3-4 Defense & Defensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Indianapolis+Colts+v+Los+Angeles+Rams+Zl348dDKsiSl.jpg

Tyrunn Walker has been a pleasant surprise with his new role at Nose Tackle.

I am adjusting to this defense as the Rams have run the 4-3 for a very long time (since 1991) when John Robinson brought in Jeff Fisher to switch the Rams to a 4-3 and the Rams have been running it ever sense...So this has been an adjustment and it seems the Los Angeles Rams have been tweaking the defensive line each week as well. My issue with the 3-4 is that you can gash that defense with the run, however, when the scheme is running correctly, it seems to create more opportunities for turnovers so there are a few things I want to focus on:

The defensive line IMO, is better with Donald, Walker & Brockers starting up front. Donald is on another level and as @Juice posted in another thread I truly hope the contract gets worked out as he should always be donning horns. Michael Brockers has been outstanding this year and I'm glad that DL Coach Bill Johnson & DC Wade Phillips realized that Brockers can be better utilized outside and that has freed up the big man to make more plays and not be clogged up at Nose Tackle. Which brings us to that position and many have posted that in Phillips' Scheme, it does not require a big ugly at NT, however, I feel much better with Tyrunn Walker at that position than Tanzel Smart. Smart is a diminutive defensive tackle and relies on his quickness, but at 290lbs (and that is being generous) seems to get engulfed at the point of attack, that run by Prescott for the two point conversion against Travis Frederick was an excellent example although holding was called, albeit questionable.

Tyrunn Walker much bigger at 305, but at 27 more developed and seems a better fit for the scheme and was with DL Coach Bill Johnson in New Orleans, so he understands what Johnson is looking for and has been one of those under the radar additions that has benefited the Rams in many ways with giving them the ability to move Brockers outside. Seems once Walker came in at NT after the run by Fournette the line played much better, Smart just seems like he should back up Donald IMO. Also Ethan Westbrooks really has not showcased much, in fact, Morgan Fox makes more plays when given the opportunity so although Westbrooks has avoided having debris tossed his way from former defensive line coach Mike Waufle, he has not truly made any plays so far this season. That rounds out the DL as I expect next season the Rams to bring Walker back and to draft a bigger NT later moving Smart to back up Donald or Brockers and replace Westbrooks with another draft choice or low budget signing.

Now just a quick synopsis at linebacker at OLB the Rams have two in Barwin & Quinn that are pass rushers first and linebackers second. If you go back to the days under Fritz Shurmur the Rams had Kevin Greene & Mike Wilcher with Greene being the pass rusher and Wicher the linebacker first and pass rusher second, however, Wilcher very good rusher in his own right. Quinn seems like a fish out of water in this scheme as on run plays, he can't seem to hold the edge and I feel much better with Matt Longacre or Samson Ebukam on the field on run downs, Barwin had his best game last week, but one would surmise, he is most likely one and done with the Los Angeles Rams this year, albeit, Barwin has been better than Quinn against the run, but not that much better.

I look for major changes at that position next season with Quinn & Barwin not being part of the group with the possibility of Ebukam starting on one side and either a draft choice or major free agent signing being on the other side as well. Overall it has been an adjustment not only moving to the 3-4, but adjusting to the personalities of Wade Phillips & Bill Johnson over the likes of Gregg Williams & Mike Waufle. I understand the Millennials respond much better to self discovery and encouragement as opposed to the KITA (kick in the ass) method of supervision or management, but once in a while, you have to challenge the group and I'm sure with the success of Phillips that is happening and the defense has been improving, but with many challenges looming on the horizon one would hope that this unit has still not played there best game yet.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was openly and loudly wondering why the hell we hired Phillips in the first place after that 75 yard TD by Fournette. We were getting gashed for few plays after that by Ivory, etc...Adjustments were made and the bleeding stopped, but wasn't most of that stuffing the box so that Fournette couldn't breath? In the Card game in London we won't be able to plug up the middle and dare Palmer to beat us, because he can with Larry Fitzgerald. I am still not sold on the 3-4 vs the 4-3 we had last year. I can say that the personal fouls are reduced under Wade., so it's wait and see for me...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Indianapolis+Colts+v+Los+Angeles+Rams+Zl348dDKsiSl.jpg

Tyrunn Walker has been a pleasant surprise with his new role at Nose Tackle.

