24 Hours of Greg Cosell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bills top 2 priorities likely OT + WR. Question becomes what they perceive as value as #10. Do they see Floyd/Reiff worthy of 10th pick?
10m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Discussing position value always fascinating. Is anything 100%? Always easy to talk abstactly re: position value. Teams must line up + play.
13m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Asked re: McNutt. Long strider w/build up speed. Question will be play speed + explosion as vertical WR. Can he win isolation routes v man?
18m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Used to be bothered by QB throwing motions if awkward or different. Because of that was totally wrong about Rivers. Don't focus on it much.
19m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Asked about pro days re: QB. Never raise my opinion re: throwing in shorts + T-shirt to own WR in controlled situation. Patently absurd.
22m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Don't see Roethlisberger/Osweiler comparison at all. Osweiler does not have those kind of movement skills. Plus not as consistnetly accurate
25m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Always easy to say you need a great QB to win consistently. What happens when you don't have one. How do you approach draft + build team?
27m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Asked about Foles. Slow arm speed limits driving the ball. Heavy feet. Needs space to throw. Showed better traits when had time + space.
31m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Top QB always camouflage, + compensate for any OL weaknesses. Saw that w/P. Manning for yrs. He was reason for few sacks more than OL.
33m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Often comes down to how best teams can camouflage, + compensate for weaknesses + limitations they have on each side of ball.
34m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Always reminded of being told by someone that no need to take QB in 1st rd because Brady made it as 6th rd pick. Always easy after the fact.
36m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Can always find high picks that failed, low rd picks that worked, even FA that made it. So much team dependent, scheme dependent + coaching.
38m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Point I'm trying to make is that it's very hard to speak in absolutes when talking players, positions, schemes. A lot of factors, variables.
40m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

There could be 5, maybe 6 LT prospects taken in 1st rd of draft. Most of them likely taken due to value of position. Usually like that.
43m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Teams reach for LT prospects (ATL w/Baker a few yrs ago) because of perceived value of position. Still that way. Should it be that way?
45m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Last 4 SB win LT: Diehl (twice), aging Clifton, Bushrod, Starks. None of them high level LT. Does that mean LT should be devalued in draft.
47m Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Great debate yesterday re: RB value. Think about this. LT always considered priority position in NFL + by extension the draft. Stay awith me
15h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

To follow up my last tweet, where then does Richardson get drafted? Where should he get drafted? Could BS Martin do same thing for a team?
15h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

No question lot of late rd/FA RB have been successful. Inarguable. Question then becomes where do you draft a RB, regardless of talent?
16h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

I wasn't kidding re: McCoy, just responding to tweets. Trying to understand different viewpoints. That's what is so great about all this.

RB value great debate. Is McCoy just an interchangeable player to PHL? Are there 10-12 players that could do what he does?

Someone raised devaluation of RB issue. Another fascinating query. There are many teams, like CLE, that need to run. Is RB devalued to them?

Brees is not an exception. His traits are measurable, identifiable + quantifiable on film.Examples: decision-making, anticipation, accuracy.

My point re: Moore was not to knock him. It's that there's direct correlation between physical attributes + consistent success in NFL.

Asked about Claiborne. Smooth athlete. Not as physically gifted as P. Peterson. A fluid mirror press corner, much like way C. Bailey plays.
17h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Just asked about K. Moore. Winningest QB in NCAA. For those who believe in "he's a winner" theory, is he a 1st rd pick? Intangibls, smart.

Evolution of NFL pass game (large majority of passes <10 yds in air from LOS) enhance value of QBs. Easier throws dominate. More QB value.

Impossible to predict when next QB will go after Luck, RGIII + Tannehill. My guess: no other QB would have 1st rd grade, but you never know.

I've seen Cousins compared to Dalton. Dalton managed + manipulated by scheme but also threw with great anticipation, especially in red zone

Decision making (both pre + post snap), timing, anticipation, pocket movement, ball location can all compensate for some passing limitations

Often QB discussion revolves around what can be coached, + what can't. System critical for QBs with passing limitations. Still can succeed.

Another thought on Cousins. What I didn't see was refined pocket movement. Often drifted into pressure + increased difficulty of throws.

Cousins has sparked lot of debate. Didn't see efficiency I expected. Could drive ball better with slight change in footwork at top of drop.
20h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

I always try to remember atching college players tha a lot of guys play in the NFL + contribute. Not black + white, polarizing evaluations.

More Cousins. Tendency to drift back in response to pressure. Bad habit that must end. Would need to be highly managed by scheme.

Watched 5 gms of Cousins. Disappointed. Saw limited passer w/average arm strength. Needed functional space to throw. Plant + throw passer.

RB Poole. Liked film.Tough inside for his size. Pressed hole, cut decisively. Got skinny thru small cracks. Laterally quick. Natural wiggle.

WVU Irvin a quick accelerator. Exploded off edge. Excellent closing speed. Reminded me of Colts Mathis at times. Movement to play 3-4 OLB.

Film gave little sense of how WR Hill will transition. No routes, straight line running. Tall high cut strider with limited lateral movement

Maybe on reason you don't see true "5 techs" coming into NFL is college teams rarely play 3-4 base fronts. Always a projection with a player

Curry interesting watch. Not a get low, bend the edge rusher. More of speed to power rusher. Strong + active hands, deceptive closing speed.

A lot of questions about best "5 technique" in 3-4. League moving away from pure 3-4 fronts with "5 techs". A lot more 1 gap concepts.

Branch will be seen by many as 3-4 OLB. Not sure he has flexibility + movement skills unless primarily a pass rusher. Sub-package player?

