3 greatest concerns surrounding the 49'ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-greatest-concerns-surrounding-san-francisco-49ers-210900717.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-grea ... 00717.html</a>

COMMENTARY | The San Francisco 49ers found their franchise quarterback, have eight All-Pros returning and made the Super Bowl last year. With head coach Jim Harbaugh leading the charge, there's few holes to poke at.

Expectations remain sky-high for the 49ers in 2013 and beyond, but what are three areas of concern that surround them right now?

3. Depth at Wide Receiver

The trade for Anquan Boldin turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the 49ers. It's scary to think who they would have turned to had they not brought him on board in relation to the Achilles injury suffered by Michael Crabtree. Boldin at least gives them a proven playmaker.

After him, the picture gets cloudy. A.J. Jenkins failed to make a single reception in his first year as a pro, Quinton Patton is only a rookie and Ricardo Lockette lacks experience. Combined, the trio has a total of two career receptions. Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham made their share of contributions last season, but are working their way back from serious knee injuries.

If the 49ers want an efficient passing attack, they'll need someone to shine throughout training camp.

2. Special Teams Kickoff Coverage

Jacoby Jones and the Baltimore Ravens exposed the 49ers' kick return coverage unit in the Super Bowl. The moment both teams exited their locker rooms to start the second half, the speedy return man took back a David Akers kickoff for a 108-yard score. Despite San Francisco's valiant comeback, that play was a major momentum turner for both sides.

The 49ers surrendered 26.9 yards per kick return (second-worst average) in the regular season. The Ravens exploited that weakness to their advantage, which ultimately played a role in San Francisco's defeat.

This offseason, general manager Trent Baalke brought in the likes of Craig Dahl, Raymond Ventrone, Dan Skuta and Kassim Osgood to address this area of need. More specifically, Skuta led the Cincinnati Bengals with 17 total tackles, while Osgood is noted for his coverage skills, making two All-Pro rosters.

Sixth-round draft pick Nick Moody hopes to make his presence felt. Serving as a gunner at Florida State, the 6'1'' linebacker was a mainstay on their punt and kick coverage teams. Even though the odds are stacked against him in making the final roster, he'll provide some competition for the veterans.
San Francisco already sports a strong punt coverage team. Preventing kick returners from breaking off huge gains will make it that much harder for opponents to march through the Patrick Willis-led defense.

1. Play of Secondary

Despite fielding arguably the NFL's best defense, the 49ers have some question marks in the secondary. At safety, Donte Whitner regressed mightily from his 2011 form. According to Pro Football Focus, Whitner allowed quarterbacks to post a 128.5 passer rating while surrendering eight touchdowns. Even though he can lay the wood on incoming ballcarriers, his coverage skills are suspect.

Working beside him will likely be rookie Eric Reid. He showcased his athleticism in college, as he routinely made the big hit and came up the victor in many jump ball battles. On the flip side, his aggressive style of play backfired at times. If Reid tries to make the highlight reel on every snap, it could end up costing the 49ers on certain drives.

Overall, the play at corner was a mixed bag in 2012. Carlos Rogers appeared to have lost a step, but Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver upped their game throughout much of the regular season. However, the three struggled throughout the playoffs.

The addition of cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha may give the secondary a much-needed boost. The 49ers signed him to a one-year deal, which could net him up to $3 million. With no guaranteed salary attached to his contract, there's no harm in seeing what they have in him. Playing beside a strong supporting cast to go along with a change of scenery might actually serve Asomugha well. Still, the Cal product has a ways to go before he sees consistent playing time.

San Francisco presents an appealing combination of veterans and young talent in the secondary. But since Week 15 of last season, the 49ers gave up just over 286 passing yards per game. The 49ers cannot allow opposing receivers to run free if they want to get off to a fast start next season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think our new weapons can exploit that secondary!

This is going to be a great matchup again.

Lesson

Oh, really?
CGI_Ram said:
I think our new weapons can exploit that secondary!

This is going to be a great matchup again.

I agree. Without Golson, I expect a drop off and more Rams domination via the air.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here are 3 more concerns that surround them.

134175837_extra_large_medium.jpg

20120812_kdl_ss1_096_extra_large.jpg

20120812_kdl_ar6_109_extra_large_medium.jpg

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I think klapperdick should be a concern as well. He's good I will give him that much, but I' don't see him ever developing into a truely great qb. Can you sophmore slump? :loser: :loser:

jap

Legend
Afro Ram said:
I think kplapperdick should be a concern as well. He's good I will give him that much, but I' don't see him ever developing into a truely great qb. Can you sophmore slump? :loser: :loser:

Klapper is an Olgetree slam dunk tackle away from an injured 2013 campaign. If he runs away from 'Tree, Jo-Lonn, who put out his predecessor, is waiting on the other side.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Here are 3 more concerns that surround them.

134175837_extra_large_medium.jpg

20120812_kdl_ss1_096_extra_large.jpg

20120812_kdl_ar6_109_extra_large_medium.jpg

And an older secondary is going to keep up with Tavon and Givens how? Look for BQ to bitch slap them also. Fisher will have the whole team keyed up for THE rivalry. Remember, Fish grew up as a Ram fan. He knows the history of the match-up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jap said:
Afro Ram said:
I think kplapperdick should be a concern as well. He's good I will give him that much, but I' don't see him ever developing into a truely great qb. Can you sophmore slump? :loser: :loser:

Klapper is an Olgetree slam dunk tackle away from an injured 2013 campaign. If he runs away from 'Tree, Jo-Lonn, who put out his predecessor, is waiting on the other side.

Sort of like when we rag-dolled RG3 last season. I'd love to see Klapperdick de-cleated.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
Afro Ram said:

Sort of like when we rag-dolled RG3 last season. I'd love to see Klapperdick de-cleated.

:plus1: And then some!!!!!