3 takeaways from QB John Wolford’s command of the Rams offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
3 takeaways from QB John Wolford’s command of the Rams offense

The performance of LA Rams backup QB John Wolford at Saturday’s scrimmage was very impressive. Or perhaps was very confirming of the Rams decision to stick with him as the primary backup. Of course, he has yet to play in an NFL game, but some backup quarterbacks never really do. All Wolford can do in the scenarios that he plays football is to prove that he is the guy deserving of lining up under center.

Wolford is still wet behind the ears in terms of NFL experience, and particularly in terms of the LA Rams. From the moment the Rams cut QB Brandon Allen in 2019, they committed to Wolford as their quarterback of the future. Even as the team’s confidence level in Wolford rose, they tucked him away on the 2019 practice squad. The 6-foot-1 200-pound dual-threat quarterback is somebody who just seems to “fit” what the Rams offense is designed to do.

Dual-threat swarming NFL

Looking at the NFL, the presence of dual-threat quarterbacks is on the rise. The latest examples of excellence in the NFL at the quarterback position are Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, and Lamar Jackson. While they each have their own respective talents, the shape of the NFL game is changing rapidly as a result. Think of the newest quarterbacks in the NFL creating buzz? Arizona Cardinals Kyler Murray, Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa, and Philadelphia Eagles Jalen Hurts.

With the momentum behind the NFL movement to “go mobile”, the ability to defend dual-threat quarterbacks will rise as well. In the past, the key to defending mobile quarterbacks like Michael Vick and Cam Newton was to assign one defender as the “spy” to mirror the quarterback and use the pass rush to stay in their lanes and create containment. But over time, defenses have become faster and leaner. That paves the way for Wolford’s skills at the position.

He deserves the primary backup role

Has LA Rams quarterback put in his dues for a shot to backup Jared Goff? That’s not exactly how this should, or will, work. After all, the question is never raised if a player is drafted in the first round in the NFL draft. So why should it work that way for a backup? So far, it’s not working that way for the Rams. The Rams roster is based on the merit system. The fact that John Wolford is the presumed backup quarterback already means that he’s earned the role.

While he wasn’t drafted early in the 2018 NFL Draft, he’s certainly made the most of his NFL opportunities since. He was signed after the 2018 draft by the New York Jets. After his release from the Jets, the Rams added Wolford to their quarterbacks’ squad in the spring of 2019 along with veteran quarterback Blake Bortles.

2019 preseason hero

It was Wolford’s 2019 preseason performance that caught the LA Rams coaches attention. In the preseason, Wolford was just,. very effective. In four preseason games in 2019, he passed for 54, 26, 105, and 64 yards. But he did pass for three touchdowns and threw no interceptions. While that may not seem like much, it was very impressive for a player who shared time with other quarterbacks in each game.

Wolford made the most of what he was given. And so far, he is picking right up in the 2020 training camp. In the scrimmage game, Wolford was able to score against both the first and second string. In one sequence, he tossed a needle threader to Nsimba Webster. In the other, he put one out there to the rookie wide receiver Van Jefferson, who dragged a toe to get the second touchdown. One scrimmage, a couple of touchdowns. What’s not to love?

Rams HC Sean McVay is leaning on his RGIII history

While the arrival of the mobile quarterback seems to be taking the NFL by storm. Keep in mind that the LA Rams head coach Sean McVay has a rich and robust history with coaching a very mobile dual-threat quarterback when he was the Washington Football Team’s offensive coordinator. During his time, he had the opportunity to design plays for quarterback Robert Griffin III.

While Griffin is the backup quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens. he certainly afforded the Washington offense a wide range of new play options That type of wide-open offense is a bit tough to forget. Much like driving a clutch automobile, every new car will never deliver the same thrill of listening to the engine purr, watching the tachometer, and the rhythmic shift to the next gear. The need to remain engaged is invigorating.

Dual-threat planning

With a dual-threat quarterback, offensive coaches need to remain just as engaged. Not just in runs or passes, but also how the play sets up potential escape routes for the quarterback to choose when scrambling to extend the play. Planning for a dual-threat quarterback truly takes it up a notch, even to the point of running lanes.

