2nd Round | Pick 57, Rams select: T Rob Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tom Weaver

UDFA
Hello every I am not a Rams fan - I am a Redskins fan just to let you all know up front, but Rob attended the same high school my kids went to and graduated in my daughters class. I was hoping he would fall to the 3rd or 4th round and the Skins would get him. I have followed him through out college. He is a beast you all are getting a solid smart hard working player that can start day 1. He has never been hurt and was the captain of the team in Wisconsin. Also on top of everything he is a CLASS act.

He played basketball and football in high school - his twin brother played just basketball (rumored to be going to Europe to play there )

With all the talent you all are putting on your OLINE you all should be a top 3 OLINE in the NFL for years.

Glad to see he went to a good place.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd heard that. Titans REALLY liked him for their pick at the top of the 3rd. So, he wasn't a reach at all. Really, we only beat the Titans by a few picks. They couldn't have been happy.

Tee hee.

Not that I'd be too bothered to have outwitted the Titan's front-office judging by the lack of talent on that team....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You know one thing this Saturday morning....:coffee: I love this selection from bottom to the very top near 6ft 8 inches:D. Guess Paul Boudreau was really missing the junk yard dog in his OL that Harvey Dahl had in him:sneaky:.

Since we see that Snead & Fisher have invested heavy in a fine line of high elite horses (RB's)that now reside in the Rams stables. The top 10 selection of Gurley shows just how bad the Rams want to run the ball in the NFC west for now on. They invested a top of the draft #2 first rder. in a mauling OLT & then returned this draft to take what could be the next elite RB in the NFL.

Now they reach in the tree tops for Havenstein to match up with Robinson....whats not to like here. Sure many had Haven as a 3rd to 4th rder but any OT with any value went fast & high in 2015. Flowers was rated a late first rder & went in the top 10!

Yes I have concerns :notsure: with both starting bookends Robinson & Havenstein but its now up to Boudreau to get those limited pass protection skills up to par:lifting:! Boudreau has the talent now:snicker:.

Since I was not flying the Joe Barksdale flag after he turned down the Rams offer I should have a comments on that .... yes the present skill level in pass protection is similar to Joe Barksdale however this brand new 20 yr old rookie has yet to get on the field where the 27 yr old Barksdale has had 4 NFL seasons to show that he does not have the ability :double:to master the pass protection technique in him & I watched as the 2014 season went on that JB flatly regressed in 2014. I believe Boudreau was fully aware of that & had voiced it :coach:fully to the his bosses.

I look at it this way JB let OL issues to his left affect his job that was in front of him. JB failed channel out that mess & just do his job..fulfill his responsibilities....he simply failed then want very big reward for that failure in an bloated Ram contract:hellno:.:huh:

:welcome: Rob Havenstein!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The Rams picks are starting to grow on me. We are going to see a lot of running the football and lots of playaction. Frankenstein is going to be a great addition to our OL and help with that plan.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Between Fisher's history and Williams' history, the Rams often seem to know what the Titans are targeting in the draft. So this should put to rest the idea that "The Rams could have gotten Havenstein later". He may or may not work out, but if the Rams wanted him they drafted him in the right spot.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
My thoughts.

1) Draft reach? I don't think so. I think Haverstein was one of those guys that really impressed coaches at Pro Day and Senior Bowl, and he climbed the team draft boards somewhat under the radar. The Rams were probably already targeting Haverstein with their early 2nd, gambled that he could be had later, and to their credit traded back and picked up the extra 3rd, extra 6th, still got their man.

2) Rams fit? This is the big win with Haverstein. This guy was the best run blocker on THE dominant running offense. Also, rather than find a big finesse LT type to convert into a RT, Snisher just went all in on a real RT, finding a guy who is already a RT, knows and lives the position. As much as we talk about Ts being interchangeable, there are distinct differences between the two, especially in run oriented offenses. Haverstein is a RT, and a damn good one.

3) Bench press. 16? Yeah that concerned me a bit. But he lifted 20 at his pro day. Isn't 20 still bad? Well, Brandon Scherff aka Mr Mr Big Muscles With Short Arms only did 23 reps (long arms hurt bench press numbers). I'm betting that Haverstein also lost some of his press strength training for 40 combine times getting his weight down to 321. End of the day, he's a mountain of a man with great functional strength. Tape don't lie!

Look the Rams picks, and there is no question where they are taking the team. A steady diet of power running game, consistently win the battle at the point of attack. Play action fakes and draws. High percentage passes with occasional deep shots.

Teams will know on Monday that they played the Rams on Sunday.

PS - if you haven't seen the tape on the guy, draft breakdown shows compressed complete games. I watched all of the 2014 Nebraska and LSU games
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/rob-havenstein/
  • Very clean, very technical, very proficient.
  • Uses very deliberate technique and a distinctive little hip twist to protect his inside shoulder
  • Shuffles nicely in pass-pro and punches speed rushers
  • Massive masssive massive. Always wins at the point of attack. Gets on opponents and engulfs them. Finishes his blocks, plays through the whistle.
  • Gets to the 2nd level and gets on his guy
  • Just a tough guy to have to face all day, knowing that he's going to be coming after you 30-40 times a game.
JUNKMAN gives the Haverstein pick (including the trade down) a big THUMBS UP! (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My thoughts.

1) Draft reach? I don't think so. I think Haverstein was one of those guys that really impressed coaches at Pro Day and Senior Bowl, and he climbed the team draft boards somewhat under the radar. The Rams were probably already targeting Haverstein with their early 2nd, gambled that he could be had later, and to their credit traded back and picked up the extra 3rd, extra 6th, still got their man.

2) Rams fit? This is the big win with Haverstein. This guy was the best run blocker on THE dominant running offense. Also, rather than find a big finesse LT type to convert into a RT, Snisher just went all in on a real RT, finding a guy who is already a RT, knows and lives the position. As much as we talk about Ts being interchangeable, there are distinct differences between the two, especially in run oriented offenses. Haverstein is a RT, and a damn good one.

3) Bench press. 16? Yeah that concerned me a bit. But he lifted 20 at his pro day. Isn't 20 still bad? Well, Brandon Scherff aka Mr Mr Big Muscles With Short Arms only did 23 reps (long arms hurt bench press numbers). I'm betting that Haverstein also lost some of his press strength training for 40 combine times getting his weight down to 321. End of the day, he's a mountain of a man with great functional strength. Tape don't lie!

Look the Rams picks, and there is no question where they are taking the team. A steady diet of power running game, consistently win the battle at the point of attack. Play action fakes and draws. High percentage passes with occasional deep shots.

Teams will know on Monday that they played the Rams on Sunday.

PS - if you haven't seen the tape on the guy, draft breakdown shows compressed complete games. I watched all of the 2014 Nebraska and LSU games
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/rob-havenstein/
  • Very clean, very technical, very proficient.
  • Uses very deliberate technique and a distinctive little hip twist to protect his inside shoulder
  • Shuffles nicely in pass-pro and punches speed rushers
  • Massive masssive massive. Always wins at the point of attack. Gets on opponents and engulfs them. Finishes his blocks, plays through the whistle.
  • Gets to the 2nd level and gets on his guy
  • Just a tough guy to have to face all day, knowing that he's going to be coming after you 30-40 times a game.
JUNKMAN gives the Haverstein pick (including the trade down) a big THUMBS UP! (y)

Anyone will tell you that when your arms are over 34 inches...the bench is not a good indication of overall power. Same can be said of the over 34 inch arms of Barrett Jones.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bench press not a concern for me....Come on guys anybody who's lifted understands that taller guys are not as good on the BP because of there length.

In fact when I bench being 6'2 I take a wide grip to shorten the push back up. He came back with 20 reps later on and Rock Gullickson (Strength & Conditioning Coach) will get him stronger.

Overall he produces when he plays and he's durable. Just overall solid game. We will get to see how he handles some quality defensive ends in practice.

Day two Rams took guys with high football IQ's and I've learned in my professional career surrounding yourself with smart people sure beats the alternative.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hello every I am not a Rams fan - I am a Redskins fan just to let you all know up front, but Rob attended the same high school my kids went to and graduated in my daughters class. I was hoping he would fall to the 3rd or 4th round and the Skins would get him. I have followed him through out college. He is a beast you all are getting a solid smart hard working player that can start day 1. He has never been hurt and was the captain of the team in Wisconsin. Also on top of everything he is a CLASS act.

He played basketball and football in high school - his twin brother played just basketball (rumored to be going to Europe to play there )

With all the talent you all are putting on your OLINE you all should be a top 3 OLINE in the NFL for years.

