22 Doug Flutie days 'til the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Thought about doing this around day 30 but put if off. Not that it'lll make the days go by any more quickly but I like associating numbers and the players who wore them.

If one prefers to keep it Rams related, I'd go with John Cappellettii. When are they going to release Something for Joey on dvd, anyway?

Who's your #22?

Edit: now that I think about it, Flutie was drafted by the Rams before he chose to go the USFL so there is a connection, tenuous as it is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Emmitt Smith is the person who pops in my mind when I think #22.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My condolences.

Very durable. VERY overrated.

Nah. Disagree strongly. If anything, it's the opposite. Doesn't get the credit he's due. Far too many people credit the guys in front of him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah. Disagree strongly. If anything, it's the opposite. Doesn't get the credit he's due. Far too many people credit the guys in front of him.
How does one not do that? One of the greatest o-line's ever assembled and IMO, many RB's would have had similar success and not needed as many carries to get there.

How about this guy?

2013-12-1513_50_09.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does one not do that? One of the greatest o-line's ever assembled and IMO, many RB's would have had similar success and not needed as many carries to get there.

Well, if we want to have this discussion, the man was dominant long before that OL was assembled. In 1993, before Larry Allen was drafted, Emmitt Smith held out the first 2 games, playing sparingly in his first game back(didn't start) and missed almost another entire game with an injury.

Here's what the Cowboys OTHER HBs did in those games:
65 carries
253 yards
3.89 YPC
63.25 YPG
2 TDs
0.50 TDPG
Cowboys Record: 1-3

Here's what Emmitt did in his 16 games(counting the playoffs):
340 carries
1720 yards
5.05 YPC
107.50 YPG
12 TDs
0.75 TDPG
Cowboys Record: 15-1

The OL making Emmitt is a myth. Guy was dominant with much of the same OLs from the team in 1989 that couldn't provide any running lanes(Stepnoski, Tuinei, Newton, Gogan).

SierraRam

Recreational User
My brother actually has this card! U of Texas star and Detroit Lion HOF'er:

Bobby_Layne.jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In 1964 Deacon Jones unofficially records first 20-sack season in league history with 22.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Does this thread come with instructions? It sounds fun but i'm not sure. #22 only?
Emmett Smith was also the first guy that comes to mind.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Does this thread come with instructions? It sounds fun but i'm not sure. #22 only?
Emmett Smith was also the first guy that comes to mind.
If you want to keep it Rams related, think of a Ram player that wore #22. If not, then anybody. 22 days to the draft, who wore #22 is all I was going for.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The OL making Emmitt is a myth. Guy was dominant with much of the same OLs from the team in 1989 that couldn't provide any running lanes(Stepnoski, Tuinei, Newton, Gogan).
Yes, he far out-performed Derrick Lassic that year but that doesn't really change my opinion that any number of other starting caliber NFL RB's could have done what he did on those teams. When I think of Emmitt, I think of Eddie George. Workhorses to be sure, but not guys I'd put at the top of all-time great RB's. Durability is admirable but not what I value as greatness.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, he far out-performed Derrick Lassic that year but that doesn't really change my opinion that any number of other starting caliber NFL RB's could have done what he did on those teams. When I think of Emmitt, I think of Eddie George. Workhorses to be sure, but not guys I'd put at the top of all-time great RB's. Durability is admirable but not what I value as greatness.

I dont really see a good or great oline as a fault when ranking RB's. No Rb in the history of the nfl has succeeded without blocking up front. Thats just the nature of the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Except Eddie George had a great OL and wasn't nearly the HB that Emmitt was. Emmitt was definitely a guy I'd put near the top of the list of the best all HBs of all time. People are enamored with flash. Emmitt may not have had "flash" but he had substance. He was reliable and incredibly effective. So much so...that people credit his OL with his success.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I dont really see a good or great oline as a fault when ranking RB's. No Rb in the history of the nfl has succeeded without blocking up front. Thats just the nature of the game.
I can think of a few RB's that didn't have good or great o-lines...Payton and Sanders come to mind.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Except Eddie George had a great OL and wasn't nearly the HB that Emmitt was. Emmitt was definitely a guy I'd put near the top of the list of the best all HBs of all time. People are enamored with flash. Emmitt may not have had "flash" but he had substance. He was reliable and incredibly effective. So much so...that people credit his OL with his success.
And I don't consider George to be one of the greats either. Workhorse back, just like Emmitt.