I am adjusting to this defense as the Rams have run the 4-3 for a very long time (since 1991) when John Robinson brought in Jeff Fisher to switch the Rams to a 4-3 and the Rams have been running it ever sense...So this has been an adjustment and it seems the Los Angeles Rams have been tweaking the defensive line each week as well. My issue with the 3-4 is that you can gash that defense with the run, however, when the scheme is running correctly, it seems to create more opportunities for turnovers so there are a few things I want to focus on:

The defensive line IMO, is better with Donald, Walker & Brockers starting up front. Donald is on another level and as @Juice posted in another thread I truly hope the contract gets worked out as he should always be donning horns. Michael Brockers has been outstanding this year and I'm glad that DL Coach Bill Johnson & DC Wade Phillips realized that Brockers can be better utilized outside and that has freed up the big man to make more plays and not be clogged up at Nose Tackle. Which brings us to that position and many have posted that in Phillips' Scheme, it does not require a big ugly at NT, however, I feel much better with Tyrunn Walker at that position than Tanzel Smart. Smart is a diminutive defensive tackle and relies on his quickness, but at 290lbs (and that is being generous) seems to get engulfed at the point of attack, that run by Prescott for the two point conversion against Travis Frederick was an excellent example although holding was called, albeit questionable.

Tyrunn Walker much bigger at 305, but at 27 more developed and seems a better fit for the scheme and was with DL Coach Bill Johnson in New Orleans, so he understands what Johnson is looking for and has been one of those under the radar additions that has benefited the Rams in many ways with giving them the ability to move Brockers outside. Seems once Walker came in at NT after the run by Fournette the line played much better, Smart just seems like he should back up Donald IMO. Also Ethan Westbrooks really has not showcased much, in fact, Morgan Fox makes more plays when given the opportunity so although Westbrooks has avoided having debris tossed his way from former defensive line coach Mike Waufle, he has not truly made any plays so far this season. That rounds out the DL as I expect next season the Rams to bring Walker back and to draft a bigger NT later moving Smart to back up Donald or Brockers and replace Westbrooks with another draft choice or low budget signing.

Now just a quick synopsis at linebacker at OLB the Rams have two in Barwin & Quinn that are pass rushers first and linebackers second. If you go back to the days under Fritz Shurmur the Rams had Kevin Greene & Mike Wilcher with Greene being the pass rusher and Wicher the linebacker first and pass rusher second, however, Wilcher very good rusher in his own right. Quinn seems like a fish out of water in this scheme as on run plays, he can't seem to hold the edge and I feel much better with Matt Longacre or Samson Ebukam on the field on run downs, Barwin had his best game last week, but one would surmise, he is most likely one and done with the Los Angeles Rams this year, albeit, Barwin has been better than Quinn against the run, but not that much better.

I look for major changes at that position next season with Quinn & Barwin not being part of the group with the possibility of Ebukam starting on one side and either a draft choice or major free agent signing being on the other side as well. Overall it has been an adjustment not only moving to the 3-4, but adjusting to the personalities of Wade Phillips & Bill Johnson over the likes of Gregg Williams & Mike Waufle. I understand the Millennials respond much better to self discovery and encouragement as opposed to the KITA (kick in the ass) method of supervision or management, but once in a while, you have to challenge the group and I'm sure with the success of Phillips that is happening and the defense has been improving, but with many challenges looming on the horizon one would hope that this unit has still not played there best game yet.
I like Walker @ NT too. But Walker can play the new 5 tech DE Brockers post too. Tyrunn Walker is a UFA in March & I very positive on resigning him for a couple of seasons. Tanzel Smart is on board for many seasons. Another nice looking NT stored on the PS is the 6-3 315 pounder Omarius Bryant. So this teams DL is in good shape for the near future. Westbrooks & Fox are both signed up for 2018 too. No ideal what Dom Easley is going to do ?? If he will attempt to make a comeback or just retire his knees now.

