2nd Round | Pick 57, Rams select: T Rob Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Offensive lineman. I can live with that.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Good God man we could have had Cann and This guy. Now Cann will be gone by the next pick

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Dude is HUGE. Looks nasty. I don't know shit about him. But I'll take it.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Someone talk me into getting excited about this pick. Is he going to be able to stick at tackle? 6-7 is tall for a guard but his pass blocking is meh, yes?

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
Not a sexy pick. But it was much needed. Haven't heard much about him though

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I had him as more of a 3rd to 4th, but he can play. He anchors well, and uses his length well. Smart kid. Not athletic, can get stronger. High football IQ. He's one of those guys that just got the job done.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/rob-havenstein?id=2552363

OT/ROB HAVENSTEIN

6' 7" 321 lbs.

OVERVIEW

Started in 42 of his 54 games played. Considered the unquestioned leader of the Wisconsin offense. Came into Wisconsin at almost 390 pounds and has steadily worked his weight down during his time there. Weighed in at 332 pounds at Senior Bowl and dropped to 321 by the combine. Named first-team All-American by AFCA and named first-team All-Big Ten in 2014, starting all 14 games at right tackle and opening gaping holes for teammate Melvin Gordon.

In 2013, named second-team All-Big Ten while starting every game at right tackle. Started every game in 2012 at right tackle as a sophomore. Played in 13 games in 2011 and redshirted in 2010. In high school in Maryland, named first-team all-state as a senior team captain and lettered in both football and basketball.

PRO DAY RESULTS

Bench press: 20 reps of 225 pounds

STRENGTHS

Massive tackle with very functional length. Looks oafish, but feet are much better than the eye expects. Takes quick steps and good angles for proper positioning to wall off defenders on gap plays. Above-average power in run game and runs legs to create movement. Drive blocker by nature. Block winner at point of attack. Uses well-timed punch and has adequate foot quickness to set out to edge speed. Aggressive, play-finishing demeanor on the field. Plus body control and balance on second-level blocks with ability to sustain. Can brace against power and has feet to counter inside moves in pass pro. Shows ability to mirror and has a wide "success zone."

WEAKNESSES

Stiffness in knees causes him to come out of stance way too tall. Is almost never under the pads of opponent. Too often has to sumo wrestle at impact to get defender centered. Initial lateral quickness not good enough to count on him with back-side cut-offs. Keeps hands too low pre-punch. Unathletic build with zero bubble. Some scouts worry about stiffness becoming an even greater problem after first few years in the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone talk me into getting excited about this pick. Is he going to be able to stick at tackle? 6-7 is tall for a guard but his pass blocking is meh, yes?

Sounds like he was Boudreau's man, however.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
In Boudreau I trust. The last time a position coach basically made a high pick for us, the Rams took Aaron Donald

FRO

Legend
I didn't think he was a second round player. He is a limited athlete. He fits our scheme well though. Hope he works out.

Athos

Legend
Yikes. Havenstein is a poor value in the 2nd. I fear he gets beat like a drum in the NFC West if he starts right away.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yikes. Havenstein is a poor value in the 2nd. I fear he gets beat like a drum in the NFC West if he starts right away.
I don't think he was that poor of a value. Obviously the team preferred him over a lot of OL still out there that others were clamoring for: Clemmings, Collins, Cann, etc