3 Moves St. Louis Rams Should Have Made This Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2521518-3-moves-st-louis-rams-should-have-made-this-offseason

3 Moves St. Louis Rams Should Have Made This Offseason
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist

Every NFL team attempts to maximize its offseason resources, but each team ultimately misses an opportunity. It's unavoidable.

The St. Louis Rams made some excellent decisions in free agency and the draft.

The Rams added an elite running back prospect in Todd Gurley, an intimidating fifth-lineman in Nick Fairley, a starting-caliber linebacker in Akeem Ayers and even a new signal caller in Nick Foles—who could be the new face of the franchise if things go well.

The team also replenished an ailing offensive line with a platoon of rookies—all of whom are built to strengthen the offense's rushing attack.

Still, there are a few small details and missed opportunities that prevented St. Louis from having the perfect offseason. It's not something the Rams should be blamed for—as mentioned, it happens to every team every year—but we can still point out those errors.

This article will accomplish that by highlighting the three majors misses of St. Louis' offseason.

Taking a Chance on La'el Collins
hi-res-e0142a7811783ec0b455a0b9eb2d34e6_crop_north.jpg

Brandon Wade/Associated Press

Missing out on La'el Collins is a regret 30 other NFL teams are dealing with, but it's a little more specific to the Rams than those other teams.

For those unfamiliar with the situation, let's go through a brief refresher course:

On Tuesday, April 28—two days prior to the 2015 NFL Draft—Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that Collins was wanted for questioning by the Baton Rouge police regarding the shooting death of his pregnant former girlfriend, 29-year-old Brittany Mills.

While Collins was not a suspect at the time, the police still wished to question him as a person of interest.

Collins—initially pegged by many as a possible first-round pick—requested to enter the July supplemental draft but was denied, per NFL.com. He ultimately went unpicked in the opening round, as most predicted.

Naturally, teams did not want to make a sizable investment in Collins, just in case his story took a horrible turn for the worse.

For three days, the free-fall continued and Collins never heard his name called. He went totally undrafted.

But for those who don't know, he came pretty darn close.

Immediately following the draft, the MMQB released the following quote from Rick Smith, who served on Collins' team of counsel:

“There was a team that had drafted four offensive linemen,” Smith says, “and they said, ‘We’re taking him.’ And I texted back, ‘You’re going to embarrass yourself. You’re going to waste this pick.’"

The quote refers to a potential seventh-round suitor. Given that the Rams are the only team to fit the description, that pretty much narrows it down.

Many, including Schefter, reported that if Collins were drafted beyond Day 2, he would have held out in an attempt to re-enter the 2016 draft.

In the MMQB article, Collins' camp basically admitted that the threats were a complete bluff in order to avoid being drafted—a ploy that granted Collins free-agent status and the ability to sign with his preferred team.

No one can really blame the Rams for not calling the bluff, especially since he apparently had no desire to play for St. Louis (which we can assume is the case, given his representation's discouragements in the above quote).

However, if the Rams truly had interest, as suggested, the cost of the gamble was minimal.

For a mere seventh-round investment, the Rams would have owned the exclusive rights to Collins. Regardless of the open-ended case, along with Collins' threat of holding out, that's still a pretty minimal cost to pay.

Had the case taken a turn for the worse, the Rams could have immediately cut Collins with little to no backlash. It would've been viewed as a classic risk-reward business decision that went awry.

Had Collins attempted to holdout, general manager Les Snead could have simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh well, at least we tried. It was a rare chance to get a first-round talent in the seventh round, but that's that."

But as we now know, a holdout was never going to happen.

It was a rare, dicey situation that was surely difficult to analyze on the spot, so as mentioned, the Rams don't deserve any real blame for missing out.

Still, in hindsight, the whole incident was rather transparent and could have been dissected a little better. It was a chance to add some much-needed offensive line talent, but they were simply outmaneuvered.

Holding off on Trading Zac Stacy
hi-res-a3dcf54b6b1e62abdb2cbe313fd745fa_crop_north.jpg

Rick Scuteri/Associated Press

Zac Stacy's diminished role was one of the great mysteries of 2014.

Stacy failed to hit 20 carries in a single game last season—even before Tre Mason's emergence in Week 7. He even had a four-game stretch where he didn't touch the ball once.

There were no media reports involving off-the-field misconduct or poor behavior during practices. He just vanished from the field without a proper explanation from the coaching staff.

From a visual standpoint, he did appear to lose some of his power and nastiness in 2014. He didn't pinball off defenders and shed tackles with the same effectiveness as his 2013 self.

He also had fewer big plays.

In 2013, six of his 250 carries went for 20 or more yards (once every 41.6 carries), yet he had zero 20-yard carries in 2014, despite carrying the ball 76 times.