Griffen was eventually replaced in the Washington offense by teammate Kirk Cousins. After he injured his knee, the goal was to prevent injuries by designing more pocket plays for him. It’s not just McVay who has that background with mobile quarterbacks. New offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell worked a miraculous job by transforming Washington’s rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins

The impact of OC Kevin O’ Connell is apparent

The Rams quarterbacks will develop rapidly this year. How so? Well, the Rams offense has HC Sean McVay as the offensive playbook, play-caller sort of guy. The Rams quarterbacks, Jared Goff, John Wolford, and Bryce Perkins have their own offensive coordinator in Kevin O’Connell.

While we have talked at length about the impact of O’Connell on Goff’s game: Not only how he will help Goff read defenses more effectively, but also in the way that the Rams package the offense to be more “Goff friendly”. But while the Rams work to help Goff, the more critical work is after Goff on the depth chart.

QB whisperer

The LA Rams did not retain any veteran quarterbacks with the team this year. While you can debate the proper number of backups to carry on the roster in 2020, the fact is that Wolford is the Rams backup quarterback. With no NFL game experience, and partial duty in four 2019 preseason games, how can the Rams be so trusting he can answer the bell? Simple, because they have O’Connell.

The most difficult thing for young quarterbacks in the NFL is processing what they see. But O’Connell is like adding another CPU chip to their brains. He breaks down what they see, aims them at the proper keys, and helps them digest the plays so that they too can be in a position to make a game-winning throw. Wolford has not played in an NFL game, yet. But thanks to the help from offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, he’ll look like a veteran if and when he does.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
? QB of the future? And, by the way, Tua has sucked in camp so not so sure about the "buzz" on that one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It sure feels good to see the Rams confidence in Wolford.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I also thought he looked promising in his 2019 stint.
Good to hear his praises being sung again.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If he has to start for us, I hope he is the real deal and its very likely he would need his mobility....
... that said, I don't want to see him being used as a "dual threat", I want a guy who will deliver from the pocket and escape for positive yards when available. I really don't like offenses that rely on scrambling QBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is Bortles out of the league?

Overall I've never been a fan of running QBs as a predominant theme in the NFL. I prefer a pocket passer league. I like having a backup who can run though. The switch to a running QB after an injury midgame has killed Ram offenses over the years. But running QBs have been winning games so I guess it's here to stay. The bigger threat for an injury always looms in the background.

I do like Wohlford. He looks like a guy that could start in this league.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is Bortles out of the league?

Overall I've never been a fan of running QBs as a predominant theme in the NFL. I prefer a pocket passer league.

Now I don't like a QB who runs first, but I was always a fan of the QB's that could extend the plays like Roger Thomas Staubach, Francis Asbury Tarkenton & Tom Brady when he first came up. Mahomes has that ability too, so the ability to move the chains and keeping the play alive to avoid a sack is positive trait IMHO.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Now I don't like a QB who runs first, but I was always a fan of the QB's that could extend the plays like Roger Thomas Staubach, Francis Asbury Tarkenton & Tom Brady when he first came up. Mahomes has that ability too, so the ability to move the chains and keeping the play alive to avoid a sack is positive trait IMHO.
And I think with Goff’s improvement in this area, we now have 3 QBs that are good at it.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
"scrambling' quarterbacks always end up in one place. BROKEN.
Just a matter of time. NFL defenders are big, fast and quick heat seeking missiles and do what they do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and I always felt that John Elway was the best ever at that. In fact if I were an offensive coach the first thing I'd give a drafted QB who has running ability is a tape of Elway extending plays in order to gun it down the field. Not the plays where he gunned it across the field mind you, as he had a rare arm too and most guys don't want to do that. But just the buying time for scramble drill and completion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

yeah I should have clarified. The guys you mention run enough to extend drives. Murray runs too much. Wilson scrambles more to avoid sacks, which is good. But I don't enjoy watching Baltimore. I enjoyed watching the Cards but only because they were Rams wins. :ROFLMAO: