2nd Round | Pick 57, Rams select: T Rob Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a big expert on linemen, but from the various comments he seems to be a guy who will tear a hole in DL when run blocking, and knows how to slow down pass rushers effectively without cheating, even if he looks clumsy doing so. I can live with that.

In terms of his being a reach - virtually every commentary I've read going into the draft said that there would be huge discrepancies in how teams evaluate players after the first 7 or so picks. So I don't know if anybody can really say that he would have been there when the Rams next picked.

RamBill

Legend
Total breakdown: Rams draft OT Rob Havenstein in second round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-rams-draft-ot-rob-havenstein-in-second-round

The pick: Rob Havenstein, offensive tackle, Wisconsin

My take: The Rams had no choice but to start bolstering the offensive line and give running back Todd Gurley some powerful blockers to open up running lanes. They did it in a big way with Havenstein, who is listed at 6-foot-8, 321 pounds, and comes from the ultimate in power rushing attacks at Wisconsin. Havenstein probably needs some work in pass protection but should be competent enough to step in at right tackle right away. The Rams continue to show their commitment to maximizing their run game so it's hard to find fault in continuing to invest in that endeavor.

Been around the block: Havenstein comes to St. Louis with no shortage of playing experience, which figures to be important if the Rams expect him to step in as a starter at right tackle right away. Havenstein played in 54 games with 42 starts for the Badgers, including 41 consecutive starts at right tackle over the last three years. He was one of the key pieces to a line that paved the way for the Badgers to rush for a school-record 320.1 yards per game in 2014.

Whither Barksdale?: If Havenstein is to take over the right tackle job, that could spell the end of Joe Barksdale's time in St. Louis. Barksdale remains on the free-agent market but the Rams have kept in touch with him throughout the offseason with the idea that he could eventually return at a rate lower than he initially sought. Given the investment in Havenstein and the presence of Garrett Reynolds as the swing tackle, it's possible that a reunion with Barksdale might no longer be in the cards.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would love to say I know more about him but I am learning on the fly. The one thing I know Is he was the leader of an OL that was and usually always is beast. It is hard to find things not to like.
Has he missed a start either? I'm not seeing anything, but I'm on my phone. Looks like he's been relatively healthy

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I would love to say I know more about him but I am learning on the fly. The one thing I know I he was the leader of an OL that was and usually always is beast. It is hard to find things not to like.

We need to try and get our hands on the senior bowl film, and especially the drills/practices.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think this guy is a little underrated. He's a bit of a reach but a very nice fit so whatever. Jeff Fisher type RT through and through, big and physical, tough and I like that he's durable. Nice pick IMO and badly needed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like @Akrasian said, we all heard leading up to the draft that after the top elite players that teams all valued the rest of the next two rounds differently.

My guess is that when Fisher and Snead were watching film on Melvin Gordon they kept noticing the huge holes that Robbie was opening up for him. Every team looks for their own idea of what they want in a position. Havenstein must have fit the Rams idea because there were still other OTs on the board to choose from, that draft pundits claimed were higher rated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like @Akrasian said, we all heard leading up to the draft that after the top elite players that teams all valued the rest of the next two rounds differently.

My guess is that when Fisher and Snead were watching film on Melvin Gordon they kept noticing the huge holes that Robbie was opening up for him. Every team looks for their own idea of what they want in a position. Havenstein must have fit the Rams idea because there were still other OTs on the board to choose from, that draft pundits claimed were higher rated.

I've got no qualms with this pick. The Rams chose not to swing for the fences. They went with the safe pick. But I think the guy will be a solid RT for us. They chose to hedge their bets after taking a risk on Gurley. And I'm sure they loved him for our scheme and feel he's pro ready.

Moostache

Rookie
This pick bothered me the least of the 4 so far.

Gurley - ACL still making me think "Derrick Rose" instead of "Adrian Petersen", but we will see
Brown - Wait, who?
Mannion - Gamble on Hundley instead...at least he can move...

Havenstein is an excellent run blocking compliment to Robinson.
Obviously the Rams think they have their bookend Tackles to run a ground and pound now.

I am pulling for Barrett Jones to be healthy enough to play. Avoid injuries, grab some more depth with Round 4...get lucky with Gurley making a full recovery to pair with Mason in a dual-headed monster, slide Kendricks into the backfield and run power I...:(...it won't be exciting, but maybe they can win more than 7 games for a change.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I've got no qualms with this pick. The Rams chose not to swing for the fences. They went with the safe pick. But I think the guy will be a solid RT for us. They chose to hedge their bets after taking a risk on Gurley. And I'm sure they loved him for our scheme and feel he's pro ready.
I'm surprised to hear Rams draft pick and "pro ready" in the same statement.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Loving this pick, big, durable tough RT, our bookend tackles are in place for the next 10 years. Can't wait to see the holes GRob and Have' punch out for our RBs.

Well done messurs Snead, Fisher & Bourdeu :)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Just watched the Nebraska @ Wisconsin game, my expert in depth takeaway is "I like the pick".

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd heard that. Titans REALLY liked him for their pick at the top of the 3rd. So, he wasn't a reach at all. Really, we only beat the Titans by a few picks. They couldn't have been happy.

Tee hee.

FRO

Legend
I'm surprised to hear Rams draft pick and "pro ready" in the same statement.
Demoff said they go for high ceilings. They feel confident that their coaches can coach them up. Havenstein isn't a high ceiling guy for sure. Hope he can be a solid road grader at RT.