However, his 3.9 yards-per-carry average last season was dead-even with his 2013 self. So regardless, he was still on pace to match his rookie season.

The point being: There doesn't seem to be a true defect to warrant the low-ball seventh-round compensation St. Louis received for trading Stacy to the New York Jets.

Stacy rushed for 973 yards as a rookie. There have been 127 running backs drafted in the fifth round since the 1970 merger, and none of them were able to exceed that total during their rookie years. The closest was Mike Thomas of the Washington Redskins, who ran for 919 yards in 1975.

Surely, that performance warrants a full refund on that initial fifth-round investment. That should have been the minimum compensation. It would've even be reasonable to expect a little interest—maybe a high fourth-round pick.

The insulting seventh-round offer should have been balked at from the start.

According to Chris Wesseling of NFL.com, Stacy requested a trade following St. Louis' selection of Todd Gurley at No. 10 overall. So, we can assume the deal was a combination of low demand and an effort to please Stacy.

Still, that's not good enough.

There was no pressing deadline for accomplishing a deal. If the market were quiet, the Rams could have waited until the end of training camp, when the injuries typically begin to pile up. Surely, a running-back needy would have surfaced and St. Louis could've cut a better deal.

As for Stacy's desires, the Rams could have simply ensured him that they have every intention of trading him as soon as a reasonable buyer emerges. If that didn't sit well, they would politely but firmly remind him that he has a contract and that the Rams are a football business—not a travel agency.

The difference between a fifth- and seventh-round pick might seem marginal, but think again.

Along with Stacy, Chris Givens (fourth round), Greg Zuerlein (sixth) and E.J. Gaines (sixth) are all productive players drafted in that mid- to late-round range.

It's possible the Rams missed out on striking mid-round gold once again, presumably due to nothing more than a lack of patience.

Pursuing a Veteran Offensive Lineman
hi-res-26c1c0a89e04af6a4e73709aa75201a8_crop_north.jpg

Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press

The Rams entered the offseason in desperate need of offensive line reinforcements.

St. Louis' strategy was to pass on free-agent offensive linemen and bombard the position with draft picks. In the end, the Rams grabbed linemen with four of their nine picks, including Rob Havenstein (second round), Jamon Brown (third), Andrew Donnal (fourth) and Cody Wichmann (sixth).

Adding fresh, healthy recruits over worn-down veterans is an excellent long-term strategy, but things could get messy in 2015.

Without a veteran presence, the unit is facing a steep learning curve.

It's assumed that Havenstein is the new anchor at right tackle. Given recent history, he might have the best shot among all the St. Louis rookie linemen at starting the majority of the games.

In 2014, six offensive linemen were selected in the second round, like Havenstein. Four of them started at least 14 games, and only Buffalo's Cyrus Kouandjio started none. So that bodes well for Havenstein.

However, the Rams will likely depend on Brown or Donnal to fill a starting guard spot. Unfortunately, if we use the previous draft as an indicator, that might be asking a bit much.

Of the 15 offensive linemen selected in the third or fourth round in 2014, only four started at least 10 games and Russell Bodine of theCincinnati Bengals was the only one to start all 16. Nine of those 15 started five games or fewer.

The Rams have some extra cushion with Wichmann and supplemental draft pick Isaiah Battle—who's likely far behind after missing OTAs—but needless to say, it'd be reassuring to have at least one more veteran in the mix.

That's not to say St. Louis should have overpaid for Rodney Hudson or Mike Iupati, but there were other options.

Center Stefen Wisniewski signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a manageable one-year, $2.5 million contract with a mere $1.75 million cap hit, per Spotrac.

As of now, the center job is between Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney, who have combined for four career starts—all belonging to Barnes. Wisniewski could have improved the position—a position that went ignored in the draft—for a minimal cost.

Even now, former Pro-Bowl center Chris Myers and former All-Pro guard Evan Mathis are still on the market, waiting to be snatched up. With the lack of interest, surely a modest deal can be hammered out with at least one of them.

It's true that adding a veteran would mean cutting a younger player, or at least sending him to the practice squad. However, can this current regime afford to wait patiently while seven first- or second-year linemen take the time to fully develop?

It's been three seasons and Jeff Fisher has yet to exceed seven wins. If the rate of this team's development does not enter turbo-mode soon, he'll eventually be rebuilding an offensive line for some other team.

For three years, the complaints have all been directed at the offense. If the fans are asked to ignore the offensive woes yet again while the new line develops, they might be calling for heads by the season's end.

With that in mind, maybe one single veteran lineman as an insurance policy isn't such a horrible idea.

