub in at WR, which is solid for a round 4 selection. His struggles in last year's playoff game notwithstanding, he's been worth the draft capital spent on him and looks like a solid depth option in the slot who can also play outside the hashes in a pinch. GRADE: B-.

Temarrick Hemingway was a typical Jeff Fisher defined prospect, i.e. long on physical ability with the assumption the staff could coach him up to be something special. Josh Forrest was another guy who had some intriguing ability but lacked the instincts and resilience. GRADE: F for both.

Mike Thomas showed extremely well as a gunner for us on teams, which is quite good for a round 6 pick. That said he's also been battling injury and is fighting that time window vs contract as we go forward, where being too low on the depth chart opens him up for replacement. But he does still have a chance to earn snaps in this offense based on how much progress he has made on his route running. For now going to go with a GRADE: B-.

Top heavy draft, no doubt about it. But one that is carrying us right now into the playoffs as a very high seed largely due to hitting on the QB. The Rams showed vision and aggressively went up and got their guy, and he is paying off now with spades. OVERALL GRADE: A-.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good topic. Anytime you have 1 pick inside the first 3 rounds... and still have 4 players remaining 3 years later, on a SuperBowl quality roster... Thats a very good draft.

Just getting Goff on draft day, as a QB needy team, is mission accomplished. It’s the position everyone is looking to solidify.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
To me this is an A+ draft period end of story. For the simple eason they went up and drafted Goff. He is imo a HOF caliber in the making QB. Most teams look forever to find a top 5 QB out of 32. He is the most undervalued player in the NFL. They say it is McVay or the overall team that makes him, I disagree I believe when the dust settles on Jared's career you'll see him wearing a gold jacket he to me is that good. Watch his throws in the Minnesota game and that should help you understand why I like him so much.

As for the overall draft the rest are okay not a spectacular draft outside of Jared honestly, but Jared alone makes it an A+ .

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Goff and nothing else makes the overall draft an A.

Thomas receives a pass for his injury and is given a B- because of some nice special teams work, but Cooper, also injured, was a Pro Bowl returner and also receives a B-? I’d say C+ for Thomas, B for Cooper.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Grade F for the sixth rounders, Hemingway and Forrest is too harsh, IMO.

Hemingway, is on an active roster in Denver three years after being drafted in the SIXTH round.
Gets a C, C- at worst for a SIXTH, regardless of the drafting coach.

Forrest was on the Hags practice squad after leaving the Rams and is currently a FA.

According to research, SIXTH rounders start 1.9% of games over a 5 year career.

NFL average career is 3.3 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe...nt-is-success-to-draft-position/#13bc6da07495

So my conclusion is that these 2 have performed in an average fashion for the relative length of their careers.

Grade C

I take no issue with the other grades.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Was so excited to see what Forrest could bring to this defense. Wish he was still here but i guess there's a reason he never made it on a squad.

ausmurp

Starter
Only Goff and Higbee are starting quality. Goff is franchise QB and potentially fringe elite now. We hit on the most important position in football and most 1st rd QBs are busts. So have to give us a good grade. Take Goff away though and that is a topical terrible Fisher draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only Goff and Higbee are starting quality. Goff is franchise QB and potentially fringe elite now. We hit on the most important position in football and most 1st rd QBs are busts. So have to give us a good grade. Take Goff away though and that is a topical terrible Fisher draft.

No doubt. Although of course we have to keep in mind that the price of Goff is why that draft was missing pieces. Tried to focus on where they were taken, but yeah grading a draft even three years later can vary wildly based on what your expectations are for a given round.

Now 2017...that's the kind of draft that wins SBs and completes a team.

Yeah had to stop myself from doing 2017, I was looking at that one first and that's what led me to go back a year. Kind of fun to look back and see how the pieces fit and are producing and yes the 2017 is going to be really fun to review especially since we're poised for a playoff run with a couple of those guys figuring prominently in our offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going up and getting Jared Goff was criticized widely due to him & Wentz being perceived as not worthy like the previous draft's 1-2 QBs were. Laughable as that is now, it was indeed something I was irked by after the trade up and damn it feels good to have Jared in horns.

the rams were so lucky both qbs were perceived that way. there's no way they could have traded up to the #1 pick if goff and wentz were highly regarded like, say, luck and rg3.