21 Reps For Clowney.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I don't usually put any stock into any workout at the combine, but wow

https://twitter.com/NFL_CFB?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F0ap2000000328386%2Farticle%2Fjadeveon-clowney-puts-up-just-21-reps-in-bench-press&tw_i=437667683207618560&tw_p=tweetembed
Jadeveon Clowney puts up just 21 reps in bench press

South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney didn't wow anybody Sunday with his bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine, putting up just 21 reps at 225 pounds.

There were 14 defensive linemen at last year's combine who had at least 28 reps, and Georgia Southern's Jerick McKinnon led the running backs at this year's combine with 32. Heck, Miami punter Pat O'Donnell had 23 reps this year.

Clowney measured 6-foot-5 and 266 pounds, with an arm length of 34½ inches, at the combine weigh-in. Granted, big bench-press numbers are not the be-all, end-all for defensive ends, especially those who possess rare pass-rush skills, but the 21 still is a low number.

Defensive end Mario Williams, who went first to Houston in the 2006 draft, had 35 reps at the combine. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Saturday that Clowney has "more upside than Mario Williams ever dreamed of" and that Clowney has the skill set and talent to be "the most dominant player in the league."

But Mayock also openly questioned Clowney's intensity level. Mayock said because there are questions about the possible answer, Clowney might not be the first non-quarterback selected in May. Mayock said that would happen "solely because of inconsistencies off the field and the work ethic."

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
I really am thinking we need to stay far away from him. I just don't like his intensity level or attitude towards the game. :sleep:

Memphis Ram

Legend
You'd like to see more, but with 34 1/4" arms I'll take it. Anybody know what Jevon Kearse did. They seem to be about the same size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be fair Robert Quinn only did 22 and he's the best defensive player in football, it's more Clowney's comment of "I'm going to blow everyone away."

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
To be fair Robert Quinn only did 22 and he's the best defensive player in football, it's more Clowney's comment of "I'm going to blow everyone away."
The non-homer best defensive player in the league, JJ Watt, clocked up 34 reps.

Bench pressing isn't the be-all and end-all but, as you said, Clowney hardly blew anybody away today.

duckhunter

Starter
Was he using both hands? He's gonna use the other hand tomorrow.

I want to believe in the guy. The quickness and speed is what we really need to see.