Wade might have his future Edge Rushers(OLB's) already here. Matt Longacre is very solid & will need a new contract but he is a RFA should be ready to start next season. 2017 draft selections Samsom Ebukam & Ejuan Price were both drafted by Wade to be his future ER's. Then there Carlos Thompson who could be offered a contract rather easy & cheap.

The Defensive unit that needs an infusion next season is the secondary!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
For future refernece, millenials are anyone born between 1980 and 2000. Its a huge age group. Millenials have been in the NFL for awhile now, so i dont think its as black and white when it comes to training methods. As a millennial, ill take the "kick them in the ass" method.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Huge fan of Walker, he is a solid piece to this D line, and I say we resign him to help solidify this line for years to come.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn seems like a fish out of water in this scheme as on run plays, he can't seem to hold the edge

This narrative is played out, after the first game Quinn has been holding the edge very well. He was a good run defender in the 4-3 it took him a while to get it, but the last 3 games he has done an awesome job of containing the edge.

If you look at Quinn when he is in the game it’s funny because he is mostly in on 1st and 2nd downs he start rushing the passer more on 3rd downs in the 3 rd and 4th quarter.

Most of every big run against us this year have came straight up the gut

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you look at Quinn when he is in the game it’s funny because he is mostly in on 1st and 2nd downs he start rushing the passer more on 3rd downs in the 3 rd and 4th quarter.

Maybe so, but I just don't believe he's comfortable in this scheme, ridiculous penalty called on him in the Jacksonville game, but the whistle did blow and he seems to just coming up short on the pass rush, hopefully Quinn keeps improving, but again seems that Ebukam & Longacre make plays win they are in the game.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe so, but I just don't believe he's comfortable in this scheme, ridiculous penalty called on him in the Jacksonville game, but the whistle did blow and he seems to just coming up short on the pass rush, hopefully Quinn keeps improving, but again seems that Ebukam & Longacre make plays win they are in the game.
Yeah I don’t think he comfortable yet either but he has been getting better. His pressures are there and the sacks will come. I do like the rotation they have him on though

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This narrative is played out, after the first game Quinn has been holding the edge very well. He was a good run defender in the 4-3 it took him a while to get it, but the last 3 games he has done an awesome job of containing the edge.

You make good points and are making me see things a little different. Thanks for sharing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
For future refernece, millenials are anyone born between 1980 and 2000. Its a huge age group. Millenials have been in the NFL for awhile now, so i dont think its as black and white when it comes to training methods. As a millennial, ill take the "kick them in the ass" method.

I prefer to think of millennial as more of a mindset than an age group. It's not like there's any actual science behind it. It's guessing and the age range changes depending on who you ask.

The coaches should be using the method that works for the players, not some mystical generation nonsense. They seem to be doing ok so far though.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I prefer to think of millennial as more of a mindset than an age group. It's not like there's any actual science behind it. It's guessing and the age range changes depending on who you ask.

The coaches should be using the method that works for the players, not some mystical generation nonsense. They seem to be doing ok so far though.

Millenials are the generation after generation X. We are the children of the baby boomers. Doesnt have anything to do with a mindset, but there is a certain mindset that seems to be attached to the label. Being born in the mid 80's I have absolutely nothing in common with these high school/college kids running around today. Yet we are in the same demographic cohert.

I totally agree with your second paragraph though.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I see a lot of complaints about Quinn trying to run to the outside of the tackle.
If he went inside, would that be loss of containment?
If he goes too far outside, is there not a running lane or a possible lane for another blitzer?

Just thinking reasons why and if he really is out of position as much as we see.