3 observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
bomebadeeda said:
I think once the season starts you'll see trips w/ Cook, Austin, Quick, Givens and whoever else they want to throw in there. And also you'll see them use the inside rub. All we have seen so far is the outside setup (to Austin and to Rishardson....). But you throw together 2 tall guys and one fast and have them do a scatter (crossing routes...) right from the Triple WR or use 2 fast and 1 large...and run the 2 fast guys and sit down the big one.....it will be a nightmare.......but not for us......

I ain't buying Pettis in the mix....... He just isn't stepping up and getting seperation. I see Bailey being a better force as the #4.

Co-sign.

Yup Bailey will become a force.

lockdnram21

Legend
max said:
Does anyone else wonder why Givens doesn't score more often on those deep catches? I wonder if it has anything to do with him not not quite being explosive enough after the catch. It's weird, he runs by people, but then gets caught from behind.

I think thats bradford fault. He has to put the ball farther in front of givens so he doesnt have to stop

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
lockdnram21 said:
max said:
Does anyone else wonder why Givens doesn't score more often on those deep catches? I wonder if it has anything to do with him not not quite being explosive enough after the catch. It's weird, he runs by people, but then gets caught from behind.

I think thats bradford fault. He has to put the ball farther in front of givens so he doesnt have to stop

I don't think you could say that with Saturday's bomb.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Go and watch the week one Giants Steelers preseason game highlights. Go to the 1:22 min mark....

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000228892/Pre-Week-1-Giants-vs-Steelers-highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights</a>

Eli underthrows Cruz who has to reach back to catch the ball and then bursts away from the DB for the TD. Givens hasn't shown that he can do that. You touch him and he goes down. Which is all fine and dandy cause 59 yds is 59 yds no matter what. But to pin any of it on Bradford is a joke.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
CGI_Ram said:
lockdnram21 said:
max said:

I don't think you could say that with Saturday's bomb.

Agreed. He placed it right where it needed to be. Any further, and you'd be looking at an incomplete pass instead of a 50+ yard gain.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max loving his Bradford jersey:
Eli underthrows Cruz who has to reach back to catch the ball and then bursts away from the DB for the TD. Givens hasn't shown that he can do that. You touch him and he goes down. Which is all fine and dandy cause 59 yds is 59 yds no matter what. But to pin any of it on Bradford is a joke.

Just because Givens wasn't able to do the same thing as Cruz did doesn't change the fact that the ball was under thrown. Givens had to slow down and the DB didn't. The DB was able to make up the ground he'd lost. Not surprising that the DB caught up to him before Givens could get back up to speed.

It was a good throw but if it had been better it would have been a TD IMO.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
check out this article with stats on receivers tackled inside the five yard line,

<a class="postlink" href="http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/08/receivers-getting-tackled-inside-the-5-yard-line-from-2008-2012-why-we-should-not-be-concerned-about-calvin-johnson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/08/re ... n-johnson/</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend
albefree69 said:
max loving his Bradford jersey:

Just because Givens wasn't able to do the same thing as Cruz did doesn't change the fact that the ball was under thrown. Givens had to slow down and the DB didn't. The DB was able to make up the ground he'd lost. Not surprising that the DB caught up to him before Givens could get back up to speed.

It was a good throw but if it had been better it would have been a TD IMO.

Givens did not have to slow down at all for this ball, the DB was right there the entire time. If anything he gets a little more separation at the last second.

[stl]56295ace-5652-4abd-a4f4-966af94f52ac[/stl]

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
max said:

And is anyone else a tad nervous that Sam freezes up in the red zone? I mean, he makes astonishing throws at times like the TD to Givens in Cleveland, then he goes open loop on a gimme to Tavon. I'm not sure I get it, but I'm hoping its just a matter of him being a guy who needs lots of reps to get some sort of muscle memory on those "chip shots". I just don't think Sam is an intuitive player like Wilson appears to me to be.

I noticed that Cook isn't targeted in the end zone. I've read that he isn't the type of player who is cut out for short spaces. Anyone think that holds water?

As far a Givens, he is fast but doesn't have much wiggle in him. For his size he has kind of a long stride. From his 5th stride to his 15th he is very fast.
Even with Bradfords arm strength he can out run the pass considering how much air has to go under the ball to go 60+ yards in the air. A soon as he starts looking back for the ball he starts slowing which allows the defender to close.
They will work this out as a timing route so Givens and the ball will just meet down field.
Regardless Givens will have a great year since Cook and Travon will be keeping the safeties off him.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
bluecoconuts from a different angle:
Givens did not have to slow down at all for this ball, the DB was right there the entire time. If anything he gets a little more separation at the last second.