Glad to see he went to a good place.
Thank you very much and welcome! Hope you guys get some things fixed as well. I appreciate you stopping by and giving us a first hand on what we have. (y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmmm......
I had him as more of a 3rd to 4th, but he can play. He anchors well, and uses his length well. Smart kid. Not athletic, can get stronger. High football IQ. He's one of those guys that just got the job done.
Yes, he is a very smart kid...I love that. The athletic ability concerns me. Especially if it relates to stiff hips & ankles. Could be a problem later on....And he can play....Still was a reach, but from all the comments I see why, the Titans were gonna snag him.

Obviously the team preferred him over a lot of OL still out there that others were clamoring for: Clemmings, Collins, Cann, etc
I'd hope they didn't like him better than Collins due to ability. That would say to me they don't know what they're looking at. In fact, as I sit here today, I hope we still draft Clemmings & Collins...Tonight. Got my fingers crossed.

Flowers was rated a late first rder & went in the top 10!
Yeah, by some...If you look at the guy, in this draft, it was easy to see a top 12 talent....I'd have taken him at 10 with no worries. Bet the Rams would have too.....

Bench press. 16? Yeah that concerned me a bit. But he lifted 20 at his pro day. Isn't 20 still bad? Well, Brandon Scherff aka Mr Mr Big Muscles With Short Arms only did 23 reps (long arms hurt bench press numbers).

Anyone will tell you that when your arms are over 34 inches...the bench is not a good indication of overall power. Same can be said of the over 34 inch arms of Barrett Jones.

Bench press not a concern for me....Come on guys anybody who's lifted understands that taller guys are not as good on the BP because of there length.
I might as well use him since I've had a prior comment on Flowers, 34 1/2 inch arms, with 37 bench press reps. I say hard work shows up. Benching isn't everything, but it shows much more than strength. A good indicator of power (strength applied quickly) are cleans, squats, and displayed in jumps. And of course, game tape.

Final eval on Havenstein, we reached a bit, but I see we needed to...I hope we reach again and grab Collins & Clemmings today.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Demoff said they go for high ceilings. They feel confident that their coaches can coach them up. Havenstein isn't a high ceiling guy for sure. Hope he can be a solid road grader at RT.
He sounds to me like Barksdale, with a bit more upside in pass blocking.

We wanted big uglies. We got 2 very big ones.
Man, I hope they're ready to play early this season.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
CEBN1ctVEAAY2AF.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He sounds to me like Barksdale, with a bit more upside in pass blocking.

We wanted big uglies. We got 2 very big ones.
Man, I hope they're ready to play early this season.
But, he does have some upside. He already has real functional strength, but he's not topped out. Dude could wrestle a grizzly bear. He needs to get in better shape, which he has worked really hard to do that. Drills and technique can improve his foot speed a little.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dahl was the first guy that came to mind when we drafted The Steiner.
you know Mojo Harvey had always been a ORT & just could not win a starting job until Boudreau had a open OG spot & the rest is history.....yes sir Boudreau sure likes a mean big dog with a big bite that bites & goes to even past the whistle.:heh:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
So I watched some games of him last night and I really don't know. I want to get my hands on some footage from those senior bowl practices where he REALLY shined supposedly.

In gameplay (from 2014 only), I'm not really seeing anything too special. From the physical standpoint, I'm not seeing the aggressiveness. I'm seeing someone who gives up easily on plays, and used his body/frame to get by in college. Not a lot of lower body strength or bend for that matter. 400 pounds or not, I'm VERY worried about his leverage.

Positives are that he's smart though, and has solid technique. If he can get into decent shape, and someone can slap him in the face before he takes the field, he could turn into a player. Training camp should be a lot of fun watching them try to mold this kid.

Another positive is that I'm not a NFL scout, just a guy watching youtube videos on his computer. So yeah, there's that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So I watched some games of him last night and I really don't know. I want to get my hands on some footage from those senior bowl practices where he REALLY shined supposedly.

In gameplay (from 2014 only), I'm not really seeing anything too special. From the physical standpoint, I'm not seeing the aggressiveness. I'm seeing someone who gives up easily on plays, and used his body/frame to get by in college. Not a lot of lower body strength or bend for that matter. 400 pounds or not, I'm VERY worried about his leverage.

Positives are that he's smart though, and has solid technique. If he can get into decent shape, and someone can slap him in the face before he takes the field, he could turn into a player. Training camp should be a lot of fun watching them try to mold this kid.

Another positive is that I'm not a NFL scout, just a guy watching youtube videos on his computer. So yeah, there's that.
I'll tell you one thing about the Senior Bowl practices. He'd take a rep, and then get coached, and he would apply it to the rest of his reps. I think the coaches loved that.