Steven Gerwel is the longest-tenured Rams featured columnist at Bleacher Report and served as the Rams' game-day correspondent in 2014. You can find more of Gerwel's work by visiting his writer profile or following him on Twitter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm good passing on the vets on the oline.

Stacy? I was a huge fan of his. Something weird happened there. I hope we learn more some day.

Collins... Yep. That was a miscalculation. Then again; we need to see our own kids play before feeling too much remorse.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Agree 1000% This is the first article in a long time that actually gets it right. For me it was inexcusable to not draft Collins and sign a veteran free agent lineman, especially given the Rams need at OL for the past upteen years. If the Rams would have signed Iupati EVERYONE of this board would have been saying what a great signing. So please no BS on glad the Rams overpaid for a TE they did not need and skip on the veteran lineman. But, if the Rams OL plays great this coming year then I'll be eating crow. I agree with the Stacy comment also, inexcusable.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Agree 1000% This is the first article in a long time that actually gets it right. For me it was inexcusable to not draft Collins and sign a veteran free agent lineman, especially given the Rams need at OL for the past upteen years. If the Rams would have signed Iupati EVERYONE of this board would have been saying what a great signing. So please no BS on glad the Rams overpaid for a TE they did not need and skip on the veteran lineman. But, if the Rams OL plays great this coming year then I'll be eating crow. I agree with the Stacy comment also, inexcusable.

Everyone's a pro in hindsight. Had we drafted Collins and it went south you would be on here posting on how dumb they were for taking him in the 1st place.

Furthermore you don't get to speak for EVERYONE there are quite a few of us on here that wanted nothing to do with overpaying any of the vet guards let alone iupati.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm about tired of all this La'El Collins love, the guy hasn't played a down yet, but to half of the Rams fans and the rest of the civilized world it's a bigger draft mistake than Jason Smith and Lawrence Phillips combined.

Like goddamn, can he play one game before he's anointed the savior of our world.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm about tired of all this La'El Collins love, the guy hasn't played a down yet, but to half of the Rams fans and the rest of the civilized world it's a bigger draft mistake than Jason Smith and Lawrence Phillips combined.

Like goddamn, can he play one game before he's anointed the savior of our world.

Well it should have been us that gave him that chance to play one game and become a savior! It was no risk huge reward and we didn't make it happen so it was a mistake. Not too sure about the other two. Stacy wanted out and though I like him and his running style that stable was getting crowded - and I've had enough of veteran guards and tackles coming here to be overpaid and then hurt all the time.

I thought we did pursue Collins as a UDFA but he just chose Dallas over us though?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well it should have been us that gave him that chance to play one game and become a savior! It was no risk huge reward and we didn't make it happen so it was a mistake. Not too sure about the other two. Stacy wanted out and though I like him and his running style that stable was getting crowded - and I've had enough of veteran guards and tackles coming here to be overpaid and then hurt all the time.

I thought we did pursue Collins as a UDFA but he just chose Dallas over us though?
We did, then we took his bluff and we lost out because he had no interest in playing for Saint Louis. Things happen.

I'm just tired of people acting like this guy is great already and we've made some huge mistake not drafting him that'll haunt us for the rest of our days, moreso than the other 31 teams that passed on him. Lets not forget even the team he eventually ended up with wanted nothing to do with drafting him either.

You'd think people would have learned to be leery about overvaluing a guy before he even plays football.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did, then we took his bluff and we lost out because he had no interest in playing for Saint Louis. Things happen.

I'm just tired of people acting like this guy is great already and we've made some huge mistake not drafting him that'll haunt us for the rest of our days, moreso than the other 31 teams that passed on him. Lets not forget even the team he eventually ended up with wanted nothing to do with drafting him either.

You'd think people would have learned to be leery about overvaluing a guy before he even plays football.
No worries... Brown is already projected as a Pro Bowler!!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Everyone's a pro in hindsight. Had we drafted Collins and it went south you would be on here posting on how dumb they were for taking him in the 1st place.

Furthermore you don't get to speak for EVERYONE there are quite a few of us on here that wanted nothing to do with overpaying any of the vet guards let alone iupati.
Actually I would noy have been upset at the Rams had Collins not signed because it probably would have been Collins fault and at least they would have tried.
Sorry for speaking for everyone, but I do think the majority would have been happy.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, people have already beat the La'el Collins thing to death. As fast as he signed with Dallas, it's pretty obvious that they already had something worked out, which is not something that I would expect the Rams to get away with in the same fashion. Face it, if you want to see how things can play out in the friendly handshake side of the NFL, you only need to look back at the Rams-Dallas game last year for a pretty good in your face reminder.

