3-4 defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I saw alot of 3-4 defense in the Miami game and was wondering if Williams is going to play more out of the 3-4 than the 4-3 that Fisher traditionaly runs out of. Or was that to get a better look out of the remaining players? any thoughts

jjab360

Legend
I think we'll see some 3-4 looks because it gives us an opportunity for some exotic blitzes, but we'll still be running a base 4-3. We're gonna see some crazy stuff from Williams this year, imo.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
They ran 3-man line ALL NIGHT in Miami. Never seen that before. But we will be a 4-3 team, of a "40" team. Sometimes we will change it up with a 3-man line and sometimes on of the "linebackers or even two of the "linebakers" will be Long and Quinn in a what they call "Ranger"

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
They ran a 3-4 because they were holding out the starters, Hayes and Sims where recovering from health concerns, and most of the uncertainty rested on Westbrooks and Sam anyway.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, most of it was to look at the linebackers.

But, yeah, Williams won't be afraid to throw a 3-4 look at a team now and again.

Question is, will he have the stones to throw that 2-5 Eagle at a team??? That's old school Rams... Well, not Blue and White, but Anaheim and shudderingly bad ownership.

...sorry, I brought that last part up.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
hmmmmm, I never saw 4 LB's on the field....maybe there were on some plays... but I saw 3 safeties on the field with the 3 DL on many plays...... Alexander, Bryant and Davis

It seemed more like a 3-3-5

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
hmmmmm, I never saw 4 LB's on the field....maybe there were on some plays... but I saw 3 safeties on the field with the 3 DL on many plays...... Alexander, Bryant and Davis

It seemed more like a 3-3-5
Same with me, but CoachO says there were times when there were 4 backers. I have not rewatched the game and on TV angles it's hard to tell, it's not like NFL replay where you can see sideline and EZ views. But that first drive, which Mia was in hurry up, wit looke like 33 nickle to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They did run a 3-4, and Fisher mentioned in his pregame and post game interviews that they switched up the scheme for that night ONLY to get a look at some of the younger players. They had a shortage of D-Linemen, as evident by the fact that Sam played over 60 snaps, Westbrook played almost 60, with Harlan and K. Brown being the other DL available. They also wanted to get a look at LBs. You saw Wilson, Sabino, Hill Steward on the field ALOT.

While I wouldn't be surprised to see some of it on a limited basis throughout the season, don't be surprised to see a 5-3 look on occasion as well. They worked on that a few days at camp.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Coach Williams has 47 packages, and 3-4 is one of them 5-3 is one, we ran 5-man line last year, too, especially against zone blocking teams. I htink all we are saying is watching the game, it didn't look like a 3-4, is looked like more of a nickle. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying I didn't notice it and I was looking as hard as I could. I take your word for it that there was some 3-4.

jjab360

Legend
Coach Williams has 47 packages, and 3-4 is one of them 5-3 is one, we ran 5-man line last year, too, especially against zone blocking teams. I htink all we are saying is watching the game, it didn't look like a 3-4, is looked like more of a nickle. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying I didn't notice it and I was looking as hard as I could. I take your word for it that there was some 3-4.
I just rewatched the first quarter of the game and it was pretty much all 3-4. I guess sometimes it's just hard to catch that 4th linebacker because they were moving him all over the place. Here's a link to the game if you wanna see for yourself:
http://noonkick.com/2014-nfl-preseason-st-louis-rams-at-miami-dolphins/

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They ran a ton of the 30-Nickel. Not saying they didn't. But there were times they had a 3-4 look as well.