3-4 DEs - Still Some Talent in FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We released Tyrunn Walker due to the sexual assault investigation. I wonder if the coaches are content with our depth along the DL. There are still some intriguing vets available in FA, including:
Jared Odrick
Sen'Derrick Marks
Vance Walker
Sean Lissemore
Tyson Jackson
Arthur Jones
Glenn Dorsey (more of a NT)
Dan Williams (more of a NT)

Obviously, none of these guys are elite players, but some of them are intriguing to think of as rotational DEs. Walker and Lissemore both have experience in Wade's scheme. We still have some roster slots open, IIRC. I wonder if we see a veteran DL added.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We released Tyrunn Walker due to the sexual assault investigation. I wonder if the coaches are content with our depth along the DL. There are still some intriguing vets available in FA, including:
Jared Odrick
Sen'Derrick Marks
Vance Walker
Sean Lissemore
Tyson Jackson
Arthur Jones
Glenn Dorsey (more of a NT)
Dan Williams (more of a NT)

Obviously, none of these guys are elite players, but some of them are intriguing to think of as rotational DEs. Walker and Lissemore both have experience in Wade's scheme. We still have some roster slots open, IIRC. I wonder if we see a veteran DL added.
Well, according to the Rams Official site, the Roster is down to 84 men now, so, why not!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's so curious to me that the Rams have cut down so far under the player limit. Why? You would think they'd wait for those decisions until after they see guys in pads,. or maybe they feel that the guys with more of a chance to make the 53 man roster should get more snaps with fewer players....

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm more concerned with the depth of the NT's behind Brockers.

I cannot now even name his backup.

If he needs a breather or, God forbid, gets injured I got a feeling we are going to see a steady mix of power runs right at AD and the middle of the Ram defense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams have an interesting roster count/configuration right now. I am very interested in the strategy here.

We do feel vulnerable along the dline after the top guys, on paper anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

If he needs a breather or, God forbid, gets injured I got a feeling we are going to see a steady mix of power runs right at AD and the middle of the Ram defense.

My expectation is that Purcell and Smart would be the two guys behind Brockers.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i quite like the idea of being under the roster limit as it stands ... give us some freedom for any moves we may need to make without cutting players the staff like .. and i guess (not 100%) that it clears out some cap space for a donald deal ?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I guess the coaches don't want to carry un-necessary weight on the roster, and why not. If a guy just doesn't fit, then it's better to cut them there and then, they may get a better opportunity to get on another roster?

I used to have a boss, that if a new employee didn't 'fit' the company in his mind, then they wouldn't last the week. In his mind, it wasn't worth wasting any time, for both parties. One person didn't last 'till 9.30am and that was with a 9.00am start!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I guess I'm more worried about our depth at OLB behind Quinn and Barwin... Ebukam? A rookie? @jrry32 ?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's so curious to me that the Rams have cut down so far under the player limit. Why? You would think they'd wait for those decisions until after they see guys in pads,. or maybe they feel that the guys with more of a chance to make the 53 man roster should get more snaps with fewer players....
In reading your post, it got me to thinking, you may be on to something!! McVay may have come to the conclusion, ' Less Players, more Reps!!' (y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I feel the same way you guy's do! But keep in mind, In 1985 Jack Youngblood was gone, and Kevin Green was un-proven as yet, and the team did pretty well with our 3-4 D! ( They finished 4th best in points allowed - the Team had a 11-5-0 record and we Won the Division!
I have a REALLY Good feeling about our Young LB Corps, and what Wade Phillips will do with them!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess I'm more worried about our depth at OLB behind Quinn and Barwin... Ebukam? A rookie? @jrry32 ?
I think " Samson" Ebukam and Ejuan Price will Take the League by storm this year, and Both be in the running for ' Defensive Rookie Honors'!!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think they cutting down so far before training camp is such a smart move by a new coaching staff.

Almost all of those players is learning a new system, with the exceptions of Kayvon Webster and John Sullivan.

They plays who they didn't feel were up to snuff were cut early so they don't take snaps away from people who actually have a chance.

The more snaps you get in a new system, the better the opportunity you have to learn it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see no need for hunting for any 34 DE's myself. Looks to me we have a load of great looking prospects to start with Brockers & Donald in the front DL.

Ethan Westbrooks 6- 285 26-4 yr was the Ram best pass rusher after Quinn went down.
Matt Longacre 6-3 255 26-3 yr might be a SOLB'er tweener.
Morgan Fox 6-3 275 22-2yr. Has mostly played the interior DL. Has pass rush game.
AJ Jefferson 6-3 280 24-R
Tanzel Smart 6-1 290 22-R Has versatility to play all 3 DL posts. Great burst!
Casey Sayles 6-3 290 21-R Do not write this DL'er off!

Then we all know that I think that Micheal Brockers would be great as a 5tech DE in Wade's D.Then former Pats #1 draft pick Dom Easley is super talented! Once again he would have no issues playing the 5 tech post either. Finally do we really think that Conner Barwin & Rob Quinn will not find their way onto the DL @ one of these DE posts often?

Do you consider Aaron Donald a 34 DE or a 34 DT?:thinking: They say he will play the same position as he did in the 43 D?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Wade's concerned I would think they make a move pretty soon. Could be he likes one or two of the depth options, and if so I definitely trust his judgment.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Jrry32 is becoming a troublemaker, isn't he?

First he starts a thread about acquiring Decker as a WR when we already have tough cuts among our 12 WR's?

Now he starts a DE FA thread?

Just kidding jrry32. Just kidding, man. Lol.

I know it's the football doldrums.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May as well be under the 90 right now, its not like they can put on pads and practice

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Wade's concerned I would think they make a move pretty soon. Could be he likes one or two of the depth options, and if so I definitely trust his judgment.
I think Wade's silence, meaning no more Defensive cuts, will tell us a lot! I like the way our depth looks on Defense going into Camp!
My only concerns are at:
** LDE - Westbrooks? Longacre? Mckinzy? Jefferson?
AND
** RCB - EJ Gaines? Webster? Hill? Countess? Jordan?
I feel these positions, especially IF EJ isn't Healthy, need someone with " That IT Factor"!!