Finally, we weren't the only team that didn't at least take a chance on the dude in the 7th round, to include the cowboys, so I have to think there's something going on there, which in my opinion is mostly media hype over a guy that didn't even get drafted.

After all, if the guy never plays a down in the NFL, no one is going to write an article about a never was, and say gee, Les Sneed and the 31 GMs sure were wise not to waste a pick on that dude. We sure all look like idiots now, don't we?

On to Zac Stacy, I really liked this guy and I have to cringe at how way this played out ... and that all starts at the draft. I would have preferred they spend this pick on an offensive lineman. We already had Stacy, Cunningham, Pead, and Mason. I could care less about Collins, but I think there is merit in the opinion stated in this article that if you're not going to pursue depth outside of Reynolds and completely rely on the draft you might use that first round pick on a lineman to increase your chances of success in that regard. What is there to say though, Fisher seems to like acquiring running backs through the draft, and they do seem to value to get overly excited about the exciting athletic players in the first round.

So, right or wrong, it's not the direction I would have gone, but I do have to give them credit for having the stones to do what they did, including the trade for Foles and drafting Gurley.

Memphis Ram

Legend

3037438125_catcontrarion_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Meh. La'el Collins didn't even to come here. Forget him. Not like he single handily would've made the Rams into a yearly playoff team.

Zac Stacy didn't play well. Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham had more impactful plays. IDK what the hell the author wanted in a trade. You aren't gonna get high rounder picks for a for a former 5th round pick that didn't play well.

@Amitar everyone on this board loved the Scott Wells, Jake Long, Harvey Dahl, Jason Brown, (I could go on) signings. Not one of them worked out. Evan Mathis or Mike Iupati would probably play a year or 2 then out. Then right back to square 1.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Is this a high school term paper?

This article will accomplish that by highlighting the three majors misses of St. Louis' offseason.

Man I hate the bleacher report.

First off, the article misses the point that it even brings up. Collins was not interested in playing for the Rams. So what... you sign him anyway at a position he would have been pissed off about and put him on a team he would be pissed off playing for? He may be good for Dallas. He wasn't going to be good for the St Louis Rams. It's a good move to not act when you know it would be a mistake for YOUR team.

I have to think the deal with Zac was that he couldn't stay in the game. And it always seemed to be little nicks and bruises. Just a hunch but the coaches might have just been tired of him not wanting to be in because he had a boo boo. I liked Zac. But I didn't think he was someone we could rely on to be the #1 RB of our team. Same with DR. Even after his rookie season, I wasn't buying it. Gurley seems legit. And Tre Mason and Benny are not exactly bad stable mates. And BTW - I really doubt this guy has any idea what was going to be offered for Zac. Take the 7th rounder, let Zac get a decent start somewhere else, and move on with players that want to be here.

It definitely would have been some excitement signing someone like Iupati. But personally, I am tired of chasing the latest FA of the day only to have him underperform his contract. We have Saffold for a veteran presence. We have some other kids that even though they have not played much yet, have been training and practicing with other pros and against our D-line. We brought in what is most likely a starting caliber rookie in Havenstein and maybe even Brown. We have three centers that really can't be any worse than what we saw out of Wells the past two seasons. Yeah - I know - he started over them so they could be worse. But I don't think they will be. Personally, I think signing a huge contract can take away some balance from what needs to be a pretty tight group. Proof will be in the pudding though.

I really don't think we missed on any of the three areas that he thinks were keys to our off season. I think it is more that they had values put on other areas or directions and went with what they felt carried the most value.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Shoulda! Coulda! Woulda! IF! Blah! Blah! Blah! Nothing good can come of looking back at this stuff at this point in time!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
At least we'll find out whether this article was right or wrong.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Only #1....we waste 7th round picks like toilet paper...and I woulda taken him in the 3rd so he & his agent would be happy......

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Many posters here wanted Collins in the FIRST round before all this murder stuff came out. Now hes no big deal and it wasn't a big deal passing on him? When you can get a first round talent in the seventh round and don't do it, it's a mistake. I don't care how butt hurt you all are about him choosing Dallas. It was a mistake to not try and get him. Regardless of whether or not he "WANTED" to play here. And last I heard, we were one of the finalists for his services in UDFA land. And to those that say he wasn't right for us, give me a break. A player of his talent is right for every team.

Now back to the rest of the article. Losing Stacy didn't really bother me, I still like our depth. The virtually zero return hurts though. Too bad we didn't use that extra pick on the guy mentioned above. That would have been a great trade.

I'm cool with the o lineman we have as well. Though Wisniewski went so damn cheap, we should have made a play.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
His points are fair.
Although I don't see them as the 3 most pressing moves we should have made other than maybe Collins.
In truth I am tired of all this prognostication and ready for some real world football.