Yeah, I've seen that video before and I can see how you would think that, but if you look at it from the QB perspective like they showed in the game you would clearly see that Givens had to slow down to catch the ball. Givens also slightly misjudged the trajectory of the pass because he had to make a last minute adjustment.

At least that's what I saw during the game and I rewatched that part to make sure. Of course my vision sucks. :bg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At least we're at the point where people now want to see perfectly timed 50 yard (in the air) passes from Bradford instead of "dink and dunk."

That's progress.

I guess.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X from a different perspective:
At least we're at the point where people now want to see perfectly timed 50 yard (in the air) passes from Bradford instead of "dink and dunk."

That's progress.

I guess.

I'm talking about why he was tackled inside the 5 yard line. This isn't about the good pass Sam made to Givens, I'm only pointing out that it wasn't Peads fault that it wasn't a TD. It was a very good pass. Had it been perfect it would have been a TD. Pead did an equally good job catching it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
albefree69 said:

That's progress.

I guess.

I'm talking about why he was tackled inside the 5 yard line. This isn't about the good pass Sam made to Givens, I'm only pointing out that it wasn't Peads fault that it wasn't a TD. It was a very good pass. Had it been perfect it would have been a TD. Pead did an equally good job catching it.

Pead is amazing for his ability to pick up the blitz, while Sam unloads, pancake the rusher, and then get 57 yards downfield for a slightly underthrown ball. :ww:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
bluecoconuts extolling Pead's good points:
Pead is amazing for his ability to pick up the blitz, while Sam unloads, pancake the rusher, and then get 57 yards downfield for a slightly underthrown ball. :ww:
You noticed it too huh? :whome?:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:

That's progress.

I guess.

Do I nees to create another word filter that changes "Pead" to "Givens"? Because that's gonna create some confusion I think. :lol:

And my point stands. It may not have been perfect because Givens wasn't running full tilt at the end of that catch, but at least the criticisms now are focused on the pinpoint accuracy of a 50+ yard bomb instead of his "desire" (according to some) to throw check-down passes.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X noticing the difference:
And my point stands. It may not have been perfect because Givens wasn't running full tilt at the end of that catch, but at least the criticisms now are focused on the pinpoint accuracy of a 50+ yard bomb instead of his "desire" (according to some) to throw check-down passes.
A good development for sure. :ja:

fearsomefour

Legend
The tight spaces and quick decisions (vision) needed to be successful throwing the ball down close is why so many teams love the fade....its a safe pass down there. Get a good matchup outside and throw a jump ball. No reading, no adjusting....just dont underthrow it. Running a sort of pick play with Cook and either Austin or Givens (with the wr running in motion behind cook on the snap) could be very effective without throwing the ball into heavy traffic.....if the defender breaks off of Cook to run with the WR go up high to Cook, if not, throw a quick pass to the WR who should be able to beat the CB to the corner.
But, Sam isent terrible down there or anything. One thing he has done from time to time is felt pressure to make a play and force the ball. Maybe that is someone dropping into coverage he didnt see or just forcing the ball. Either way, with a good D he needs to learn (in most situations) get to that 2 count in your head and if it isent there, throw it away. Worse things than a chip shot field goal. But, I think Bradford will improve in this aspect of the game with more experience and better targets.
I agree that the jury is still out of Shott as a play caller.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fearsomefour said:
The tight spaces and quick decisions (vision) needed to be successful throwing the ball down close is why so many teams love the fade....its a safe pass down there. Get a good matchup outside and throw a jump ball. No reading, no adjusting....just dont underthrow it. Running a sort of pick play with Cook and either Austin or Givens (with the wr running in motion behind cook on the snap) could be very effective without throwing the ball into heavy traffic.....if the defender breaks off of Cook to run with the WR go up high to Cook, if not, throw a quick pass to the WR who should be able to beat the CB to the corner.
But, Sam isent terrible down there or anything. One thing he has done from time to time is felt pressure to make a play and force the ball. Maybe that is someone dropping into coverage he didnt see or just forcing the ball. Either way, with a good D he needs to learn (in most situations) get to that 2 count in your head and if it isent there, throw it away. Worse things than a chip shot field goal. But, I think Bradford will improve in this aspect of the game with more experience and better targets.
I agree that the jury is still out of Shott as a play caller.

Nice post.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Shoot we will fit it as per Martz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2