Branch does not have explosion + flexibility of pure edge rusher. More straight line with long arms + leverage. 4-3 rush DE or 3-4 OLB?
21h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Overall with this WR class it will be very important which teams draft them. Specific skill sets that must be recognized + maximized.
21h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Asked about Kirkpatrick. Not sure why people talk about move to S. Skill set to be quality corner. Needs technique work but can be coached.
22h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Cox far more versatile than Poe. Cox "3 tech", can rush QB from inside. Also aligned at DE at MSU + showed quicks + burst as edge rusher.

RE: Poe. Always a debate among scouts/coaches re: physical/athletic skill set v. college production. No right answer.

RE: DT Poe. Outstanding skill set: Size, athleticism, quickness, burst for a 350 lb man. Concern was lack of production. Won't impact draft.

Great point made re: slot receivers. Different shapes + sizes based on team. But overall point is they are important, not afterthoughts.

More David: Played SLB at NEB. Where's best fit in NFL? Saw some similarities to D. Washington when he came out + he now plays in a 3-4.

LB David really intriguing. At times an explosive quality to his movement. Quick reactor with burst. Sideline-to-sideline range.

A lot of WR in NFL put up numbers depending on scheme. Often must separate numbers (hard in fantasy world) from actual skill set.

In a league in which fewer passes are thrown 10+ yds in air from LOS, is teh slot receiver not more important than ever? Just asking?

Asked about DT. Really like Cox. Natural athleticism + movement. Balance + flexibility to rush QB. Great scheme versatility. Played DT/DE.

Barron not a single high safety consistently (not that kind of pure range) but can easily be a half field defender in 2 deep shells.

Always tough for me to say where a player should be drafted. I don't see Jeffery as an overall 1st rd talent but each draft is own entity.

Overall Jeffery is a stright line long strider with some build up speed who lacks lateral quicks + agility. A scheme + QB specific WR.

WR Jeffery best traits size + hands. Makes contested catches. Not laterally quick. Not vertically explosive but long strides eat up ground.

Safety another position not valued highly. Will that change in this TE era? Barron easily best S in draft. Multiple skill set. Played man.

Coples been compared to M. Williams. Physical skill set similar coming out of college. Not as athletic as Peppers. Can he become pass rusher
23h Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Great point re: Osweiler v. Bosie St.: Lack of pocket toughness, locked onto primary, forced throws, inconsistent accuracy. A tough watch.

Coples at times flashed strong hands + natural power. Much more of power/strength profile. Effective as inside pass rusher in sub-packages.

Coples will be polaring in draft rooms. Power/leverage rusher more than speed/quickness rusher. Didn't have flexibility of edge rusher.

Here's question based on extensive study of NFL tape: Why are slot WR + slot corners not valued more highly? Seem simply as scheme players?

RE; Osweiler QB often drafted much higher than grades. Didn't think Osweiler had arm strength I'm reading about. Not naturally accurate.

RB Martin: Ran with velocity + power. Low center of gravity. Balance + body control. Some wiggle but not elusive. Mentality of feature back.

Someone said Osweiler could get into 1st rd. Absolutely not 1st rd QB re: on tape. Needed functional space to step into throws. Big concern.

RB Miller I see as pure zone scheme runner. Excellent downhill burst but not much lateral explosion. Critical difference. One cut + go.

A lot of responses re: McClellan. Here's a bold + controversial comment: See some down the road similarities to Packers C. Matthews.

Great point made re: WR who struggle to separate v. man. Dependent on scheme + QB. Why college production must be put in right context.

Kept watching LSU Brockers. More + more games. A project. A player who will be drafted based on what he might become not what he is now.

Facinated by pointless debate re: Richardson's 40 time. Irrelevant. Top end speed might be least important attribute to be great NFL back.

# of WR scheme specific. Will need to be utilized in specific ways. Jeffery + Sanu fit that profile. Can they win v. man on outside.

Player I loved watching was SDSU LB Burriss. Trying to figure out where he best projects. Don't see him as a pure rush LB. Need help.

LIked RB Pead. Naturally quick + explosive. Dynamic + decisive north-south runner.Some similarities to J. Charles when he came out of Texas.

Menzie a great discussion. Lot of people project him to S. My question is why. Great slot corner. Would likely play about 60% of snaps.

3 interesting players re: high % of 3 WR sets + nickel personnel: WRs Wylie + Wright, + CB Menzie. Menzie best slot CB I saw on film.

Thought C. Jones had similar body type to CIN DE Dunlap. Dunlap more naturally athletic. Jones intriguing re: size, length, movement combo.

Many players become, especially on D, function of how they are utilized. C. Jones (Syr) to me is not a 3-4 OLB. Others will disagree.

One of most intriguing prospects is Graham. Most vertically explosive WR in draft. Small frame, + limited understanding of route running.
31 Mar Greg Cosell Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Like CB Gilmore. Need to see more. Quick feet, fluid hips, smooth change of direction. Aggressive + challenging in off coverage + press man.

2 small scholl corners I liked are Bentley + Steed. Bentley off coverage cluer, reads thru from WR to QB. Steed quicker on film than 40 time

Thought McClellan just scratching surface as pass rusher. Balance + body control. Ability to get skinny as blitzer from 2 point stance.

See it different than some but like McClellan as 3-4 OLB. Naturally athletic. Thought he was deceptively explosive with change of direction.

WR Jenkins interesting prospect. Ability to play outside + in slot. Both short area quicks + vertical speed, especially with free access.

Will Eagles look to draft an OT in 1st rd? 2 best FA options ar elikely McNeil + Bell. Bell intriguing. Some potential as starting LT.

Some of my players on film (does not mean they will all be 1st rd picks): LB McClellan, C Jones, RB Pead, S Mitchell, WR Jenkins.

Let's talk some football on Final Four Saturday. Less than a month until the draft.I have now seen about 175 players on film. It's been fun.